[GUIDE] Genymotion | Installing ARM Translation and GApps[Updated Nov.16]

Search This thread

kevin_3_57

Mar 31, 2011
Yes I've encountered this problem to. Trying to run Epic Citadel gets me a Logo and then the VM crashes, and logcat starts looping similar info. It seems to be related to OpenGL and some bugs in LibHoudini. Unfortunately I have no way of compiling LibHoudini myself, nor the skills or expertise to investigate and fix this issue. So sadly we'll just have to deal with this big bug for now, and hope an experienced and kind hearted Dev comes along and lends a hand, that or Genymotion bring back ARM support themselves. Whichever comes first :p

I'm sorry that I can't help you with this one.

Don't worry, it was a long shot I guess. It's a shame because Genymotion is really fast and it would be a huge development plus having it working with Unity games. Do you know if there's an old version of geny that actually works with ARM? Or some other emulator I could check out?

Thanks!

japzone

Dec 25, 2010
Don't worry, it was a long shot I guess. It's a shame because Genymotion is really fast and it would be a huge development plus having it working with Unity games. Do you know if there's an old version of geny that actually works with ARM? Or some other emulator I could check out?

Thanks!

You can't really dig up old Genymotion anymore, but you can check out Bluestacks. They have ARM support and OpenGL working pretty well, but it's more locked down than Genymotion(ie: no root, adb, or Gapps without tons of elbow grease) so it's not an easy thing to develop apps on. It's really designed to be an Android App player, not builder. But if you just need to run certain apps on it then it works. For any app you can't get from third-party appstores you'll have to rip the APK from an Android device or Genymotion.

Last edited:

kevin_3_57

Mar 31, 2011
You can't really dig up old Genymotion anymore, but you can check out Bluestacks. They have ARM support and OpenGL working pretty well, but it's more locked down than Genymotion(ie: no root, adb, or Gapps without tons of elbow grease) so it's not an easy thing to develop apps on. It's really designed to be an Android App player, not builder. But if you just need to run certain apps on it then it works. For any app you can't get from third-party appstores you'll have to rip the APK from an Android device or Genymotion.

I checked out Bluestacks and for my surprise it actually connects to adb. After install, I opened it adn adb devices gave me the emulator, so now I'm able to install the apk right from the command line. So for me, this is it, this is what I was looking for.

Thanks for your help man!

japzone

Dec 25, 2010
I checked out Bluestacks and for my surprise it actually connects to adb. After install, I opened it adn adb devices gave me the emulator, so now I'm able to install the apk right from the command line. So for me, this is it, this is what I was looking for.

Thanks for your help man!

Oh, they must have changed that in more recent versions. I haven't bothered to update mine in awhile.

eddie2020

Jan 15, 2012
I can't drag and drop at all. As the files enter the player window they turn into a cancel sign. No files ever get transferred.

I was able to get this working by installing genymotion on another computer, I was able to flash both zips on that computer. So now I've just copied over the working image to the non working one.

Thanks for the help though!

i also need help in this.. how to drag and drop? i put the option in bidirection on advance tab of the oracle..
but it still have the cancel sign when i drag into the vm

i have adb installed..

Last edited:

japzone

Dec 25, 2010
i also need help in this.. how to drag and drop? i put the option in bidirection on advance tab of the oracle..
but it still have the cancel sign when i drag into the vm

i have adb installed..

Did you add the Android-SDK location to your Genymotion settings? Not Virtualbox settings. You shouldn't mess with the settings in Virtualbox unless you really need to modify how the VM works in a non standard way. Genymotion takes care of everything in Virtualbox when you make a VM.

Also you don't add the exact location of adb, but the folder above it.

eddie2020

Jan 15, 2012
Did you add the Android-SDK location to your Genymotion settings? Not Virtualbox settings. You shouldn't mess with the settings in Virtualbox unless you really need to modify how the VM works in a non standard way. Genymotion takes care of everything in Virtualbox when you make a VM.

Also you don't add the exact location of adb, but the folder above it.
i extract the adt bundle into this location
inside the adt bundle folder have sdk , eclipse and sdk manager
C:/Program Files/Genymobile/Genymotion/adt-bundle-windows-x86_64-20131030

i open genymotion and open setting
under setting, ADB tab i choose
C:/Program Files/Genymobile/Genymotion/adt-bundle-windows-x86_64-20131030/sdk

if i put C:/Program Files/Genymobile/Genymotion/adt-bundle-windows-x86_64-20131030 without going in SDK it will write unable to find adb in this path

then i google around i saw one of the person say what enable the drag and drop inside oracle vm, the original setting its disable, i change it to bidirectional.. but still same...

please help

japzone

Dec 25, 2010
i extract the adt bundle into this location
inside the adt bundle folder have sdk , eclipse and sdk manager
C:/Program Files/Genymobile/Genymotion/adt-bundle-windows-x86_64-20131030

i open genymotion and open setting
under setting, ADB tab i choose
C:/Program Files/Genymobile/Genymotion/adt-bundle-windows-x86_64-20131030/sdk

if i put C:/Program Files/Genymobile/Genymotion/adt-bundle-windows-x86_64-20131030 without going in SDK it will write unable to find adb in this path

then i google around i saw one of the person say what enable the drag and drop inside oracle vm, the original setting its disable, i change it to bidirectional.. but still same...

please help
The drag&drop Genymotion uses is it's own method, Virtualbox's features have no effect on it. What you need to do is download this ZIP, then extract the folder inside to C:\android-sdk-tools. Then you point Genymotion's settings to C:\android-sdk-tools\(not the platform-tools folder that's inside it.) You should then be able to drag&drop.

eddie2020

Jan 15, 2012
The drag&drop Genymotion uses is it's own method, Virtualbox's features have no effect on it. What you need to do is download this ZIP, then extract the folder inside to C:\android-sdk-tools. Then you point Genymotion's settings to C:\android-sdk-tools\(not the platform-tools folder that's inside it.) You should then be able to drag&drop.

seems i keep cant get the virtual box running... got error when i want to run...
and few time bsod... ~.~ did u guys get bsod

3rd time go in no bsod, loaded into the vm xperia 4.3
failed to drag n drop.. it still showing the sign..

Last edited:

japzone

Dec 25, 2010
seems i keep cant get the virtual box running... got error when i want to run...
and few time bsod... ~.~ did u guys get bsod

3rd time go in no bsod, loaded into the vm xperia 4.3
failed to drag n drop.. it still showing the sign..

Wait, so now your PC is BSODing? That's not supposed to happen.

Also it sounds like you tweaked one too many settings in Virtualbox which is now preventing your VM from booting. You'll probably need to start a fresh VM, and this time don't go messing with the VB settings. Follow my steps from above to setup ADB and then startup your fresh new VM.

Life Lessons: Don't go changing random settings unless you know exactly what those settings are for, otherwise you'll just end up making things worse instead of better. Also when looking up a fix to a problem it's best to research the problem for all the software you're using. ie: Check with people who know about Genymotion and not just Virtualbox for help.

eddie2020

Jan 15, 2012
Wait, so now your PC is BSODing? That's not supposed to happen.

Also it sounds like you tweaked one too many settings in Virtualbox which is now preventing your VM from booting. You'll probably need to start a fresh VM, and this time don't go messing with the VB settings. Follow my steps from above to setup ADB and then startup your fresh new VM.

Life Lessons: Don't go changing random settings unless you know exactly what those settings are for, otherwise you'll just end up making things worse instead of better. Also when looking up a fix to a problem it's best to research the problem for all the software you're using. ie: Check with people who know about Genymotion and not just Virtualbox for help.

the bsod is quite randomly, it happen from my 1st time installation without and changes... even fresh reinstall it happen sometimes..

i dont have any friend who use this, usually i am first mover among my friend for pc stuff..

then jz now when work after i fresh reinstall, i reach home and boot up again, i cant connect to internet... it auto using the virtual adapter for network.. i uninstall it only work back... now all stuff are uninstalled...

so now i do the fresh work again, install genymotion 2.0.1 with vm... then after install geny it will auto pop out vm to install..
after finish vm i open geny, and set the adb path at c;ADB . .
download nexus 4.3
run...
geeeee.jpg

sometimes reinstall all become like this, need few more reinstall procedure maybe.. even can run but cant drag and drop..
actually my goal is just get a google play inside the android machine.. any other idea?
how u all install? seperately or 2.0.1 with vbox inside

Last edited:

japzone

Dec 25, 2010
Ok, I don't know how but things have gotten really messed up on your PC. So let's try being completely fresh.

-Uninstall both Genymotion and Virtualbox, then reboot.
-Now download and install the latest version of Virtualbox.
-Then install Genymotion, open it, and make sure in it's settings it's pointed properly to the Android SDK(the one I pointed you to before) and and to Virtualbox's location(usually C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\). Genymotion should tell you if it's found them correctly.
-Now download and setup a new VM(Try the Nexus 7 4.3 image)
-Now launch the VM from Genymotion. If it boots continue with the steps, if not let me know.
-Once you're on the Homescreen drag&drop the ARM Translation zip onto the window, say "yes" when asked, then reboot the VM
-Finally drag&drop the GApps zip, say "yes", and then reboot the VM

That's it. Let me know if you still have issues.

the bsod is quite randomly, it happen from my 1st time installation without and changes... even fresh reinstall it happen sometimes..

i dont have any friend who use this, usually i am first mover among my friend for pc stuff..

then jz now when work after i fresh reinstall, i reach home and boot up again, i cant connect to internet... it auto using the virtual adapter for network.. i uninstall it only work back... now all stuff are uninstalled...

so now i do the fresh work again, install genymotion 2.0.1 with vm... then after install geny it will auto pop out vm to install..
after finish vm i open geny, and set the adb path at c;ADB . .
download nexus 4.3
run...
geeeee.jpg

sometimes reinstall all become like this, need few more reinstall procedure maybe.. even can run but cant drag and drop..
actually my goal is just get a google play inside the android machine.. any other idea?
how u all install? seperately or 2.0.1 with vbox inside

eddie2020

Jan 15, 2012
Ok, I don't know how but things have gotten really messed up on your PC. So let's try being completely fresh.

-Now download and install the latest version of Virtualbox.
-Then install Genymotion, open it, and make sure in it's settings it's pointed properly to the Android SDK(the one I pointed you to before) and and to Virtualbox's location(usually C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\). Genymotion should tell you if it's found them correctly.
-Now download and setup a new VM(Try the Nexus 7 4.3 image)
-Now launch the VM from Genymotion. If it boots continue with the steps, if not let me know.
-Once you're on the Homescreen drag&drop the ARM Translation zip onto the window, say "yes" when asked, then reboot the VM
-Finally drag&drop the GApps zip, say "yes", and then reboot the VM

That's it. Let me know if you still have issues.
did this

- download and install the latest version of Virtualbox. 4.3.4
-Reboot after the VB installed..
-Then install Genymotion 2.0.1
-Run it and download new VM nexus 4.3
-Run the nexus, pop out for SDK... choosed the file in C:/android-sdk-tools for geny motion <- place i extract and renamed the folder..
- Valid path it found..
-Play nexus 7 again
- starting virtual machine...
-BooM picture below

Untitled.png

2nd run it pop out the same but without the force cpu thinggy..it write wrong ip , 3rd run it say unable to load

my laptop spec
Asus A53SV
i5
4gb ram
GT540M nvdia (1gb memory)
window 7 64bit sp1

Last edited:

japzone

Dec 25, 2010
Ah, you didn't tell me about that other Warning message. According to Genymotion you don't have your Virtualization option enabled in your BIOS. Try going into your BIOS and search for an option to enable "Virtualization" or "VT-x". Basically what it does is allow programs to gain direct access to the hardware allowing them to more easily utilize unused resources and get better performance in VMs. More info can be found on Wikipedia.

Try turning that on and see if it helps.
did this

- download and install the latest version of Virtualbox. 4.3.4
-Reboot after the VB installed..
-Then install Genymotion 2.0.1
-Run it and download new VM nexus 4.3
-Run the nexus, pop out for SDK... choosed the file in C:/android-sdk-tools for geny motion <- place i extract and renamed the folder..
- Valid path it found..
-Play nexus 7 again
- starting virtual machine...
-BooM picture below

Untitled.png

2nd run it pop out the same but without the force cpu thinggy..it write wrong ip , 3rd run it say unable to load

my laptop spec
Asus A53SV
i5
4gb ram
GT540M nvdia (1gb memory)
window 7 64bit sp1

eddie2020

Jan 15, 2012
Ah, you didn't tell me about that other Warning message. According to Genymotion you don't have your Virtualization option enabled in your BIOS. Try going into your BIOS and search for an option to enable "Virtualization" or "VT-x". Basically what it does is allow programs to gain direct access to the hardware allowing them to more easily utilize unused resources and get better performance in VMs. More info can be found on Wikipedia.

Try turning that on and see if it helps.

but previous i successful run it only cant drag n drop, now cant run keep poop the msg or other msg..
i dont see the option in my laptop bios..

jz_train

Oct 11, 2013
Working like a charm on Arch. I can't believe it's as simple as a drag and drop to install flashable zips. Man that is sweet. Thanks for the tip and thanks for the ARM Translation as an added bonus!

EDIT: on genymotion 2.0.3 android 4.3

blu2lz

Nov 21, 2012
Yes I've encountered this problem to. Trying to run Epic Citadel gets me a Logo and then the VM crashes, and logcat starts looping similar info. It seems to be related to OpenGL and some bugs in LibHoudini. Unfortunately I have no way of compiling LibHoudini myself, nor the skills or expertise to investigate and fix this issue. So sadly we'll just have to deal with this big bug for now, and hope an experienced and kind hearted Dev comes along and lends a hand, that or Genymotion bring back ARM support themselves. Whichever comes first :p

I get the same issue. The VM is running without problem but when I start "The Simpsons - Tapped Out" it immediately crashed. The stack trace shows an error in strncpy and dvm2hdinit in libhoudini.so. Unfortunately I have no access to the source code, AFAIR it is closed source produced by intel.

The VM is running on AMD cpu with radeon HD 4250 with radeon open source driver in linux.

On my brother's laptop tapped out is working without a problem. He has intel cpu with i915 open source driver in linux but it is also working with the nvidia card with nvidia-current of ubuntu 13.10.

So it seems to me that it is related to the underlying system. I will test with different systems when I'm back home.

Could anyone at least tell me what dvm2hdinit does? So I can start to debug what is missing.

capsule46

Jan 9, 2011
Great.. find this tuts useful that help me creating android apps using genymotion. No more ABI Incompatible :)

blu2lz

Nov 21, 2012
I found out that it is unrelated to graphics driver. There must be some packages missing.

Same setup with ubuntu 13.10 and radeon driver works with kde installed. I use a very basic system with awesome as wm, so at least I can now state that it is no bug in libhoudini but a problem with missing dependencies. Of course it is not that easy to find the one package missing out of hundreds of thousands. Logcat is not showing a hint, I will try to compare installed packages between systems but it can take a while.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    UPDATE May 28th, 2017: This guide is no longer supported and probably doesn't work. Please don't use it or ask for support anymore.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Genymotion is a Virtual Android Environment built on x86 and Virtualbox. It's not an ARM emulator so it's performance is way better than the Android SDK Emulator. However in their latest update they've removed both ARM Translation and Google Play Apps. (This is what causes the "INSTALL_FAILED_CPU_ABI_INCOMPATIBLE" errors) Many Devs and Users still find these features very useful for various reasons and their removal has forced people to look for alternatives to Genymotion.

This guide is for getting back both ARM Translation and Google Play apps in your Genymotion VM.

ATTENTION(April 11th): Sadly Dropbox has informed me I've surpassed reasonable Bandwidth Usage and has temporarily disabled my Public Links. I don't blame them considering I've reached a steady 1400+ downloads per day, which equals an impressive 12.5+GB of bandwidth per day. Part of this is probably because people started Hot Linking my file for their guides. So for the foreseeable future I can't provide direct downloads of the ARM Translation, but I'll have plenty of Mirrors. I'm sorry to the numerous people that created Guides in numerous languages, since I have to kill the link in your Guides. Please don't hesitate to use one of my new links.

PS: I'm sorry if I haven't been very talkative and helpful lately. Work has been piling up and sleep is decreasing. Plus my computer is being "difficult". Haven't had a chance to even update Genymotion to v2.2.0. I hope I'll be able to get back into the dirt soon.

Note(Feb 2nd): Contrary to previous reports, it's been discovered that Android 4.4 does in fact work with ARM Translation, although it is buggy. Follow the steps the same as before, just make sure you download the 4.4 GApps.

UPDATE-v1.1: I've gotten more up-to-date builds of libhoudini and have updated the ZIP. This fixes a lot of app crashes and hangs. Just flash the new one and it should work.

1. Download the following ZIPs:
    2. Next Open your Genymotion VM and go to the Homescreen
    3. Now Drag&Drop the Genymotion-ARM-Translation.zip onto the Genymotion VM window.
    4. It should say "File transfer in progress", once it asks you to flash it click 'OK'
    5. Now Reboot your VM using ADB or an app like ROM Toolbox. If nescessary you can simply close the VM window, but I don't recommend it.
    6. Once you're on the Homescreen again Drag&Drop the gapps-jb-20130813-signed.zip(or whatever version you got) onto your VM, and click 'OK' when asked
    7. Once it finishes, again Reboot your VM and open the Google Play Store.
    8. Sign in using your Google account
    9. Once in the Store go to the 'My Apps' menu and let everything update(fixes a lot of issues), also try updating Google Play Services directly.
    10. Now try searching for 'Netflix' and 'Google Drive'
    11. If both apps show up in the results and you're able to Download/Install them, then congrats you now have ARM support and Google Play fully setup!
    I've tested this on Genymotion v2.0.1 Using Android 4.3 images. Feel free to skip the GApps steps if you only want the ARM support. It'll work perfectly fine by itself.

If you have any problems please don't hesitate to ask for help below.

Michael Z. - Provided newer system image
    taob - Provided Reference Image

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Old Zips:(DON'T DOWNLOAD! Kept for archival purposes, unlikely to solve any issues you might have.)
    ARM Translation v1.0 - http://goo.gl/CL4os6 Hosted by FILETRIP(Mirrors)
    So far, seems that it's working for people. I've gotten feedback on other sites and I've only had one user report trouble installing GApps. Remember, if you have any issues let me know. I'm currently looking into problems with some Apps and Games that hang when opened.
    for anyone searching for current gapps solution..
    flash open-gapps (x86 package). works perfectly. no need for ARM translation zip.
    for root, i have only managed to get SuperSU 2.46 to work.
    https://download.chainfire.eu/696/SuperSU/
    Install WithOUT Drag and Drop?

For whatever reason, drag and drop USED to work for me. But now it simply doesn't. I've tried many times to get it to work, uninstalling everything, re-installing, plenty of reboots, verifying sdk paths, blah blah blah, but I've given up.

There's got to be a way to do this without drag and dropping. Can anyone advise me on how to flash these zips without Genymotion's drag-n-drop feature?

*EDIT-UPDATE*
    I solved my issue by doing two things:
    1. Avoiding 4.4.2.
    2. Installing the two zips via adb push.

I used 4.2.2, which is acceptable for my testing purposes. I then extracted both zip's "/system/..." folders to a folder on my desktop.
    In cmd prompt I used the following commands (step 0 is optional and for verification that adb is working):
    0. adb devices
    1. adb remount
    2. adb push "C:\Users\John\Desktop\GenyF_cked\system" /system

May take a bit of time to push everything, but once it does, try opening Google Play and logging in and all that. Working for me, finally. Too bad Genymotions drag and drop seems to be royally screwed for me and my machine. Whatever, I'll be doing this from now on. Hope it helps anyone else having the same issues.
    Never mind

The verdict is in. After talking with some other users it seems that ARM Translation is not working in Android 4.4 KitKat Genymotion images. I haven't been able to confirm it myself(do to issues requiring me to Refresh Windows), but it seems a for sure thing now. I can't tell you what exactly is the cause until my PC is working again, but don't hold your breath for ARM Translation on Android 4.4. For now you'll just have to use Android 4.0-4.3 if you want to use ARM apps.Errr... nevermind. Read my next post.

Some good news is that the Google Apps for Android 4.4 that are floating around seem to work, you just can't install any ARM apps. The CM11 GApps should work, just download them from HERE