[NEW] PIM Backup v2.8 [NEW]

Search This thread

hammermedia

Mar 9, 2006
Chicago
Export?

I have a HTC Touch Pro and decided to do a hard reset and then re-store all the contacts, SMS msgs, tasks, etc.. One of the things the TP does is keep SMS messages grouped by contact and display them in a threaded form. I'm sure other phones do a similar thing.

Anyway, after doing the reset followed by the re-store of the data, I noticed all my SMS messages, were now out of order. All my messages (Sent items) were grouped together and all the senders messages (Inbox items) were grouped before mine. In other words, when scrolling through older messages, I had to scroll through all the Sent items before I could see the Inbox items for a particular contact. The SMS msg's where nolonger threaded.

Upon further investigation by looking inside the PIB file and opening the msgs.csm file, I saw that all the data was grouped as described above, all Inbox items were at the top and all Sent items were at the bottom of the file. So I decided to open the file with Excel, re-sort based on delivery date and then do a restore of just the msgs.csm file to the phone. This resulted in all the messages being entered into the database in the order they were received and sent, thus showing them in a threaded order for the various communications.

Hope that makes sense?

I understand what it's doing, the software parses the various mail folders in order, adding the contents to the file before saving it.

What I'm wondering though is if there is anyway to have the software maintain the threaded relationship of the messages or to reorder the contents of the msgs.csm based on the delivery date (column 17) of the message rather then store them based on folder location? This way on re-store, phones that allow you to see a threaded version of the conversation, will maintain that threaded look.

I did the non-binary backup, extracted the csm on my pc, imported to excel, modified the records.

How did you export the data from Excel so it could be restored by PIM backup? Also, did multiline messages import correctly?

THANKS!

smotrs

Nov 16, 2008
So. Calif.
I did the non-binary backup, extracted the csm on my pc, imported to excel, modified the records.

How did you export the data from Excel so it could be restored by PIM backup? Also, did multiline messages import correctly?

THANKS!
I just did a CTRL+A (select all) in Excel, and pasted it into the extracted messages.csm file replacing it's current content. Leaving the one in the zip file alone in case I needed to start over. Be sure to replace all TAB characters with a semi-colon. Be careful, on the first line with all the headings, it will add 5 trailing semi-colons at the end of the line which have to be deleted. Also, any time you sent a message to multiple people, you'll get multiple semi-colons on messages that followed it. These also need to be deleted as there should be no trailing semi-colons on any of the lines. Pretty much do a search for 5 (;;;;; ) semi-colons and any row that it finds, delete all trailing semi-colons.

Then I uploaded both the ZIP file and the single CSM file back to my phone after the HR. When I did the restore, I restored the ZIP file first and unselected the messages option. After it finished I did a second restore and browsed to the CSM file which restored only messages at that point.

Not sure about the multi-line messages as I had to modify the CSM file Subject column as I'll explain below. So prior to importing into Excel, I went through the CSM file and corrected the multi-line messages back to individual lines, in other words, each row was a complete message with all it's fields.

My problem was, whenever a message actually contained semi-colons (; ) because of smilies or something, it would break that message into multiple cells due to import into Excel being parsed by semi-colons. This resulted in more then 21 columns in that particular row because of the extra semi-colon character existing. I wrote a VB routine which I imported into the Excel VB editor which allowed me to select the entire Subject column, look for all the rows which had this extra character and recombine them correctly into the single cell resulting into a 21 column row again.

NOTE: When importing the original CSM file into Excel, make sure you use Delimited with a delimiter of ; and a Text Qualifier of {none}. Otherwise it will remove all the quotes (") as well and your file may not be valid when you do a restore.

PG101

RC-RT Liaison Admin - Devil's Advocate
Staff member
Aug 12, 2008
Will this work on the Xperia??? I have an HTC Diamond and want to switzh over the Xperia... can i use the backed up file on Diamond to restore on the Xperia?

ivanmara

Aug 12, 2008
Why i cannot select folder on miniSD card (only memory filesystem) to making custom folder backup? ... and doesnt save custom files and folders setting (((

Last edited:
First of all I like to thanks Fred for his work and for sharing his work with our comunity.
It also surprise me that he is always open to listen to the discovered bugs and takes time to solve them. So I hope this reflects that I apreciate this very much.

Now with the program.

I want a program to backup my speed dials and hope PimBackup can make it. But as for the comments it doesn't. I have read EVERY of the 100 pages before writing to make sure of this problem. Strange is that every post that mentions this is not answered. Most strange is that Fred is always open to correct the bugs.

I'm running the oficial version of HTC WM 6.1 and I was running also the oficial version of HTC WM 6.0 wich came with my cruise.

My setting were with binary backup (faster) enabled. I tried it and turned the verbose mode to analize the result and I can see the following:

Starting speed dials backup ...
Connecting to the speed dials database ...
Connected to the database.
Retrieving speed dials infos ...
1 speed dial to be retrieved.
1. number '#0' saved.
1 speed dial successfully saved.
Disconnecting from the speed dials database...
Disconnected.
Adding speed dials to backup file ...
Starting tasks backup ...

Hope this can help.

So Fred, can you tell us if you are aware of this and you are able to correct it? I can be your beta tester if you need, so I can test and send you the results.

Thanks in advance for al you work !!!!!

Hi again Fred. Any advance with the speed dial issue?

Best regards.

polppol

Nov 26, 2005
i try on my Touch HD but Scheduled backup don't work
i just do nothing when the time thai i set arrive
how should i do?

reesu

Nov 19, 2008
Commande line?

Is there any way to restore silently a backup by command line
is there any command line possible action ?

(thanks GREAT APP)

smotrs

Nov 16, 2008
So. Calif.
thanks! now if I hard reset then what?
Before you Hard Reset
  1. Store the PIMBackup program/executable on your SD card
  2. Run PIMBackup and backup your phones information
  3. Change the Backup Folder to \Storage Card
  4. Click Next to proceed with Backup
Follow onscreen prompts/instructions, when done, verify that the file PIMBackup_XXXXXXXX (X's being the date) was saved to the Storage Card

After you do your Hard Reset
  1. Launch the phones File Explorer
  2. Locate and launch PIMBackup (if you stored it on the SD card, look there)
  3. Change Action to Restore
  4. Click the Browse button and locate the PIMBackup_XXXXXXXX file created above
  5. Click Next to proceed with Restore
Follow on screen prompts/instructions

Eggert

Dec 19, 2003
I have backupped my SMS from WM5 on my Himalaya. I've just upgraded the device to WM6.1.

I try to restore the SMS but it seems that there are only the sent items in the conversation lists but I checked to save and restore all items.

Is there any hint why this doesn't work?

Thanks,
Eggert

smotrs

Nov 16, 2008
So. Calif.
Eggert, read post #998, I suspect that's what your seeing.

If that is the problem, look for some of my other posts which explains how I fixed it.

metal450

Jan 1, 2008
I have a HTC Touch Pro and decided to do a hard reset and then re-store all the contacts, SMS msgs, tasks, etc.. One of the things the TP does is keep SMS messages grouped by contact and display them in a threaded form. I'm sure other phones do a similar thing.

Anyway, after doing the reset followed by the re-store of the data, I noticed all my SMS messages, were now out of order. All my messages (Sent items) were grouped together and all the senders messages (Inbox items) were grouped before mine. In other words, when scrolling through older messages, I had to scroll through all the Sent items before I could see the Inbox items for a particular contact. The SMS msg's where nolonger threaded.

Upon further investigation by looking inside the PIB file and opening the msgs.csm file, I saw that all the data was grouped as described above, all Inbox items were at the top and all Sent items were at the bottom of the file. So I decided to open the file with Excel, re-sort based on delivery date and then do a restore of just the msgs.csm file to the phone. This resulted in all the messages being entered into the database in the order they were received and sent, thus showing them in a threaded order for the various communications.

Hope that makes sense?

I understand what it's doing, the software parses the various mail folders in order, adding the contents to the file before saving it.

What I'm wondering though is if there is anyway to have the software maintain the threaded relationship of the messages or to reorder the contents of the msgs.csm based on the delivery date (column 17) of the message rather then store them based on folder location? This way on re-store, phones that allow you to see a threaded version of the conversation, will maintain that threaded look.

Ditto. I'd REALLY love to see this :)

trjons

Nov 6, 2006
There are 102 pages so forgive me if this has been asked before but is there a way that I can import into Outlook on a PC my appointments from my *.PIB file?

I've created a backup of just the appointments.

lastnikita

Sep 3, 2006
not sure if fred is still monitoring this, but an option to save PIMBackup settings within the backups it creates would be nice.
I'm getting tired of configuring the 'custom' files to backup, after each hard reset :)

mccune

Nov 21, 2005
www.mccune.nl
Just configure the backup like the way you want it. After this export the registry keys. Next time you just import the registry settings and you're done ;)

lastnikita

Sep 3, 2006
Just configure the backup like the way you want it. After this export the registry keys. Next time you just import the registry settings and you're done ;)

yep I should have done that, but yet my suggestion would be a better solution ;)
where are its settings located in reg please ? Instead I will just add them to the .cab :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    PIM Backup v2.8(Release date 20 Jan 2008)

- fix for keeping old files when value is 10 (schedule options)
    - fix for subfolders having same name as folders under root (messages restore)
    - fix for the delimiter selection when restoring contacts from csv file (contacts mapping fields)
    - fix for "add only new messages" when restoring binary backup (messages restore)

more infos on www.dotfred.net

TODO:

MMS Backup/restore doesn't work!

- fix problem with mms "attachments" which are stored on disk but are not considered as attachments in the cemail.vol (wonderful!)
    Arcsoft MMS software uses own-defined properties (blobs) in pmailMsgs table in cemail.vol but I cannot decipher them for the moment.

- conversion of text backups <-> binary backups

Version 2.7:

In 2.6, the backup/restore thread priority has been diminished so it took less resources during the task, and so other programs could continue to work properly. The problem is that a backup/restore task could take much more time to end. This has been changed by adding this feature as parameter, and so it can be changed manually by the user.

Version 2.6:

- fix bug in binary restore of contacts (birthday overwritten by anniversary)
    - fix bug in binary/text restore of appointments (status, reminder not correct)
    - fix bug in zip utility => unicode compliant
    - fix bug in restore of tasks (wm2003se only) for (partially) undated tasks
    - fix bug in restore of messages (only messages from an unknown account are discarded)
    - fix bug in csv contacts import (csv coming from another application)
    - fix bug in restore of speed dials (wm6 only)
    - added restore custom files individual selection

Version 2.5:

- fix bug in binary backup of appointments containing recipients
    - fix bug in binary/text custom files backup
    - added rename old file option in custom file restore

Version 2.4:

- fix a crash bug during restore of a text backup for messages having no
    subject
    - fix a bug in scheduled backup
    - add one instance only

Version 2.3:

- fix for notes in wm2k3
    - add more error messages in case of backup/restore failure

Version 2.2:

- fix for messages backup problem that causes wm2k3 pda's to soft-reset
    - fix for custom files not found in list in csx backup file

Version 2.1:

- fixed bug introduced in hex fields in text backup in v2.0
    - add a custom backup functionality for specific files, folders or file types.
    - changed some cosmetic things in the layouts
    - fixed some minor bugs
    - fixed bug in binary task binary backup

Version 2.0:

- added escape character in text, so the parsing of csv text works in all cases.

CAUTION, a bad parsing can still appear for backups made in earlier versions.

- added binary backups for fastness and reliability. (A tool will be provided in the future to allow to convert text backups to binary backups and vice-versa).

- schedule problem fixed.

- added UNC folders names for default folders (inbox, outbox, sent items, drafts, deleted items) in messages, so the restore could be done on a device having another language.

- fixed the problem of messages stored in folders at the same level as Inbox

- creation of temporary backup files can be either in memory or in the backup destination folder.

Version 1.9:

- fix bug in all day recurring appointments restore
    - fix bug in non recurring tasks restore
    - restore for "add only new..." option should go faster
    - remove empty files from \Windows\Messaging

Version 1.8:

- fix problem of lost records (csv parser has been redesigned)

ADVICE: In WM6 if you have to restore call logs, do it separately especially if you have a lot of them, because cprog.exe (phone application) will take all the cpu to rebuild the links between contacts and calls, so this is not good for the rest of the restore.

Version 1.7:

- fix for crashing bug during restore of contacts or messages

Version 1.6:

- Yomi included for contacts (not tested, need confirmation on this)
    - fix for call logs in WM6 (allynm)
    - fix appointments load (leo ramik)
    - fix problem for messages load (same as appts)
    - fix csv parser bug (last one, I hope)
    - fix problem with speeddials restore (WM6 only) (it is slow, but it works) (work around provided by dan1967 (thanks!))
    - fix for appts restore (_vint)

Version 1.5:

- fix toolbar bug (wm2003se only)
    - fix sms backup bug (wm2003se only) (carolos)
    - fix schedule bug (ebliss)
    - fix birthday bug in contacts (gambit999)
    - fix csv parser bug (exel07)

Version 1.4:

- fix a bug found in backup/restore of messages in WM2003SE (choas)
    - fix a bug concerning exclusions of folders in backup of messages (faria)

Version 1.3:

- fix a bug found in restore of call logs backup under WM6 (backup made on WM6 only) (faria)

Version 1.2:

- fix a bug found when handling unicode files with chinese character set (Sipher)

Version 1.1:

- fix a bug in CSV parser (borjok536)
    - added option verbose in main menu (allynm) (the status list is less updated without verbose)
    - added SystemIdleTimerReset to avoid that the pda is suspended during the backup/restore process

Description:

This tool has been made in order to replace the PPCBckpContacts application.
    As its predecessor, PPCPimBackup allows to backup/restore the Personal information of the pocket pc user, but new functionalities have been added.

This tool allows to backup/restore:

- appointments
    - call logs
    - contacts
    - messages (SMS, Mails, ...) NEW !!! :D
    - speed dials
    - tasks

Restore contacts:

It is possible now to restore a text file containing contacts backed up from other applications, like in Outlook Express, the only constraint is that the first line should contain the fields and the fields need a separator. (See screenshots). The tool allows to map default fields to fields found in the file. It is possible now to insert duplicates.

Backup messages:

The mail database is completely parsed to retrieve all the messages stored in every directory and subdirectory. It is possible to select which account and directories should be backed up. You can save attachments as wel if they exist on the pocket pc.

Restore messages:

Same as the backup, you can select which account and directories should be restored to the device. Caution, if an account doesn't exist on the pocket pc, this application will discard the messages that belong to that account.

Restore appointments:

There was a bug in PPCBckpContacts where appointments with the same name on different dates weren't restored. This should be fixed in this tool.

Schedule backup:

It is possible to schedule a backup, each day of the week and this at a specific hour. If the pocket pc is suspended, it will wake up and do the backup. You can eventually control the number of backups to keep and switch off the pocket pc after the scheduled backup is finished.
    The schedule backup creates a notification that can be cleared via the Options Menu.

File types:

There is only one file type now, which is .pib (Personal Information Backup), in fact it is just a zip file (so you can open it with a zip application) which contain the different text files used in PPCBckpContacts, so you can still extract these files, edit them on a pc using Excel or Notepad and eventually restore them without putting them back in the .pib file.

This is the first release, it has been tested on WM4.2, WM5 and WM6.

Comments, bugs, suggestions are welcome.

Yours sincerly,

.Fred

Screenshots:

ppcpimbackup.gif

Use notice:

The exe contained in the zip file, should be copied and launched on the pocket pc, and not on a pc.
    If you have any comments, bugs report, suggestions, problems, then you could send them to this address dotfred@dotfred.net, I will carefully consider them.
    new update V2.8.5

Version 2.8.5:

- fix issue with list view using custom states
    - warning popup message in case encryption mechanism is active on sdcard
    - error popup message in case the backup failed
    - fix issue of exceptions in appointments
    new version available
    at PIM Backup Website
    new version available (3.5)
    at PIM Backup Website
    use 2.5 with Tytn II

I am unable to go any further after when I select the options. "NEXT" is not selectable!

Any help?