Help with bluetooth! hci_get_route returns ERNODEV

Search This thread

Rukus55

Aug 10, 2010
Android 2.2 on HTC Evo

With the recent release of Froyo and the updates to the bluetooth pairing on HTC Evo, does this fix the bluetooth issue in the new build? :confused:

It would be so awesome to rock the old games out on the wii remote.

mitsubstanz

Aug 12, 2010
I have 2.2 and tried to get it working with simplewiicontroler und wiicontrollerDemo but both didnt work. Same Problem as usual. Any Developers here who had a deeper look at the new 2.2 Bluetooth Drivers?

I also contacted HTC Support in Germany they told me

"SPP is now supported on Android 2.2 on the Desire"

Does that mean the App-Developers can fix the Problem now?

S4Rs

Jun 17, 2010
htcs bluez libs

I noticed htc's developer site has downloads for specific devices BlueZ libs. Has anyone tried building against those libs? Is this project open source?

Zaron3d

Apr 13, 2010
Anyone found a solution to this problem yet? I'm using MDJ Revo 1.5, and - of course - it's not working with the Wiimote app. Would love to get some SNES on =P

flando

Oct 21, 2010
Would love to have this working. Am using CyanogenMod 6.1 with Buzz oc/uv 1.5 kernal on my Desire HD, still get the error-1 no bluetooth found :confused:

Still the rom is in beta, a further release may fix it :cool:

N

patriotaus

Apr 30, 2008
I also have a Desire HD, and get the error, Damn HTC. Would really love to have the wiimote connected. My motoracer2 requires constant use of the r2 button which is really awkward.

veeeee

Sep 10, 2009
I have looked into this problem a bit and this is what I have found.

The common thing I found between the Samsung and HTC phones where hci_get_route fails is that they all use a Broadcom BCM4329 for bluetooth.
In the source code for the Samsung Galaxy Tab it appears the reason that hci_get_route fails is that Samsung has heavily modified the Bluez stack to use code from Broadcom. They modified hci_devid to always return 0 to just name 1 change.

I tried compiling bluetooth from the Samsung source with the BT_ALT_STACK compile flag removed but that didn't work. I may try and see if I can get hci_get_route to work but the Bluez code has about zero comments so its hard to figure out whats going on.

TheBeano

Jul 18, 2010
Samsung left out a lot of the Broadcom proprietary code from the source code distribution, so you can't really see what's going on, and you can't compile a debug version. Compare the phone version of libandroid_runtime.so with the version you get if you build from source to see how much is missing (more than 200k compiled).

Even if you bypass hci_get_route and use devid=0 (which Android assumes anyway), the hci_open_dev call fails. I think it's missing some init somewhere, especially adapter_start in adapter.c. Possibly the Bluez interface is completely inactive and all the live code uses Broadcom's dtun API.

I did try using reflection to get at the raw BluetoothSocket from Java as described here but they have fenced that off too, preventing you from opening an L2CAP socket:

ERROR/BLZ20_WRAPPER(20643): ##### ERROR : blz20_wrp_close: protocol BTPROTO_L2CAP not yet supported#####

where BLZ20_WRAPPER is part of Broadcom's proprietary stack.

Last edited:

mikereidis

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 28, 2011
Ottawa/Gatineau, Canada
Oh, goodie... a thread on the problem that's been plaguing me for months.

I wrote an FM Radio app that speaks to the TI and Broadcom combo chip FM portions via HCI. Works well on Bluez based ROMs like CyanogenMod, but no go on MANY stock ROMs with the TI or BC proprietary BT stacks.

I searched for a LONG time, combed through code and tried everything on this thread and then some. On at least one phone and ROM combo I was able to execute the HCI Get Version command (4 1), but not proprietary commands (0x3f).

I've now resorted to taking over the HCI UART and sending commands that way. It works nice but requires root and prevents normal BT.

Despite these bad stacks, there MUST be some way to do this with root at least. I'd have to presume the kernel code can send any HCI commands.

I've even thought of a serial port shim, but BT is not strictly userspace; it's in the kernel too, to support such stuff as BT sockets. I haven't looked too closely at the kernel yet, but there is surely good stuff there, possibly wrapped up in the Android security model.

I ran an hcidump tonight and it "hit me". Perhaps TI and Broadcom don't want us to have easy HCI access so that tools like hcidump can't be used to reverse engineer their precious trade secrets. They certainly don't publish their FM APIs nor I think their BT APIs.

Last edited: