Blacklisted S4

Search This thread

quarlow

Feb 6, 2008
Tooele, UT
Fair enough. It wouldn't be the first time an AT&T employee tried to explain something to me that they didn't understand themselves. I though you were just speculating.

I wasn't trying to suggest anyone try that to get out of their bill, just providing an alternative reason for falsely reporting a stolen phone. Everyone went straight to insurance fraud.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337

Reactions: Yze

kurdish11

Aug 19, 2012
AT&T sucks.. so does T-Mobile they are by far the worst customer service group... most of the time its someone who just repeats back every single thing you say after you said it and asks "correct?". >;V makes me want to tear my head off

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using xda app-developers app

kurdish11

Aug 19, 2012
Thank you! I have no idea what he is being charged with though. The police didn't tell me?

tigerphil

Jun 25, 2011
Southampton
I've had the same problem, also know how to change imei but knew it was illegal but I asked at a local police station and phone shop if there was a loop hole. They both asked for the proof of purchase, the police told me aslong as I own the phone with the imei I plan to use and that both phones are not in use at the same time then it was ok to do it, I'm guessing thats so if the phone is ever tracked by police they dont get 2 seperate signals/locations. The phone shop told me its not advised due to the risk of damaging the phone but if I was to do it then all warranty is void. I'm stil sat with a blacklisted s4 as the imei I could use is now my sons phone which is in daily use

Sent from my GT-I9505 using xda premium

zelendel

Aug 11, 2008
OnePlus 6T
OnePlus 9
I've had the same problem, also know how to change imei but knew it was illegal but I asked at a local police station and phone shop if there was a loop hole. They both asked for the proof of purchase, the police told me aslong as I own the phone with the imei I plan to use and that both phones are not in use at the same time then it was ok to do it, I'm guessing thats so if the phone is ever tracked by police they dont get 2 seperate signals/locations. The phone shop told me its not advised due to the risk of damaging the phone but if I was to do it then all warranty is void. I'm stil sat with a blacklisted s4 as the imei I could use is now my sons phone which is in daily use

They are VERY wrong. They only people that have the right to do it is the OEM and that was set by the FCC. Local cops know nothing of communication law as they don't enforce it.

Wayne Tech Nexus

tigerphil

Jun 25, 2011
Southampton
They are VERY wrong. They only people that have the right to do it is the OEM and that was set by the FCC. Local cops know nothing of communication law as they don't enforce it.

Wayne Tech Nexus

I'm glad I haven't messed with mine yet then. I've spent the past 2 weeks trying to find ways of removing the blacklist without interfering with my sons phone. The big let down was the person that sold me the phone showed me it working via video call, shipped it after a paid £100 deposit so I can confirm it working before I paid the remainding £280. The phone worked great for about 2-3weeks then lost all connection etc, thats when I realised the phone had obviously been reported and locked down, tried contacting the seller since and no replies and the number is never switched on

tigerphil

Jun 25, 2011
Southampton
Just use eBay for phone selling / buying you pay a little more but you don't have to deal with this bs, cl is too shady

Sent from my SGH-I337 using xda app-developers app

Even ebay can be just as bad, thats where mine came from. I've sent the seller numerous msgs, tried calling and no replies at all. Started a dispute via paypal and the seller has responded to them saying that I must have done something to the phone after recieving it but if rooting can blacklist a phone then thats a new 1 on me as that is the only thing I did soon as recieving it and even then it was stil working for a while before it got blacklisted

movielover76

Jan 3, 2011
Cherry Hill, NJ
OnePlus 7T
That's really bad luck, I've been using eBay for years for phones and never once ran into that, did the sellers have a decent feedback rating?
Even ebay can be just as bad, thats where mine came from. I've sent the seller numerous msgs, tried calling and no replies at all. Started a dispute via paypal and the seller has responded to them saying that I must have done something to the phone after recieving it but if rooting can blacklist a phone then thats a new 1 on me as that is the only thing I did soon as recieving it and even then it was stil working for a while before it got blacklisted

tigerphil

Jun 25, 2011
Southampton
That's really bad luck, I've been using eBay for years for phones and never once ran into that, did the sellers have a decent feedback rating?

I've sold the odd phone on there but always in full working order but just my luck that I end up getting a dodgy deal. The seller did have a good over 100 feedback and the phone was £350, told myself not to spend less than that knowing how much the phones worth but hoping to get it resolved otherwise I'll have to relist it as bad imei and hope it goes abroad although I have had someone ask if they can buy it for spares for £250 so its nearly enough to get the nexus 4 to play about with and still left with a working s4 aswell

zelendel

Aug 11, 2008
OnePlus 6T
OnePlus 9
Hi I jist want to help those people that got a Blacklisted phone off craiglist or that someone sold it to them then report it Lost/Stolen I HAVE YOUR SOLUTION!!! I can fix the Blacklisted phone so you can use it back with his original carrier with no problems, here's my eBay listing and all the instructions

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=181345868588

Any questions that you may have PM me or send me a eBay message.

Thank you and I hope I could help in something

The only way this can be done would be to change the imei which is illegal.

Bat cave One

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Update!

Okay so I went in at 10am to the police department and met up with the detective working on my case for the first time.. it was a brief meeting, only about 5 minutes. He showed me a line up, I located the guy in the blink of an eye, circled him and that was it. We joked for a few and he said he would need me to come again on Monday to sign the warrant he issued for his arrest..

dont drop the charges. he wasted your time, time and stress youll never get back. No matter what, dont drop anything, people like that should be taught a lesson to make sure they think twice before attempting fraud
    I didn't misunderstand. I know the OP purchased the phone legally, But your statement " but many of us have old/broken phones with valid #s. It would be nice to be able to transfer an IMEI from an old phone to a new one in order to get it working while staying legal"

implies that there is a source of "good" phones to replace "old broken" phones. Unless all these good phones are the result of the same insurance scam by owners (unlikely), they must be stolen.

And even if everyone with broken phones, bought phones from legitimate owners that are pulling insurance scams, the phone then actually belongs to the insurance company if the insurance company paid the original owner.

It sucks but the buyer is screwed - there is no way around that, and trying to find a way to legitimize this is wrong.

I seem to recall a mod telling us to shut up about IMEI switching, you're feeding him lets end this now and get back on subject please. The subject is kurdish's issue with the blacklisted IMEI as part of an insurance scam and I for one am very interested in hearing how this turns out first off because who doesn't love gossip? Secondly it would be nice to know how to handle this the most effectively and what the possible outcomes are should I ever end up in this situation. So unless you have personal experience with the situation hes in why don't y'all two take it to PM.
    ok so you want to tear your head off, correct?
    I
    Okay so I bought an S4 off craigslist and the next day he reports it stolen and blacklists it, I contact his friend trying to work it out (note: everything we said to each other was over texts, so I have them still as proof - and I got his friends number the day I met him.. he deactivated his service).. he said he doesn't know why his friend blacklisted it but he would call AT&T to unblock it, shortly after he said he did it.. I waited patiently but to realize that it was still blocked so I text him again, he doesnt respond for a full day so I told him I will call the Police. He must have gotten scared because he finally responds and unblocks it.... I used it for a couple hours, then my service cuts off and he sends me this long message telling me that he blocked it again and is calling the cops because I threatened him?. I never said anything threatening to him but whatever....

So I call the police, report everything and tell them the story. A couple hours later a detective calls me and asks if I would like to prosecute, I agreed... so now Im waiting to see what happened...

What do you guys think? I should easily win right, I have all the proof. All the texts.. from before I purchased and from after.. and I have his original craigslist post....

I told this guy 100 times to either unblock it or just give my money back and id cancel the prosecution but he didnt respond, so whatever. ..

Anybody been through something similiar?. Think I should win? He clearly commited insurance fraud... and must have created a police report to report his "stolen" phone..

You will win. You can take him to small claims court and have him pay the fees too.

See if you can get a cache of his ad just in case for evidence. Most likely he'll cave in and refund you.

Show him all of your evidence and say "we can take this to court and I'm sure I will win."

On a side note, what an awesome detective working your case. I'm sure he's very busy too. These guys have back logs of cases not resolved and have to work tons of overtime.

Sent from my HTC One using xda app-developers app