[AOSP-KERNEL] QCOM 3.4 Kernel Development [05/29: Faded TWRP Screen, crashing]

Search This thread

qesefunda

Oct 6, 2012
Córdoba
Maybe there is something useful for You https://github.com/arco. There is a fully working kernel 3.4 for qualcomm chips. if this does not help ,forget.
Sry for my bad eng =)

That kernel is for msm7x27 qualcomm chips and this chip uses ARMv6 instructions. Razr HD chip uses Krait architecture (Qualcomm Cortex A-15 Series) and it's based on ARMv7.

Sorry for my bad english, I didn't learned english ever :(

Last edited:

SFG

Dec 23, 2010
He updated on droidrazr and said he's briefly getting to TWRP. USB is still non functioning.

Hashcode

Senior Recognized Developer
Sep 3, 2011
Woops, forgot to update here:

New bootlog: http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=JV9kxrKs

And #2 post has a summary notable lines from the bootlog (stuff I'm working on).

Boots up into TWRP for a few seconds and I can play w/ the touch screen, but then it crashes out.

Mainly I'm trying to bring up USB which is made complicated by the EMU-Detection driver Motorola has in their kernel. Handles things like dock modes, otg, debug accessories, etc.

koftheworld

Jun 9, 2010
Central NJ

And #2 post has a summary notable lines from the bootlog (stuff I'm working on).

Boots up into TWRP for a few seconds and I can play w/ the touch screen, but then it crashes out.

Mainly I'm trying to bring up USB which is made complicated by the EMU-Detection driver Motorola has in their kernel. Handles things like dock modes, otg, debug accessories, etc.

Have you tried emailing moto tech support?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 4 Beta

skeevydude

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Feb 10, 2012
Hot Springs

I've noticed that between you and dhacker a lot of commits have been pushed lately and the new 3.4.y branch is up. I'm just curious if the kernel is far enough along that it would be worth it to ya'll for some of us power users to compile it and give you some kmsg's or logcats or whatever. I can't really help with development since I can't program (really need to learn that) but I can help with testing and logs and such.

Off Topic but relevant to users who want to learn and help
I've seen this post on RootzWiki about free online programming courses. There's a lot there and I was just hoping one of our devs would throw me a bone and pick one or a few that would be a good place to start. My biggest problem is the vast amount of information available and not knowing where to start. I know that I can't be the only one with this problem.

I've always respected all our team members work and have been following some of you for at least 2 years now (Hashcode, Nadlabak, Quarx), so any suggestion from ya'll would be taken to heart, respected, and followed through to the best of my ability. I just thinks its wise to ask a Motorola dev where to start learning to help with Motorola devices. Thank you.

SquireSCA

Nov 30, 2011
Atlanta, GA
So am I understanding this to all mean that when this kernel is done, ROM's like CM10.1 and AOKP will start working properly with regards to video recording, etc? So all we will have to do is flash the new kernel and the ROMs will start working correctly?

rebretz000

Jul 11, 2012
Magrathea
So am I understanding this to all mean that when this kernel is done, ROM's like CM10.1 and AOKP will start working properly with regards to video recording, etc? So all we will have to do is flash the new kernel and the ROMs will start working correctly?

From a comment I saw Bytecode make on another forum, no the kernel is not done yet. He said there's still some stuff to work out.

Tweaken

Sep 10, 2011

Yes, this is the goal, and the only reason I have not unlocked my bootloader and flashed a 4.2 ROM yet.

SquireSCA

Nov 30, 2011
Atlanta, GA
From a comment I saw Bytecode make on another forum, no the kernel is not done yet. He said there's still some stuff to work out.

I get that, I just meant that when it is done, we just drop it in and stuff starts working? Don't need a new ROM or anything, the kernel will allow the video recording and the few other miner issues start working?

koftheworld

Jun 9, 2010
Central NJ
I get that, I just meant that when it is done, we just drop it in and stuff starts working? Don't need a new ROM or anything, the kernel will allow the video recording and the few other miner issues start working?

That's the hope.the big boys are getting things to work with the new kernel through this phase on an item by item approach.for instance dh recently said he was going to get audio working and then look at the camera.

sent from my xt926 RAZR maxx hd

rebretz000

Jul 11, 2012
Magrathea

OH.... I never even thought about that. I hope thats the case also. I was thinking that once they get the kernel finalized they would release a complete ROM, like CyanogenMod or something with it. An offical version instead of the unofficial Nightlies.

---------- Post added at 12:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:00 PM ----------

That's the hope.the big boys are getting things to work with the new kernel through this phase on an item by item approach.for instance dh recently said he was going to get audio working and then look at the camera.

sent from my xt926 RAZR maxx hd

I can't remember the name of the Developer, but its the dude on Team Horizon that brought XenonHD to the Vanquish. He got Bluetooth working, and Bytecode then transfered it into his kernel he released last night.

koftheworld

Jun 9, 2010
Central NJ
OH.... I never even thought about that. I hope thats the case also. I was thinking that once they get the kernel finalized they would release a complete ROM, like CyanogenMod or something with it. An offical version instead of the unofficial Nightlies.

---------- Post added at 12:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:00 PM ----------

I can't remember the name of the Developer, but its the dude on Team Horizon that brought XenonHD to the Vanquish. He got Bluetooth working, and Bytecode then transfered it into his kernel he released last night.

once the kernel is done all the roms will be rebuilt (from those devs that are paying attention) to include it. everything will be rosy from there. they'll submit an application to cm to make the devices (hd, m, atrix hd) official.

that's true. people are still working on fixing items on the current kernel state. things break and are refixed depending on the nightly.

qesefunda

Oct 6, 2012
Córdoba
Thread in droidrzr.com

Hi Guys,

I thought I would get a thread going on this as I'm moving along (rather slowly -- I'll admit) on developing a new kernel for the Motorola QCOM phones. Obviously I will be testing it against the RAZR-HD, but if done correctly it should support RAZR-M, Atrix-HD and Photon Q.

Why a new kernel?
For full Android 4.2.x support we need to migrate to a fully redeveloped video system which include vsync, fencing and other major changes from the 3.0 kernel. We have tried to backport some of these changes with some success but in the meantime it's causing other side effects. Along with the video driver updates are camera subsystem and many many other updates.
For the future of the device we want to stay as close to Nexus type devices so that we can compile AOSP out of the box so to speak. N4 (Mako) uses a 3.4 kernel based on the same exact branch that I'm using from Code Aurora Forums (CAF).
What sources am I using?

I've started on the CAF base branch "jb_2.5" used to bring up the Nexus 4 device:
https://www.codeauro...fs/heads/jb_2.5

And the new kernel source is on github under a "razrqcom-dev-team" where Pinter and DHacker and others can all join in:
https://github.com/r...its/cm-10.1-dev

[NOTE] I have NOT posted my local changes to that kernel yet. It's the CAF sources + 2-3 commits I cherry-picked in, currently.

Current Status:
[DONE] Add all new drivers from the Motorola JB kernel posted on Sourceforge.net
[DONE] Patch existing code with Motorola specific changes (in a minimal sort of way -- only what is absolutely required here)
[DONE] Fix compile errors
[04/22 DONE] Push initial moto changes to github (over 2 pages of changes grouped by driver/section)
[05/15 DONE] Boot testing using a recovery. Have to get far enough to where I'm seeing a ram-console "last_kmsg".
[05/20 DONE] 1-by-1 debug each driver using last_kmsg to where we get a fully functioning recovery build. This includes using binaries like evtest to debug touchscreen events, and other sensors.
[06/01 DONE] Change over to a full Android build using CM sources which are fully patched up against CAF's latest sources: includes new hardware drivers for video, camera, audio and others.
[IN-PROGRESS] Debug the Android boot using strace and other binaries till it's solid enough to start using specific apps to play test and debug issues.
Once I get to a point where I can post a full dmesg, I'll add that to this post (for those that are curious).

Thanks for being patient.

Updated 2013-06-11:

Kernel Boot Log: http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=3YGRvuRg
Logcat: http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=bu13h6ki

Summary: Still debugging the Android boot. But it's getting closer.

UPDATE: Attachment

FIXES TO COME:
All firmware are causing the boot to hang
Sound driver isn't working
Battery / USB driver needs cleanup
Testing
Attached Thumbnails

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-06-12-16-08-23.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-06-12-16-08-23.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 621

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi Guys,

I thought I would get a thread going on this as I'm moving along (rather slowly -- I'll admit) on developing a new kernel for the Motorola QCOM phones. Obviously I will be testing it against the RAZR-HD, but if done correctly it should support RAZR-M, Atrix-HD and Photon Q.

Why a new kernel?
    1. For full Android 4.2.x support we need to migrate to a fully redeveloped video system which include vsync, fencing and other major changes from the 3.0 kernel. We have tried to backport some of these changes with some success but in the meantime it's causing other side effects. Along with the video driver updates are camera subsystem and many many other updates.[/*]
    2. For the future of the device we want to stay as close to Nexus type devices so that we can compile AOSP out of the box so to speak. N4 (Mako) uses a 3.4 kernel based on the same exact branch that I'm using from Code Aurora Forums (CAF).[/*]

What sources am I using?

I've started on the CAF base branch "jb_2.5" used to bring up the Nexus 4 device:
    https://www.codeaurora.org/gitweb/quic/la/?p=kernel/msm.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/jb_2.5

And the new kernel source is on github under a "razrqcom-dev-team" where Pinter and DHacker and others can all join in:
    https://github.com/razrqcom-dev-team/android_kernel_motorola_msm8960-common/commits/cm-10.1-dev

[NOTE] I have NOT posted my local changes to that kernel yet. It's the CAF sources + 2-3 commits I cherry-picked in, currently.

Current Status:
    1. [DONE] Add all new drivers from the Motorola JB kernel posted on Sourceforge.net[/*]
    2. [DONE] Patch existing code with Motorola specific changes (in a minimal sort of way -- only what is absolutely required here)[/*]
    3. [DONE] Fix compile errors[/*]
    4. [4/22 DONE] Push initial moto changes to github (over 2 pages of changes grouped by driver/section)[/*]
    5. [IN-PROGRESS] Boot testing using a recovery. Have to get far enough to where I'm seeing a ram-console "last_kmsg".[/*]
    6. 1-by-1 debug each driver using last_kmsg to where we get a fully functioning recovery build. This includes using binaries like evtest to debug touchscreen events, and other sensors.[/*]
    7. Change over to a full Android build using CM sources which are fully patched up against CAF's latest sources: includes new hardware drivers for video, camera, audio and others.[/*]
    8. Debug the Android boot using strace and other binaries till it's solid enough to start using specific apps to play test and debug issues.[/*]
    Once I get to a point where I can post a full dmesg, I'll add that to this post (for those that are curious).

Thanks for being patient.

Got my initial Motorola changes for 3.4 updated to github:

https://github.com/razrqcom-dev-team/android_kernel_motorola_msm8960-common/commits/cm-10.1-dev

Took a while, now back to debugging the initial boot sequence.
    Amazing job Hashcode. Count me in.
    Current Bootlog:

http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=JV9kxrKs

Lines of note in the log:

SMD driver noting lack of allocation table

<3>[ 0.601617,1] smd_channel_probe_worker: allocation table not initialized

Backlight needs work

<7>[ 0.813825,0] lcd-backlight: invalid backlight type

Not sure what this is

<3>[ 0.815412,0] cont_splash_clk_ctrl: dsi_esc_clk - clk_set_rate failed

Checking this

<3>[ 1.055608,0] wcd9xxx_slim_probe: failed to get slimbus tabla-slim logical address: -6

This SPI error happens on other 3.4 kernels I've seen. I think there's a patch for it

<6>[ 1.126659,1] spi_qsd spi_qsd.0: master is unqueued, this is deprecated

USB probe fail

<3>[ 1.165847,1] msm_hsusb msm_hsusb: udc_probe failed

and then the Android gadget fail after that

<3>[ 1.166641,1] android_probe: android_probe(): Failed to register android composite driver

Ext. SD card error

<3>[ 1.219594,0] mmc1: msmsdcc_slot_status: Failed to configure GPIO 171

Seeing some i2c errors for the gsbi4 device:

<4>[ 1.475263,0] qup_i2c qup_i2c.4: Bus still busy, status 132100

Sensor fail

<3>[ 2.614924,0] lm3556_init_registers: Reading 0x0 failed -110

Missing GPIO setup for headset detect

<3>[ 2.632260,1] msm8960_configure_headset_mic_gpios: US_EURO_, AV_SWITCH gpios not configured!!!

Bunch of failed audio init messages (I can't remember if I merged in audio changes)

<6>[ 2.632351,1] msm_audio_init: Not APQ8064 in SLIMBUS mode
    <3>[ 2.632382,1] msm8930_audio_init: Not the right machine type
    <3>[ 2.632382,1] msm_audio_init: Not the right machine type
    <6>[ 2.632412,1] msm_audio_init: Not APQ8064 in I2S mode

BMS battery issues (probably linked to: <7>[ 28.167862,1] Trying to free already-free IRQ 567 through 562 messages)

<3>[ 28.167648,1] pm8xxx_batt_alarm_threshold_set: threshold value, 0 mV, is outside of allowable range: [2500, 5675] mV
    <3>[ 28.167709,1] pm8921_bms_configure_batt_alarm: unable to set batt alarm threshold rc=-22
    <3>[ 28.167739,1] pm8921_bms_probe: Couldn't configure battery alarm! rc=-22

<4>[ 28.174118,1] pm8921-bms: probe of pm8921-bms failed with error -22

<3>[ 28.177048,0] power_supply usb: driver failed to report `present' property: 4294967274