cm-11.0 (Android 4.4) ROMs for Nexus Q: Amplifier, HDMI, and SPDIF

Search This thread

hharte

Nov 3, 2009
www.magicandroidapps.com
Hello,

Happy New Year!

Here are builds of Android 4.4 KitKat based on CM11 from repo sync on 1/3/2014 for Nexus Q. Please choose the correct one for your application depending on which audio output you need.

See the end of this post for details on issues and potential workarounds.

Please go easy on the downloads or mirror these files if desired. They are on my private server so bandwidth is limited.

TAS5713 (Audio Amplifier):
Download: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=95784891001602454 (169MB)
MD5SUM: bca5d112bac1913e00635f658e149f5e *cm-11-20140103-UNOFFICIAL-steelhead_TAS5713.zip

SPDIF:
Download: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=95784891001602452 (169MB)
MD5SUM: d11d8c67a89a411910b97e8979b51c4a *cm-11-20140103-UNOFFICIAL-steelhead_SPDIF.zip

HDMI:
Download: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=95784891001602453 (169MB)
MD5SUM: 6a6d16839bb7451aa75dcfdecb6e7b5d *cm-11-20140103-UNOFFICIAL-steelhead_HDMI.zip

Recovery: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=95784891001602454
MD5SUM: a37468b9dd990ce47ef406bd13c67c9b *cm-11.0-recovery.img

To install:
Boot into recovery mode:
Code:
fastboot boot cm-11.0-recovery.img

When Q has reached recovery mode:
1. choose "install zip"
2. choose "install zip from sideload"

From PC:
Code:
adb sideload cm-11-20140103-UNOFFICIAL-steelhead_TAS5713.zip

It is a good idea to wipe data and cache. If coming from my previous cm-11 image, it may be possible to avoid wiping data/cache.

Sideload gapps if desired:

pa_gapps-modular-full-4.4.2-20131230-signed.zip http://goo.im/devs/paranoidandroid/roms/gapps-full//pa_gapps-modular-full-4.4.2-20131230-signed.zip (208MB)
MD5SUM: 137dba382742312921ef7fa84585c62b

From within recovery, "install zip from sideload" and:
Code:
adb sideload pa_gapps-modular-full-4.4.2-20131230-signed.zip

If cm11 gets stuck in a boot loop, then you probably need to wipe. Reboot the Q back into fastboot as follows:

1. Unplug power for Nexus Q and wait about 10 seconds.
  2. Plug Q back in. Do not put your hand on top of the Q until the small LED on top lights up.
  3. When the LED lights up on the top of the Q, cover it with your hand until the LED ring turns red. This has to be done in less than one second. If you miss it, try again.
  4. As soon as the ring is RED, remove your hand, and the Q should be in fastboot mode.

If you keep your hand on the Q while plugging it in, or if you put your hand on it too quickly, it will not enter the bootloader.

Now, you can "fastboot -w" to wipe, or "fastboot boot recovery.img" to boot into recovery and wipe using the menu.

Please let me know how these work for you. I'm using these TAS5713 and CM 11 seems to be work, but there are some functional and stability issues.

FUNCTIONAL AND STABILITY ISSUES:

1. Chrome Browser in Google Play Store says it's not compatible with this device for some reason. Pulling the .apk off a phone and "adb install" to Nexus Q seems to work fine. Make sure you are using the latest Google Chrome update with KitKat support. The previous version will crash on KitKat.
If you find any other issues, please let me know.

Last edited:

maomao891007

Nov 17, 2008
Sorry but want to ask Google didn't release the code for auto switch audio output or something with license or others?

Another it is not recommend flash recovery into Q? As in your post use 'fastboot boot' not 'fastboot flash'.

Finally thanks for your work.

Last edited:

Malnilion

Dec 21, 2011
@maomao,
You don't want to flash recovery from fastboot. Just boot to recovery, flash CM, boot to system, then use flashify or rom manager or whatever to flash a recovery.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Aphex33

Nov 15, 2010
Winnipeg
Hello, I tried installing via clockwork 6.0.3.7 but no luck. What version recovery is posted above? .....thank you for this!

Sent from my CM powered Nexus Q

maomao891007

Nov 17, 2008
@maomao,
You don't want to flash recovery from fastboot. Just boot to recovery, flash CM, boot to system, then use flashify or rom manager or whatever to flash a recovery.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

thx, but what's the difference between flash and boot the file from computer?
I used to flash the recovery use fastboot first and then flash the ROM on nexus, as the ROM manager also write the recovery partition, or I have something wrong?

THE_KINGDOM

Sep 20, 2011
OnePlus 11
which recovery is included in this post??

why is SPDIF and HDMI separate? aren't they usually together?

How is WLAN/WIFI speeds on this build? I know I had WIFI speed issues on other CM builds

Sent from my Nexus Q using Tapatalk 2

edit** : I have found out the hard way that this recovery needs to be first flashed before installing CM11

also WLAN/WIFI appears to be perfect and fast!

This has brought my Nexus Q back to life!!
Only thing needed now: Is a way to combine HDMI/SPDIF/AMP together, with a selectable output(s)

Last edited:

hharte

Nov 3, 2009
www.magicandroidapps.com
Let me clear up the recovery flashing vs booting. You can either flash or boot the recovery, it is up to you. If you flash it, it will persist across reboots/power cycles. If you just boot it, then it will load and run, but when you reboot, your device will still have whatever old recovery you had on it before. I got in the habit of booting rather than flashing the recovery, since I always start from fastboot. But feel free to flash the recovery if you want.

It is the stock Cyanogenmod recovery (clockwork, I think.)

Reactions: ottoemezzo

THE_KINGDOM

Sep 20, 2011
OnePlus 11
Let me clear up the recovery flashing vs booting. You can either flash or boot the recovery, it is up to you. If you flash it, it will persist across reboots/power cycles. If you just boot it, then it will load and run, but when you reboot, your device will still have whatever old recovery you had on it before. I got in the habit of booting rather than flashing the recovery, since I always start from fastboot. But feel free to flash the recovery if you want.

Why is SPDIF & HDMI not combined this time?

unknownkwita

Sep 22, 2009
Thanks for the rom, i just flashed from cm10.2. no problems, everything seems to work fine.

Pity Cheapcast still gets stuck at the end of each song :(

El Daddy

Retired Forum Moderator
May 2, 2008
Roseville, MN
Does anyone have a mirror of the HDMI version? I've tried downloading twice and it fails after about a half hour.

When/if I do get it to download correctly I will mirror as well.

ddggttff3

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 13, 2009
Minnesota
Does anyone have a mirror of the HDMI version? I've tried downloading twice and it fails after about a half hour.

Here you go, but please mirror if you can because I need to take it down within 48 hours.

EDIT: Link removed

Last edited:
Reactions: El Daddy

ddggttff3

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 13, 2009
Minnesota
OP, noticed there's a bit of graphical tearing now and then when orientation changes or GPU heavy applications are ran. Also, there's a lot of logcat spam for a missing audio device when media is played. I am using the HDMI audio ROM.

Code:
E/audio_hw_steelhead( 4017): cannot open pcm_out driver: cannot open device '/dev/snd/pcmC0D0p': I/O error

Last edited:

mannberg

Nov 20, 2011
  1. Noticed some graphical tearing when orientation changes.
  2. I cant change desktop background, anybody else with this problem?

otherwise it seems to work just fine. I have only used my Q with Spotify for 1 day so I may have missed some issues.

ottoemezzo

Nov 15, 2012
  1. Noticed some graphical tearing when orientation changes.
  2. I cant change desktop background, anybody else with this problem?

otherwise it seems to work just fine. I have only used my Q with Spotify for 1 day so I may have missed some issues.

Somehow I did manage to change the background, but you're right, it didn't work as it should. I think after changing it (seemingly with no result) I quickly rebooted the device, and then the chosen wallpaper was already set.
I noticed some graphical glitches too: when clicking on recents button, the preview windows seem distorted.
Anyway I'm very happy with the overall performance and stability.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

ateam201

Oct 3, 2006
new york
Essential Phone
stock nexus q

hello i just got a nexus q from ebay and i wanted to flash it with kit kit. i am kind of lost on how to install the recovery image and install kit kit.

I know i need to use adb and sideload it in but how do i install the recovery initially?''

i got this far

c:\adb>adb sideload cm-11hdmi.zip

it won't let me sideload the image in

C:\adb>adb usb
restarting in USB mode

C:\adb>adb push update.zip /sdcard/
3387 KB/s (177504805 bytes in 51.176s)

C:\adb>

i can push it in but when i go to sdcard the nexus q restarts itself

Last edited:

mannberg

Nov 20, 2011
hello i just got a nexus q from ebay and i wanted to flash it with kit kit. i am kind of lost on how to install the recovery image and install kit kit.

I know i need to use adb and sideload it in but how do i install the recovery initially?''

A quick guide.

Boot the Q to fastboot mode. Plug in the power cord, as soon as the center led on top of the Q lights up place your hand on the Q. When the led ring turns red remove it. You are now in fastboot. You need to unlock the bootloader, you can do this by using these commands from the command promt (cmd.exe in windows) I assume you have a usb connection between PC and your Nexus Q.

Code:
fastboot devices

it should show one device, if not switch usb port and try again. Or reinstall the drivers (Im using linux so I dont know if you need drivers on windows but I assume that)

Code:
fastboot oem_unlock

then directly after executing that command

Code:
fastboot oem_unlock_accept

Now you bootloader should be unlocked and you can boot to recovery. If you are not fast enough between these command, execute oem_unlock again and be faster this time. You boot to recovery with this command

Code:
fastboot boot cm11.0-recovery.img

Your Q reboots to recovery. Now select install zip -> install zip from sideload and execute

Code:
adb sideload cm-11-20140103-UNOFFICIAL-steelhead_HDMI.zip

wait for the installation to complete, sideload gapps if you need Play Store and apps like that from Google

Code:

After the installation is completed, reboot your Q to fastboot again (Pull the power cord, place your hand over the Q and so on.... You need to do this to wipe data and cache. When the Q is in fastboot mode, execute

Code:
fastboot -w

Now you are done, reboot your Q and start setting it up. I hope I didn't miss anything but this should theoretically work :)

kario

Nov 14, 2011
Trouble using adb / fastboot in windows 8

Problem solved.... appears to have problems with drivers....reinstalled and changed the usb port - installation went off without a glitch.

Thank you!
:good:
---------------
Is there a way for me to flash the cm11.0-recovery.img without using a pc? Having trouble using the PC to go through the process - fastboot does not recognize the - but adb does.

I am currently running cm10.1.....

Thank you.

A quick guide.

Boot the Q to fastboot mode. Plug in the power cord, as soon as the center led on top of the Q lights up place your hand on the Q. When the led ring turns red remove it. You are now in fastboot. You need to unlock the bootloader, you can do this by using these commands from the command promt (cmd.exe in windows) I assume you have a usb connection between PC and your Nexus Q.

Code:
fastboot devices

it should show one device, if not switch usb port and try again. Or reinstall the drivers (Im using linux so I dont know if you need drivers on windows but I assume that)

Code:
fastboot oem_unlock

Code:

Now you bootloader should be unlocked and you can boot to recovery. If you are not fast enough between these command, execute oem_unlock again and be faster this time. You boot to recovery with this command

Code:

Your Q reboots to recovery. Now select install zip -> install zip from sideload and execute

Code:

wait for the installation to complete, sideload gapps if you need Play Store and apps like that from Google

Code:

After the installation is completed, reboot your Q to fastboot again (Pull the power cord, place your hand over the Q and so on.... You need to do this to wipe data and cache. When the Q is in fastboot mode, execute

Code:
fastboot -w

Now you are done, reboot your Q and start setting it up. I hope I didn't miss anything but this should theoretically work :)

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello,

Happy New Year!

Here are builds of Android 4.4 KitKat based on CM11 from repo sync on 1/3/2014 for Nexus Q. Please choose the correct one for your application depending on which audio output you need.

Please go easy on the downloads or mirror these files if desired. They are on my private server so bandwidth is limited.

TAS5713 (Audio Amplifier):
    Download: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=95784891001602454 (169MB)
    MD5SUM: bca5d112bac1913e00635f658e149f5e *cm-11-20140103-UNOFFICIAL-steelhead_TAS5713.zip

SPDIF:
    Download: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=95784891001602452 (169MB)
    MD5SUM: d11d8c67a89a411910b97e8979b51c4a *cm-11-20140103-UNOFFICIAL-steelhead_SPDIF.zip

HDMI:
    Download: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=95784891001602453 (169MB)
    MD5SUM: 6a6d16839bb7451aa75dcfdecb6e7b5d *cm-11-20140103-UNOFFICIAL-steelhead_HDMI.zip

Recovery: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=95784891001602454
    MD5SUM: a37468b9dd990ce47ef406bd13c67c9b *cm-11.0-recovery.img

To install:
    Boot into recovery mode:
    Code:
    fastboot boot cm-11.0-recovery.img

When Q has reached recovery mode:
    1. choose "install zip"
    2. choose "install zip from sideload"

From PC:
    Code:
    adb sideload cm-11-20140103-UNOFFICIAL-steelhead_TAS5713.zip

It is a good idea to wipe data and cache. If coming from my previous cm-11 image, it may be possible to avoid wiping data/cache.

pa_gapps-modular-full-4.4.2-20131230-signed.zip http://goo.im/devs/paranoidandroid/roms/gapps-full//pa_gapps-modular-full-4.4.2-20131230-signed.zip (208MB)
    MD5SUM: 137dba382742312921ef7fa84585c62b

From within recovery, "install zip from sideload" and:
    Code:

If cm11 gets stuck in a boot loop, then you probably need to wipe. Reboot the Q back into fastboot as follows:

2. Plug Q back in. Do not put your hand on top of the Q until the small LED on top lights up.
    3. When the LED lights up on the top of the Q, cover it with your hand until the LED ring turns red. This has to be done in less than one second. If you miss it, try again.
    4. As soon as the ring is RED, remove your hand, and the Q should be in fastboot mode.

If you keep your hand on the Q while plugging it in, or if you put your hand on it too quickly, it will not enter the bootloader.

Now, you can "fastboot -w" to wipe, or "fastboot boot recovery.img" to boot into recovery and wipe using the menu.

Please let me know how these work for you. I'm using these TAS5713 and CM 11 seems to be work, but there are some functional and stability issues.

1. Chrome Browser in Google Play Store says it's not compatible with this device for some reason. Pulling the .apk off a phone and "adb install" to Nexus Q seems to work fine. Make sure you are using the latest Google Chrome update with KitKat support. The previous version will crash on KitKat.

A quick guide.

Code:
    fastboot devices

Code:
    fastboot oem_unlock

Code:

Code:

Code:

Code:

Code:
    fastboot -w

Hello,

Happy New Year!

I believe that LG may have given the Nexus q the revival we have all been wanting with their new feature called "Earphone splitter" which allows simultaneous audio streaming through both bluetooth and the 3.5 headphone jack.

I have been running a nexus q as a central media device with netflix, youtube, and google play music in my living room since buying one off ebay a long while ago, although i did want to be able to use the banana plugs i bought for the speakers i already had. Im very unaware of the limitations that exist just from decompiling the stock LG G4 rom and implementing the dual media output that this new phone offers but using this as a stepping stone we may have a way to have the amplifier functionality with say hdmi output as well?

Here you go, but please mirror if you can because I need to take it down within 48 hours.

EDIT: Link removed