Hacking MiraScreen5G dongle to become EZCast5G dongle

Search This thread

Chatty

Apr 10, 2005
Hi,

I always found it saddening to notice EZCast5G (the "original") is updated at first and their knock offs are updated way later (as of writing this, there is 16602000 for EZCast5G, 16403000 for MiraScreen5G).

The update tool let's you easily analyze the update process. And if you fake the reply from this URL with (for example) miniweb to always dish out latest EZCast5G firmware then your knock off will become an original.

These are the requests made for a legit EZCast5G and a MiraScreen5G:
Code:
[COLOR="Purple"]curl http://www.iezvu.com/upgrade/ota_rx.php -d "{\"version\":1,\"vendor\":\"ezcast5g\",\"mac_address\":\"authorshxj\",\"softap_ssid\":\"000000-00000000\",\"firmware_version\":\"16602000\"}"[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Blue"]curl http://www.iezvu.com/upgrade/ota_rx.php -d "{\"version\":1,\"vendor\":\"am8252_nand_mirascreen\",\"mac_address\":\"authorshxj\",\"softap_ssid\":\"000000-00000000\",\"firmware_version\":\"16403000\"}"[/COLOR]

These are the official replys where you need to always dish out the first one and the update tool will do the rest:
Code:
[COLOR="Purple"]{"ota_conf_file":"http://cdn.iezvu.com/upgrade/ezcast5g/ezcast5g-16602000.conf","ota_fw_file":"http://cdn.iezvu.com/upgrade/ezcast5g/ezcast5g-16602000.gz","ota_enforce":true}[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Blue"]{"ota_conf_file":"http://cdn.iezvu.com/upgrade/am8252_nand_mirascreen/am8252_nand_mirascreen-16403000.conf","ota_fw_file":"http://cdn.iezvu.com/upgrade/am8252_nand_mirascreen/am8252_nand_mirascreen-16403000.gz","ota_enforce":true}[/COLOR]

When I opened mine it even read "5G EZCAST V1.4" on it - so I was pretty sure it should work. And it did. So for $17 one year ago I got myself a neat working EZCast5G. The MiraScreen5G gets into bootloader mode by pressing the one and only button right when you plug it into USB - no need to shorten pin 19 and 20 of the AM8252.

Attachments

• All.jpg
    All.jpg
    267.4 KB · Views: 1,153

enderffx

Sep 16, 2011
Hi,
BUMP :)

No honestly, could you elaborate how this works ? Have 2 MiraScreen5G dongles...

Ender

enderffx

Sep 16, 2011
Hi,
with some help from Chatty and another forum i got it done !

First i needed to add a line to my hosts file:
(On windows its found in C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc)
Code:
127.0.0.1 www.iezvu.com

Then i downloaded miniweb and created a file containing the desired server answer.
Miniwebs web root resides in the "htdocs" folder by default, so i created a folder named "upgrade" and in that folder a file named "ota_rx.php.
I edited that file to contain this text:
Code:
{"ota_conf_file":"http://cdn.iezvu.com/upgrade/ezcast5g/ezcast5g-16602000.conf","ota_fw_file":"http://cdn.iezvu.com/upgrade/ezcast5g/ezcast5g-16602000.gz","ota_enforce":true}

I fired up miniweb with the parameter "-p 80" to listen on the stabdard web port.
THEN i started the EZ Updater app, connected my dongle in Flash mode and VOILA it detected the version i wanted it to detect.
So it flashed (took forever with several loops) my MiraScreen5G to a EZCast5G !!!!

After that initial update the dongle detected a newer version and updated okay.

Please note that AFTER the update you cannot get into flash mode by simply pressing the key. I assume that key is not considered existing anymore since the EZCast5G has none as well :)
So for further flash-fun we need to short the Pin like its descived by Chatty !

THANKS Chatty & all,

Ender

nostupidthing

Nov 1, 2012
Just opened a K6 mirascreen and found these

nanya nt5cb64m16fp-dh 128mb ddr3 ram
am8272
samsung k9f1g08u0d 16mb flash
the pcb reads S?-EZCAST-8271-V2F

im unable to find a suitable firmware for it and no idea how to enter download mode....

---------- Post added at 06:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:35 PM ----------

the firmware says 1.3707.11 btw

SweenWolf

Hey Guys,
If someone knows, please share the knowledge.

Few Months ago when I was updating the firmware, my Dongle died due to power cut.
after reconnecting my PC couldn't read the version of my dongle. Today I wanted to revive my Dongle But have no to little experience on the Windows Debugging. I know my Dongle is not dead and it has no firmware, I also know that EZCast Repair tool can Flash the Firmware to it, I can download the firmware using the OP, I can also see that The App has options for Manually flashing the Firmware.
But I don't know how and what to do to access the areas shown in the Screenshot.
anyone please help me and point me to right direction.

Thanks in Advance.

dLightas

Jul 29, 2015
Hey Guys,
If someone knows, please share the knowledge.

Few Months ago when I was updating the firmware, my Dongle died due to power cut.
after reconnecting my PC couldn't read the version of my dongle. Today I wanted to revive my Dongle But have no to little experience on the Windows Debugging. I know my Dongle is not dead and it has no firmware, I also know that EZCast Repair tool can Flash the Firmware to it, I can download the firmware using the OP, I can also see that The App has options for Manually flashing the Firmware.
But I don't know how and what to do to access the areas shown in the Screenshot.
anyone please help me and point me to right direction.

Thanks in Advance.
Have you found any help? I have updated to EzCast firmware but now my dongle doesn't appear on wifi list and on TV only shows EzCast logo..

SweenWolf

Have you found any help? I have updated to EzCast firmware but now my dongle doesn't appear on wifi list and on TV only shows EzCast logo..

No I found no help.
All I need is access the flashing area.
I had 2 tools laying around (think i deleted those)
One was older and directly opened the firmware flashing page, but that doesn't have the partition table of My Dongle.
And the other tool which have the partition table, opens on main page (which is automated and does nothing)

If somehow i could access the firmware flashing area on the newer tool then I could revive my dongle.

If your dongle contained older chip of Action Electronics (earlier than 52) then the older tool can flash your dongle.

nostupidthing

Nov 1, 2012
Just opened a K6 mirascreen and found these

nanya nt5cb64m16fp-dh 128mb ddr3 ram
am8272
samsung k9f1g08u0d 16mb flash
the pcb reads S?-EZCAST-8271-V2F

im unable to find a suitable firmware for it and no idea how to enter download mode....

---------- Post added at 06:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:35 PM ----------

the firmware says 1.3707.11 btw
Today there was a firmware upgrade available and after updating it's dead any help

Edit: OK I was able to flash using this tool (https://mirascreen.com/pages/repair-tool-for-chip-8272-products) but still nothing comes up...

Edit 2: The new firmware is 1.10505.52

Last edited:

renda-l

Feb 23, 2010
MiraScreen G9 Plus
=================

[Name Model] , [Vendor String] , [Supported of the "MiraScreen G9 Plus"]
  • (EZCast5G) - ezcast5g - Not supported
  • (MiraScreen5G) - am8252_nand_mirascreen - Not supported
  • (EZCast 2H) - am_8270_ezcast4k-dongle_ezcast2h - Not supported
  • (EZCast TX) - am_8270_ezcast-tx_nand-std - Not supported
  • (EZCast 2) - am8271_ezcast2K - Not supported
  • (EZCast 4K) - ezcastduo - Not supported
  • (EZCast Band1) - am_8271_ezcast2-dongle_b1 - Not supported
  • (EZCast Ultra) - am_8275_ezcast-dongle_ultra - Not supported
  • (AnyCast M100) - sage_8272_mirascreen-dongle_anycast - Supported
  • (MiraScreen K6) - am_8272_mirascreen-dongle_std - Supported
Check Firmware over http api:

Current official firmware version for the "Mirascreen G9 Plus": 1.10505.61

Do you know others? I would for the model "Mirascreen G9 Plus"?

"Mirascreen G9 plus" supports alternative Firmware (Firmware tested on the "MiraScreen G9 Plus"):
Small modification of Wi-Fi antenna:

Last edited:

Anton TNT

Sep 24, 2020
Croatia
Android Automotive OS
Hi to all, can anyone help me please with my EZ mira app and dongle device associated with it (miracast).
I have tried to upgrade software for my miracast device thru EZmira app, but suddenly Commercials pop up and my upgrade has been stuck at 10% and won't go further , worse after disconnect or reset there is no signal at all anymore it does not start /boot nor emmit wifi signal. What to do (because of stupid commercial)??
I tried to reset device several times but nothing, tried reseting thru PC but it does not load or Windows does not recognoze device to upgrade it thru web tools.
Please can anyone get that firmware back in my device and restore it .
Much appriciated and thanks in advance!

renda-l

Feb 23, 2010
Hi to all, can anyone help me please with my EZ mira app and dongle device associated with it (miracast).
I have tried to upgrade software for my miracast device thru EZmira app, but suddenly Commercials pop up and my upgrade has been stuck at 10% and won't go further , worse after disconnect or reset there is no signal at all anymore it does not start /boot nor emmit wifi signal. What to do (because of stupid commercial)??
I tried to reset device several times but nothing, tried reseting thru PC but it does not load or Windows does not recognoze device to upgrade it thru web tools.
Please can anyone get that firmware back in my device and restore it .
Much appriciated and thanks in advance!
Do you have a specific device?

Manufacturing publishes tools to restore some firmware here:

Anton TNT

Sep 24, 2020
Croatia
Android Automotive OS
I have trided this solution , but no prevail, like device is dead, nothing just blank screen after failed update

renda-l

Feb 23, 2010
I'm not shure maybe I'm doing something wrong, but even windows doesn't recognize device
Yes, of course, if the firmware is faulty, the device is not recognized and does not work. You must follow the Firmware Recovery Procedure. The device will most likely be repaired. Unfortunately, unless you specify a specific type, you can't be specifically advised on how to proceed.

Anton TNT

Sep 24, 2020
Croatia
Android Automotive OS
Yes, of course, if the firmware is faulty, the device is not recognized and does not work. You must follow the Firmware Recovery Procedure. The device will most likely be repaired. Unfortunately, unless you specify a specific type, you can't be specifically advised on how to proceed.
It is MIRACAST, I dont know chip number but it is dongle type round shaped eith EZmira app controlled

renda-l

Feb 23, 2010
on which side is pin 7 and 8 ? Chip on my board is square shaped and got pins on all sides. Just to be sure not to fry anything, which side is NAND memory
If your device has a button, first try to enter recovery mode, press the button and connect USB.

In the procedure is a photo of the MCU and these pins are shown.

Top Liked Posts