Video tutorial for absolute newbies: How to Root + Upgrade + and load Custom ROM

Search This thread

klacker

Dec 5, 2011
kay thanks its working but i can't install apk manager cos my anddroid market keeps forcing close :(

turniton

Dec 8, 2011
Hey there everybody!

I am a total newbie! The tutorial seems pretty good, except for one problem: I am in Brazil, currently on 2.1, 2.0.A.0.504 . The PC Companion says I'm updated! There is not the option to go to 2.3 there! As the tutorial is based on using the PC Companion, what should I do?! I am really disappointed as I cannot follow this tutorial and can't find any other as good as this one on the web (I've been looking for it nonstop for almost 1 week!)

Please, ANY help would be much appreciated! Thank you all guys!

shonangreg

Nov 22, 2010
Yokohama south
fully functional? works on Japanese SO-01B too?

Thank you for the time you put into this clozecall (and everyone else helping out). I do have a couple of basic questions.

Does this give a fully functional CyanogenMod 7 on the Xperia X10? Video on the camera, the GPS, etc., they all work? I see so many partial threads on what is working and which port is experimental. What you have here seems fully functional. I don't get it.

Is the Japanese version, the SO-01B, also able to run this? I have rooted my phone and it is running:
Firmware version 2.1-update1
baseband version 2.0.52
kernel version 2.6.29 SEMCUser@SEMCHost #1
build number 2.0.1.B.0.19

Docomo in Japan is not going to update past 2.1, and I have not applied the update that came out about a month or two ago fearing that it might "fix" the vulnerabilities that gave me root.

Also, will I be able to put the phone in infrastructure mode for WiFi tethering to my android tablet? My Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet is locked down tight, and it will not connect to the ad-hoc / IBSS mode my X10 gives.

Thanks again,
Greg

Scootster

Dec 26, 2011
Hi, I'm having problem with my X10i (GB 2.3.3) like anybody else in the SE official forum. The phone restarted/reboot itself whenever it try to perform 'heavy' task like gps navigation using 3rd party apps, google etc. Sometimes a simple task as browsing photos will trigger the restart. My phone doesn't have those ATK or battery/ memory monitoring apps installed

I suspect these things happen due to cpu getting hotter or it could be something else which I have no ideas. Does rooting and flashing to different ROM will help eliminate this problems? Appreciate any advice. Thanx in advance

clozecall

Sep 22, 2010
www.babblingboolean.com
OK sorry for the huge absence, this semester has finally finished along with all the holidy family events. :D Remember I no longer have an X10, I haven't owned one for over a year, this tutorial was made on a friend's X10, if you have technical issues please check the correct thread to resolve the issue. Ex. Root won't complete? Try again and follow my video exactly, still doesn't work? Go to the thread that I reference! They are in the Youtube description boxes.

i was following along nicely in the 1st video up until almost the end when you turned PC Companion back on and the update was available, mine is not. im using T-Mobile in Los Angeles on a AT&T branded phone, i just switched over a couple months ago.
There is a way for me to put gingerbread on this thing, right?
another big difference i have from your video is when you go into Applications, i think the AT&T phones DONT have an Unknown Sources box to check/uncheck.
my FW version is 2.1-update1 and baseband version 2.1.65

Am i up a creek?
Ok I'm up in Canada so I'm not too familiar with AT&T's system but I read somewhere that they removed the "Unknown Sources" options for all of their phones until the Infuse 4G, and that was only released this summer, so you need to find a workaround for that, if it exists. As for firmware upgrade use PC Companion, if there is no update contact AT&T, I also read that they are horrible at doing firmware upgrades. Still having issues? Use the search function to find out, if nothing post a new thread, I'm sure there are others in the same situation with AT&T.

Hi,

I did it to my X10 and now are awesone!! but I want one more thing, how to debrand my X10 when CM7 is running, thanks! Great your tutos!
Use XDA search, although I don't see the point in debranding with CM7 and your welcome.
Does flashing a custom rom allow you to use other network SIMs on a network locked X10?
Nope, and I don't know much about it since I never tried, use XDA search.

i'm using erickwill rom :
NEW X10x EWJet xKernel Version X2.2ex

but when i get an update to the better version

NEW EWJET xKERNEL GINGERBREAD Version X5.1ex Rom - EW xKernel (The Magic EW Kernel release - Thanks to DooMLoRD, thjap, Zhzidu, viulian and Jerpelea for helping and a HUGE THANKS to DooMLoRD and Tkymgr for all help and sources) and POWERFUL PATCH V3.1e (05NOV11
HTML:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1192326

i have a little bit problem , my WIFI was an error , anyone know how to fix it ?? :D
You're going to have to ask in that same thread you referenced for help.

clozecall

Sep 22, 2010
www.babblingboolean.com
Hi guys...im a noob here...the tutorial was great..i installed wolf experia6 Rom...everything any fine...but i'm unable to use messaging app...i also tried 3rd party apps..t gets force closed...pls help.

Thanks i n advance..
Please ask within that thread or that developer.
I am getting the same error you were initially getting but I'm not following how you said you fixed it. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

My phone is currently

2.1-update1
2.1.A.0.492
You must be on the correct firmware, you're on Android 2.1 so use superoneclick. If you want to use the Android 2.3.3 root method then you must be on Android 2.3.3. It's explained in the videos, watch from the first one.

Well I'm heading out just now, please check this post again, I'll edit and update it as best as I can when I get back.

LightRokeN

Jan 3, 2012
I did what you showed in your video and it didn't work.
In part 2 i can't go to Recovery mode...It doesn't work and I did everything.
when I did it, it stuck in "Sony Ericsson"...and I did it with back key..I did what you said in the video

x10usersince2010

Feb 3, 2012
great info! I'm trying to install the u|b|doom wolf break rom for my x10, can some one go over a step by step procedure as to installing that specific rom as it requires an unlocked boot loadera

sapoide

May 8, 2011
i have a branded vodafone new x10 with 2.3.3 oficial already instaled.. can i follow this method safely?

Edit1: i was trying to do te root on 2.3- but i gert stuck on the part of connecting se usb cable when te phone vibrates.. i connect the cable but on the flash program nothing appeans...
what can i do?

Last edited:

sapoide

May 8, 2011
Hello all,
I manage to pass the above problem.. it has the drivers problem..

know im having problem with busybox.. not green..

Nost

Jan 13, 2009
sony ericsson screen don't change

hi mates,

when i try to reboot after flash upgrade, it does not reboot completely

i have waited about 20 min and nothing

what can i do?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey everyone I decided to make an in depth video tutorial so that no matter which version of Android you're running you can follow along until you reach the part of loading a custom ROM (in this case zdzihu's final Cyanogenmod 7).

This was made so that even the biggest noob can follow along this video tutorial if you're stuck with the X10 due to a contract why not get the most out of it?;)

Q: Have a an error? Got stuck?
    A: Please use XDA search since I didn't do any of the developing!

Q: Why start from Android 2.1 and show every single step until finally flashing the custom ROM?
    A: This was done intentionally so that no matter what version of Android you're on, if you find the video part that is like running the same version of Android as your X10 then you can follow along from there.

Q: Doesn't it seem a bit too long? I've seen shorter videos.
    A: Again, this was done intentionally so that even if someone is currently on Android 1.6 or 2.1 they can follow along. I want to show people how to backup apps before losing eveything, its pretty annoying otherwise.

Q: Why bother showing every step?
    A: My g/f and two friends are stuck with the X10 until their contracts allows them to hardware upgrade until next summer, I want to help other people get the most out of their phone. I don't care about donations, if this helps one person out I'm happy with that. It sucks paying tons of money for a device that is laggy and be stuck with it for years. XDA members have helped me many times, I just wanted to contribute back somehow, the more people share knowledge for free, then the world slowly becomes a better place.

In part 1:
    -How to backup contacts (like I said, for newbies :p)
    -How to install a driver for the computer
    -How to root
    -How to backup apps
    -How to upgrade to the official Sony Gingerbread

In part 2:
    -How to root Official Sony Gingerbread
    -Downloading XRecovery
    -Installing the Android SDK
    -Installing Xrecovery
    -Downloading xRecovery update
    -Downloading Cyanogenmod 7 files

In part 3:
    -Download Cyanogenmod 7
    -Restoring apps via root method

I take no credit for any of the rooting methods, or making the cusom ROMs, this is simply a video tutorial, all necessary links are in the Youtube video description.
    how can I upgrade my x10 2.1 to 2.3 when it shows it has the latest software?

It looks as though the official way of upgrading isn't available where you live or your wireless phone service hasn't released it. You'll have to find an alternate way of achieving it.

Thanks for the video :)
    but i already stucked in the flashing part, which i tried and got my phone bricked and again made it work. when i tried to install xrecovery, there 3 boxes werenot gone marked, which made me frustated. pls provide me the link for the installation of xrecovery thru PC which u had described it in the video.

Pls spray the info below for all noobs like me:
    whoever wants to try it, make sure u got all your backups. and back up of your .ftf too.:cool:
    Neve try Flashing more then 3 times, o/w your phone is going to get bricked:eek:, which i experienced myself, for which i was tensed :mad: too much during my phone got brick. Always get the returning path before you follow that path, which will make you safe and relaxed :)

The alternate method was linked in my second video, near the end of the description!:D You can check it out: here
    Nice work mate...
    Hi. Very nice work! I have a question though. My phone is already running on 2.3.3. Do I disregard the first root of the phone using superoneclick? Or do I have to flash the 2.1 version and start from there?
    Hi. Very nice work! I have a question though. My phone is already running on 2.3.3. Do I disregard the first root of the phone using superoneclick?

YES! you don't have to downgrade to 2.1!