Votes: 14 53.8%
  • Increase in battery life

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Search This thread

leoparis

Feb 5, 2010
Is wifi on or off? Anything that wakes the device up will cause an increase.

It was with wifi off (I usually keep wifi off). I am really not sure what might be causing the drain. I have installed a couple of applications like mantano, ezpdf etc. and froze some system apps that I don't use with titanium backup but to no avail.

bobstro

Jun 6, 2009
Rooting does install the Market and Gmail. You might check your Gmail settings to see if it's trying to poll in the background, or freeze it if you don't use it. Check your update settings in Market while you're at it.

You can use Spare Parts to see if anything is triggering wake locks (Partial wake usage). On my rooted NST,nafter 48 hours on battery, the bars are miniscule, with only "Media" visible at all as a tiny sliver at the left.

To really determine if it's "rooting", an app or just your device, you probably need to baseline it at stock to see what battery loss is unrooted. I see 1% loss per 6 hour or less when idle with wifi off.

Randy Lahey

Mar 23, 2006
It's interesting to see the diverse opinions in the poll as to whether rooting affects the battery life or not. But as mentioned, it's obviously the programs installed while rooting rather than the rooting itself that causes the issue.

If anyone has the time, would you be able to recommend (in laymans terms to someone who is windows proficient but knows nothing about android) how you could root your device and then remove/disable any programs that could potentially add to the battery drain?

Whilst it would be nice to use my NST to check email/internet on occasion, I'm interested in mostly using it to read ebooks and pdfs (with a quality pdf reading program).

Sorry to bang on about this if people are getting sick of this topic.

Cheers,

R

bobstro

Jun 6, 2009
[...] If anyone has the time, would you be able to recommend (in laymans terms to someone who is windows proficient but knows nothing about android) how you could root your device and then remove/disable any programs that could potentially add to the battery drain?
With Gabrial's TouchNooter, there wasn't much to do:
  1. I opened up Gmail and turned off background checks and all notifications. I eventually uninstalled Gmail altogether and replaced it with MailDroid, which gives more granular control.
  2. I disabled notifications in Market. Sorry, don't have the device handy to check the exact settings.
  3. I keep wifi off unless I'm explicitly using it.
I believe that was all for the base rooted configuration. In order to have wifi when I really need it but not worry about manually turning it on and off, I used Tasker to enable wifi when only specific apps (e.g. MailDroid, Opera, Droidsync) are running in the foreground, and turn it off when the screen goes off. I have found Tasker to be very quick at responding, so this is working very well. Better, in fact, than the fancier programs like Green Power or Juice Defender on my NOOK Color.

For any new program I load, I go through all the settings to turn off any notification or background polling.

Finally, I just don't load stuff that doesn't relate to the core functions I use the thing for. No games, no little-used programs. This is meant to be my "desperation" device when I'm stuck somewhere away from power for a prolonged period.

This strategy seems to be working well for me. YMMV, of course.

Reactions: shimi85

TheSaw

Dec 24, 2010
Cluj
With Gabrial's TouchNooter, there wasn't much to do:
  1. I opened up Gmail and turned off background checks and all notifications. I eventually uninstalled Gmail altogether and replaced it with MailDroid, which gives more granular control.

1. How did you do that? I can see the notifications, but how do you turn off the background updating?

bobstro

Jun 6, 2009
At the time I wrote that, I didn't have my NST with me so was going from memory. I just reinstalled Gmail, and that option isn't there. Perhaps it was removed from an older version, or I simply didn't remember correctly. Gmail did complain that it was set to manually synchronize, so it seems there was an option at one time.

In any case, I don't use the gmail app anymore, and instead use maildroid for more granular control.

Reactions: TheSaw

TheSaw

Dec 24, 2010
Cluj
At the time I wrote that, I didn't have my NST with me so was going from memory. I just reinstalled Gmail, and that option isn't there. Perhaps it was removed from an older version, or I simply didn't remember correctly. Gmail did complain that it was set to manually synchronize, so it seems there was an option at one time.

In any case, I don't use the gmail app anymore, and instead use maildroid for more granular control.

Thanks. Any other tips for battery management on NST? Something new you've found since you've posted half a year ago? :)

bobstro

Jun 6, 2009
Not too much new. I am experimenting with Guevor's OC kernel, and CPU Spy is showing that my NST is spending most of its time in Deep Sleep (which is good) and only jumping up to 1 GHz occasionally (which is also good), but I haven't used it long enough to determine if it's making a net positive impact on battery.

Tasker is my single most useful battery saving tool, since it ensures wifi is only enabled when needed. Forgetting wifi and leaving it on eats up more power than most any other activity I regularly do on this little thing. Other than that, just keep stuff from waking it up and polling unnecessarily.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    From my experience, most battery is wasted when refreshing the screen. When you root, most of the time your goal is to use some random android app. This means you are going to be refreshing the screen often, which uses battery.

Someone else tell me if I am wrong, thanks :D
    I don't think that root itself has any impact on battery life, but as you can do more with rooted nook, you consume more. Last week I've used mine almost 100% as a reader and battery is at 50%... and I read much more than 1 hour a day (that's the presumption for "2 months battery life" from B&N :))
    I've accidentally voted 'significant decrease' whereas in reality I have seen no change. An issue I've run into is that I have 'Keep Screen On' checked in EBookDroid so the page doesn't go away, but then when I'm done reading I forget to hit the power button to sleep it. This has drained the battery on me more than once.

Incidentally, it would be superfly if someone hacked together a script that copied the framebuffer to a file in the screensaver directory so when it went into sleep mode it would keep displaying the page while not wasting batteries.

I might hash that up when I have time.
    Or just turn it off :D
    [...] So, basically what you're saying is that if I were to root my NST, but continue to just use the nook software, I will basically get the exact same battery life?
    Exact is impossible to say, unless you're doing some sort of structured testing. What I can tell you based on my experience is that, if you're careful with what runs in the background, you can see battery life on a rooted NST on par with what you'd see unrooted.
    And that battery life is only affected by other programs that I may install?
    Only? No, not exactly. Whether you leave wifi on or off will make a big difference in battery life, whether rooted or not. Thus the statement that "battery life is only affected by other programs" is not true. Other programs may affect battery life, but may not be the sole consumer of battery.

In my ad-hoc testing, I saw battery drop roughly 1% per hour with wifi on. With wifi off, that drops to something less than 1% per 6 hours.
    So there is nothing installed standard on the nooter rooting software that causes additional battery drain?
    You're asking questions like a lawyer! I'm not comfortable saying that "there is nothing installed standard on the nooter rooting software", because the Android Market does check in the background for updates, so will consume some battery. Gmail is also installed, and can be set to do background updates.

You also haven't specified a rooting method. Some variants have loaded all sorts of additional software. I can only say that the software loaded by TouchNooter seems to have minimal impact.

Controlling when wifi is enabled has made the biggest impact on battery life in my experience. I'm using Tasker to control when wifi turns on and off, limiting it to a small handful of foreground apps. I disable any background synchronization I can.

The other question nobody can answer for you is how you'll use the device. Screen activity does impact battery life. If you're just reading, there's less of an impact than if you're playing Angry Birds.