[GUIDE] Root for Verizon Galaxy S4 ***VRUAMDK Build Only!***

Search This thread

CyberpodS2

Mar 27, 2012
NE Pennsylvania Boonies
Start here (if you have it), look at the box your GS4 came in and see what the last three characters of the build are (MDK, MK2, etc). If you are trying to root they will ID your build so you know which method to use.

If you are trying to flash a custom kernel and are not on or started from MDK you cannot flash the kernel. If you took an OTA update you also cannot flash a custom kernel. Also be aware that you are not able to downgrade the firmware to MDK. Flashing a custom kernel requires an unlockable or exploitable bootloader. The MDK bootloader is not unlockable but it can be exploited with a process called "loki" that allows installation of a custom recovery. That recovery is required to flash custom kernels and some ROMs (such as Cyanogenmod).

I don't have the link handy and do not remember off the top of my head, but if you are rooted and have a terminal emulator there is a command that when ran will give the bootloader version on your device. That info will tell what you have so you know what you can and can't do to your device.

http://goo.gl/TF7HcD that will show your boot loader.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

masters

Dec 23, 2006
Bay Point
I've been away and am rooted stock and on MDK (from when I bought the S4).. Recovery Team Win 2.6.3.1

Is there advantages up updating?
What is the most common ROM out there right now?
Will I lose the ability to Tether?

Are there many that stay Stock Rooted MDK?

Information welcome, directions towards rom appreciated..

lokerman

Feb 2, 2011
I've been away and am rooted stock and on MDK (from when I bought the S4).. Recovery Team Win 2.6.3.1

Is there advantages up updating?

Information welcome, directions towards rom appreciated..

1. Is there advantages up updating?

1) no
2) most common is impossible to know
3) will you lose the ability to tether if you upgrade? if that's your question, the answer is, it depends on what you do from that point. It will be much harder, however, to do anything and everything, if you give up MDK bootloader.
4) NO

I'm still one of the lucky people who held on to MDK thus far, and it is THE KEY to all open doors regarding this phone and customizations.
Your question was almost a joke, I thought, because everyone knows how bad they felt when they realized what they'd lost when they gave up their MDK to get an update. I say everyone, because the vast majority have taken the update to another bootloader, and there are very few of us left. Those of us who are left, have come to understand over time how easy we have it compared to everyone else on this phone. I'm not going to explain it in detail for you, only tell you to read a lot more before you do anything stupid that might cause you to lose your MDK. You will regret that if it happens.

masters

Dec 23, 2006
Bay Point
MDK and the future..

1. Is there advantages up updating?

1) no
2) most common is impossible to know
3) will you lose the ability to tether if you upgrade? if that's your question, the answer is, it depends on what you do from that point. It will be much harder, however, to do anything and everything, if you give up MDK bootloader.
4) NO

I'm still one of the lucky people who held on to MDK thus far, and it is THE KEY to all open doors regarding this phone and customizations.
Your question was almost a joke, I thought, because everyone knows how bad they felt when they realized what they'd lost when they gave up their MDK to get an update. I say everyone, because the vast majority have taken the update to another bootloader, and there are very few of us left. Those of us who are left, have come to understand over time how easy we have it compared to everyone else on this phone. I'm not going to explain it in detail for you, only tell you to read a lot more before you do anything stupid that might cause you to lose your MDK. You will regret that if it happens.

Thank you, I appreciate your input.. I'm fine sitting on MDK, but I know there are some apps out there that require a more updated android version than the 4.2.2 that I am on. And I haven't payed attention to the directions people went over the last year, which is why I asked, rather than try to go through a year worth of messages. I wasn't sure if there was any ROM out there that was the favorite. I've been on Original Droids, X2's and usually the crowd went one direction on those over time.

I also tether from time to time (tether hack that doesn't checkin) and I know that about a year ago updating to a newer ROM/Kernel meant you lost tethering.

Again thank you, kinda disappointing that there is no way around and that Samsung kept us locked up, was actually hoping for someone to respond and say "Go this way, it's no longer locked down and blahblah has a great rom" .. But a dream that won't come true.. *sigh* :(

Reactions: Droidatar

lokerman

Feb 2, 2011
Thank you, I appreciate your input.. I'm fine sitting on MDK, but I know there are some apps out there that require a more updated android version than the 4.2.2 that I am on. And I haven't payed attention to the directions people went over the last year, which is why I asked, rather than try to go through a year worth of messages. I wasn't sure if there was any ROM out there that was the favorite. I've been on Original Droids, X2's and usually the crowd went one direction on those over time.

I also tether from time to time (tether hack that doesn't checkin) and I know that about a year ago updating to a newer ROM/Kernel meant you lost tethering.

Again thank you, kinda disappointing that there is no way around and that Samsung kept us locked up, was actually hoping for someone to respond and say "Go this way, it's no longer locked down and blahblah has a great rom" .. But a dream that won't come true.. *sigh* :(

Hey man, whatever 4.2.2 ROM you're on, you don't have to stay with it. Like I said, READ a lot, and you will understand why what you said in your reply to me demonstrates that you don't really understand. I've tried every ROM out there, i.e. KITKAT ROMS, Jelly Bean ROM's, AOSP ROMS, everything!!! There is NO app that I am forbidden from using because of having MDK bootloader. On the contrary, there are a great many apps that I can use ONLY because of the open doors provided by the MDK bootloader. Good luck!

Abby Oddie

Aug 13, 2014
For new Android users, rooting an Android phone can often be an intimidating process, especially since there are so many different ways to gain root access, depending on your model and firmware version. I've previously covered a way of doing it for the AT&T version of the Samsung Galaxy S4 that has the MF3 firmware on it, but you needed an SD card reader, unzipping software, a terminal emulator, and more. Definitely not an easy task for a first-time rooter.

Droidatar

Jan 23, 2012
Thank you for posting this very easy to follow guide.

I recently came back from a soft brick after having rooted aprox 6 months ago. I redid the process thinking everything would be corrected by performing the root again. I wiped cache and dalvik first. I believe my issue is a faulty power button but I'm still getting quirky changes to wallpaper on reboot and such. I'm currently backing up and would like to know if doing a complete restore will be better than performing the odin flash alone.

If you need any additional info please let me know and thanks ahead for any responses.

masters

Dec 23, 2006
Bay Point
Still on MDK rooted, I think I'm going to start looking into flashing lollipop android 5. Just not looking forward to reinstalling everything.

I also hope I don't lose tethering since I still have unlimited data.

Reactions: Droidatar

biggio78

Mar 6, 2012
hi, i have a samsung galaxy s4 model sch-1545 verizon
the phone is to activate.
Is possible to load other language than english ?

thks
biggio

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    How to Root your Verizon Galaxy S4

***VRUAMDK Build Only! - Look for this***

KlBqIsX.jpg

Description: This is a simple guide that will allow you to easily root your Verizon Galaxy S4 device without having to wipe your device or flash a full prerooted factory image. This method works using a leaked prerelease kernel (provided by user sextape) and root method (provided by user djrbliss). Only change is I have modified the Motochopper root method to use the latest SuperSU instead.

Video Demo of the Full Process (Courtesy of DroidModd3rX)

***WARNING: DOES NOT WORK ON THE VRUAME7 BUILD***

If you have already updated to VRUAME7 BUILD please see link below for the NEW root method

Link to Thread

Step 1 - Preparation

1. Download and Install Samsung Official USB Drivers - Link
    2. Download and extract ODIN v3.07 - Link
    3. Download the VRUAMD2 Prerelease Kernel - Link
    4. Download the Stock VRUAMDK Kernel for your phone - Link
    5. Download and extract the Motochopper Root Exploit Tool - Link

Step 2 - Flashing VRUAMD2 Prerelease Kernel to remove Root block

• Boot phone into ODIN mode (See here for how-to)
    • Flash the VRUAMD2 Prerelease Kernel using ODIN v3.07 ***in PDA section only*** (See here for guide on flashing)
    • Boot back to Android and verifying everything is still working and kernel has flashed successfully

Step 3 - Rooting Your Device

• Go into Settings > More > About phone > tap "Build number" about 7 times until it unlocks Developer options
    • Verify in Developer options setting on your device that you have "USB debugging" checked
    • Verify in Developer options setting on your device that you have "Verify apps via USB" unchecked
    • Verify in Security setting on your device that you have "Unknown sources" checked
    • Verify in Security setting on your device that you have "Verify apps" unchecked
    • Connect your phone to your computer and open "Run.bat" file from the location you have extracted motochopper to
    • You will see a message on the phone asking you to accept the new computer connection (select to always allow and select OK)
    • After motochopper runs and your phone reboots on its own, check if SuperSU has any update in the Play Store
    • Open SuperSU app and let the binary update itself to the latest ***VERY IMPORTANT OR YOU WILL LOSE ROOT ON STEP 4***
    • Once complete, just open a root application and verify that is able to access root properly

Step 4 - Restoring Stock Kernel

• Boot phone into ODIN mode (See here for how-to)
    • Flash the Stock VRUAMDK Kernel using ODIN v3.07 ***in PDA section only*** (See here for guide on flashing)
    • Boot back to Android and verifying everything is still working and kernel has flashed successfully
    • After your phone boots back to Android, you should now be fully rooted and on the fully stock original firmware that came on your device

Step 5 - Restoring Custom Recovery (Optional)

• Make sure you are rooted first using the above 4 steps first
    • For official TWRP Recovery follow the steps in this thread (or download from Goomanager): Link Here
    • For official ClockworkMod Recovery just download ROM Manager app and install from there
    • For CWM-based Recovery follow the steps in this thread: Link Here
    • For OUDHS Gesture Touch CWM-based Recovery follow the steps in this thread: Link Here

Credits

Credit goes to sextape for providing the VRUAMD2 Prerelease Kernel (Original Source)
    Credit goes to sextape for providing the VRUAMDK Stock Firmware and Kernel (Original Source)
    Credit goes to djrbliss for creating Motochopper Root Exploit Tool (Original Post)
    Credit goes to cnlson for providing ftp filehosting (via PM)
    Credit goes to ChainsDD for creating Superuser (Original Source)

Please note: Credit for this method goes entirely to the users who have created these tools and provided the files. I am only bringing together all these files and creating a simple guide for everyone to follow.
    Well guys, I have very unfortunate news for those of you whom updated and wanted to get root again. It is no longer possible. The new locked bootloader prevents your from flashing the prerelease kernel and even prevents you from downgrading the bootloader itself or flashing back to VRUAMDK build so then you could flash the prerelease kernel. At this point anyone who updated is sort of "screwed" (as they say), including my own device. Unfortunatly until someone is able to find a new exploit we are seriously in trouble here as I don't have the knowledge to work on that level.
    Just wanted to let everyone know I have now added a video tutorial of the full root process to the OP with big thanks to DroidModd3rX who helped create a similar very simple to follow video for the Verizon Galaxy S III method for me in the past. Please feel free to comment and let me know if you guys have any questions or if this video helped please feel free to like and give credit to DroidModd3rX on his youtube channel. :good:
    So I can confirm that you obviously lose root after the new update. But not only that, the new VRUAME7 build flashes a new bootloader that prevents you from flashing the prerelease kernel effectively preventing you from rerooting after as well. I have a few ideas I'm going to try to get this working but it may require a few extra steps. Watch this thread for updates and DO NOT update to the new build yet if you want to keep root.
    Just to give everyone the short version of this guide assuming you are coming from stock this is what I did to get root, make status Official, and no lock icon.
    1. Flash VRUAMD2 kernel in ODIN
    2. Boot to OS (status will say Custom and you will get Protection notification - this is normal)
    3. Run motochopper root and let reboot on it's own (will have Lock Icon now at boot - this is normal)
    4. Open SuperSU and update the binary at the prompt
    5. Run some root app to verify root is working
    6. Boot back into ODIN and flash VRUAMDK kernel
    7. Boot to OS (Lock Icon will still show on boot) and open SuperSU again, verify that it's still working (Protection message will be gone)
    8. Again open a root app and check it is still working
    9. Reboot one more time (now it should not show the Lock icon)
    10. Check status is Official or Custom?
    11. If Custom, reboot once again and check again
    These are the exact steps I took line for line on my personal device.