sub/idx subtitle position issues.

Search This thread

nzhd

Mar 19, 2018
Hi,

I have some sub/idx subtitle files created for 720p videos and when I load them on 1080p video, they are too big, so I edited .idx file
from
Code:
# Original frame size
size: 1280x720

# Origin, relative to the upper-left corner, can be overloaded by aligment
org: 0, 0

to

Code:
# Original frame size
size: [COLOR="Red"]1920x1080[/COLOR]

org: [COLOR="red"]640, 360[/COLOR]

The results are.. like this.
So font size got smaller and looks really good on 1080p, but mx players doesn't seem to read the position part. It still displays on the left of the screen even though I edited it.

On my pc, I checked that the video player I use (potplayer) shows the subtitles on the correct position(bottom-center) with the edited idx file.

Could you please look into this issue?

Thanks in advance.

Thirumalai.K

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Sep 14, 2011
Hi,

I have some sub/idx subtitle files created for 720p videos and when I load them on 1080p video, they are too big, so I edited .idx file
from
Code:
# Original frame size
size: 1280x720

org: 0, 0

to

Code:
# Original frame size
size: [COLOR="Red"]1920x1080[/COLOR]

org: [COLOR="red"]640, 360[/COLOR]

The results are.. like this.
So font size got smaller and looks really good on 1080p, but mx players doesn't seem to read the position part. It still displays on the left of the screen even though I edited it.

On my pc, I checked that the video player I use (potplayer) shows the subtitles on the correct position(bottom-center) with the edited idx file.

Could you please look into this issue?

Thanks in advance.

Can you share the original & edited subs?
Generally, MX Player automatically scales when there is a resolution change.

nzhd

Mar 19, 2018
Can you share the original & edited subs?
Generally, MX Player automatically scales when there is a resolution change.

When the 720p subtitle is loaded on 1080p, I think it should be scaled down, when full screen, to be shown as the same size as the one on 720p. However, the font size gets bigger on 1080p. And this isn't just mx player though. I think that's how all the video player works with the .sub file. And not reading the position part in .idx file is not only mx player but also vlc and kodi as a matter of fact. On PC, I tested only Potplayer and it worked well with the edited .idx file.
Hope MX player does as well.

Attached .sub files in both zip files are the same and I edited just .idx file in "1080p.zip".

Thanks.

Attachments

• 720p.zip
    1.6 MB · Views: 50
  • 1080p.zip
    1.6 MB · Views: 56

Thirumalai.K

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Sep 14, 2011
Hi,
Have you checked the attached file you asked for?
any updates?

Hi,

Basically, vobsub is a bitmap based subtitle format. So, the trick you have used is not supported by the most of the vobsub renderers. We have checked some other players as well. The behaviour is same. If your intention is just to reduce the size, MX Player already has an option for you. Open menu > Subtitle > settings & Reduce the scale. It will scale down the subtitle sizes of bitmap based subtitles.

nzhd

Mar 19, 2018
Hi,

Basically, vobsub is a bitmap based subtitle format. So, the trick you have used is not supported by the most of the vobsub renderers. We have checked some other players as well. The behaviour is same. If your intention is just to reduce the size, MX Player already has an option for you. Open menu > Subtitle > settings & Reduce the scale. It will scale down the subtitle sizes of bitmap based subtitles.

Thank you so much!

I didn't notice there's a scale option in the settings. I always used the size option for .srt files so when it made no difference with .sub file, I tried to edit the .idx file.

The scale option works perfectly. Thanks again!:)