Useful Thread - Collection Sticky - Everything You Need for Galaxy Y

Search This thread

nikufellow

May 14, 2012
simcity
Two apps I stumbled on in the play market that really floored me:

Root App Delete - Free app that lets you freeze, and subsequently delete if you want to, system installed/pre-installed apps
Galaxy Toolkit - Free app that lets you perform network unlocking on your rooted SGY

Of course, your phone needs to be rooted first. Hope this helps! :good:

-Jon

well you could always use titanium backup for freezing and deleting apps ;)

Deixus

Feb 11, 2013
Thanks for all the tips...

A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.
- Albert Einstein -

gwmbox

Jun 13, 2013
Please help a noob to understand the documentation

I am still reading through the extensive guides and instructions, however the more I do the more I get confused, I think :(

What I want to do is modify my Galaxy Y so that I can add more memory (Via SWAP) and also be able to move applications that are on the Phone storage to the SD Card.

What I am not sure of is where to start. Do I flash, Rom, root or what first and what is the best way?

I assume I need to do a backup first, but is that best done via the phone or the PC. Is that just a case of drag and copy from the phone storage to the PC? What if I stuff it up, can I restore the phone back to default as it is now before I do anything, how best to ensure that can be done?

I had a look re ODIN, but there is no Australia Telstra default package (that I have found yet) so how do I ensure I have a fail-safe return to default option?

Finally setting the swap, do I use CWM or Mini Partition wizard, or does it not matter?

Do proceed is the correct steps in order of - Back up - Root/Rom/Flash - Swap - Move Apps?

I found a couple of other sites that seem to be simpler in the steps, that being (I have had to edit the urls due to the forums 10 post requirements, please replace space dot space with just a dot

Rooting : www dot galaxyystation dot blogspot.in/2012/12/how-to-root-samsung-galaxy-y-gt-s5360.html?m=1

Swap file: galaxyystation dot blogspot dot com dot au/2013/03/how-to-increase-internal-phone-memory.html

The second link has two downloads, which I have downloaded onto my PC, do I just add them to the SD card or something else, as that guide was not clear to me, as in step 4 it says to look for and select “skin1980-G1-S5360+CWM.zip” which I assume I should have already placed in the root of the sd card. yes? No? However the file I have is "CWM.zip" not "skin1980-G1-S5360+CWM.zip"

Thanks for taking the time to help

G

Last edited:

EatHeat

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 5, 2013
Calcutta
www.facebook.com
Please help a noob to understand the documentation

I am still reading through the extensive guides and instructions, however the more I do the more I get confused, I think :(

What I want to do is modify my Galaxy Y so that I can add more memory (Via SWAP) and also be able to move applications that are on the Phone storage to the SD Card.

What I am not sure of is where to start. Do I flash, Rom, root or what first and what is the best way?

I assume I need to do a backup first, but is that best done via the phone or the PC. Is that just a case of drag and copy from the phone storage to the PC? What if I stuff it up, can I restore the phone back to default as it is now before I do anything, how best to ensure that can be done?

I had a look re ODIN, but there is no Australia Telstra default package (that I have found yet) so how do I ensure I have a fail-safe return to default option?

Finally setting the swap, do I use CWM or Mini Partition wizard, or does it not matter?

Do proceed is the correct steps in order of - Back up - Root/Rom/Flash - Swap - Move Apps?

I found a couple of other sites that seem to be simpler in the steps, that being (I have had to edit the urls due to the forums 10 post requirements, please replace space dot space with just a dot

Rooting : www dot galaxyystation dot blogspot.in/2012/12/how-to-root-samsung-galaxy-y-gt-s5360.html?m=1

Swap file: galaxyystation dot blogspot dot com dot au/2013/03/how-to-increase-internal-phone-memory.html

The second link has two downloads, which I have downloaded onto my PC, do I just add them to the SD card or something else, as that guide was not clear to me, as in step 4 it says to look for and select “skin1980-G1-S5360+CWM.zip” which I assume I should have already placed in the root of the sd card. yes? No? However the file I have is "CWM.zip" not "skin1980-G1-S5360+CWM.zip"

Thanks for taking the time to help

G

Start by rooting your device first.

After that flash the cwm.zip and make a nandroid backup. And make sure u have enough space on your sd card before you do that. It is done by phone only, not PC.

Then partition your sd card. Its better to use minitool. But you can do it with cwm too.

Both of your cwm files should work. Use anyone you want. But I would suggest referring to xda threads for procedures instead of external sites or blogs.

Here's a guide I made long ago.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2085390

There should be another thread here too. You can refer to any of them.

gwmbox

Jun 13, 2013
Start by rooting your device first.

..snip snip ...

Here's a guide I made long ago.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2085390

There should be another thread here too. You can refer to any of them.

I downloaded the file on that post and tried to root but it does not work, it gets to the end and says something like

E:Error in /tmp/sideload/packcage.zip (status 7) Installation aborted

I tried it three times, the red text came up, I selected the update.zip files, I restarted and the same issue each time

Oh I just realised too , my model number is listed as GT-S5360T. Is that the cause since it has the T on the end? I think its because I have a Telstra (Australia) model

Please help

EDIT: I found a universal root tool (http://stoneboytony dot blogspot dot com dot au/2013/03/samsung-universal-gingerbread-root.html) but I cannot get the file unless I subscribe to some stupid mobile service which I do not want, does anyone know where else I can get the file please.

G

Last edited:

gwmbox

Jun 13, 2013
please help me root my phone, please please

If you have a pc , download the file via your pc and click test by opening it in winRar.

As per my posts above I still need help to root my phone, I need direct access to the relevant zip file and not require subscribing to a phone service. I am happy to pay for the file but not via a phone scam/service.

Please help

GW

gwmbox

Jun 13, 2013
HI all, I am willing to pay someone to help me get this resolved, I really would like to have my GT-S5360T (note the T) get successfully rooted please.

Thank you

Aug 20, 2013
Hi.. still confused by how many custom kernel out there...
so could you mention what the best kernel to choose...
specially that support cyanogenmod?

and whats the diferrent between cyanogen and other custom rom?

studnil4u

Oct 7, 2013
which stock firmware to choose? I am confused?

My phone details:

PDA : S5360DDLC3
PHONE : S5360DDLA2
CSC : S5360DDLA2

Need stock rom urgently plz help someone.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts