18 posts
Thanks Meter: 2

By radioham, Junior Member on 7th May 2017, 07:14 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
9th May 2017, 03:58 PM |#11  
Flag Pune
Thanks Meter: 6

More
I can confirm that my s8 plus exynos version can play HEVC 1080p 10bit HDR in HW and HW+ mode on mxplayer. Also played it in stock player and couldnt find any difference between both apps. Seems to be working well with HDR in both. Also played a 12bit 720p HEVC video but Mxplayer could only play it in SW mode.
Havent tried 4k yet.

9th May 2017, 04:06 PM |#12  
Flag New York
Thanks Meter: 351

More
Question HDR Video Playback Discussion Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirumalai.K

I have asked this as you have mentioned that MX doesn't pickup meta data.
So, what's the exact issue?
can you add some snapshots?

i'm not sure how to submit this info to you.

video players (on Galaxy S8) behave the same way as HDR capable TVs pretty much, they boost brightness and contrast once metadata is detected. however, there's very little technical data provided regarding HDR capabilities of these mobile screens/devices. officially, Samsung only supports their own HDR10+ format which operates with dynamic metadata but there're no HDR10+ videos in the wild (i'm not entirely sure about this either) since it's new and targeted at streaming resources. most (all?) of the files out there are HDR10 (like that Jazz demo posted above) with static metadata only but the phone has no issues playing them and display proper HDR. why files marked as "Dolby Vision" "work" i have no idea either.

i tested MX player with random files and few didn't boost brightness and looked non HDR while stock player was able to reproduce HDR.
9th May 2017, 04:45 PM |#13  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 4,036

More
I can understand the how it will look with / without HDR.

In general the stock mediaplayers are based on mediaplayer api. So, technically MX Player's HW Decoder (not HW+) should be able to replicate the behaviour of stock one as it's based on mediaplayer api. If it doesn't work with MX's HW & works on stockplayer, we really need to check whether the issue is on our side or nit. samsung may not be using mediaplayer api or dynamically adjust the brightness values externally based on the metadata.

We do not have a S8 device to test. It will be better if you can provide some information like what are the videos (may be some links) working & what doesn't. It might be helpful to understand the issue better.
9th May 2017, 11:13 PM |#14  
Flag New York

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirumalai.K

We do not have a S8 device to test. It will be better if you can provide some information like what are the videos (may be some links) working & what doesn't. It might be helpful to understand the issue better.

sounds good, i'll try to compile some info for you.

---------- Post added at 05:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:11 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by husaintaherali

I can confirm that my s8 plus exynos version can play HEVC 1080p 10bit HDR in HW and HW+ mode on mxplayer.

720 and 1080 10bit HDR files? no such things exist

also how do you know you're playing HDR? do you have a reference HDR capable TV? does the phone boost brightness and contrast automatically when you play them (not to be confused with Video Enhancer)?
10th May 2017, 07:08 PM |#15  
Flag Pune

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mannequin

sounds good, i'll try to compile some info for you.

---------- Post added at 05:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:11 PM ----------

720 and 1080 10bit HDR files? no such things exist

also how do you know you're playing HDR? do you have a reference HDR capable TV? does the phone boost brightness and contrast automatically when you play them (not to be confused with Video Enhancer)?

720p wasn't HDR. 1080p was a sample of a movie in HDR(atleast the guy i got it from said so). And it looked to have high contrast/brightness. Not Sure if it was HDR or just looked like it. I dont have HDR TV.

If u got a small size sample of HDR 1080p or 4k 10bit HEVC video, please provide me a download link and i will report back to you.
10th May 2017, 07:27 PM |#16  
Flag New York

More
Quote:

720p wasn't HDR. 1080p was a sample of a movie in HDR(atleast the guy i got it from said so). And it looked to have high contrast/brightness. Not Sure if it was HDR or just looked like it. I dont have HDR TV.

If u got a small size sample of HDR 1080p or 4k 10bit HEVC video, please provide me a download link and i will report back to you.

the Jazz video linked few posts above.
11th May 2017, 05:45 AM |#17  
Flag Pune

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mannequin

the Jazz video linked few posts above.

The format of that video seems to be mp4, not mkv. Is it really x265 instead of x264?
11th May 2017, 05:48 AM |#18  
Flag New York

More
Quote:

The format of that video seems to be mp4, not mkv. Is it really x265 instead of x264?

yes, it's HEVC Main10.
11th May 2017, 10:05 PM |#19  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Guy There's plenty of HDR videos on demo-uhd3d.com, h264, h265, 2k, 4k, 8 or 10 bits, 30fps, 60 fps, etc...
For info 4k HDR 10 bits videos read on TAB S3 with MX Player or native Samsung player have very high contrast, plenty of details and vivid colors.
12th May 2017, 04:56 PM |#20  
Flag Pune

More
Mxplayer

Stock player

Played the jazz video on Both players, looked same and it looked to have more brightness then the other non-HDR videos, but not enough like the other 1080p hdr video i played before. Colors looked great too. Played in crop mode on stock and 100% on mx.

Im unable to upload all the screenshots due to my slow net.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20170512-195147.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	213.4 KB
ID:	4147261   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20170512-195307.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	270.0 KB
ID:	4147264   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20170512-195237.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	276.7 KB
ID:	4147267   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20170512-195417.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	237.4 KB
ID:	4147284  
13th May 2017, 04:33 AM |#21  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 4,036

More
Quote:

Mxplayer

Stock player

Played the jazz video on Both players, looked same and it looked to have more brightness then the other non-HDR videos, but not enough like the other 1080p hdr video i played before. Colors looked great too. Played in crop mode on stock and 100% on mx.

Im unable to upload all the screenshots due to my slow net.

It might be due to values specified in the meta.
If it doesn't work with any other files, let me know.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)