[Discussion] What's your next smartphone / What should I buy

Search This thread

tonydd

Jul 15, 2007
Ended up buying the Alcatel idol 4 from the UK for the 3gb version. Should be a nice upgrade to the lg g2. Now to find something to replace my Sony Z3.

NoOneLt

Nov 20, 2015
Hi everyone need advice on next phone, looking at Nexus 6P vs. LG G5, Chinese phones is not an option because i need invoice and i am in EU, it should cost 300-450 EUR, mentioned phones costs about 420 in my country.
What i need is performance and battery life, camera, screen etc. is not essential.
6P seems to be great phone but SD810 seems to be twice slower than SD820, but LG G5 oly have 2800mAh. Can not find any better options than these for the price.

Thanks for help!

strongst

Senior Moderator - Developer Committee
Staff member
Sep 18, 2007
thank's
HTC Desire
HTC Raphael: Touch Pro, Fuze
Hi everyone need advice on next phone, looking at Nexus 6P vs. LG G5, Chinese phones is not an option because i need invoice and i am in EU, it should cost 300-450 EUR, mentioned phones costs about 420 in my country.
What i need is performance and battery life, camera, screen etc. is not essential.
6P seems to be great phone but SD810 seems to be twice slower than SD820, but LG G5 oly have 2800mAh. Can not find any better options than these for the price.

Thanks for help!
You can get Chinese phones also within the EU! I bought my Zuk Z1 on Amazon with invoice and warranty.

CM_boneZ

May 2, 2016
Pixel phones with impressing features? What are features other phones did not have? Android 7(my zuk has it already)? The extreme price(buy an iPhone)? I really don't know why I should buy pixel phones... Please tell me if there's a good reason no other android phone has.

Well, I don't know if it's just me or what but I just want the look of a standard AOSP android.

strongst

Senior Moderator - Developer Committee
Staff member
Sep 18, 2007
thank's
HTC Desire
HTC Raphael: Touch Pro, Fuze
Well, I don't know if it's just me or what but I just want the look of a standard AOSP android.
CyanogenMod or AOSP is available for nearly all devices with better specs to lower prices. Google did it like Samsung with its Galaxy. The first ones were really price competitors by high end hardware, then every device gets more expensive :(

gerg004

Oct 16, 2010
I know it's speculation at this point, but does it seem likely that whatever Samsung has planned for the Galaxy s8 is really going to be a game changer?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

force70

I know it's speculation at this point, but does it seem likely that whatever Samsung has planned for the Galaxy s8 is really going to be a game changer?

Well the note 7 was a game changer. ....in liken the worst way EVER lol.

But yeah...they need to deliver something truly spectacular to get consumers looking their way again.

But even that may not be enough given the damage done with 2 recalls.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk 2

gerg004

Oct 16, 2010
Well the note 7 was a game changer. ....in liken the worst way EVER lol.

But yeah...they need to deliver something truly spectacular to get consumers looking their way again.

But even that may not be enough given the damage done with 2 recalls.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk 2
Sorry I forget the specifics, only that they're using a new chip?

CM_boneZ

May 2, 2016
CyanogenMod or AOSP is available for nearly all devices with better specs to lower prices. Google did it like Samsung with its Galaxy. The first ones were really price competitors by high end hardware, then every device gets more expensive :(

Couldn't disagree with that. It seems like it's all about the money though. Well, if I can't afford to have a Pixel maybe I'll go for an Xperia. The one at a mid-range bracket and then flash CM in it.

dougunder

Feb 2, 2011
Springfield ma
Anyone recommend a good durable phone without crappy hardware?
Currently using Kyocera E6560. Leaves a lot to be desired.

I'm in the US using puretalk (AT&T) cool w/ PagePlus too(VRZ) so no Chinese phone unless it does 4G.
I've look as they have some cool IP rated phones but saw none that were AT&T compatible.

Also hesitate to get another S5,6,7 active. Both me and my brother in law had the WiFi just fail. Me on an S4 active, he had an S5 active.
Their software blows as well.

Looked at the moto turbo 2 but I'll be damned if I'm paying $625 for a locked bootloader.
Had a turbo 1 that that the screen shattered on, terrible call quality esp with voip.

I'll pay $600 for an open phone, or $300 if not as long as it's root able.
Afwall and adaway are non negotiable.

Wish Casio still made phones. Those were tanks.

TopperGas

Mar 9, 2013
Can someone help me? I can choose a new phone from my provider. I can choose Between the newest phones from Samsung, Sony, Huawei ore LG. Custom Roms are very important for me. I big screen, big Battery and good sound is important too, thanks for ideas.
If you can get a Samsung Galaxy S7, or better still S 7 Edge, why consider getting anything else?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

TopperGas

Mar 9, 2013
Sooner have the best phone, than the best ROM if someone was paying for it and then modify the phone ROM as best I can.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

NoOneLt

Nov 20, 2015
OP3 vs. Mi5? Like OP3 but i hate that there is no descent screen protectors for ir because of edged screen. You opinions?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Before you buy an used phone, check it with this app:

See how many charging cycles it has.
    500+ and you know the battery is on way down.
    Any hint how I can obtain physical access to a device that I don't own yet in order to install this certainly great app for the suggested check?
    G53 is a low end phone - G42 is a better choice.
    Amoled, FHD, better SoC etc

Xperia 10 III is as good as G42, with more RAM, but an older phone and cost more:
    Before you buy an used phone, check it with this app:

See how many charging cycles it has.
    500+ and you know the battery is on way down.
    Thanks. Won't work on my phone as it's for Android 14, but am looking for another app to check number of cycles.

Its a bit older phone, but still nice.
    Bit smaller screen size, smaller battery, less RAM, but a better camera, OTG support, and should get Android 14 too.

If the price is right, lower than G84, and you like the phone, go for it.

If the price is the same, and the camera is not in your focus, then get the G84 because it has an amasing battery life, microSD expansion is very nice too.
    Modern day lower midrangers offer the luxury of 6gb ram, faster processors and are an exciting segment to look.

Here are few truly valuable midrangers, suiting our preferences: (premium camera, 4k video rec & microsd support)
    • Realme 12 plus - mar 24 _ 50p,8w,2m​

Realme, well known for its camera 1st approach and has recently released a bombshell right there.
    • Samsung F54 5g - July 23_ 64p,2w,8m​

A popular midranger over the past few months that ticks all boxes and even chosen as best midranger by many websites.
    • Oppo F25 Pro - Feb 24 _32p,2w,8m​

Very high bang for the buck right here and Camera has been a big flex of this phone.
    • Oppo Reno 11 -jan 24 _50p,8w,32t​

This phone is highly rated for its slowmo video especially and comes with a flagship telephoto lens as well. All this comes at a higher price making it a higher mid Ranger.

The moto G54 and G84 are the other big guns in the category but don't support 4k video and dont have macro lens.

(P - primary lens, W- wide angle, M - Macro, T - telephoto)
    Thank you so much for the elaborate response, after 5 days of intense research, I wasn't happy enough with the offers at the 300-400 range, not enough to call the shot, so I ended up lowering the budget to avoid disappointment, and got a poco x6 for 277 euros, is alright, I feel like if I had forked out more for a redmi note 12 pro plus or note 13 pro plus, I would feel disappointed...
    mines is either galaxy s3 or galaxy note for t-mobile

Sent from my SGH-T989 using XDA Premium App
    For sure Samsung Galaxy S3

Gesendet von meinem GT-N7000 mit Tapatalk
    Asus Padfone for me!
    Not sure yet, but seeing as my HTC has had its life dramatically extended by HTC unlocking bootloader for thier devices and so making it much easier to root and mod I am finding it difficult to find a complelling reason to move from HTC
    Probably the Galaxy S3. Hopefully we'll see an updated Note later in the year.