FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

The AT&T Jelly Bean Release Thread (4.1.1 released; Kies and OTA)

866 posts
Thanks Meter: 435

By ikjadoon, Senior Member on 10th November 2012, 08:10 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
4th December 2012, 02:45 PM |#1081  
Flag San Jose,CA
Thanks Meter: 32

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheQat

I triangled-away (was already using a basic rooted stock), undid my root/reflashed to original stock using Odin, factory reset, and actually installed Kies on my system for this...

Yeah, I'm paranoid, want to be sure I can warranty return/replace if something goes wrong with the first big update to the phone (only had it a couple of weeks) before I go whole-hog.

Plus I figure it'll take a few days for people to figure how to root this one, and I didn't want to wait. I can live without root for a few days.

(This post hyperlinked to give people not as familiar with things starting points to do the same if desired)

I followed the exact steps as you . I used CF auto root and it works perfectly. I like it better than qpst because it keeps stock recovery.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1963790
4th December 2012, 02:49 PM |#1082  
Flag Hillsborough
Thanks Meter: 14

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigp23940

Look for Mr Robinson thread in the Dev section for Odin/flash info.

Are you referring to the section on Odin in the Mr. Robinson post from last evening?

Second,
Extract the root66_xxx_.tar.md5 from the .7z file you downloaded.
Use Odin, put phone into download mode [with phone off, hold vol. down + home + power ], connect to computer and open Odin.
once in odin click the PDA field and select the root66_xxx_.tar.md5 you downloaded.
Leave Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time checked.
click start and
when done let phone reboot.
If you have issues flashing with Odin please ensure you are using the microusb cable that came with the phone, users have had issues using other cables.
If you just want a stock, rooted phone with no custom recovery, no plans to flash custom roms, etc. then you can stop HERE.
4th December 2012, 02:50 PM |#1083  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIGHTSOUT225

Welp, after 5 hours of waiting to see if the upgrade was ever gonna progress further than 2% (it didn't), I decided to pull the plug. Mistake. I am now having to use a different PC in order to do a Firmware Emergency Recovery.

Oh joy.

I am stuck at 55% and I have no idea what to do now. I was going to pull the plug but this makes me not want to do that. Why do you need to use a different pc to do a firmware recovery? If I pull the plug will I have to do the same? Any help please? I am unrooted, so I don't have tons of options that people have mentioned.
4th December 2012, 02:56 PM |#1084  
Thanks Meter: 125

More
this is epic! got Kies to work, everything seems much faster, esp text messages and screen transitions!
4th December 2012, 02:56 PM |#1085  
Flag Atlanta
Thanks Meter: 108

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by randun

Are you referring to the section on Odin in the Mr. Robinson post from last evening?

Second,
Extract the root66_xxx_.tar.md5 from the .7z file you downloaded.
Use Odin, put phone into download mode [with phone off, hold vol. down + home + power ], connect to computer and open Odin.
once in odin click the PDA field and select the root66_xxx_.tar.md5 you downloaded.
Leave Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time checked.
click start and
when done let phone reboot.
If you have issues flashing with Odin please ensure you are using the microusb cable that came with the phone, users have had issues using other cables.
If you just want a stock, rooted phone with no custom recovery, no plans to flash custom roms, etc. then you can stop HERE.

My first attempt with Kies last night didn't work either...I was running rooted LH9 with LI5 modem. Kies didn't like that and said my phone was not upgradeable. Shortly after that, the rooted version came available, so I used Odin with that using the above process and everything worked...for a bit.

After everything upgraded via Google Play, I used TiBu to integrate them back into the ROM. After that, Contacts kept giving me an FC. I cleared contacts data, and rebooted. Since then, it works.

I'm with everyone else, though. It basically looks like ICS only faster with Google Now. I already had GN on ICS, so not much of a change. I'm pretty sure phone calls still don't route through USB when docked (I'm basing that on my wife's T-Mobile JB update which doesn't do it either).
4th December 2012, 03:07 PM |#1086  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Grabbed the rooted version from the other thread and copied it to my phone this morning before work and did a fresh Titanium Backup backup. Downloaded Mobile Odin and flashed it (selecting the wipe options), reinstalled Ti and restored my old data. Work PC is locked down so regular Odin wasn't an option due to admin rights.

Prior to this I was running BlackJelly based on Sprint's JB. Will be flashing the wife's S3 this evening.
4th December 2012, 03:09 PM |#1087  
Flag Sweet Home Alabama
Thanks Meter: 71

Donate to Me
More
Loving the JB update.. performance increase in my opinion..

Also noticed the issue with LED not blinking with 3rd parting messaging apps like Handcent has been resolved. LED blinking and using the correct selected color now.

Also flashed 4.2 camera and 360 degree panorama is working on stock JB..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bamastang For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bamastang Ad-Free
4th December 2012, 03:11 PM |#1088  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
If you thought iTunes was bad, there is not a word to describe Samsung Kies. It is funny how much Kies resembles iTunes. Anyhow, I plugged phone, it asked me if I wanted to upgrade firmware, so I clicked my way through. Started to download "components" and once it reached 100%, it went into "Not Responding" state (GREAT!!!). I force closed Kies like 5 times before I gave up and I simply ignored it while in the "Not Responding" state and I continued to surf the net... fast fwd 5-7 min, it came back to life !! Started to do its thing until it was done. Phone restarted and bamm JB.

Chages I've noticed so far:
  • Folders are now groups of icons which I like
  • Lock Screen can now hold 5 shortcuts
  • Mobile Data toggle is gone (I bet that was AT&T)
  • Google Now
  • Time/Date on Notification Panel
  • Blocking Mode in Settings
  • Cell Standby usage is now reported correctly
4th December 2012, 03:12 PM |#1089  
Flag Hillsborough
Thanks Meter: 14

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by troycarpenter

My first attempt with Kies last night didn't work either...I was running rooted LH9 with LI5 modem. Kies didn't like that and said my phone was not upgradeable. Shortly after that, the rooted version came available, so I used Odin with that using the above process and everything worked...for a bit.

After everything upgraded via Google Play, I used TiBu to integrate them back into the ROM. After that, Contacts kept giving me an FC. I cleared contacts data, and rebooted. Since then, it works.

I'm with everyone else, though. It basically looks like ICS only faster with Google Now. I already had GN on ICS, so not much of a change. I'm pretty sure phone calls still don't route through USB when docked (I'm basing that on my wife's T-Mobile JB update which doesn't do it either).

Hmm, your experience doesn''t sound very good at all. That's what I'm leery of. I've never had any trouble with Kies Air, but Kies has never worked for me.
4th December 2012, 03:26 PM |#1090  
Flag Atlanta
Thanks Meter: 108

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by randun

Hmm, your experience doesn''t sound very good at all. That's what I'm leery of. I've never had any trouble with Kies Air, but Kies has never worked for me.

I kind of expected to go the Odin route anyway because of the root issue. I had already rooted ICS via that method. The Contacts FCs were almost expected, as well because I saw the same behavior on my wife's T-Mobile using Mr. Robinson method (for T-Mobile JB, of course). On her phone I did a factory reset to fix the problem, but that wasn't an issue since I had only had it for a few hours at the time with no apps or personal data yet. On mine, I didn't want to go that far unless I had to, so I tried the clear data and reboot. Fortunately, it worked!
4th December 2012, 03:32 PM |#1091  
Flag Conway
Thanks Meter: 59

More
Anyone notice the status bar not being solid black anymore? Almost "grey like". Not sure if I'm a fan of that! Anyways upgraded just fine through keys after I reset flash counter. Lost root but no biggie, just used the CF method and worked like a charm!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)