FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

The AT&T Jelly Bean Release Thread (4.1.1 released; Kies and OTA)

866 posts
Thanks Meter: 435

By ikjadoon, Senior Member on 10th November 2012, 08:10 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
28th November 2012, 01:58 PM |#481  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoobie-doo

I think this just goes to prove yet again that AT&T customer service doesn't find out about anything until the update actually is released.
The bottom line is that AT&T won't allow the update to be certified until they are satisfied with the update, especially given the fact that it will end up on phones they are still selling. What it is they are concerned about testing, who knows. And while people on this community care about the source code and the updated functionality. The vast majority of people who bought their phones from AT&T do not.

It will be interesting to see which phones receive updates starting December 3 per Samsung Canada's announcement this morning https://twitter.com/SamsungMobileCA/...08404155629568, if the i747m is updated that day, then presumably the causes for further delay get harder to justify.

i just went ahead and installed the latest stable CM10... its great except that i cant seem to run samsung apps (specifically wanting to run polaris viewer for office document viewing)... anyone have any idea how to do that?
28th November 2012, 02:26 PM |#482  
Flag Philadelphia
Thanks Meter: 73

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by badler6545

I don't know if I read that in really a hostile way, but I have noticed XDA is sometimes lacking a bit of patience. It would be a much happier place if we just all got along.

Anyway, I hope the rep was right for the good of all of us.

Its not the lack of patience. Its that 2 other major carriers (Sprint and T-Mobile) have already released their updates for THE SAME PHONE. On top of that, T-Mobile has even more customization than AT&T, what with the WiFi calling feature. Couple that with AT&T is much larger than Sprint and T-Mobile and the assumption that because of that, they should have more resources available to them and you get people questioning what is taking so long.

AT&T is notorious for taking much longer than other carriers to release updates. The Pantech Burst update was promised on Sept 17th, and from all accounts was READY on Sept 17th... but AT&T forced Pantech (for undisclosed reasons) to not release it for another week. Pantech ended up looking like the a-hole because on Sept 13th or 14th, they said "HEY EVERYBODY, SEPT 17th!" until AT&T pulled the rug out from under them. On top of that, the build date was much earlier than Sept 17th, so they were 'testing' or otherwise sitting on an older build for reasons unbeknownst to anyone else, even the OEM that made the update.
The Following User Says Thank You to icase81 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift icase81 Ad-Free
28th November 2012, 02:26 PM |#483  
Flag Hillsborough
Thanks Meter: 14

More
Quote:

I think this just goes to prove yet again that AT&T customer service doesn't find out about anything until the update actually is released.
The bottom line is that AT&T won't allow the update to be certified until they are satisfied with the update, especially given the fact that it will end up on phones they are still selling. What it is they are concerned about testing, who knows. And while people on this community care about the source code and the updated functionality. The vast majority of people who bought their phones from AT&T do not.

It will be interesting to see which phones receive updates starting December 3 per Samsung Canada's announcement this morning https://twitter.com/SamsungMobileCA/...08404155629568, if the i747m is updated that day, then presumably the causes for further delay get harder to justify.

Exactly. Customer Care only knows that there is a JB coming, nothing more. From a company perspective, this is the norm. Re Canada getting the JB update doesn't mean a thing for U.S. users. Remember the Gingerbread update?
28th November 2012, 02:54 PM |#484  
Flag Dallas
Thanks Meter: 36

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by icase81

Its not the lack of patience. Its that 2 other major carriers (Sprint and T-Mobile) have already released their updates for THE SAME PHONE. On top of that, T-Mobile has even more customization than AT&T, what with the WiFi calling feature. Couple that with AT&T is much larger than Sprint and T-Mobile and the assumption that because of that, they should have more resources available to them and you get people questioning what is taking so long.

AT&T is notorious for taking much longer than other carriers to release updates. The Pantech Burst update was promised on Sept 17th, and from all accounts was READY on Sept 17th... but AT&T forced Pantech (for undisclosed reasons) to not release it for another week. Pantech ended up looking like the a-hole because on Sept 13th or 14th, they said "HEY EVERYBODY, SEPT 17th!" until AT&T pulled the rug out from under them. On top of that, the build date was much earlier than Sept 17th, so they were 'testing' or otherwise sitting on an older build for reasons unbeknownst to anyone else, even the OEM that made the update.

Yes - AT&T seems to take longer than others. I remember my Captivate taking a long time for updates to Gingerbread too (at least there we had many GB leaks).

But these aren't exactly the same phones. Different radios, and different software configurations, otherwise you would be able to install another ROM without the changes the cooks have to make. Integration testing can be a b****, and I would bet that it's pre-loaded software and testing network impacts that's a big contributor to the delay. Not to excuse that, or to say that it shouldn't be able to be done already, but I would be willing to bet that whatever project manager needs to sign off on release into the wild looks very heavily at those two elements.
28th November 2012, 03:09 PM |#485  
Flag Somewhere In Idaho
Thanks Meter: 133

More
Former Atrix user here. It could be worse still, ATT & Motorola announced the Atrix 4G ICS rollout would begin in late Q3 of this year. In the last two weeks of Sept they changed their minds and decided not to release anything at all. And that was for their flagship phone of 2011!

Yeah, ATT sucks when it comes to updates, but at least ATT isn't the red-headed stepchild with Samsung like it is with Motorola.
28th November 2012, 03:44 PM |#486  
Flag OC, Florida
Thanks Meter: 155

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewartsoda

Former Atrix user here. It could be worse still, ATT & Motorola announced the Atrix 4G ICS rollout would begin in late Q3 of this year. In the last two weeks of Sept they changed their minds and decided not to release anything at all. And that was for their flagship phone of 2011!

Yeah, ATT sucks when it comes to updates, but at least ATT isn't the red-headed stepchild with Samsung like it is with Motorola.

This would depend on the Samsung Device on AT&T! Samsung wifi tablets had ICS roll out 2-3 months ago, Samsung Tab 8.9 I957 on AT&T 4G is still waiting. Canada bell rolled it out a month ago. Skyrocket has been slow on the roll out of ICS and no idea when JB will come. AT&T has mainly an Apple mentality, I love AT&T other wise, just some very Slow Thinkers in Power.

Galaxy S4 comes out in January????? If so then S3 will be lucky to get much love from AT&T?
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I957 using xda premium
28th November 2012, 04:15 PM |#487  
Flag Somewhere In Idaho
Thanks Meter: 133

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALD3

This would depend on the Samsung Device on AT&T! Samsung wifi tablets had ICS roll out 2-3 months ago, Samsung Tab 8.9 I957 on AT&T 4G is still waiting. Canada bell rolled it out a month ago. Skyrocket has been slow on the roll out of ICS and no idea when JB will come. AT&T has mainly an Apple mentality, I love AT&T other wise, just some very Slow Thinkers in Power.

Galaxy S4 comes out in January????? If so then S3 will be lucky to get much love from AT&T?
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I957 using xda premium

I meant that EVERY Motorola phone on ATT is an orphan. Motorola loves Verizon and everyone else is an afterthought.
28th November 2012, 04:30 PM |#488  
Provo Area
Thanks Meter: 62

More
Quote:

Yes - AT&T seems to take longer than others. I remember my Captivate taking a long time for updates to Gingerbread too (at least there we had many GB leaks).

But these aren't exactly the same phones. Different radios, and different software configurations, otherwise you would be able to install another ROM without the changes the cooks have to make. Integration testing can be a b****, and I would bet that it's pre-loaded software and testing network impacts that's a big contributor to the delay. Not to excuse that, or to say that it shouldn't be able to be done already, but I would be willing to bet that whatever project manager needs to sign off on release into the wild looks very heavily at those two elements.

They are exactly the same phones, though. At least, the AT&T and T-Mobile versions are as identical as two phones can get. The differing radio firmwares are to tune the radio to your network. Even the iPhone has different radios depending on which carrier you are using, and radio updates could happen independent of OS updates if necessary. I'm pretty sure Tmo ROMs work fine without any changes on the AT&T GS3 as long as you manually change the APN settings.
28th November 2012, 05:03 PM |#489  
Nashville, TN
Thanks Meter: 64

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Brizz

They are exactly the same phones, though. At least, the AT&T and T-Mobile versions are as identical as two phones can get. The differing radio firmwares are to tune the radio to your network. Even the iPhone has different radios depending on which carrier you are using, and radio updates could happen independent of OS updates if necessary. I'm pretty sure Tmo ROMs work fine without any changes on the AT&T GS3 as long as you manually change the APN settings.

from what i've read, the physical radio itself is different on the phones...otherwise, we could get tmobile 3g on an ATT phone and vice versa.
28th November 2012, 05:27 PM |#490  
Flag Hillsborough
Thanks Meter: 14

More
I can't remember if someone posted this here or not, but the following is from the AT&T Community Forum.

PS: I got a DM on Twitter last night from @ATTTeamTrevor stating the same old, same old.

Community Manager
My Device: iPhone 4, Samsung Focus
Share on facebookShare on twitterShare on email
Re: Samsung Galaxy S3 Jelly Bean Update - When to Expect?
[ Edited ] .

. . ..
11-28-201211:21:22 AM - edited 11-28-201211:22:58 AM

Hey all...

We are aware that a Jellybean update for Samsung Galaxy III is available from Android and AT&T will have the update available for our customers in the very near future.

I can't speculate on dates but as soon as I have more info to share, I will update this thread. Thanks for your patience.

--------------
AT&T Community Manager
Awesome; like unicorns & cotton candy!
Follow me on Twitter - @ATT_Jam
Need additional help? Follow @attcustomercare on Twitter!

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions."
28th November 2012, 05:36 PM |#491  
Thanks Meter: 12,322

More
I'd say ATT might release something like I747UCDLK3 (JB 4.1.1) fairly soon. Lets see what the beginning of next week brings.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)