FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

**What phone should I buy next?** -- Not sure what device to buy? Ask here!

14,560 posts
Thanks Meter: 7,276

By KidCarter93, Retired Forum Moderator on 22nd August 2012, 12:26 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
6th August 2017, 08:35 PM |#10501  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Looking to upgrade from the xt1650 Verizon. I Am considering the Galaxy s8. What other Android should I consider?

Sent from my XT1650 using XDA-Developers Legacy app
7th August 2017, 08:25 AM |#10502  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Android tablets
Hello From Italy. I'm looking for a tablet. Been eyeing two: Asus Zenpad 3S 10, version z500m and nVidia Shield K1.

First of all, I have a budget of 370 euros ca.
So, I'm undecided. Stock android would be a plus, a notification LED as well, SD card is a welcome bonus. I'll use it for media consumption (TV shows, maybe movies, books, comic books and music), some games, and web browsing.

I'm not interesed in the LTE versions, WiFi is good enough. If I want networks outside, I could always tether it to my phone like I did with my old tablet.

As I've said, stock android, notification led and SD card would all be welcome bonuses.

As of now, I've been eyeing two models none of which have stock android as far as I know, nor a notification LED.

First is Asus Zenpad 3S 10 (the z500M version), second is nvidia shield K1.

Asus Zenpad seems like it has a mediatek cpu, which is one of my main concerns, as I don't know if they are worse than qualcomm CPUs or if they perform better. Also, it's Hexa-core (2x2.1 GHz & 4x1.7 GHz), which means that apps might not be optimized to make the most out of it.

Nvidia Shield K1 has Quad-core 2.2 GHz Cortex-A15, gsmarena reports also the GPU which it says it's a ULP GeForce Kepler (192 cores)

More problems I can find with both of them is that they both have a sub-300 pixel density (264 for Zenpad, 283 for Shield K1).

I am used to the 2013 Nexus 7 which had 323. I don't know if the difference would be very noticeable or not, especially because maybe the increased resolution helps.

Lastly, I was wondering if, since they both got Nougat, they can both use multiwindow. I think it might be kind of useful with the bigger screens.

I, of course, welcome any suggestion about any other tablet not listed above. I'm not sure about screensize. Part of me is interested in trying something bigger than my old Nexus 7, but having never tried a bigger tablet I'm unsure about the comfort of it. I'm also not fully sure about 4:3, but I usually am able to adapt to black bars.

Thanks!
7th August 2017, 04:31 PM |#10503  
Thanks Meter: 865

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarblindMark89

Hello From Italy. I'm looking for a tablet. Been eyeing two: Asus Zenpad 3S 10, version z500m and nVidia Shield K1.

First of all, I have a budget of 370 euros ca.
So, I'm undecided. Stock android would be a plus, a notification LED as well, SD card is a welcome bonus. I'll use it for media consumption (TV shows, maybe movies, books, comic books and music), some games, and web browsing.

I'm not interesed in the LTE versions, WiFi is good enough. If I want networks outside, I could always tether it to my phone like I did with my old tablet.

As I've said, stock android, notification led and SD card would all be welcome bonuses.

As of now, I've been eyeing two models none of which have stock android as far as I know, nor a notification LED.

First is Asus Zenpad 3S 10 (the z500M version), second is nvidia shield K1.

Asus Zenpad seems like it has a mediatek cpu, which is one of my main concerns, as I don't know if they are worse than qualcomm CPUs or if they perform better. Also, it's Hexa-core (2x2.1 GHz & 4x1.7 GHz), which means that apps might not be optimized to make the most out of it.

Nvidia Shield K1 has Quad-core 2.2 GHz Cortex-A15, gsmarena reports also the GPU which it says it's a ULP GeForce Kepler (192 cores)

More problems I can find with both of them is that they both have a sub-300 pixel density (264 for Zenpad, 283 for Shield K1).

I am used to the 2013 Nexus 7 which had 323. I don't know if the difference would be very noticeable or not, especially because maybe the increased resolution helps.

Lastly, I was wondering if, since they both got Nougat, they can both use multiwindow. I think it might be kind of useful with the bigger screens.

I, of course, welcome any suggestion about any other tablet not listed above. I'm not sure about screensize. Part of me is interested in trying something bigger than my old Nexus 7, but having never tried a bigger tablet I'm unsure about the comfort of it. I'm also not fully sure about 4:3, but I usually am able to adapt to black bars.

Thanks!

I have the shield K1 mate and it is a great tablet, don't worry about the pixel density the screen is plenty sharp enough and it's great for watching movies any other questions just let me know mate

Sent from my ASUS_Z012DA using Tapatalk
7th August 2017, 11:24 PM |#10504  

More
Hello,
I'm looking for a phone and do far I've set my eyes on a Samsung Galaxy A5 (2017).
As far as I know, the A5 fits well on most of the things, but it has that curved AMOLED screen and glass back, and potentially a bad camera.
So can you guys give me some recommendations on similar phones?

I don't like the curved screens, AMOLED screens, way too big screens, glass body builds and poor quality cameras. I'd add non-removable batteries as well, but apparently that eliminates all the options because that's the new trend.
I want fingerprint reader, preferably on the front, and maybe some notification light as well... Maybe...
I want it to be fast so 4 cores at least, but I'd prefer 8. Waterproof would also be nice but not entirely a necessity.
The camera must be decent and optical image stabilization would be nice. I'm not sure how bad or good it is on the A5, but I don't mind using another app if that's the problem.
I also want a decent battery and that is a must.
I liked the dual SIM, but I can live without it.

The only other phones I seem to find similar have AMOLED or their batteries are not enough. I find the htc m10 the best alternative but it's kind of pricey.
So, what do you guys recommend? Or would it be better to wait for a month or two?
8th August 2017, 05:50 AM |#10505  
Thanks Meter: 102

More
Looking for a new phone with 64 gig memory , nougat 7.1.2 or O, amoled screen, 5.5 inch screen.

Sent from my Lenovo A6000 using XDA-Developers Legacy app
9th August 2017, 11:53 AM |#10506  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Hello!
I am looking for a phone with these features. They are a must. Everything else is not important.
  • Android 7
  • Removable battery
  • back-cover with wireless charging (official or not). It must not use the USB port.
  • SD card expansion slot
The LG V20 is the closest phone that I have found to meet all the requirements (but the wireless charging).
Do you know any smartphone that would meet them all?
Thanks
9th August 2017, 04:29 PM |#10507  
Thanks Meter: 80

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastStarDust

Hello!
I am looking for a phone with these features. They are a must. Everything else is not important.
Android 7
Removable battery
back-cover with wireless charging (official or not). It must not use the USB port.
SD card expansion slot

The LG V20 is the closest phone that I have found to meet all the requirements (but the wireless charging).
Do you know any smartphone that would meet them all?
Thanks

If an old phone works for you, the Samsung s3 comes to mind.
Android 7 => official lineageos 14.1 works well enough. Lags when multi tasking
Removable battery => yes
Wireless charging => contacts exist, need to buy a wireless charging sticker to put inside the back cover.
SD card => microSD slot.
9th August 2017, 06:46 PM |#10508  
Flag kumbakonam, TamilNadu
Thanks Meter: 36

More
Planning to buy a new device after a long time. I need ur valuable suggestions.
My options are as follows....
1. Samsung S8 plus
2. HTC U11
3. LG G6
4. LG V30
5. Samsung note 8
6. Huawei p10 plus
7. Huawei mate 9 pro
8. Asus zenphone ar

Thank u.
9th August 2017, 08:12 PM |#10509  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by eriol1

If an old phone works for you, the Samsung s3 comes to mind.
Android 7 => official lineageos 14.1 works well enough. Lags when multi tasking
Removable battery => yes
Wireless charging => contacts exist, need to buy a wireless charging sticker to put inside the back cover.
SD card => microSD slot.

Thank you for your advice but I am looking for a new-ish phone. At least one that supports stock android 7.
10th August 2017, 12:05 AM |#10510  

More
14nm/1080p vs 28nm/720p - Which Will Use Less Power?
Need some advice here.

14nm/1080p vs 28nm/720p - Which Will Use Less Power?

Two phones, both same brand/model however two separate specs and I need the one that will draw the least battery as I use the phones screen on time for 8 straight hours a day (satnav) so the less battery draw the better. I do not care about anything else!

1) Snapdragon 625 - 14nm but 5.5" 1080p Screen
2) Snapdragon 435 - 28nm But 5.0" 720p Screen.

So the first phone has the newer 14nm CPU however has a bigger screen area (5.5") and Full HD.

However the second phone has a smaller screen area at 5.0" and is running less resolution @ 720 but has the older 28nm CPU which draws more power.

So which setup, in theory, would use less power?
10th August 2017, 11:02 AM |#10511  
Flag Village of Belin
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Hi guys, i'm from Italy and i'm looking for a new phone, after my LG V10 died (bootloop) Amazon refund the total amount spent (about 600 euros) last year.
i loved the V10, expecially it's DAC and camera, and now i have a Honor 8, bought "in emergency" the same day that V10 bootlooped.

Honor 8 is a good phone, good display, great camera (but no stabilization) and good performance, and it's dual sim, something that i really need right now.
But here in Italy Honor 8 doesn't support carrier aggregation, so no 4G+.... and it has only 32gb of mem.... i must use a SD card so i can't use dual sim capability.

i'm searching a new phone, dual sim + sd card if possible or dual sim + al least 128gb of mem. 4gb+ ram, camera MUST be good!
don't care about display dimension and resolution (better if it's amoled), and dimension of the phone, but if it's not too big is better.
don't care much about battery life, obiviously if it's good it's better it's more important if it's swappable.
don't really care of waterproofing and other stupid "IP" certifications. i care about my electronics devices, so they are always in safe conditions.

i was thinking of buy:
- LG V20 import version 4gb/64gb dual sim + sd card (DAC, great dual camera, second screen, swappable battery) 320 euros
- Honor 9 asian version 6gb/128gb dual sim hybrid (great all-round phone, good dual camera but no image stabilization) 450 euros
- One Plus 5 it version 8gb/128gb dual sim hybrid (top performer, amoled, great camera) 500 euros
- Samsung S8+ int. version G9550 6gb/128gb dual sim (great phone, great camera, great amoled display) 750 euros

my doubts:
- LG V20, Honor 9 and S8+ imported will have problem with OTA updates in Italy?
- i read about problems with S8+ display, with weird color... is that a common or rare problem?
- don't really like the stock version of android, so the One Plus may be the last choice...

any suggestions?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
device, new device, new phone, phone, tablet, what to buy, what to choose

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)