[Q] Moto G bricked! Please someone help me! Unable to mount/system partition

Search This thread

ritiks

Feb 18, 2014
Pune
I messed up my moto g while converting it to GPe. I can boot into CWM, but when i try to flash a ROM it tells unable to mount /system no such partition exists. Please someone help me!

ofaring

Aug 21, 2011
Same Here....

I second that. Just had this happen to me today as well. Still wading through the usual piles of useless, though well-meaning, posts and Google searches for an answer. Hoping someone will have a hint here.

---------- Post added at 07:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:51 PM ----------

I messed up my moto g while converting it to GPe. I can boot into CWM, but when i try to flash a ROM it tells unable to mount /system no such partition exists. Please someone help me!

Hey, I'm up and running again. I'm just doing a few tests and then I'll let you know my sequence after I've confirmed that it is actually working properly.

Reactions: ritiks

ofaring

Aug 21, 2011
OK, there are still some problems, such as why the OTA to Lollipop downloaded, then failed to install, and now has "vanished" (probably because I still had CWM installed), but the phone itself is working fine. That said, I just realised that I was assuming you're running an XT1032. My bad. Hopefully these instructions will point you in the right direction even if you're not.

For the purposes of anyone else reading this thread, I'm going to be fairly detailed. I'm also going to assume that fastboot and adb are installed and usable on your computer. If not, search the forum here for them. (Again, details you don't need, but just in case someone else needs them.)

Synopsis: Install the "Untouched" GPE 4.4.4 for the XT1032 from here.

More detail:

1. Reboot into Fastboot mode.
2. Download the attached Recovery image or another compatible one.
3. Flash the recovery using the Fastboot program:
Code:
fastboot flash recovery <your_chosen_recovery_image>
4. Open your newly installed recovery from the phone's fastboot screen.
5. If you've used a ClockworkMod recovery such as the one attached here, go to: "mounts and storage" ---> "mount /system". If the menu item just clicked changes to "unmount /system", proceed as follows. If it didn't, skip the next step and read further down.
6. Click "++++Go Back++++" and go to: "install zip" --> "install zip from sideload" and literally follow the instructions on the screen to push the above-mentioned GPE 4.4.4 ROM to your phone. After it's sent, the install will start automatically.

IF there's a problem...sigh. It was super-painful to get my phone back. I went through a series of failures, each one gradually getting me a little closer, but it was annoying. I would upload the files I used for you, but I live in the middle of nowhere, and my internet is expensive. I'll try to provide links.

My first success was going into the CWM's "Mounts and Storage" menu and formatting each of the partitions one by one.
Code:
format /system ... format /data ... etc.
Then I tried to mount each one successively. And it partially worked. (Keep in mind that this was after reading and trying piles of non-helpful advice, workthroughs, and deciding against complicated software solutions which may or may not have contained malware. So, I was kinda grasping at straws here.)

Next, I installed a Slim ROM (ver. 7.0) which I happened to have on my computer. I used the Sideload method in step 6 above. It actually got part way through the install before stopping at the boot image install and freezing there. A little bit more success! (And I can't tell you how happy I was about that - Mokee ROMs which I usually run had all failed immediately.)

Then, in frustration, I attempted a Fastboot install of stock TELUS 4.3, going through each of the steps in order, even when I knew they would fail (most did). Again, this was because it was already on my computer, and trying to install stock TELUS 4.4.2 did nothing. (Click the "stock" link.) That got me to a boot loop, which was further than anything else so far.

The boot loop encouraged me (see how frustrated I was!!), ;) so I decided to try installing the GPE 4.4.4 ROM using the steps I outlined above. BOOM! I finally had my freakin' phone back.

And dammit, I'm going to get Lollipop yet! LOL

Attachments

• recovery-clockwork-6.0.4.7-falcon.img
    7.7 MB · Views: 32

ritiks

Feb 18, 2014
Pune
OK, there are still some problems, such as why the OTA to Lollipop downloaded, then failed to install, and now has "vanished" (probably because I still had CWM installed), but the phone itself is working fine. That said, I just realised that I was assuming you're running an XT1032. My bad. Hopefully these instructions will point you in the right direction even if you're not.

For the purposes of anyone else reading this thread, I'm going to be fairly detailed. I'm also going to assume that fastboot and adb are installed and usable on your computer. If not, search the forum here for them. (Again, details you don't need, but just in case someone else needs them.)

More detail:

Code:
5. If you've used a ClockworkMod recovery such as the one attached here, go to: "mounts and storage" ---> "mount /system". If the menu item just clicked changes to "unmount /system", proceed as follows. If it didn't, skip the next step and read further down.
6. Click "++++Go Back++++" and go to: "install zip" --> "install zip from sideload" and literally follow the instructions on the screen to push the above-mentioned GPE 4.4.4 ROM to your phone. After it's sent, the install will start automatically.

IF there's a problem...sigh. It was super-painful to get my phone back. I went through a series of failures, each one gradually getting me a little closer, but it was annoying. I would upload the files I used for you, but I live in the middle of nowhere, and my internet is expensive. I'll try to provide links.

My first success was going into the CWM's "Mounts and Storage" menu and formatting each of the partitions one by one.
Code:
Then I tried to mount each one successively. And it partially worked. (Keep in mind that this was after reading and trying piles of non-helpful advice, workthroughs, and deciding against complicated software solutions which may or may not have contained malware. So, I was kinda grasping at straws here.)

Next, I installed a Slim ROM (ver. 7.0) which I happened to have on my computer. I used the Sideload method in step 6 above. It actually got part way through the install before stopping at the boot image install and freezing there. A little bit more success! (And I can't tell you how happy I was about that - Mokee ROMs which I usually run had all failed immediately.)

Then, in frustration, I attempted a Fastboot install of stock TELUS 4.3, going through each of the steps in order, even when I knew they would fail (most did). Again, this was because it was already on my computer, and trying to install stock TELUS 4.4.2 did nothing. (Click the "stock" link.) That got me to a boot loop, which was further than anything else so far.

The boot loop encouraged me (see how frustrated I was!!), ;) so I decided to try installing the GPE 4.4.4 ROM using the steps I outlined above. BOOM! I finally had my freakin' phone back.

I flashed some GPe ROM modded for XT1033, and my phone id back! But I am not able to get lollipop... So do you recommend me to install CM12?

Last edited:

ritiks

Feb 18, 2014
Pune
I flashed some modded GPe ROM for XT1033 which is not able to update to lollipop. Do you recommend me to flash CM12?

ofaring

Aug 21, 2011
I don't know about CM12. You could certainly try it, but I haven't yet because there are so many bugs still. After doing a bunch more reading, I've decided to wait until there's a more stable release of SlimLP, rather than going with stock Android GPE. Sorry I couldn't offer more advice.

Last edited:

BobDiaz

Dec 22, 2014
When it happened to me, like I've said in the other topic, I did the following:
Download and execute the .bat of this topic after installing the phone drivers.

http://xdaforums.com/moto...-0-to-t2969729

After this, my phone went to the GPE but it could not flash an stock rom. Than, I did this:

xdaforums.com/ moto-g/general/guide-moto-g-xt1033-android-5-0-lollipop-t2979623

Follow this steps exactly the way its written and it should work.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Same Here....

I second that. Just had this happen to me today as well. Still wading through the usual piles of useless, though well-meaning, posts and Google searches for an answer. Hoping someone will have a hint here.

---------- Post added at 07:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:51 PM ----------

Hey, I'm up and running again. I'm just doing a few tests and then I'll let you know my sequence after I've confirmed that it is actually working properly.

More detail:

Code:

Code:

I don't know about CM12. You could certainly try it, but I haven't yet because there are so many bugs still. After doing a bunch more reading, I've decided to wait until there's a more stable release of SlimLP, rather than going with stock Android GPE. Sorry I couldn't offer more advice.
    When it happened to me, like I've said in the other topic, I did the following:
    Download and execute the .bat of this topic after installing the phone drivers.

http://xdaforums.com/moto...-0-to-t2969729

After this, my phone went to the GPE but it could not flash an stock rom. Than, I did this:

xdaforums.com/ moto-g/general/guide-moto-g-xt1033-android-5-0-lollipop-t2979623

Follow this steps exactly the way its written and it should work.