Where to start when creating your own rom?

Search This thread

ResolutionHD

Mar 15, 2012
Well I think I've finally got the nerve to start customizing my own stuff for knowledge now that I know a little bit more about what I'm doing. Anyways I was wondering what tuts, programs, skills I should learn and could use? Anything you provide is helpful to me. Basically I wanna create a rom for my personal use only.

LiLChris06

Nov 23, 2011
XDA
Personally I started by modding a rom to my liking then started creating my own.

Task's deodexed AT&T leak is a good place to start.
Download it, extract it to your PC with 7zip then mess with the files and zip it back up.

If you want to start from scratch there is a ton of guides, just search for it.
Basically you download the firmware (.img file) extract it, deodex it, zip it up and see if it works then try modding it.

Reactions: Jambajews

ResolutionHD

Mar 15, 2012
Personally I started by modding a rom to my liking then started creating my own.

Download it, extract it to your PC with 7zip then mess with the files and zip it back up.

Basically you download the firmware (.img file) extract it, deodex it, zip it up and see if it works then try modding it.

Sounds pretty straightforward. Thanks!

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-6

votinh

Jul 6, 2011
Always want to create one own but shy away.
Under my mind, in order to create one, I must have vast knowledge of coding skills, especially Java, compiler such Eclipse, .....JRE. Can't handle that.
As for kernel stuff, C/Assembly language is a must. W/o it, just simply can't accomplish.

ResolutionHD

Mar 15, 2012
After your rough draft of a rom is created and your wanting to find bugs and errors, what ways do you guys use to go find and track these issues?

ResolutionHD

Mar 15, 2012
adb lolcat
or
adb logcat

terminal sessions become your best friend and your worst enemy

Thank you :D

Also i took a look at the Sh!trom guide and it was exactly what I needed to get started!

Whats the difference between i9100 and i777 when it comes to roms. I noticed in Entropys guide he used a rom from i9100.

Entropy512

Senior Recognized Developer
Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY
Thank you :D

Also i took a look at the Sh!trom guide and it was exactly what I needed to get started!

Whats the difference between i9100 and i777 when it comes to roms. I noticed in Entropys guide he used a rom from i9100.

I777 bases usually have AT&T mangling.

For ICS you only have leaks, for GB you have two choices, both of which had major bugs.

In my opinion, XWLA4 was the pinnacle of Gingerbread on the GSII.

trell959

Dec 20, 2010
California
I use dsixda's kitchen when I want to whip something up. I don't believe you can run it on windows though.

EDIT: Just checked, it also supports windows and Mac. Damn, it's been a while since I used windows.....or Mac :p

Sent from my SGH-I777 using xda premium

Last edited:

SeanHacker

Sep 7, 2010
Portland, Oregon

basically everything is wrong here considering you're using windows. yuck. :D

ResolutionHD

Mar 15, 2012
Im using Linux for this?

This is even more interesting than I thought! Hmm how would I go about themeing the recovery? Lmao I can't stand plain. I need it to feel custom.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.