Disable Google Play Services and Google Services Framework for better battery/privacy

Search This thread

zack.1988

Feb 3, 2014
I disabled Google Play Services and Google Services Framework on my Moto G, because I don't need them and the Play Store (I sideload all my apps from the pc).

But there's a big problem: if I disable even one of them, and try to enable the geolocation, it only uses the option "high precision" and, worse then that, it makes all the android framework crash and reboot if I try to open any geolocation-using app (like Google Maps or the camera with geo-ON). Any hint to solve this issue? I really want to get rid of these services, for battery and privacy reasons (in particular, battery improvements are really noticeable!).

UPDATE: I don't get this bug UNLESS I reboot the phone. If I do, I get this issue. If I don't, Maps still works even with these services disabled. I'd like anyway to solve this problem so I don't have to make laborious procedures everytime the phone reboot (I already have to kill 5 motorola processes, i.e. Motocare and Motorola Services ones).
I've attached a pair of screens to clarify my situation. I'm on the STOCK and NO-ROOTED rom.

Thank you very much in advance

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-04-01-10-49-47.png
    Screenshot_2014-04-01-10-49-47.png
    187.1 KB · Views: 1,122
  • Screenshot_2014-04-01-10-50-15.png
    Screenshot_2014-04-01-10-50-15.png
    225.7 KB · Views: 1,126
Last edited:

zack.1988

Feb 3, 2014
So you do need Google services? But don't want to need them, my advice flash stock android ROM without using G-apps

Sent from Sauwny the TL

No, I'm on the stock android and not need them. But if I disable them, and I reboot the phone, all the geolocating app I use make the system crash, that's a weird behaviour. To convince yourself, you can disable both the services, restart the phone, open Google Maps and press the location button.

If I don't reboot the phone, instead, Google Maps continues to work even with this two services disabled... that's what confuses me

Last edited:

AstroBoy89

Oct 16, 2012
Mansfield, TX
OnePlus 8T
No, I'm on the stock android and not need them. But if I disable them, and I reboot the phone, all the geolocating app I use make the system crash, that's a weird behaviour. To convince yourself, you can disable both the services, restart the phone, open Google Maps and press the location button.

If I don't reboot the phone, instead, Google Maps continues to work even with this two services disabled... that's what confuses me

Basically, you're going to have to root and flash your phone. You can't remove Google services on stock.

Sent from my XT1034 using Tapatalk

SamsungAdmire

Mar 6, 2012
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1715375
NO GAPPS PROJECT THREAD said:
I am one of those who do they everyday work without google stuff and without gapps. I found out several problems:

Some apps do not install because of missing Google Maps API
Some apps fc at startup bacause of missing Maps API or market license check issues
Some apps hardcoded links to several Google Apps and therefor fc or react unexpectedly on certain cases.
No access to Play Store (i tried nearly every alternative market, but nothing is as good for free apps as play store) Meanwhile, F-Droid provides nearly everything you need

this thread may interest your needs

Reactions: zack.1988

fermasia

Mar 25, 2013
Buenos Aires
Let me see if I get this right. You purchased a phone manufactured by Google, using a stock Rom compiled by Google, and you are trying to used Google software (Google Maps or Motorola Camera software- by Google) and you find it surprising that the system crashes after disabling Google's framework? And you are hoping to solve this without rooting or flashing a custom Rom? Seriously?

Sorry for the ironic tone, but you really need to give the idea of making a thread for this a second thought, my friend.

zack.1988

Feb 3, 2014
No problem for the ironic tone,but I can ensure you that I'm running Google Maps and (Motorola, not Google!) Camera App geotag WITHOUT having these two services enabled, and they work flawlessy :) the problem is ONLY when I REBOOT the phone, in which case I must enable and disable again these services in order to make apps with geolocation work without crashing the system. I will attach a screenshot of my running processes in the STOCK and NOROOT rom, and I ensure you that apart this small, boot-time issue, everything works great on my phone (with a great battery boost, I've been able to achieve 9 hours of screen time plus 1hr of calls, what do you think?).

I've about 50 apps installed, I just don't like Motorola and Google ones because they keep running about all the time, sucking out a lot of private data and battery juice

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-04-01-10-49-47.png
    Screenshot_2014-04-01-10-49-47.png
    187.1 KB · Views: 264
  • Screenshot_2014-04-01-10-50-15.png
    Screenshot_2014-04-01-10-50-15.png
    225.7 KB · Views: 261
Last edited:

James Randi

Feb 2, 2014
Netherlands
Well I am new to Android and also have/had problems using the moto g. I disabled all Google apps and stuff I could find and the OS is not really stable, I get quite a few hiccups and the phone crashes every now and then. I thought the nova launcher might be the problem, but I also suspect the OS in general.
But unlike you I don't use any Google stuff, so not even maps.

Well, I am selling the phone anyway.

zack.1988

Feb 3, 2014
No crashes here apart this Maps tweak, so it sound's really weird... maybed you disabled some critical services. On my device, with kitkat 4.4.2, ART compiler, everything is more than stable. You could try a factory reset or switching from Dalvik to ART too...

Last edited:

zack.1988

Feb 3, 2014
Sounds like a gigantic hassle. I don't think these services use much battery at all.

Before saying that, try and let me know :)
(as soon I will use it in a regoular way - I.e. not gaming and not browsing all the time - I'll post a screenshot proving the 9 hours of screen time, that I wasn't able to reach with Google services enabled)

Last edited:

quizmaniac

Jan 11, 2014
Ive had 9 hours screen time with google services enabled but that was just doing light stuff ,got 2.5 days out of my last battery charge but that was with only 5 hours screen time but mine is rooted and greenified now.

Cant think of a solution to your problem sorry,guess you will just have to avoid rebooting.

Reactions: zack.1988

n0ts0smart

Dec 2, 2014
This thread is over a year old and totally unrelated to your question. Searching the forums is my advice because you are pretty unlikely to find an answer to your question by posting in this particular thread

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1715375
    NO GAPPS PROJECT THREAD said:
    I am one of those who do they everyday work without google stuff and without gapps. I found out several problems:

Some apps do not install because of missing Google Maps API
    Some apps fc at startup bacause of missing Maps API or market license check issues
    Some apps hardcoded links to several Google Apps and therefor fc or react unexpectedly on certain cases.
    No access to Play Store (i tried nearly every alternative market, but nothing is as good for free apps as play store) Meanwhile, F-Droid provides nearly everything you need

this thread may interest your needs
    Ive had 9 hours screen time with google services enabled but that was just doing light stuff ,got 2.5 days out of my last battery charge but that was with only 5 hours screen time but mine is rooted and greenified now.

Cant think of a solution to your problem sorry,guess you will just have to avoid rebooting.