Need help with wifi tether on rooted stock Kitkat.

Search This thread

og style

Dec 25, 2007
I have a Sprint that is rooted & on kit Kat but I can't get any WiFi tether to work. I have tried different versions one modded one with all sorts of settings. Can someone please help me get it working.

Thanks

DSR_1106

Dec 27, 2012
Limerick
You could flash BadBoyz Kit Kat ROM and native tethering is "hacked" and works perfectly for me. I have NOT found any tethering app that is updated to work on Kit Kat, if you find one, please post..

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

og style

Dec 25, 2007
Thanks for the reply. I wanna stay with the stock Rom for now. I will let you know if I can get it to work.

Aldo101t

Mar 9, 2012
Pittsburgh
HTC U11
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Thanks for the reply. I wanna stay with the stock Rom for now. I will let you know if I can get it to work.

try this,

flash in recovery and then wipe cache and dalvic. don't know if it will work on stock rom, if it's rooted it should work

Attachments

• M7WLS_4.4.2_HotSpot_Hack.zip
    158.5 KB · Views: 273
Last edited:
Reactions: saxman126

kkc0123

Jul 26, 2011
I tried it and now, after my unlock screen, I get a black screen/grey box that says "this app is not compatible with your phone". How to restore my phone?

kkc0123

Jul 26, 2011
try this,

flash in recovery and then wipe cache and dalvic. don't know if it will work on stock rom, if it's rooted it should work

I tried this and now, after my unlock screen, I get a black screen/grey box that says "this app is not compatible with your phone". How to restore my phone?

Last edited:

Sabreslight

Jan 4, 2012
Dallas, TX

kkc0123

Jul 26, 2011
don't really know, I didn't make it, just passed it on, one of the devs made it. far as I know it's a script to by pass the native tether, I've used it on a number of roms with no problems, this is for sense roms.

I'm on stock 4.4.2 plus root. I was on Sense 6 but it looks like this script put me back to Sense 5.5. Maybe that's the problem?

kkc0123

Jul 26, 2011
No I don't think the script did that. I've used it in sense6. Didn't do that. I'm still using it on some roms

Seems like the "app" that's not working is the launcher. Everything else is fine. I just can't get to my apps except through a notification. Any idea whose script this is so I can ask for an antidote?
edit

Last edited:

indy1811

Jul 19, 2008
Bangalore
I have a Sprint that is rooted & on kit Kat but I can't get any WiFi tether to work. I have tried different versions one modded one with all sorts of settings. Can someone please help me get it working.

Thanks

Tried changing the ro.wifi.hotspotUI value in the build.prop file to 1? If it is set to 0, the hotspot option does not appear in the settings menu.

kkc0123

Jul 26, 2011
By god I can't remember now. It's in these forums somewhere.

So, in case anyone else has this issue, this is what I did to recover:
1) I had to wait for a notification to pop up that I had app updates waiting in the play store, then tapped on it to get into the store.
2) I downloaded another launcher--randomly chose Go Launcher. Installed this and had access to my apps again.
3) I tested the hot spot and it worked great. Must have been the changes made by the zip file you posted.
4) Like I said, the script had changed my Sense version back to 5.5, so I downloaded the HTC Blinkfeed launcher (Sense 6) from this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2696399 and ran it from TWRP
5) I now had my original launcher back, settings said Sense 6.0, but I had lost the ability to hot spot.
6) So, I reran your zip file, lost my HTC launcher, Sense again said 5.5, but using Go Launcher I had hot spotting back.

I'm keeping it this way for now, as I need hot spotting more that I want my HTC Launcher. Hope this is helpful to others. And I hope whomever wrote the script for unlocking the hotspot will eventually make it compatible with Sense 6 on stock/rooted phone.

Reactions: Aldo101t

Sevendust4Life

Jul 6, 2014
Same Issue here

1) I had to wait for a notification to pop up that I had app updates waiting in the play store, then tapped on it to get into the store.
2) I downloaded another launcher--randomly chose Go Launcher. Installed this and had access to my apps again.
3) I tested the hot spot and it worked great. Must have been the changes made by the zip file you posted.
4) Like I said, the script had changed my Sense version back to 5.5, so I downloaded the HTC Blinkfeed launcher (Sense 6) from this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2696399 and ran it from TWRP
5) I now had my original launcher back, settings said Sense 6.0, but I had lost the ability to hot spot.
6) So, I reran your zip file, lost my HTC launcher, Sense again said 5.5, but using Go Launcher I had hot spotting back.

I'm keeping it this way for now, as I need hot spotting more that I want my HTC Launcher. Hope this is helpful to others. And I hope whomever wrote the script for unlocking the hotspot will eventually make it compatible with Sense 6 on stock/rooted phone.

I'm in the same boat, and need the hotspot more than I need the blinkfeed, although I did get used to the blinkfeed. It will take some time to get used to the go launcher. My problem is that I can no longer use the "gallery" to view pics. Any ideas on what to do? I get the same error message with the black and grey box stating that this app is not compatible with my device.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

try this,

By god I can't remember now. It's in these forums somewhere.

Out of curiosity, would we be able to update the next OTA, or do we have to flash the next update? The reason I'm asking is because out of nowhere, I lost root access. I successfully rooted, and installed TWRP, and was using SuperSU. I had even used Titanium Backup at one point. When I went to install this 4.4.2 hotspot mod, I noticed that my device was no longer rooted. I could still access TWRP by entering into recovery to flash this mod, and my bootloader is still unlocked and shows "tampered". Any idea what might have caused me to lose root access? I did not update anything OTA.

Also, do you know a quick fix to get root back?

Flash this in TWRP.