[DEV][WIP] Jelly Bean / CM10.1 (4.2.2) Beta 1 - 3.1 kernel - Last Update 07.01.2014

Search This thread

spicyalan

Mar 17, 2011
Android 4.2.2 / Jelly Bean for Toshiba Folio 100

This is the current state of CyanogenMod 10.1 for the Toshiba Folio 100

It is an update from DerArtem's version. I call it Beta 1 (not because it is béta software, but I wanted to restart renumbering instead of calling it Alpha 3)

Added
- Overclock up to 1.6Ghz (tough 1.6 does not increase performance in bechmarks on top of 1.4Ghz) -> Max score in antutu between 11500 and 12500. Be careful, not all units can go up to 1.6Ghz.
- Reclaimed 15Mb from the HDMI buffer (a little bit more memory)
- Latest CM10.1
- some clock fixes (20121215) + SOD workaround for 1.6Ghz (20121220)
- enabled low mem patch in cm10.1 patch (20121220)
- deadline I/O scheduler (not by default, but can be enabled in developer mode) (20140107)
- some exernel libs were not compiled in (could fix huwei usb stick) (20140107)

What does not work
- Everything that didn't work in Derartem's Alpha 2
- HDMI (though this also didn't work on my Folio in Derartem's Alpha 2)

Also see Alpha 2 notes:
CM10.1 Alpha2

Installation:
Install the correct recovery using fastboot (3Xpower & Vol+, fastboot erase recovery, fastboot flash recovery recovery.img)
Copy everything on an SD card and install the ROM using the recovery (Power&Vol+, Vol+, Vol-, Vol+).

Important for everyone having the 4Gb /data partition:
You must do a full wipe and format "/data and /data/media (/sdcard)" before installing the ROM using CWM recovery. /data partition will then be 12Gb.

Notes (for anyone who want to try):
- Recovery didn't change, so you can probably use the Derartem's recovery
- You can try upgrade the ROM without wipe if your previous ROM was Derartems CM10.1 alpha 2 (just install it in recovery)

Download
Recovery
CM 10.1 installation file (zip) 20131215
CM 10.1 installation file (zip) 20131220
CM 10.1 installation file (zip) 20140107

Gapps:
Gapps non-neon

Source code
Kernel source

Credits:
DerArtem
Nopy
m32
guevor
The Cyanogenmod Team
The other Tegra Dev Teams where we have borrowed code (Adam, GTab, Vega, AC100, Acer Iconia, Xoom)

Last edited:

uc370

Sep 16, 2008
Have a problem.. 1'4 and perfomance does stop my folio.. and the tabletui zip wont install on this beta, trying to install the oc kernels but only get text!.. could you help me... i was waiting so long for a OC!. Thx!!

spicyalan

Mar 17, 2011
Have a problem.. 1'4 and perfomance does stop my folio.. and the tabletui zip wont install on this beta, trying to install the oc kernels but only get text!.. could you help me... i was waiting so long for a OC!. Thx!!

Can you tell me what you are trying to do?

The zip installer already has the newest kernel in there (max 1.6, but with lp0 sleep), so no need to install the kernels.

Does it stop immediately after selecting 1.4 ghz, or a bit after?
The performance governor keeps speed at max all the time. This will get the cpu overheated after some time. I would suggest the combination of 1.4 and interactive (= only run at 1400 up when needed)

Also a good tip: try lagFix (fstrim) from the play store. It runs fstrim on the ssd.

I'll check the links of the kernels

m32

Jul 10, 2007
Szczecin

The zip installer already has the newest kernel in there (max 1.6, but with lp0 sleep), so no need to install the kernels.

The performance governor keeps speed at max all the time. This will get the cpu overheated after some time. I would suggest the combination of 1.4 and interactive (= only run at 1400 up when needed)

Also a good tip: try lagFix (fstrim) from the play store. It runs fstrim on the ssd.

google in its repositories for tegra kernel has the same problem, currently they work on LP2 :) - so we are not alone.
Hav You access to other device with tegra 2 chip ? I have xoom 2, but it isnt mine - from my custommer, so bricking it :) is a bad idea

Reactions: varda

spicyalan

Mar 17, 2011
google in its repositories for tegra kernel has the same problem, currently they work on LP2 :) - so we are not alone.
Hav You access to other device with tegra 2 chip ? I have xoom 2, but it isnt mine - from my custommer, so bricking it :) is a bad idea

As far as I know, there is almost no tegra 2 device completely without sod (see forums, even the galaxy R has problems). Some version are better than others, and some stock roms are good in hiding it.

I have access to a sony tablet with a tegra 2. But it is not a developer friendly device.
It has quite a big batterry, and judging from how it sleeps: it does not go into sleep mode and keeps wifi on (loosing 30% battery in 8 hours of sleep). Compared to the battery size of the folio (which drains 80% in 8 hours with wifi lock, but has a smaller and worn battery), it means the sony tablet does not sleep at all and just disables the screen.

uc370

Sep 16, 2008

Im trying all combinations.. A2 with kernels and B1 alone.. Finally links ok.
B1 witn 1,4 freezes after 10-20 seconds of use at 1400.. Interactive works better than ondemand..

Does anyone hace problems With google play?.. it gives error upgrading or downloading

Last edited:

spicyalan

Mar 17, 2011
B1 witn 1,4 freezes after 10-20 seconds of use at 1400.. Interactive works better than ondemand..

Does anyone hace problems With google play?.. it gives error upgrading or downloading

Not all Tegra2's are created equal, so some might respond better or worse on overclocks.
V1 has quite some agressive overvolting, so doesn't overclock well. All after (including the kernel in B1) have lower voltages.
There is now a V4 kernel with work towards the SOD issue and some small adjustments in the overclocking at 1.4 and 1.6 Ghz.

I don't have an issue with google play. Did you install the non-neon google apps (linked on both A2 an B1)?

Reactions: m32 and uc370

uc370

Sep 16, 2008
So good!... no freezes.. overclocked to 1400. Smooth and fast!!

Thx!!!! New tablet again? With B2

Reactions: Jospo84

m32

Jul 10, 2007
Szczecin

Cool - same result 1400 without freeze at boot and while working, previous rom just stopt at cm-boot icon, next one at 1.4 just makes some artefacts - but this one just works.
Big thanks :)

---------- Post added at 10:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:42 PM ----------

As far as I know, there is almost no tegra 2 device completely without sod (see forums, even the galaxy R has problems). Some version are better than others, and some stock roms are good in hiding it.

I have access to a sony tablet with a tegra 2. But it is not a developer friendly device.
It has quite a big batterry, and judging from how it sleeps: it does not go into sleep mode and keeps wifi on (loosing 30% battery in 8 hours of sleep). Compared to the battery size of the folio (which drains 80% in 8 hours with wifi lock, but has a smaller and worn battery), it means the sony tablet does not sleep at all and just disables the screen.

:( soo bad soo good - this time we are very happy :) which one documentation and where did You found ? I'm very interested :) Yours patches give my folio second life - :)

---------- Post added at 10:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:49 PM ----------

It is an update from DerArtem's version. I call it Beta 1 (not because it is béta software, but I wanted to restart renumbering instead of calling it Alpha 3)

Added
- Overclock up to 1.6Ghz (tough 1.6 does not increase performance in bechmarks on top of 1.4Ghz) -> Max score in antutu between 11500 and 12500
- Latest CM10.1
- some clock fixes (20121215)

What does not work
- HDMI (tough this also didn't work on my Folio in Derartem's Alpha 2)

Also see Alpha 2 notes:
CM10.1 Alpha2

Installation:
Install the correct recovery using fastboot (3Xpower & Vol+, fastboot erase recovery, fastboot flash recovery recovery.img)
Copy everything on an SD card and install the ROM using the recovery (Power&Vol+, Vol+, Vol-, Vol+).

You must do a full wipe and format "/data and /data/media (/sdcard)" before installing the ROM using CWM recovery. /data partition will then be 12Gb.

- You can try upgrade the ROM without wipe if your previous ROM was Derartems CM10.1 alpha 2 (just install it in recovery)

Download
Recovery
CM 10.1 installation file (zip)
CM 10.1 installation file (zip) with newer kernel

Gapps:
Gapps non-neon

Source code
Kernel source

Credits:
DerArtem
Nopy
m32
guevor
The Cyanogenmod Team
The other Tegra Dev Teams where we have borrowed code (Adam, GTab, Vega, AC100, Acer Iconia, Xoom)

:) :) :) 1.6 the problem was sleep mode at minimal speed - now I'm waiting for sleep mode - SOD
:p after few minutes of sleep(power down from start menu) only reset helps

Last edited:
Reactions: varda and kkolas

spicyalan

Mar 17, 2011
:( soo bad soo good - this time we are very happy :) which one documentation and where did You found ? I'm very interested :) Yours patches give my folio second life - :)

---------- Post added at 10:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:49 PM ----------

:) :) :) 1.6 the problem was sleep mode at minimal speed - now I'm waiting for sleep mode - SOD

I have used this post and did the changes on top of the latest DerArtem release (source is available). For the missing information (e.g. voltage table and correct values) I looked at the Xoom and Acer sources (though these had to be adjusted later on, but they were better starting points than taking random values)

1.6ghz works fine on my unit (even in heavy 3D gaming), except for the resume SOD at this speed.
I'm currently testing a workaround (nothing fancy. Just limiting to 1Ghz when screen goes off, and restore original max after screen is turned on). It seems to work fine.

There is still no fix for the "generic" SOD some have reported on all speeds.
Something has to be different, but we don't know what. I've been trying to generate an SOD my folio the whole evening (and this morning) and resulting in having only one SOD on my Nexus 7 (2012) :silly::rolleyes:

everyone that wants to help with the SOD investigation, please visit this post:
Last edited:
Reactions: varda

miro_mad

Sep 13, 2007
Hi everyone.
I have a problem with connection to my Folio 100 in fastboot mode.
When I write fastboot devices appear just this: K fastboot
I think, that must be some numbers or something else, but not just a letter!!!
And when I write fastboot erase recovery, then appear this: FAILED <command write failed <No such file or directory>>
Can someone explain what I can do now?

spicyalan

Mar 17, 2011
Hi everyone.
I have a problem with connection to my Folio 100 in fastboot mode.
When I write fastboot devices appear just this: K fastboot
I think, that must be some numbers or something else, but not just a letter!!!
And when I write fastboot erase recovery, then appear this: FAILED <command write failed <No such file or directory>>
Can someone explain what I can do now?

No idea... Is this linux or windows?
Where did you get fastboot from (download source)?
What is the output of the command "fastboot devices"?

spicyalan

Mar 17, 2011
I have placed an update online.

- V6 kernel (SOD workaround on 1.6 Ghz overclock)
- Cyanogenmod low memory patch for dalvik: I'm not sure how much difference this will make. (My folio feels faster/smoother, but it could be a placebo effect...).

Can be installed on top of an existing CM10.1 without data loss (CWM, install zip. You might need to reinstall gapps-nonneon too)

Reactions: keq

miro_mad

Sep 13, 2007
No idea... Is this linux or windows?
Where did you get fastboot from (download source)?
What is the output of the command "fastboot devices"?

Windows 7 x86.
I've download fastboot from here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1941183
Output of the command "fastboot devices" is K fastboot.
I've tried with different fastboot files, but always output is the same!
When I try with "adb devices", then I got the numbers of my device, but in fastboot just K.

spicyalan

Mar 17, 2011
Windows 7 x86.
I've download fastboot from here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1941183
Output of the command "fastboot devices" is K fastboot.
I've tried with different fastboot files, but always output is the same!
When I try with "adb devices", then I got the numbers of my device, but in fastboot just K.

Weird,

I have adb and fastboot running on linux (the easiest way), but I also have fastboot on an X64 Windows 7 laptop for quick test-flashing. Here I just installed the Google Android SDK (and worked out-of-the-box), as long as I don't connect it when the Folio is "on" (if it is on, it will mount its files to the windows laptop, but fastboot won't work after that anymore).

spicyalan

Mar 17, 2011
All, I have some good an bad news

I have been trying to get kitkat running on the Folio 100.

Good News:
- Got it to compile and generate images.
- Got recovery working (it can install kitkat images. Due to SELINUX I got into some size issues, but got that resolved

Bad News:
- after install, it stays running on the boot animation. Any idea how to check why this happens (ADB will not work in this stage, I think)?

Other bad news:
- The battery of my folio is completely busted (the thing will only run on charger now). Only battery I found on aliexpress was €40.. which is too expensive for an old crappy tablet with a cracked screen.
Linked good news:
- As it is not useful anymore, it can be used exclusively for testing....

EnergyUK

Dec 28, 2011
Lincoln
I'm a bit stuck.

Recovery works (it needs a new version with Selinux), but Rom stays stuck on boot animation (and no way to debug...)

Not done any android rom development, but isn't there a log output at least?
Also wasn't there some quite vital parts to the folio that KitKat dropped support for?

Would love to see this working though. Good luck!

spicyalan

Mar 17, 2011
Not done any android rom development, but isn't there a log output at least?
Also wasn't there some quite vital parts to the folio that KitKat dropped support for?

Would love to see this working though. Good luck!

The xoom guys also got kitkat running.. so it is possible.
(And they use the old 2.6 kernel)
Gapps might be troublesome, but some versions with neon stuff ripped out are popping up.

Adb won't work unless it can boot (and not easy to access any log on the filesystem).

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Added
    - Overclock up to 1.6Ghz (tough 1.6 does not increase performance in bechmarks on top of 1.4Ghz) -> Max score in antutu between 11500 and 12500. Be careful, not all units can go up to 1.6Ghz.
    - Latest CM10.1
    - some clock fixes (20121215) + SOD workaround for 1.6Ghz (20121220)
    - enabled low mem patch in cm10.1 patch (20121220)
    - deadline I/O scheduler (not by default, but can be enabled in developer mode) (20140107)
    - some exernel libs were not compiled in (could fix huwei usb stick) (20140107)

What does not work
    - HDMI (though this also didn't work on my Folio in Derartem's Alpha 2)

Also see Alpha 2 notes:
    CM10.1 Alpha2

Installation:

Download
    Recovery
    CM 10.1 installation file (zip) 20131215
    CM 10.1 installation file (zip) 20131220
    CM 10.1 installation file (zip) 20140107

Gapps:
    Gapps non-neon

Source code
    Kernel source

Credits:
    DerArtem
    Nopy
    m32
    guevor
    The Cyanogenmod Team
    All, I have some good an bad news

I have been trying to get kitkat running on the Folio 100.

Good News:
    - Got it to compile and generate images.
    - Got recovery working (it can install kitkat images. Due to SELINUX I got into some size issues, but got that resolved

Bad News:
    - after install, it stays running on the boot animation. Any idea how to check why this happens (ADB will not work in this stage, I think)?

Other bad news:
    - The battery of my folio is completely busted (the thing will only run on charger now). Only battery I found on aliexpress was €40.. which is too expensive for an old crappy tablet with a cracked screen.
    Linked good news:
    - As it is not useful anymore, it can be used exclusively for testing....

Not all Tegra2's are created equal, so some might respond better or worse on overclocks.
    V1 has quite some agressive overvolting, so doesn't overclock well. All after (including the kernel in B1) have lower voltages.
    There is now a V4 kernel with work towards the SOD issue and some small adjustments in the overclocking at 1.4 and 1.6 Ghz.

I don't have an issue with google play. Did you install the non-neon google apps (linked on both A2 an B1)?

Cool - same result 1400 without freeze at boot and while working, previous rom just stopt at cm-boot icon, next one at 1.4 just makes some artefacts - but this one just works.
    Big thanks :)

---------- Post added at 10:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:42 PM ----------

Added
    - Overclock up to 1.6Ghz (tough 1.6 does not increase performance in bechmarks on top of 1.4Ghz) -> Max score in antutu between 11500 and 12500
    - Latest CM10.1
    - some clock fixes (20121215)

What does not work
    - HDMI (tough this also didn't work on my Folio in Derartem's Alpha 2)

Also see Alpha 2 notes:
    CM10.1 Alpha2

Installation:

Download
    Recovery
    CM 10.1 installation file (zip)
    CM 10.1 installation file (zip) with newer kernel

Gapps:
    Gapps non-neon

Source code
    Kernel source

Credits:
    DerArtem
    Nopy
    m32
    guevor
    The Cyanogenmod Team

First of all, big thanks to spycialan for continuing the work on our Folio.

I have installed 20131222 version and it works well, I almost always get a SOD when going back from sleep, but I also had it with DerArtem's 4.2.2. What bugs me is I have some weird problem with storage. I didn't notice it until I tried to update to 20140107. I copied the .zip to the internal /sdcard, booted CWM recovery and noticed the .zip was not there. Then I booted CM10.1 again, and noticed I only have the 4 GiB internal partition, and the external SD card, I miss the remaining internal SD storage. It looks like CM10.1 mounts a partition as /sdcard, and CWM recovery mounts other different partition as /sdcard. The partition CWM is mounting has the files of my previous CM install in it, and cannot be seen from inside CM10.1...

I'm trying to fix it right now, but I don't know if I will be able to do it (as dunno why CWM recovery refuses to mount external SD card, and I cannot copy the .zip file to the internal /sdcard visible by CWM). Any suggestions are welcome!

Did you try inserting the external sdcard before booting?

Also, from within CM10.1, do you also have a 4Gib data partition? (check settings -> Storage). If yes, then do a format "/data and /data/media (/sdcard)" from within CWM.