[Q] General questions regarding the 2014 Galaxy Note 10.1 model

Search This thread
Feb 6, 2014
Hello,

Hope all is well with everyone!

I was wondering if anyone could provide some insight on the new 2014 Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1. I am very interested in purchasing it, but I keep reading that there is an extremely large amount of lag associated with the device's performance, and that games do not run very well on it at all. Can anyone confirm if this is true or not? I am sure there have been updates made to the firmware since these reviews were written so I was just hoping to get a current users take on it. The device is quite expensive and I definitely would want a top performer for the money.

Thanks so much for your help!

Geordie Affy

Oct 21, 2013
Newcastle Upon Tyne
I honestly dont mean this in a mean way but flick through these XDA pages in "General" and "Q&A" threads and you will get an avalanche of answers. Trust me going through those thrrads is miles better than giving you a reply with a few words esp considering its an expensive device.

But if you do want a simple answer then all I can say is I have played a few high graphic games and they ran smoothly and the tablet itself is pretty rapid. I am on stock so know it can be faster if I root but honestly more than happy with the performance of this thing.

Sent from Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition via Tapatalk.

EliteMover79

Dec 4, 2013
The multiwindow is amazing. Some may call it a gimmick but it is really cool.

Sent from my SM-P600 using XDA Premium HD app

GalaxyNotesTx

Jan 25, 2014
This tablet is awesome ...I'm rooted and running different launchers and removed all the bloat ...Very fast and beautiful screen!......Don't hesitate!

Sent from my SM-P600 using xda app-developers app

Feb 6, 2014
Hello,

Thanks to all for your replies! Has everyone rooted the device? I am a little hesitant to do that because if something should go wrong, they can indeed refuse to warranty your device. I would definitely be getting rid of touchwiz tho - its really bad. Even my Galaxy S4 lagged terribly with it and when I went to Nova Launcher, problem solved! I just know ill def be playing some graphic intensive games on it too so was wondering if the good game performance was also achieved without rooting the device

Thanks again all for your help and suggestions - it is most appreciated!

abdielol

Oct 12, 2010
Puerto Rico
I'm just going to say that if you're coming from another high end device, you're going to feel some lag. I just got the tablet and at least for me, I feel robbed. I just paid $500 for laggy software and I've had 3 random crashes in 2 days of use.

Other than those issues, the SPen features are amazing and saying that the display is pretty is an understatement. It's really an amazing display.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Feb 6, 2014
I'm just going to say that if you're coming from another high end device, you're going to feel some lag. I just got the tablet and at least for me, I feel robbed. I just paid $500 for laggy software and I've had 3 random crashes in 2 days of use.

Other than those issues, the SPen features are amazing and saying that the display is pretty is an understatement. It's really an amazing display.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Heh - that's what I am hearing/reading a lot of and which is making me so hesitant. The device itself has great specs and should perform amazingly, but as we know, a device is also only as good as it's software and many people are saying the stock ROM/software is very buggy and laggy and does exactly what you are saying. While changing the launcher to NOVA does take care of most of the scrolling lag (fixed the same problem on my S4 like this), it still doesn't address the lag and issues of games. I don't want to have to root the device and risk voiding my warranty to get the performance I should be able to expect out of the box for a $500+ device. As far as the SPen, it doesn't really matter to me either way.

If you just bought it and it's still doing the same things as people have been reporting for months, that means Samsung hasn't put much effort into fixing it and probably don't have many plans to do so either if it's been this long with no resolution :(

Thanks very much for your input!!!!!!

kkretch

Jan 1, 2013
near Pittsburgh
Heh - that's what I am hearing/reading a lot of and which is making me so hesitant. The device itself has great specs and should perform amazingly, but as we know, a device is also only as good as it's software and many people are saying the stock ROM/software is very buggy and laggy and does exactly what you are saying. While changing the launcher to NOVA does take care of most of the scrolling lag (fixed the same problem on my S4 like this), it still doesn't address the lag and issues of games. I don't want to have to root the device and risk voiding my warranty to get the performance I should be able to expect out of the box for a $500+ device. As far as the SPen, it doesn't really matter to me either way.

If you just bought it and it's still doing the same things as people have been reporting for months, that means Samsung hasn't put much effort into fixing it and probably don't have many plans to do so either if it's been this long with no resolution :(

Thanks very much for your input!!!!!!

I got my SM-P600 32gb about a month ago and mine has never crashed, my experience with the tablet has been good but I'm not a power user, I don't have numerous home screens full of widgets, I don't have every option turned on like zoom tilt, smart stay, smart pause, smart scroll or any of the hand motion features.

I would say that this video from "TheDigitalDigest" is a fair representation of my experience, at the 9:30 mark it demonstrates the lag that some are complaining about. Both video's are worth watching.

This video also shows some lag at the 18:10 mark.

Last edited:

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington

Compared to high-end S-800 phones with 5"ish displays, yes, the N10.1-14's transitions occasionally aren't as smooth. Compared to other high-end Android tablets, what in your view is faster? Multi View and S Pen have a ton of open processes constantly running in the background anticipating their use. So if you want "fast" strip out all the N10.1-14's features and run AOSP/AOKP on it. Personally, the sole reason I bought the N10.1-14 was because of its productivity features and what I can do with it that you can't do on any other tablet so if I have to put up with some transition lag so be it. As for "crashes" I've got 144 apps, 9 full time syncs, and 21 widgets running and have never experienced a crash, FC, or any other type of OS anomaly since October. I take that back. Initially I was using the Trip Advisor wallpaper on the lock screen and it would cause TW to reboot every other day. Once I stopped using it everything was fine.

Heh - that's what I am hearing/reading a lot of and which is making me so hesitant. The device itself has great specs and should perform amazingly, but as we know, a device is also only as good as it's software and many people are saying the stock ROM/software is very buggy and laggy and does exactly what you are saying.

95% of the time, and 100% of the time within a single app, there's no lag. When a bunch of stuff is going in the background you'll occasionally get a millisecond long stutter in a transition or app opening/closing. You'll also get the occasional "spinning wheel" when doing something resource intensive like capturing a full screen of content from a third party app via Air Command and moving it to Scrap Booker. I'm not even on the latest ROM (I'm on MJ4) because I have a 3G N10.1-14 and people in the U.S. have said MJ9 improved fluidity more than what I'm experiencing. There are aspects of the UI that are "odd" because a phone UI on a 10" display is a bit bizarre having nothing to do with specific h/w or s/w. But, again, I've had no OS, UI, or app issues since October so the s/w is definitely not "buggy." And I have additional radios, antennas, and s/w being 3G that add even more burden to the s/w and h/w.

Here's a vid of my N10.1-14 moving through home screens. My N3 on an official KitKat build that's running the same 144 apps is next to it for comparison. At the end I pinch zoom to display all the home pages. That is without question the worst lag you'll ever see on the N10.1-14. And it's 10 times worse than the millisecond long stutter you'll occasionally see in transitions.

If people are experiencing worse than that or constant lag I'd suggest they look at the apps they have installed, their configuration/settings, and what apps/processes they have removed/frozen/turned off. The latter is especially significant because as nested and inter-dependent as all Samsung's add-on s/w has become it's easy to disable something another app's dependent on and not know it. For example, disabling My Magazine on a device causes huge battery drain on the Galaxy Gear and issues with Gear Manager even though there's no logical reason one should be affected by the other. I'm running bone stock, have every gimmick Samsung's s/w provides turned on, am using an earlier less fluid ROM than some, and have an enormous amount of apps, syncs, and widgets running. I'm a prime candidate for "lag" and don't experience any 95% of the time. So if someone's experiencing worse than I am I'd suggest they examine what they've done to their device.

P.S. - Being 3G, my N10.1-14 is always connected to the Internet so whenever I turn it on it's always sync'd. Since most here have Wi-Fi versions here's something I've noticed. When I turn my N10.1-14 on for the first time, like after getting off a plane, and it connects to the Internet for the first time it can be painfully slow (and laggy) for as long as 15 minutes while every app and process that needs Internet access updates itself. I'd guess the same thing would happen with a Wi-Fi N10.1-14 even if it was left on but re-connected to the Internet after being offline. So there's "lag" and "situational lag." Both my N3 and N10.1-14 are the slowest devices I've ever owned when it comes to being fully usable after a reboot or going online after being offline.

abdielol

Oct 12, 2010
Puerto Rico
I got my SM-P600 32gb about a month ago and mine has never crashed, my experience with the tablet has been good but I'm not a power user, I don't have numerous home screens full of widgets, I don't have every option turned on like zoom tilt, smart stay, smart pause, smart scroll or any of the hand motion features.

I would say that this video from "TheDigitalDigest" is a fair representation of my experience, at the 9:30 mark it demonstrates the lag that some are complaining about. Both video's are worth watching.

This video also shows some lag at the 18:10 mark.

I don't have any widgets , not even the stock Samsung ones. I also don't have much apps, nor any of the cumbersome SView or Motion controls on. I thought rooting and installing CleanRom would help and it really did, to some extent, but there is still some noticeable lag which, in my opinion, is unacceptable. As for the crashes, I don't know if I got a faulty unit since this is just day 3 of owning it. Maybe I'll return it and get another one, it may help with my lag too.

Compared to high-end S-800 phones with 5"ish displays, yes, the N10.1-14's transitions occasionally aren't as smooth. Compared to other high-end Android tablets, what in your view is faster? Multi View and S Pen have a ton of open processes constantly running in the background anticipating their use. So if you want "fast" strip out all the N10.1-14's features and run AOSP/AOKP on it. Personally, the sole reason I bought the N10.1-14 was because of its productivity features and what I can do with it that you can't do on any other tablet so if I have to put up with some transition lag so be it. As for "crashes" I've got 144 apps, 9 full time syncs, and 21 widgets running and have never experienced a crash, FC, or any other type of OS anomaly since October. I take that back. Initially I was using the Trip Advisor wallpaper on the lock screen and it would cause TW to reboot every other day. Once I stopped using it everything was fine.

On my sister's Nexus 10, for example, I notice Much smoother transitions and I've never had it crash. I hate how even with empty home screens, there is noticeable slowness (sometimes) while changing home screens or opening the app drawer. I'm still skeptical about the crashes though, since I'm the only one getting them (it seems), so maybe it's just mine. I'll return it and get another one, so I can report back and see if these issues are somewhat fixed. Still, I feel bad that I spend so much on this and it feels slow compared to a more than a year old Nexus 10 with a much slower processor. I already removed all of the bloat, except the SPen stuff, because that was my main point for getting this tablet.

Last edited:

kkretch

Jan 1, 2013
near Pittsburgh
If people are experiencing worse than that or constant lag I'd suggest they look at the apps they have installed, their configuration/settings, and what apps/processes they have removed/frozen/turned off.

I totally agree.

Complainers seldom admit that they made mods to the device or that they have 10 screens with 50 widgets all running at the same time, they don't admit that they installed pirated software that may or may not contain viruses or that they installed an APK that was ported from an Asus tablet because they like the way the widget looks on another brand device.

To those people it's always the device and never the user.

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
On my sister's Nexus 10, for example, I notice Much smoother transitions and I've never had it crash.

There's a ton of discussion about N10's lagging. Friends have them and I've used them and the more crap that's installed on them the more they too suffer from transition stutter. The more crap that's going on in the background the greater chance there is that there's going to be some type of drag or delay in the interface. And it's not about performance because the stuff we're talking about that lags is probably using a single-core of the CPU and a small chunk of RAM. And on a Nexus device you can't even blame it on TW.

While you and Sis may not have experienced lag on the N10 others have...

kkretch

Jan 1, 2013
near Pittsburgh
I don't have any widgets , not even the stock Samsung ones. I also don't have much apps, nor any of the cumbersome SView or Motion controls on. I thought rooting and installing CleanRom would help and it really did, to some extent, but there is still some noticeable lag which, in my opinion, is unacceptable. As for the crashes, I don't know if I got a faulty unit since this is just day 3 of owning it. Maybe I'll return it and get another one, it may help with my lag too.

On my sister's Nexus 10, for example, I notice Much smoother transitions and I've never had it crash. I hate how even with empty home screens, there is noticeable slowness (sometimes) while changing home screens or opening the app drawer. I'm still skeptical about the crashes though, since I'm the only one getting them (it seems), so maybe it's just mine. I'll return it and get another one, so I can report back and see if these issues are somewhat fixed. Still, I feel bad that I spend so much on this and it feels slow compared to a more than a year old Nexus 10 with a much slower processor. I already removed all of the bloat, except the SPen stuff, because that was my main point for getting this tablet.

You could have a defective unit..... Any chance that you could upload a video to show us what you are experiencing?

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
I had the Nexus 10 before my Note 2014. I like the Nexus 10 but the Note 2014 is blazing fast compared to the Nexus 10. The Nexus 10 was definitely laggy and my Note 2014 has been very smooth.

There wasn't really a GPU available when the N10 was released that was capable of handling a 2,560x1,600 display. Mali 604 was at its max thresholds and it showed.

The Mali 628 in the Exynos N10.1-14's is about 4 times more powerful.

abdielol

Oct 12, 2010
Puerto Rico
I totally agree.

Complainers seldom admit that they made mods to the device or that they have 10 screens with 50 widgets all running at the same time, they don't admit that they installed pirated software that may or may not contain viruses or that they installed an APK that was ported from an Asus tablet because they like the way the widget looks on another brand device.

To those people it's always the device and never the user.

I've uploaded some screenshots
of my home screen and apps just for your pleasure. ALL of my apps I bought them on the play store, none of them are pirated. I am not a dumb android user that doesn't know how to handle his tablet. It's my device, not the user. Thanks for your input though!

There's a ton of discussion about N10's lagging. Friends have them and I've used them and the more crap that's installed on them the more they too suffer from transition stutter. The more crap that's going on in the background the greater chance there is that there's going to be some type of drag or delay in the interface. And it's not about performance because the stuff we're talking about that lags is probably using a single-core of the CPU and a small chunk of RAM. And on a Nexus device you can't even blame it on TW.

While you and Sis may not have experienced lag on the N10 others have...

I'm just telling you what I notice. If I factory reset both tablets right now, i KNOW that the nexus 10 would feel buttery smooth while my note 10 would still feel laggy. Even dragging apps around the home screen felt laggy here. Understand my frustration, i just paid premium price for something that could be a lot better in terms of speed. I'm just telling things from MY experience with both tablets, and my experience with the OLD nexus 10 felt smooth compared to my experience here. You believe whatever you want.

You could have a defective unit..... Any chance that you could upload a video to show us what you are experiencing?

It's just lagginess all around and the crashes aren't really predictable. I'm not going to be able to upload a video since I'm going to flash this to stock as soon as I get home so I can return it at best buy and get another one. My unit may be defective.

Did you start noticing it when you got the tablet? Why didnt you exchange it? You probably got a lemon one.

It was on a sealed box. I noticed when I opened it at home. It's just been 3 days since I got it. I'm returning it today and I'll report back.

Thanks to the ones of you that can see beyond fanboyism. Some take it so personal the minute you say the device feels laggy, feeling like you've insulted them personally or something. I'll report back when I get a new one.

ajy4ezu8.jpg
4ynuqeza.jpg
nyva6ezy.jpg
ugere6ag.jpg

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

C2Q

Dec 10, 2011
Well this is my experience so far.

I've had this thing since November. Not rooted, not debloated. I have a couple of widgets etc and using Nova launcher. Nothing out of the ordinary. Running that taiwanese firmware which is the latest one supposedly. Anyway, 95% of the time in my experience, I don't notice any lag whatsoever. Even with multiwindow where I've been reading a pdf on the first half and using papyrus on the second half to take notes, no lag. This thing is a beast and the battery life is pretty good. If I could root without losing warranty, it would be perfect.

One day I hope CM11 comes to this thing because it's already blazing fast, and I would love to have CM11 to make it as close to stock as possible.

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
If I factory reset both tablets right now, i KNOW that the nexus 10 would feel buttery smooth while my note 10 would still feel laggy.

I'd guess the Nexus would be smoother after a reset. The pinch zooming of home screens on the N10.1-14 isn't any faster whether it's factory fresh or with a ton of widgets (in my experience). I don't think the N10.1-14 is performing to the full capabilities of its h/w and think interim updates that would have helped were stopped to focus on the upcoming 4.4/M-UX update. But having said that there's a big difference between that and inferring it's a laggy mess as a couple of people here have tried to do. So you're saying that based on your experience you're hugely disappointed with the lag you're experiencing. I'm saying that 95% of the time with the exception being some transition lag (especially when a lot of background processes are going on) my N10.1-14 doesn't lag. Since neither of us can see what the other's talking about you can lose the righteous indignation because me and a couple of people here are posting experiences that may be different than yours.

Thanks to the ones of you that can see beyond fanboyism. Some take it so personal the minute you say the device feels laggy, feeling like you've insulted them personally or something. I'll report back when I get a new one.

This isn't about you. People should buy what makes them happy and if you're not happy by all means return your N10.1-14 and get something that does make you happy. But you, one person sharing one experience, can lead to this...

Heh - that's what I am hearing/reading a lot of and which is making me so hesitant. The device itself has great specs and should perform amazingly, but as we know, a device is also only as good as it's software and many people are saying the stock ROM/software is very buggy and laggy and does exactly what you are saying.

You're entitled to your opinion but if the people that disagree with you are "fanboys" does that make you and others with a different opinion "haters?" I don't personally think so and think that the (constructive) sharing of differing opinions and experiences are healthy. Everyone here's a big boy or girl and don't need you or me to tell them how to draw conclusions and weed through posts. I post counterpoint to comments like yours sometimes to give people perspective; and whenever possible pics or videos to back up what I'm sharing. I could personally care less what people here do individually (after all, there's over 4M) and whether or not they buy a product I own or are pleased with my comments. But I've been thanked a lot so I must be doing something to help people.

Feb 6, 2014
I'd guess the Nexus would be smoother after a reset. The pinch zooming of home screens on the N10.1-14 isn't any faster whether it's factory fresh or with a ton of widgets (in my experience). I don't think the N10.1-14 is performing to the full capabilities of its h/w and think interim updates that would have helped were stopped to focus on the upcoming 4.4/M-UX update. But having said that there's a big difference between that and inferring it's a laggy mess as a couple of people here have tried to do. So you're saying that based on your experience you're hugely disappointed with the lag you're experiencing. I'm saying that 95% of the time with the exception being some transition lag (especially when a lot of background processes are going on) my N10.1-14 doesn't lag. Since neither of us can see what the other's talking about you can lose the righteous indignation because me and a couple of people here are posting experiences that may be different than yours.

This isn't about you. People should buy what makes them happy and if you're not happy by all means return your N10.1-14 and get something that does make you happy. But you, one person sharing one experience, can lead to this...

You're entitled to your opinion but if the people that disagree with you are "fanboys" does that make you and others with a different opinion "haters?" I don't personally think so and think that the (constructive) sharing of differing opinions and experiences are healthy. Everyone here's a big boy or girl and don't need you or me to tell them how to draw conclusions and weed through posts. I post counterpoint to comments like yours sometimes to give people perspective; and whenever possible pics or videos to back up what I'm sharing. I could personally care less what people here do individually (after all, there's over 4M) and whether or not they buy a product I own or are pleased with my comments. But I've been thanked a lot so I must be doing something to help people.

I'm not sure how I got involved in the middle of this - I have had nothing good or bad personally to say about the device. I am just sharing what I've read from consumer/tech reviewers. I just worry because just as many people are saying that it is laggy as not. I understand there are different factors for this, but I am not super tech saavy with tablets either and just want a good experience right out of the box. While screen transition being slightly laggy isnt much of a big deal to me, what is this going to translate into when I play games, or do resource intense functions? I just don't want to spend $550.00 on something I am not going to be happy with. I also don't want to have to root anything to reach it's full potential because there goes my warranty.

Last edited: