HTC Media Link HD quick review

Search This thread

KU07BA

Sep 24, 2010
dice player

Can someone please try Media Link with DICE Player and some full HD video?

VTEChump

Oct 20, 2011
Minneapolis
Unfortunate that it requires a wifi network. I thought it could use peer to peer if no network was available (I.e. wifi direct). This would be very handy in the car and hotels when traveling.

Trev186

Jul 16, 2010
I guess. unless its all about hardware like a special chip but I doubt it. but yeah its possible I think :S

Any of you guys with an alternative android phone or tablet willing to try it out ? All u have to do is make a titanium backup on your htc phone and then restore a copy of that backup on your non htc phone and try and connect.

Since it is restricted to wifi only im assuming it is just streaming via wifi so no fancy restrictions

If it works ill buy this thing in a heartbeat :)

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

tandfeen

Oct 25, 2010
Any of you guys with an alternative android phone or tablet willing to try it out ? All u have to do is make a titanium backup on your htc phone and then restore a copy of that backup on your non htc phone and try and connect.

Since it is restricted to wifi only im assuming it is just streaming via wifi so no fancy restrictions

If it works ill buy this thing in a heartbeat :)

Im planning to try with my galaxy tab 10.1.
I really want it to work. Will post my results if no-one beats me to it. (My media link hasn't arrived yet)

Sent from my HTC One X using XDA

shanghei

Oct 21, 2008
Really disappointed about the WIFI thing, would hooking up regular mhl to phone work for mirroring?

repllccax

Oct 29, 2010
hey guys,

could someone provide us a close-up of the (compressed?) HD video output on your LCDs, please? just to get an impression of how good/bad the quality is.

i'm a bit confused, cuz i didn't suppose a phone is able to compress a fullhd video in real-time... :rolleyes:

if so, maybe the phone automatically reduces/enhances the compression level depending on your wifi quality, AI you know :D just an idea :)

---------- Post added at 09:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:08 PM ----------

Really disappointed about the WIFI thing, would hooking up regular mhl to phone work for mirroring?

of course it would.

a wired connection is always better and faster than a wireless one! ;)

azazin

Jun 16, 2010
Im planning to try with my galaxy tab 10.1.
I really want it to work. Will post my results if no-one beats me to it. (My media link hasn't arrived yet)

Sent from my HTC One X using XDA

Doesn't work, I tried backing up the Media Link HD application with titanium backup and then transferred and restored it on a Galaxy Nexus, when I restored it not only did the application not show up in the application list but when I tried to open it manually (finding the APK in the root directory) it said htc.wifi.media *or something along those lines* activity not found, it won't start up.

Reactions: repllccax

repllccax

Oct 29, 2010
@shanghei

got it. of course it would be pretty cool, but therefore your phone has to setup your tv as an extended desktop - but it won't.. cuz MHL is just mirroring - that's y media link hd, i guess :)

Trev186

Jul 16, 2010
Doesn't work, I tried backing up the Media Link HD application with titanium backup and then transferred and restored it on a Galaxy Nexus, when I restored it not only did the application not show up in the application list but when I tried to open it manually (finding the APK in the root directory) it said htc.wifi.media *or something along those lines* activity not found, it won't start up.

Sounds like it needs some items from sense architetcure...

I wish samsung would make a similiar accessory

Oh well ....

sebbo90

May 10, 2009
One thing I can't get to work os playing videos. I have tried mkvs avis, both of which play fine on the phone using gallery but when sent to the tv they say wrong format. Any ideas?

Sent from my HTC One X using xda premium

pyrotecha

Jul 25, 2010
If anyone is interested in picking one up, I just got one from this site. It totaled to $68.48 shipped (with coupon code that is good until May 16th I think).

(can't post link yet, but go to puremobile[dot]com and search for the media link)

llewelld

Jan 24, 2011
Display resolution

Hi guys,

is the Medialink HD 720 same as phone.

Would be great IMO if either via MHL or medialink hd that the output could be 1080p.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The medialink HD arrived this morning, as it was a free gift courtesy of phones4u. I played around with it for 2 hours, and this is what I think:

It was incredibly easy to set up and use, it even came with a stand so you can stick it on top of your HDTV. So that is a nice little bonus!
    The actual product itself is MUCH smaller than I thought it would be, I thought it would be at least the size of the One X, but no, it's pretty damn small!

One thing I noticed, is that when playing an intense game like Blood and glory, it stutters for the for 2 minutes of gameplay, then it seems to run like a hot knife through butter, I found this was the same with web browsing too!

HD content and games overall look amazing, HTC actually got something right first time for once! I really recommend this product to ANYONE with a One X! Any questions more than welcome of course :)
    I have noticed when using the on-board video player, pressing the power button it still streams to the media link hd, which is good as you want to turn the screen off on the HOX anyway.... If I do the same with a third party one like BS Player it will cut off. Am on the 1.28 rom still.... Also picture quality was better through the HOX video player than BS player.
    Anyone get there media link to update. Everytime mines try, it times out and says try again later.
    I bought a second one to make sure the 1st one wasn't defective and now the second one won't update neither.

1st one says on the main screen: VERSION 1.57.789.0
    while trying to update from phone it says: Current Version M2.5.57

2nd one says on the main screen: VERSION 1.56.789.0
    while trying to update from phone it says: Current Version M2.5.56

If anyone has gotten it to update can you please post the current version

---------- Post added at 12:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:08 AM ----------

Anyone get there media link to update. Everytime mines try, it times out and says try again later.
    I bought a second one to make sure the 1st one wasn't defective and now the second one won't update neither.

1st one says on the main screen: VERSION 1.57.789.0
    while trying to update from phone it says: Current Version M2.5.57

2nd one says on the main screen: VERSION 1.56.789.0
    while trying to update from phone it says: Current Version M2.5.56

If anyone has gotten it to update can you please post the current version

Been working on getting this thing to update for 3 days. And today I went out and bought the second one. Well after 991 tries, it updated just now.

now the 1st one says on the main TV screen: VERSION: 1.71.103.0
    and on the phone it says: Current Version M2.5.71

One other noticeable difference is after the update, you will see the "wifi" symbol on your tv at the media link HD's main screen. I've done lots of research and I've noticed that on most of the youtube videos that were released after this years MWC everyone had this wifi signal shown where's mine didn't.

(to anyone wondering, I restarted my phone (EVO LTE) and resetted the media link HD. I also turned off the security password on my wireless router. Don't know what happen this time, cause i did all that several times before, with no such luck. But anyways, I guess I can return the 2nd one now) :0)

FYI I even wrote a email to HTC expressing my dislike for how the Media Link HD worked. Everything has to work thru the phone? Why not connect it to the router and then any HTC One (or similiar) in the network could connect faster. Hopefully they update this thing and get the many bugs out.

I was 2 seconds from giving them both of our (my wifes and mines) EVO LTE back and going with the SIII. Thats blasphemous for us, as much as we've supported HTC since it's UT Starcom days.
    Jep, works well on OrDroid 7.1.0 too.

Anyone figured out how to send video stream to MediaLink from PC? Is it possible?

Yes, Right click on your media file and there would an option of "Play To". You can select any DMR available on your network- HTC Media link should be one of them. Till the time you can see HTC Media Link as one of DMR in your "PC Network", you can play the content on TV through Media link.

Good luck
    I got mine today, I *was* pleased with it right up until I came to watch a film from HTC Watch, a rented film.

I can play all other media, mirror the display but it just would not stream a rented film.

I phoned HTC only to be told that it will stream if you've purchased the film but not if it's rented!!! Utter balls.

If I wanted to do that, i'd buy the DVD proper and rip it and watch it rights free on any device I own, not take up fixed space on the phone or have to keep downloading it over and over. I thought the whole point of HDMI was to preserve the DRM so are they saying that they've screwed it up and can't protect a rented film?

Nowhere in the documentation, sales site or HTC site does it place this restriction on the use of the device.

I quite like the HTC watch film library, particulary the 5p weekend specials but this ridiculous undocumented limitation is a major step back as I had hoped to avoid using the MHI cable.