ROM with HW accel? VEGAn7.1 wont run my mpeg4's

Search This thread

shoboy22

Apr 21, 2012
I used the latest VEGAn-ge-7.1.0 for the 1.2 bootloader on my gTab with CWM the other day. First time ever flashing a rom and everything went great! The problem I'm having is that the built-in video player in VEGAn will no longer play my mpeg4 movies/TV shows. With the stock ROM on the gTab I never had any problems with the built-in videoplayer OR mVideoplayer. They both worked just fine. Once I flashed VEGAn my movies wont work.

I can only assume it has something to do with hardware acceleration.?.?.?.? I have over 5tb worth of movies and tv shows already ripped from my collection, I will NOT re-encode anything at this point!:)

99% of what I use my gTablet for is watching movies while I'm at work(I'm on call with lots of down time) I would love to use a better ROM then the crappy TnT stuff Viewsonic shipped this thing with. But I cant NOT be able to play my mpeg4 movie files.

Is there a good ROM that will let my mpeg4's work like the stock ROM does? I dont care about any fancy features or anything in the ROM, I only watch movies on this thing and play the occasional game. But if I had a better ROM I'm sure I'd use this thing for more then what I do now.

My mpeg4 encode settings used in DVDFab are as follows:
848x480 resolution
3000kbps fixed bitrate(less then this movies can get pixelated)
128bit DolbyPrologic2 audio
FastEncoding 1 pass

These are the best settings for mpeg4's that I have found while testing out various settings when I bought the gTab. From the looks of the settings could it be that I need HW accel video playback instead of SW?

DaggerDave

Jan 18, 2011
Any of the Froyo based roms such as Beastly-Clemsyn (my favorite, very fast and stable), Frankentab, BC, etc all have working hardware acceleration, as does the new ICS beta. You are probably right about the hardware accel. being the problem, this is the same reason I always end up back on a Froyo rom. I have encoded a lot of video that I stream from my main PC, and there is almost always skips, freezes or audio sync problems on roms w/o hardware acceleration.

You can also try on your current rom, MXPlayer and Mobo Player have versions that are optimized for ARM v7 (Gtablet). In the players settings, change from hardware to software video and audio decoding. Most of my videos play alright with MXPlayer on software decoding using CM7, which doesn't have hardware acceleration.

Last, you could try Qloud Media, if you have a pretty fast PC. Qloud will re-encode and stream your video from the PC, optimized for the target device. It works very well on every device I have tried it on, and can even work beyond your network, but it consumes my entire 4 CPU cores in bursts of a few seconds while it is re-encoding, so no intense PC usage while it is running.

Reactions: shoboy22

shoboy22

Apr 21, 2012
Thank you! I'll try and stick with the Froyo based ROM's. I've DL'd quite a few different ROM's but I have yet to install any of them other then the latest VEGAn one.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Any of the Froyo based roms such as Beastly-Clemsyn (my favorite, very fast and stable), Frankentab, BC, etc all have working hardware acceleration, as does the new ICS beta. You are probably right about the hardware accel. being the problem, this is the same reason I always end up back on a Froyo rom. I have encoded a lot of video that I stream from my main PC, and there is almost always skips, freezes or audio sync problems on roms w/o hardware acceleration.

You can also try on your current rom, MXPlayer and Mobo Player have versions that are optimized for ARM v7 (Gtablet). In the players settings, change from hardware to software video and audio decoding. Most of my videos play alright with MXPlayer on software decoding using CM7, which doesn't have hardware acceleration.

Last, you could try Qloud Media, if you have a pretty fast PC. Qloud will re-encode and stream your video from the PC, optimized for the target device. It works very well on every device I have tried it on, and can even work beyond your network, but it consumes my entire 4 CPU cores in bursts of a few seconds while it is re-encoding, so no intense PC usage while it is running.