KINO [Kin Opensource-FileManager]

Search This thread

johnkussack

Aug 17, 2010
If any of you have been *gifted* by a verizon pass-to-kin contact operation, please download the temporal xml file used and pass it to me (clear private data), cause it triggers what you called "import contacts button enabled"

I got it just uploading a random xml, but.. you know... format isn't what was expected.

Last edited:

awesome71717

Apr 11, 2011
I just want to confirm that the 64-bit version works without a hitch. This is great!

For other people: I installed the drivers using computer management (with the update drivers from a directory option...)

johnkussack

Aug 17, 2010
I just want to confirm that the 64-bit version works without a hitch. This is great!
Thanks, 64 bits was on the air for me, but as some of you posted about it, i just set the compile flag for one and the other.

There are some known issues, but their behaviour is unknown atm.

I'm glad to confirm (through random testing, rofl) that the kino exe works "as is"(literally) if you open it on a Linux machine.

You only need mono (c# implementation for linux) and the libusb installed. I found it slower than Kino in windows, and very much slower than my c++ tests, but it has a cooler interface for users.. hahaha.

Also, after 1 paainful hour, i was able to compile usb1.0 and random requirements, so KinO ended working in Mac OSX (Snow leopard).

So... KinO is the only Kin related program that is multiplatform by now ... Well, like if there were a lot of kin programs though.. haha!!

I updated the first post with new requirements & screenshots ;).

Marcellus1

Apr 8, 2011
Tried out KinO on VM running Vista Business 32-bit. Worked great. Thanks JohnKussack!

Last edited:

klamation

Apr 28, 2011
Nokia Lumia 820
Nokia Lumia 920
I found my Win XP (32-bit, Pro, SP3) machine was lacking .NET 1.1, so after installing it, I was able to get KINO to work.

I've retrieved my contact numbers from the phone, and replaced all phone numbers with 8885551212, along with changing all the names to Boba Fett.

I found something slightly curious about the way the KIN handles this file: my old phone had a single contact with multiple mobile numbers, which showed up in the file, but when the KIN imported them, it only imported one of those numbers. So this file might cause problems if you try importing it.

I also noticed the exported file was just contacts_export (no extension). There are no linebreaks in it, which I don't think matters to an XML parser. If you rename this file to have a .xml at the end, you might be able to import it back in?

Anyway, the file is here: www.kyleandelin.com/KIN/cellebrite.contacts.xml - I would suggest removing all duplicate entries, only have one contact and one or two phone numbers, and put it in the root of the phone's storage.

johnkussack

Aug 17, 2010
I also noticed the exported file was just contacts_export (no extension). There are no linebreaks in it, which I don't think matters to an XML parser. If you rename this file to have a .xml at the end, you might be able to import it back in?
I should ask... does "contacts_export" has the same data than the original one?
I am pretty much "rofling" about how storage memory has no secrets anymore (or a few only).

Looking briefly at your uploaded xml, i can see why my test xml:
Code:
<contacts>
<contact></contact>
</contacts>
Ringed a bell..... lol.

I will CB my phone, as i think that i'm the only one who can "afford" that data losing operation. Then, i will do contacts for me, like Yoda hahaha.

What i'm afraid if what happens in loading one wrongly written test.xml moves it to a cache, where we can't read and doesnt matter if we reupload (if kin ignores it). I guess that it's supposed to be OK cause it comes from a good source (cellebrite UFED machine, for example) which wouldnt make it wrong in the first case.

Btw, when i examined my logs (feature from kintwoM only) i saw that some logs showed errors related to import contacts with parse errors stopping the procedure. ALSO, connections failed to the cloud server, so i wanna express that KinTwoM may be keep calling home, without response, of course. My bet is that the log issue was implemented in case of Loop removal going nuts.

My suspiction is increased when "PROGRAMNITT" instructions were written on the "Other" submenu of the ... well the PROGRAMNITT menu... how do you get there in first place to read the info?... lame

klamation

Apr 28, 2011
Nokia Lumia 820
Nokia Lumia 920
I should ask... does "contacts_export" has the same data than the original one?
Checking the format of the contacts_export file, it's basically in the following structure (I broke up the lines to make it easier to read the XML structure):
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?><XMLContactList xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" xmlns="http://pme.microsoft.com/contacts/contactimport"><Contacts>
<Contact>
 <FirstName>Boba</FirstName>
 <LastName>Fett</LastName>
 <PhoneNumbers>
  <PhoneNumber PhoneType="mobile">8885551212</PhoneNumber>
  <PhoneNumber PhoneType="business1">8885551100</PhoneNumber>
 </PhoneNumbers>
</Contact>
</Contacts></XMLContactList>

I do wonder what xmlns="http://pme.microsoft.com/contacts/contactimport" should have, as that link is not valid.

The header of the cellebrite.contacts.xml file is the same:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<XMLContactList xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" xmlns="http://pme.microsoft.com/contacts/contactimport">

Reviewing my own contact files, I only have the PhoneType tags of "mobile", "business1", "home1", and "company", which match up the types of numbers I have stored. I haven't played with the other phone number types (home2, work2, home fax, work fax, assistant, pager, car, and radio) but would assume the tags for them are similar to their names in the KIN UI.

I will CB my phone, as i think that i'm the only one who can "afford" that data losing operation. Then, i will do contacts for me, like Yoda hahaha.

What i'm afraid if what happens in loading one wrongly written test.xml moves it to a cache, where we can't read and doesnt matter if we reupload (if kin ignores it). I guess that it's supposed to be OK cause it comes from a good source (cellebrite UFED machine, for example) which wouldnt make it wrong in the first case.

My guess is, as long as you have the valid structure in the XML, and a valid name (I wonder if it just needs to be *contacts*.xml in the root folder, or specifically cellebrite.contacts.xml to import?) it should be okay. Thanks for being willing to test. I have over 200 contacts, and although I assume I can easily import them again, I'd rather not risk it.

Btw, when i examined my logs (feature from kintwoM only) i saw that some logs showed errors related to import contacts with parse errors stopping the procedure. ALSO, connections failed to the cloud server, so i wanna express that KinTwoM may be keep calling home, without response, of course. My bet is that the log issue was implemented in case of Loop removal going nuts.

My suspiction is increased when "PROGRAMNITT" instructions were written on the "Other" submenu of the ... well the PROGRAMNITT menu... how do you get there in first place to read the info?... lame
Yeah, I tried reviewing the logs but they weren't the easiest to parse due to the extra characters (unicode?) in them. I'm glad you've had a look at them!

johnkussack

Aug 17, 2010
215 contacts to be exact. now i have 215 boba fett in my kin.

I uploaded both cont.xml, containing another structure (bigger) with Joda and the cellebrite one.

Contact menu showed nothing.

After rebooting, it showed things ok, and i imported and exported 215 contacts. They were added to the kin. No joda appears. Kino cant stablish a good connection (error on the kin?)

Unfortunately, my kin sometimes did hang at the young-and-happy-boring-boot images (black screen after it) and i have to remove the battery to reset it.
Because of the above i do not recommend to do this yet.

Also, i upgraded logging to 6, and logging buffer to huge size.. so thay may affect too.. and that things... rofl.

BTW: now i have a (8MB log with some more good contents)... interesting... very interesting... It will tell me what i touched importing crappy data... hehehehe.

Last edited:

klamation

Apr 28, 2011
Nokia Lumia 820
Nokia Lumia 920
So you imported the cellebrite contact file and they were properly added to the KIN? Cool. So even if I reset mine to factory defaults (or better yet, to the original TWO code), I can still re-add my contacts. I'll probably want to test exporting and reimporting contacts, including modifying existing ones (if you got 215 Boba Fetts then you probably can't update, only insert new) or importing a single contact in an XML, to see if it adds it back in.

johnkussack

Aug 17, 2010
So you imported the cellebrite contact file and they were properly added to the KIN? Cool. So even if I reset mine to factory defaults (or better yet, to the original TWO code), I can still re-add my contacts. I'll probably want to test exporting and reimporting contacts, including modifying existing ones (if you got 215 Boba Fetts then you probably can't update, only insert new) or importing a single contact in an XML, to see if it adds it back in.
Well, i got it working, but do several backups just in case.

KinLogs said:
[Shell] AsyncListBase(0):UpdateCurrentItemPosition. keyitem=01-00-00-00-01-00-03-00-27-00-00-00 Boba Fett

What i wonder now is:
*all files uploaded as binary*

Uploaded a Xml using kino ---> No Import option
Uploaded Cellebrite using kino ---> No import option
Uploaded text.txt using ftp download ---> No import option
*rebooting*
Import option OK

Means that when loading, files (binary type) are processed by the kin?

I tested renaming a Zune exe(from Visual studio) to mp4 and as an exe itself. Zune says it can be played (ok) and nothing happens.
I tested uploading a GBA emulator (wince), also rebooting and nothing happens.

I think now....
What if we upload a Silverlight APP for mobile? It should never happen from user space, cause zune doesnt allow it... And logs show that silverlight is used.

They also say that our apps are App0 to App11 by default rofl.

Last edited:

klamation

Apr 28, 2011
Nokia Lumia 820
Nokia Lumia 920
My understanding is the UI on the KIN runs Silverlight. I'm not familiar with creating a Silverlight App, or how it would work on a mobile device. Of course, if we can figure out how to get anything to execute, it's worth a try. Maybe a silverlight interface to run in the browser could work? I don't fully know its capabilities.

johnkussack

Aug 17, 2010
Nah, i meant sample file with helloworld, compile in visual studio for windows phone, and upload with kino.

Then.. rebooting and checking for logs if nothing happens.... I'm having a peek on the ones after putting a wince at storage file. :D.

Anyway.. meh, just long shot ideas. If any app can be launched, we can achieve storage or other capabilities, i guess :D.

Kinuser1

Apr 4, 2011
Okay so I exported my contacts from my old KIN to my computer, named the file contacts.cellebrite.xml. Uploaded to phone, rebooted, and clicked the import button. ITS TAKING FOREVER
Do the numbers in the file have to bespaced out

johnkussack

Aug 17, 2010
took a long time for me anyway. ps: remember that i said that it was unstable and not tested with real contacts, as i dont have any.

That's a problem when you dont use the Kin to as a phone per se.

Anyway as you didnt make the ftp thing, i supose, it confirms my idea of kin (at least PROGRAMNITT) parses the files from the storage at booting. This idea also gets a bit of strength from the fact of theme changing requiring reboot (kinda pffffffff imo).

So, if it parses other files (maybe apps), there's a hole in the system.. if not... we are just stuck at what kino does, use kin as a usb memory.

Or other's hacking success, i meant.

EDIT: a sylverlight app didnt work (oh surprise huh!)

Last edited:

johnkussack

Aug 17, 2010
i'm getting a bit tired of getting things ready to test (to 'hack') and then failing, so i guess that i will just keep upgrading kino for bugfixes and improvements whenever i got free time.

I plan to pass mp3 and mp4 through special dlls before upload to recover their inner tags, so they are not based on filename. Also, i want to order the filenames by... name, despite the order that kin gives now (like kin0.0.1 shows).

I dunno if i should recode it in the inner part, as it's becaming a bit complex, before releasing the sourcecode for interested people.

btw, i would pay for removal /change of the ****ing splash of weirdo guys and gals... pi**es me a little.. dunno why.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi there!

As i said on a thread (bit long time ago), i had the intention of making an opensource file manager for the kin.

So i have been working on for two days, and i'm reserving this thread for its releases and descriptions.

It will be given as donationware, which means that you can take it for free and donate if you wish (or not to... )

SECURITY DISCLAIMER
    - As you can imagine, by using this tool you have not guaranteed the operational state with your device and is provided "as is". You are the only responsable on the effects if could have on your device, even though i tested locally all the options for hours. Like you do for 3rd party non-certified software.

- DO NOT, i repeat DO NOT unplug the device nor close the program while writing or reading from the device. Errors states are unknown and you may scr3w up your flash memory.

do-not-unplug-29.jpg

- If during the usage, it takes long, WAIT for the transmission to end. Errors are handled by the program and in the last cases there are 2 to 3 levels of error treatment, notificating you in the info box and storing a brief description on the "error.log" file when it's ultra. (I'm still human, new errors can appear).

- IF during this usage the kin gets a "Connected" window and the program is clossed without closing that window, then it's the time where you can unplug and it will reset the device communication values, pluggin again. If you reach this state without doing magic, notify it to solve the bug.

Characteristics

- Libusb driver given for the kin (needs to remove the Zune one)
    - Windows (XP,7) 32/64 bits. Linux (through Mono), Mac Osx(through Mono Framework) Compatibility
    - Developed in pure c# (using libusbdotnet)
    - Developped in layers:
    ----> Usb
    ----> Mtp Functions
    ----> Mtp<->Interface manager
    ----> Interface

Images V0.01

Requirements
    ---> Windows
    images

------->Net Framework 2.0
    ------->Libusb-win32 driver(provided below)

---> Linux
    images

------->Root mode to access the devices.
    ------->Mono
    ------->Libusb 1-0 components

---> Mac OsX (Checked with Snow Leopard, PAIN IN THE ASS)
    images

-------> Mono framework
    -------> Libusb-1.0 source (sourceforge)
    ----------> Modern OSX compile for 64 bits. Mono needs 32 bits. Compile (as root) with:
    Code:
    sudo su
    ./configure CC="gcc -m32"
    make CC="gcc -m32"
    make CC="gcc -m32" install
    *Note: it takes a looooooooooooooooooong time to load the first time. be patient
    *Note2: if mono yells about needing X11 for Winforms, download Wireshark for OSX, which has X11 easy installation inside (needed for it).

Download links

Kin Driver (libusb-win32): (Create one with InfWizard for the kin PID and VID)
    32 bit version: http://www.mediafire.com/?0nhrdn7f5je6dcx
    64 bit version: (please use above version)
    Source: ***Still needs a bit more documentation, cleaning and binary testing for errors ;) ***

* Note that i DONT have a 64 bit hardware, so i based its compatibility on the failed running in my Windows 7 (aka "this is for other architecture error")
    ** Note that to use this driver you MUST remove the Zune driver. I recommend to test it on a clean virtual machine first

Functions
    - TreeView Kin Storage explorer (Auto Resyncs after each operation)
    ---> Select one or multiple items with the checkboxes next to them.

- Batch upload to the kin (to the root of the tree)
    ---> Select one ore more files from the selection dialog and go go go. Any file, anytime
    -------> **Danger** pressing twice will upload files twice, be patient.

- Multiple file download from the kin
    ----> Mark any file from the tree and press "Download". The file will be downloaded to a subfolder "Downloads" next to the exe, where the tree storage has been replicated.
    -------> **Danger** Folder and Playlists and other files are just logical, and have no size, so program deals with them as folders (and are created emptied in the local system at the pc)

- Multiple file delete
    -------> Mark any file from the tree and press "Delete". After confirmation, the files selected will be removed from the device.
    -------> **Danger** Folders are not deleted. Infobox at the bottom will inform you if a file could not be deleted.
    -------> **Danger** I trickied it so the storage root could not be deleted... ahhh smart little fellas.. you were already thinking in that huh! rofl.

Known issues

- During my random tests around, i found that sometimes (dunno why exactly), the kin <-> Kino communication skips a step, messing up the mtp communication schema. The solution i used in this release was to show the root storage without children nodes. As this case is an error, you should tell me if you know a repeatable way to get it so i can retest and solve it.
    To keep going with the kin, close Kino, and unlock the Connected window (slide your finger over it) and unplug & plug the usb again.

F.A.Q.
    - Q: No donation button in the end?
    - A: Nope. Just when it proves to be useful ;).

- Q: This works with Kin One devices?
    - A: No. I only have access to Two (bricked) and TwoM devices, so cannot test for the little round turtle.

- Q: Do you provide a driver for Kin?
    - A: Yes. It is only a bridge from the programs to the libusb-win32 functions. Unfortunately, you would have to remove the zune driver (Hardware manager) before using this one.

- Q: This bricks kin devices?
    - A: At all.

- Q: This can hack the device?
    - A: No. This is only a tool to upload and download files to your kin. If later it's used to hack, good anyway ;)

- Q: Can this upload *any* file to the kin storage?
    - A: Yes, binary files like exe, cab,pdf, ... will be labeled as 0x3000 (undefined filetype) for the kin.

- Q: Can i take the code and make my version called OmgKinManager?
    - A: Yup. It would be a nice detail to include a little text in "about..." regarding me though ;)
    I just tested the file upload in the command-line again with static (coded by hand) filesizes.

Here is a new vid (hahaha famous ultralowres) where a file is upload to a just-formatted kin (CB+power).

File: dstpa.mp4 (BEP- Don't stop the party), 33.1MB
    Destination: Kin storage root
    Playable after upload: yup!
    Mp4 tags: At all :p.

Just a upload showcase, not just naming the procedure ;).
    I put the program and correct Drivers on my computer, and It says it's connected and all, BUT It says

"the KIN storage root folder is empty.
    This is clearly weird!"

Whenever I try "download"

Whenever I try to upload(any format) It says

"File 'C:\Users\Jacob\Pictures\wallpaper6.jpg' wasnt uploaded! (error here?)
    All files processed. Yay!"

It says connected on the Kin screen.

Any Idea what I'm doing wrong?

Sometimes kin works randomly. I suggest to disconnected and retry when that happens. from usb too. The program was still in experiment phase, and i may have forgotten to put a MTP instruction. Btw, i think it was so funny at the KinO comments.

So I tested this on my phone(s) and it seems correct. I just got a replacement phone from verizon (so its blank and I can afford to reset it, though not brick it if anyone needs to try anything). When I uploaded the cellebrite.contacts.xml file on the blank phone and reset, I was able to upload contacts. On my other phone, when I uploaded the same file it didn't work. I assume that is due to John's assumption in that I have tried uploading other xml files before.
    Sometimes you need to reboot. We dont really know how it worked, as even the export info does not work properly (i exported a fully filled contact with crappy results). The biggest problem is that the DTD schema for the xml doesnt exist anymore.