Problem with Dock coming apart around hinge area?

Search This thread

babadudu

Mar 26, 2010
San Jose
Hi all,

Today I suddenly noticed a click sound when putting my keyboard on the side and I found out that the case on the side of the hinge would come apart with little force.

It is easily replicated when you push the hinge push the hinge to the bottom and while holding the back case.

The problem is shown on the video below,
http://youtu.be/XS9zTEvvbzk

now, is it normal ? it seems like there are no screws holding that part together so it seems like it is bound to happen!:confused:

--------------------------------------:)

For the Fix

--------------------------------------:D

Last edited:

jordache16

Dec 15, 2011
Iowa
Just curious, how long have you had the dock? And how often do you connect and disconnect the prime from the dock?

oO_SwooP_Oo

Mar 2, 2012
My guess (and it's just a guess) is that the chassis on the edge uses snaps to keep the plate seams together. If this is true then it could be that something caused the snaps to break.

From what you're showing in the video, it definitely does not seem normal to me. I'm really hesitant to reproduce the issue with my own dock, so hopefully someone else in the forums whose had experience opening up the keyboard will provide some insight. In the meantime, if I were you, I would avoid any actions that would forcefully pry apart the chassis edge like that; it could aggravate the problem.

babadudu

Mar 26, 2010
San Jose
like i said, I barely need to use any force at all, just a a very small push.

I also figure out that the position of the hinge makes a difference as well.

If the hinge is in the "closed" position (imagine tablet docked with screen closed), it will not snap open.

it's when the hinge is opened up, the problem appears.

My guess (and it's just a guess) is that the chassis on the edge uses snaps to keep the plate seams together. If this is true then it could be that something caused the snaps to break.

From what you're showing in the video, it definitely does not seem normal to me. I'm really hesitant to reproduce the issue with my own dock, so hopefully someone else in the forums whose had experience opening up the keyboard will provide some insight. In the meantime, if I were you, I would avoid any actions that would forcefully pry apart the chassis edge like that; it could aggravate the problem.

newellj79

Jan 2, 2011
OnePlus 8
Anyone ?
just a yes or no so I can try to return it !

Two weeks ago I started having this same problem. The slightest pressure pops it right back together. I don't know that I'll bother to return it. I would assume there is a good chance they all do, and that it may have something to do with the way we insert it and remove it from the dock.

junkiehyjinx

Jun 9, 2010
st.pete fl
I just noticed this problem the other day. It does it about half way when opening or closing. Kinda like the pins of the hinge push it open just a little.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using XDA Premium HD app

bmwfrkvt

Jul 2, 2010
I have the same issues. The dock is generally just not well made. the back panel is too flexible, it pops open at the edges, and Ive noticed the hinges have gotten looser, and have a dead spot now, where the tablet can flap back and forth, similar to most laptops.

cs42

Oct 4, 2010
Same problem here. Just went to the shop on saturday and they sent it to Asus. Don't know yet, what happens.

Bought the prime about 10 weeks ago, so they don't want to exchange it without sending in here in Germany. I just wish there'd be ASUS-stores like Apple stores, where this would have been handled more easily...

pileot

Oct 16, 2010
As someone who has taken their dock apart to see what makes it tick i know there are several hidden screws inside the dock part of the keyboard (under a black sticker, hard to see or find if your not looking) that help hold the hinge together. i found my screen protector was adding pressure on the dock and removed some of the material so everything fit better tho after doing what i did i dont really recommend it to others.

I too am rather unimpressed with the construction of the dock however im not going to worry too much about it, if it gets too flimsy for my liking ill just take it apart again and tighten things up again.

clouds5

Feb 8, 2011
I had this once but i just pressed it toghether slightly and it never happened again.

sledgie

Feb 12, 2005
Pileot could you make a small video or take pictures of the screws you did tighten to make it better?

This just happened to me last night and I'm very deeply saddened.

I take the tablet out of the dock about once every two days, Max. I've had the dock for 12 days now. C1OKA to start the S/N. Amethyst. Bought it from Amazon 3/2.

No screen protector, no added weight. I noticed it happened when I grabbed the dock with the tablet open by the Asus sticker on the keyboard, with my hands on both side of the touchpad.

Entire backend popped open, both hinges, and alongside the bacl under the tablet slide.
Im going to see if Amazon will take it back and exchange otherwise Asus will get my backend fixed.
Any ideas to those of you who have opened it that will keep it in place? i don't want to put tape on it. But i understand the weight of the tablet in the dock fully extended changes the center of gravity putting more pressure on the bottom of the dock and if it only has tabs that is the reason it is popping open.

No breaks cracks scratches damage of any kind.

k33py

Oct 3, 2010
Got the same problem with mine. It's only a month old and it seems to be the way I hold it whilst docked. I tend to hold it one handed by the black sticker whilst opening it with my left hand. Gonna send it to asus for a repair as it seems the catch as snapped. ANOTHER desgin floor.
Is there not a screw underneath the rubber ?

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using xda premium

Verbalvenom

May 17, 2009
My docking station was also having this issue. THere's screws under the rubber feet of the dock. I had to tighten both screws near the hinge down and that resolved the hinge splitting. Who knows if it'll happen again, but it's a pretty simple fix.

Last edited:

BuZzCoRe

Mar 30, 2010
Hi,

No issues with the dock whatsoever, however I did notice that at a 45degree angle the prime just closes by itself. Not sure if it was like that from the beginning but it seems like opening and closing does loosen the hinges hold a bit.

Anyone experienced this?

sledgie

Feb 12, 2005
Hinge FIX

I meant to write this a few weeks ago.

So I have a C3 keyboard....My C1 from Amazon worked great for 13 days...then it "popped" at the hinge and i was like...oh ****...
In the pictures you can see where it pops and the hinge came apart.

What I found was the little old chinese lady who put these together on that specific day must have had a serious case of Arthritis....when i examined underneath the rubber feet, both screws on both sides were completely unscrewed. I got the right sized 6 star driver, popped the hinge back together (especially underneath the hinge-release area in the middle of the keyboard), and screwed them in but didn't overtighten. I checked to make sure the dock wouldn't pop out again by placing tablet in and holding it on both sides of the trackpad and it didn't pop open. Voila! Put a dollup of rubber cement on pads, stuck them back on, and let it dry. Happy again! I hope this works for you guys.

edit: screws are Phillips head, not 6 star. opened rest of dock with 6 star (not necessary for this fix); sorry for confusion. PS super glue works well too if no rubber cement

Attachments

• IMG_20120404_112648-picsay.jpg
    IMG_20120404_112648-picsay.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 246
  • IMG_20120404_112704-picsay.jpg
    IMG_20120404_112704-picsay.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 232
  • IMG_20120404_112746-picsay.jpg
    IMG_20120404_112746-picsay.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 260
  • IMG_20120404_112816.jpg
    IMG_20120404_112816.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 238
Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hinge FIX

I meant to write this a few weeks ago.

So I have a C3 keyboard....My C1 from Amazon worked great for 13 days...then it "popped" at the hinge and i was like...oh ****...
    In the pictures you can see where it pops and the hinge came apart.

What I found was the little old chinese lady who put these together on that specific day must have had a serious case of Arthritis....when i examined underneath the rubber feet, both screws on both sides were completely unscrewed. I got the right sized 6 star driver, popped the hinge back together (especially underneath the hinge-release area in the middle of the keyboard), and screwed them in but didn't overtighten. I checked to make sure the dock wouldn't pop out again by placing tablet in and holding it on both sides of the trackpad and it didn't pop open. Voila! Put a dollup of rubber cement on pads, stuck them back on, and let it dry. Happy again! I hope this works for you guys.

edit: screws are Phillips head, not 6 star. opened rest of dock with 6 star (not necessary for this fix); sorry for confusion. PS super glue works well too if no rubber cement