Flashable Linux and Android

Search This thread

scizzle

Jun 12, 2006
guer.ril.la
Does anyone else's phone keep freezing? I've tried 2 SD cards, same result. It sometimes freezes before panel init, sometimes when changing colour frame buffer, and sometimes on SD card init. I haven't got it to boot yet because of the freezing.

Light blinks red.

Last edited:

Quanny2000

Aug 29, 2009
Works great, will donate soon, just need to get the cashola to donate...

took me awhile to get it on my vogue though... i have two vogues, one as a dummy one that the esn was locked out so i have been using it as a "dev" phone to try the new builds before i put it on the other one, and my regular day to day one, had to figure out a way to convert my system file from cramfs to squashfs... so i didnt have to start from scratch..

who would have thought to just mount the cramfs, then create the squashfs from the mount, lol, worked well, and it definately runs a little faster from nand....

great job dzo, thank you for your hard work :)

dzo

Senior Recognized Developer
Apr 3, 2008
Auckland
thanks - that worked. lol, the windows guy didn't try rebooting!

dzo, For mass storage are you using function or gadget? I ask because I saw a post from an android maintainer stating that function support will eventually be deprecated...

We're still using function because I never got gadget working with 2.6.25 and it would mean rewriting the usb driver.

If anyone has their phone crash with this kernel can you send me a kmsg log. The kernel saves a kmsg log (kernel messages) in memory and as long as power hasn't been removed, it will be available on next boot.
To get it, do the following:

reset the device (don't pull the battery or reboot more than once).
connect usb and start adb by typing:

adb pull /proc/last_kmsg .

Post the file and I'll see if there's anything useful in it.

Remember this is still quite experimental and while it's been stable for me I may not have initialised something quite right, so crashes are possible.

dzo

Apr 3, 2008
Auckland
Had the same issue after the first boot, all following boots worked fine. Sprint Vogue on Boost Mobile running Android(talk about a mindf'k lol)

seen a few errors on the startup but i'm sure they can be worked out. i'm wondering were can we pull the patches that were done to the kernel so this could be adapted to other phones. my only issue i'm having is cant make outgoing calls, not sure if its build related or what but it did this before so I know its not anything Dzo did. gonna just try another build.

All kernel patches are here:

http://git.linuxtogo.org/?p=groups/mobile-linux/kernel.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/htc-vogue

What happens when you make an outgoing call? does sound work otherwise? what radio are you using?

scizzle

Jun 12, 2006
guer.ril.la
We're still using function because I never got gadget working with 2.6.25 and it would mean rewriting the usb driver.

If anyone has their phone crash with this kernel can you send me a kmsg log. The kernel saves a kmsg log (kernel messages) in memory and as long as power hasn't been removed, it will be available on next boot.
To get it, do the following:

reset the device (don't pull the battery or reboot more than once).
connect usb and start adb by typing:

adb pull /proc/last_kmsg .

Post the file and I'll see if there's anything useful in it.

Remember this is still quite experimental and while it's been stable for me I may not have initialised something quite right, so crashes are possible.
I'm getting a tonne of crashes, using an Okta Touch like you... so don't know why it isn't working.

Does it save the kmsg file to SD card? Otherwise I can't retrieve it.

cbaty08

Jun 30, 2009
Santa Clara
Best droid build? Master List of vogue capable Android builds a good idea??

DZO, you are awesome my friend.

Question...

I was going to try this method out over the weekend, but I am having troubles in choosing what build of Android I'd like to use... Of course I'd like 2.0 but I don't know if devs have the gps working yet on it.. So I guess the real question is: What is the latest greatest least buggy Android build for us vogue users???

Second:
Would anyone else be interested in making a thread where we can Post the different "versions/flavors/themes" of Android builds that are running on the Touch?
Sort of like a Master list of Android builds, explaining the differences possibly with screen-shots we can all upload of which build of Android we are running....

Just thinking while I sit here at work waiting for builds to load. ZZzzzzzzz........

dzo

Apr 3, 2008
Auckland
I'm getting a tonne of crashes, using an Okta Touch like you... so don't know why it isn't working.

Does it save the kmsg file to SD card? Otherwise I can't retrieve it.

Did you have a working system when running from SD? How far does it get in the boot process, what's the last message it displays? What radio are you using, I have the original green Okta Touch running the official Telecom upgrade radio and hardSPL 2.31.CoKe.

scizzle

Jun 12, 2006
guer.ril.la
Did you have a working system when running from SD? How far does it get in the boot process, what's the last message it displays? What radio are you using, I have the original green Okta Touch running the official Telecom upgrade radio and hardSPL 2.31.CoKe.

It works fine from SD, when I flash a WM rom back, it still runs.

It freezes in multiple places, either:
* prior to detecting panel type 3 to display, which results in a white screen
* initiating colour frame buffer
* initiating sd card

I have to soft reboot a couple of times to get it to detect my display, and the furtherest I have gotten was up to initiating SD card. I've tried multiple SD cards, removing battery, reflashing... everything I can think of.

I will try the official radio/rom upgrade and let you know.

I have black OKTA touch, one of the last ones tcom sold. It's VOGU100. CokeSPL 2.31. Under Windows mobile settings -> Device information, hardware ID is 0001.

Last edited:

scizzle

Jun 12, 2006
guer.ril.la
Ok, I flashed official TCOM ROM, and still not change.

It freezes on:
* Initial boot, before display is detected, with red blinking LED which stops after about 10 blinks.
* Just after display detection, and shows a scrambled screen, which usually flickers when booting from SD before text starts scrolling past.
* On the line "3.690405] mice: PS/2 mouse device common for all mice" <-- that's a new one
* On the line "3.200004] SD Init"
* On the line "3.640137] mmcblk0: pl" <-- just after SD Init Retry

It's always these lines or very close to these lines. I get around 1 second of display... then it freezes.

At one point on the scrambled screen, i saw right down the bottom: "3.720005] Rebooting in 3 seconds...". I don't know if that could be the issue?

dzo

Apr 3, 2008
Auckland
It works fine from SD, when I flash a WM rom back, it still runs.

It freezes in multiple places, either:
* prior to detecting panel type 3 to display, which results in a white screen
* initiating colour frame buffer
* initiating sd card

I have to soft reboot a couple of times to get it to detect my display, and the furtherest I have gotten was up to initiating SD card. I've tried multiple SD cards, removing battery, reflashing... everything I can think of.

I will try the official radio/rom upgrade and let you know.

I have black OKTA touch, one of the last ones tcom sold. It's VOGU100. CokeSPL 2.31. Under Windows mobile settings -> Device information, hardware ID is 0001.

Looks like it could be the panel init code, both my vogues have panel type 1. I'll have a look at the wince code and see if there's something I missed. Could you try booting from SPL by booting to the tri-colour screen, connecting with minicom or HTCFlasher and typing "boot". This may not work but the SPL will have initialised the display so it could do.

scizzle

Jun 12, 2006
guer.ril.la
Looks like it could be the panel init code, both my vogues have panel type 1. I'll have a look at the wince code and see if there's something I missed. Could you try booting from SPL by booting to the tri-colour screen, connecting with minicom or HTCFlasher and typing "boot". This may not work but the SPL will have initialised the display so it could do.

I don't have access to linux locally. Is there any windows program that will do the same?

jamezelle

Retired Forum Mod / Retired Recognized Developer
Nov 4, 2007
Ohio
www.jamezelle.com
dzo how much physical mem do we have on the nand you say we can have 13 mb rootfs 90mb (uncompressed) systemfs and 128 mb datafs am i right?

dzo

Apr 3, 2008
Auckland
dzo how much physical mem do we have on the nand you say we can have 13 mb rootfs 90mb (uncompressed) systemfs and 128 mb datafs am i right?

NAND is 256M and 22M is used for the AMSS and SPL.
3M for the kernel and initrd, 13M rootfs, 90M system, this leaves 128M for data.

The rootfs isn't completely necessary so we could move it's functionality into the initrd, otherwise there's no free space.

BinaryDroid

All kernel patches are here:

http://git.linuxtogo.org/?p=groups/mobile-linux/kernel.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/htc-vogue

What happens when you make an outgoing call? does sound work otherwise? what radio are you using?

Not sure what radio but the phone just came back from AE(I work for sprint as a tech during the day) so i assume it latest. the call connects, i hear it ring on both ends, soon as the call picks up it reboots. incoming calls work no problem at all. think it could be a radio issue?

bblount

Feb 10, 2007
Failed to mount system fs on SD Card

I have reformatted sd card and tried 2 different cards to no avail. Keep getting stuck in this spot.

Android 1.5 is the version I am using and it will work no problem from sd card via harret.

Please help

MrDJ

Dec 25, 2003
Faster?

Ok 2 questions:

1. Does the os run a lot faster when running off the NAND?

2. How do I create the 3 files? Do I just type some command?