Desire vs. Samsung Galaxy S

Search This thread

leoon

Mar 20, 2010
just saw the review from GSM-Arena of the Galaxy S... I'm more and more interested in it, they even said that the UI is good
just a questions, my 3 years old phone (HTC P3600) has a program called iGO to use gps. but in the review they said "No free GPS navigation solution". Does this mean that there will not be any program to use GPS in the Galaxy S?
Another question about Android: do apps work based on the android os version (2.1,2.2..) or they work based on the UI costumization (HTC sense, TouchWiz..)?

NZtechfreak

Sep 5, 2008
If you guys think HTCs cameras are now as good as competitors you guys are deluded, seriously.

I love my Desire, loved my HD2, and my Touch Pro, but the cameras really aren't very good (I've also owned the N900, N95, N95 8GB, N82, i8910 in the last couple of years). They have improved quite a bit, and the HD2 and Desire are pretty serviceable, but they are still on the poor side of 5mp phone cams.

sruon

May 17, 2010
just saw the review from GSM-Arena of the Galaxy S... I'm more and more interested in it, they even said that the UI is good
just a questions, my 3 years old phone (HTC P3600) has a program called iGO to use gps. but in the review they said "No free GPS navigation solution". Does this mean that there will not be any program to use GPS in the Galaxy S?
Another question about Android: do apps work based on the android os version (2.1,2.2..) or they work based on the UI costumization (HTC sense, TouchWiz..)?

Didn't read if it has a GPS chip (would be weird if it didn't) maybe what they mean is that there is no App shipped and that you need to acquire one (often carriers put their own, paid ones, in the custom ROMs).

As for the other question: it's based on the OS version, with possible bugs/more integration depending on the customization Layer.

snapilica2003

Dec 29, 2008
Bucharest
iGO has a version for Android systems, regardless of manufacturer or UI customizations.

And apps work based on android os version, they have nothing to do with UI customizations... only thing i feel is affected about UI customizations are widgets.

shaundalglish

May 6, 2010
I love my Desire, loved my HD2, and my Touch Pro, but the cameras really aren't very good (I've also owned the N900, N95, N95 8GB, N82, i8910 in the last couple of years). They have improved quite a bit, and the HD2 and Desire are pretty serviceable, but they are still on the poor side of 5mp phone cams.

How is Nokia a competition? Do they suddenly run Android? Did I miss something? Or maybe you should next time read and think before posting?

benko286

Retired Forum Moderator
Aug 2, 2008
Croatia, Zagreb
iGO is availabe for Android, but it costs and it does not support WVGA resolution(there is a tutorial ti "fix" this)

Anyway here is what I have found in GSMArena for Desire
HTC promised to release a firmware update soon, bringing DivX support and 720p video encoding. We’re certainly looking forward.

If that is true, go for Desire..

SkinBobUk

Jun 5, 2010
I like how the apps menu scrolls left to right like the iphone, im not a fan of it scrolling down on my desire.

shaundalglish

May 6, 2010
I'm an "a$$hole" because some moron talks about HTC cameras not being as good as "the competition" and cites Nokia phones? WTF? Nokia doesn't even make Android phones. That guy's post was utter useless. Completely off-topic.
I was talking about HTC using the same chips as Samsung and that guy starts talking about Nokia. Stupid.

I like how the apps menu scrolls left to right like the iphone, im not a fan of it scrolling down on my desire.
You can have that on your Desire with ADW.Launcher I think.

Last edited:

abc27

Apr 16, 2010
I'm an "a$$hole" because some moron talks about HTC cameras not being as good as "the competition" and cites Nokia phones? WTF? Nokia doesn't even make Android phones. That guy's post was utter useless. Completely off-topic.
I was talking about HTC using the same chips as Samsung and that guy starts talking about Nokia. Stupid.

You can have that on your Desire with ADW.Launcher I think.
Nokia make smartphones as do HTC. Therefore they are competing with each other ;)

Not that hard to comprehend really.

Nokia uses top notch top quality hardware all throughout their phone. When they mean 5MP camera they mean a high quality lens and video recording at proper framerate. Not 15FPS video recording and a tiny lens.

It's such a shame that they don't have Maemo on more of their phones :(
Symbian sucks.

thedarkone04

Sep 5, 2008
Hmm, I plan on getting a new Phone in September. The two choices are the Galaxy S and the Desire.
I don't know what's it about the Desire that makes me ''desire'' it so much even if it does have weaker specs.

abc27

Apr 16, 2010
Hmm, I plan on getting a new Phone in September. The two choices are the Galaxy S and the Desire.
I don't know what's it about the Desire that makes me ''desire'' it so much even if it does have weaker specs.
Maybe because it will actually have a Developer community behind it?

Samsung phones don't get half as much developer support as HTC phones.

That and HTC are pretty much the de facto main Android phone makers.

shaundalglish

May 6, 2010
Nokia make smartphones as do HTC. Therefore they are competing with each other

Not that hard to comprehend really.
Guy we are talking about two Android phones here, made by Samsung and HTC. All I said was that HTC use the same chips as Samsung and that HTC cameras are just as good as those of other Android phones.

Not that hard to comprend really.

I don't know how Nokia has anything to do with what I said. Oh wait... they don't :rolleyes:.

ajaik

Mar 10, 2011
New York
G2 / Desire is better

I believe the G2 / Desire is the closest you will get to a stock Android phone with a great user experience. Samsung should ditch TouchWiz as it serves no purpose unless you like your Android phone to work like an iPhone (in which case you should just buy an iPhone already).

The G2 is also one of the few handsets that can render Google Maps on 3D (good graphics chipset). And probably one of the best slideout keyboards I have ever used on any Android device (Im a developer so Ive played with many devices).

ooie

Dec 12, 2010
Maybe because it will actually have a Developer community behind it?

Samsung phones don't get half as much developer support as HTC phones.

That and HTC are pretty much the de facto main Android phone makers.
The Galaxy S Android Development subforum has almost as many posts as the Desire..

Galaxy S is a great phone IMO, you can't go wrong with either one.

As for Nokia, they're have been the losers on the smartphone market ever since the first iPhone came out. However, I will be keep a look at their upcoming W7 phones. Our national pride is at stake :D :D

Last edited: