[MOD/ HOW TO] Enable WiFi Tethering

Search This thread

Nottach

Mar 20, 2008
New York
THIS IS FOR THE BRAVE PEOPLE ONLY!!!

I deodexed my own system in order to do this modification.
I replaced the files manually using an on device file explorer.
I do not recommend doing this if you aren't comfortable dealing with smali.

I got tethering working by modifying:

TetheringProvision.apk

/com/sec/tetheringprovision/TetheringProvisionActivity$5.smali
--return -1 instead of 0

Code:
    .line 990
     iget-object v0, p0,  Lcom/sec/tetheringprovision/TetheringProvisionActivity$5;->this$0:Lcom/sec/tetheringprovision/TetheringProvisionActivity;

[COLOR=Red]--    const/4 v1, 0x0
[/COLOR][COLOR=YellowGreen]++    const/4 v1, -0x1[/COLOR]

#calls: Lcom/sec/tetheringprovision/TetheringProvisionActivity;->sendResult(I)V
     invoke-static {v0, v1},  Lcom/sec/tetheringprovision/TetheringProvisionActivity;->access$800(Lcom/sec/tetheringprovision/TetheringProvisionActivity;I)V

&&

/com/sec/tetheringprovision/TetheringProvisionActivity$TetheringPlanCheckTask.smali
--change auth links to localhost

Code:
   .line 1081
    const-string v0, "[COLOR=Red]127.0.0.1[/COLOR]"

iput-object v0, p0,  Lcom/sec/tetheringprovision/TetheringProvisionActivity$TetheringPlanCheckTask;->ATTTetheringPlanCheckURL:Ljava/lang/String;

.line 1082

iput-object v0, p0,  Lcom/sec/tetheringprovision/TetheringProvisionActivity$TetheringPlanCheckTask;->ATTMHSPlanCheckURL:Ljava/lang/String;

It fails the authentication quickly and anonymously by calling localhost (127.0.0.1) and allows hot spot enabling after.

The modified APK is attached. Rename existing APK and ODEX file to .BAK then place modded APK in system/app and reboot.

UPDATE: The attached APK is out of date and obsolete. See my dev-resources thread for an updated deodexed system installer based on the newest system release that includes this mod.

Attachments

• TetheringProvision.apk
    209.7 KB · Views: 10,840
Last edited:

n311.dunkle

Really man? How did he root? Spend 30 seconds looking at the forum.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using xda app-developers app

Harsh much? The "original" Android development forum had one topic and one sticky. I didn't even think to look there. My bad but seriously I hate when people post rude comments that don't even answer the question asked. Keep it to yourself if you don't feel like being helpful.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using xda premium

BigDogPooh

Mar 21, 2006
Catskill
Since you modified the apk already we should be able to push the apk into the system and change the permissions using a root Explorer. Even if you mess up this apk won't brink anything. The worst case is your tethering just won't work. You can even just rename the old system files to .bak just incase.

Can you post up the modified apk...

Nottach

Mar 20, 2008
New York
Since you modified the apk already we should be able to push the apk into the system and change the permissions using a root Explorer. Even if you mess up this apk won't brink anything. The worst case is your tethering just won't work. You can even just rename the old system files to .bak just incase.

Posted modded APK in OP.

alwayslearning

Dec 3, 2007
CA
I'm rooted, but PDAnet never requested root access. Does it give you a specific error or message?

okay, I got it to work :good:
I had gone to the FoxFi website like it said in the store, I now went to PDANet+ site and downloaded the bundle and it worked, thanks for the tip this will help a lot until the custom ROMs come out.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    THIS IS FOR THE BRAVE PEOPLE ONLY!!!

I deodexed my own system in order to do this modification.
    I replaced the files manually using an on device file explorer.
    I do not recommend doing this if you aren't comfortable dealing with smali.

I got tethering working by modifying:

TetheringProvision.apk

/com/sec/tetheringprovision/TetheringProvisionActivity$5.smali
    --return -1 instead of 0

Code:
        .line 990
         iget-object v0, p0,  Lcom/sec/tetheringprovision/TetheringProvisionActivity$5;->this$0:Lcom/sec/tetheringprovision/TetheringProvisionActivity;

[COLOR=Red]--    const/4 v1, 0x0
    [/COLOR][COLOR=YellowGreen]++    const/4 v1, -0x1[/COLOR]

#calls: Lcom/sec/tetheringprovision/TetheringProvisionActivity;->sendResult(I)V
         invoke-static {v0, v1},  Lcom/sec/tetheringprovision/TetheringProvisionActivity;->access$800(Lcom/sec/tetheringprovision/TetheringProvisionActivity;I)V

&&

/com/sec/tetheringprovision/TetheringProvisionActivity$TetheringPlanCheckTask.smali
    --change auth links to localhost

Code:
       .line 1081

iput-object v0, p0,  Lcom/sec/tetheringprovision/TetheringProvisionActivity$TetheringPlanCheckTask;->ATTTetheringPlanCheckURL:Ljava/lang/String;

.line 1082

iput-object v0, p0,  Lcom/sec/tetheringprovision/TetheringProvisionActivity$TetheringPlanCheckTask;->ATTMHSPlanCheckURL:Ljava/lang/String;

It fails the authentication quickly and anonymously by calling localhost (127.0.0.1) and allows hot spot enabling after.

The modified APK is attached. Rename existing APK and ODEX file to .BAK then place modded APK in system/app and reboot.

UPDATE: The attached APK is out of date and obsolete. See my dev-resources thread for an updated deodexed system installer based on the newest system release that includes this mod.
    Ok....real simple to do everyone. .

First make sure you have a browser with root access.

Go into system/app and rename the tetheringprovision.apk to tetheringprovision.apk.bak and do the same thing for the tetheringprovision.odex file. This is your saftey net just encase you want to revert back.

Now copy over the file you downloaded and move into system/app. Change the permisions to rw-r-r and reboot.

You now have tether....when you turn on you will get a screen that says to call or visit att to enable tether...click ok and you are now a wifi hotspot...

Thanks to the op for the mod....

Posted modded APK in OP.
    I can confirm that the modified APK works. Here's the instructions for ADB if people prefer that method. Make sure your SDK tools are up to date.

Commands:
    adb shell
    su
    mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/system /system
    chmod 777 /system/app
    exit
    exit

adb pull /system/app/TetheringProvision.apk C:\BackupDir\TetheringProvision.apk
    adb pull /system/app/TetheringProvision.odex C:\BackupDir\TetheringProvision.odex

adb shell
    su
    mv /system/app/TetheringProvision.apk /system/app/TetheringProvision.apkbak
    mv /system/app/TetheringProvision.odex /system/app/TetheringProvision.odexbak
    exit
    exit

adb push C:\DownloadDirectory\TetheringProvision.apk /system/app/TetheringProvision.apk

adb shell
    su
    chmod 644 /system/app/TetheringProvision.apk
    reboot

-----Do this at your own risk, we have very few options to recover your device.-----
    I guess I'm not that familiar with .smali but how did you get root permission?

Really man? How did he root? Spend 30 seconds looking at the forum.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using xda app-developers app