[TUTORIAL] How to Flash Stock Motorola Fastboot files

Search This thread
Thanks!

Welcome to my first tutorial! Please make suggestions in this thread on how to improve it. I will try to be a comprehensive as possible but also as general as possible since flashing firmware to Motorola phones is a pretty consistent process.

Disclaimer:
Please note, like almost everything else on XDA-Developers.com doing this process without fully understanding it can possibly brick the phone (although if it probably already is) thus, I cannot be held liable for any damages caused by following this process.

In other words, the person performing the work performed in this post is fully responsible for their actions on this phone.
/Disclaimer

Before starting with the flashing a Motorola phone, please review the following information:

1. In most cases firmware versions CANNOT be downgraded
  2. Firmware from other regions can sometimes be flashed, but not always, this is why it is always recommended to stick with the same firmware branch that is already on the phone
  3. The phone that will be flashed should be fully charged, the fastboot flashing process only allows for phones that are over 50 or 60% to be flashed.
  4. Use a USB 2.0 port that is directly connected to the motherboard of the computer (preferably on the back of a desktop, or internal ports on a laptop)

Now, prepare the computer for the flashing process

1. Download the latest Motorola USB & Charging Drivers from http://www.motorola.com/Support/CA-EN/Support-Home/USB-Drivers-and-PC-Charging-Drivers
  2. Download the latest available RSD Lite software (~6mb) - As of March 4th 2013, it is 6.1.4 and can be downloaded from here : http://d-h.st/KNN
  3. Ensure the computer can detect the phone in fastboot mode (I have seen a number of problems with different versions of Windows, if it doesn't work on one PC, try a different one). To perform the test, power off the phone completely and boot it into fastboot mode. Unfortunately since Motorola phones are all built uniquley, this tutorial cannot cover all of the different methods to boot a phone in fastboot, but the most common method is to hold the VOLUME UP button and VOLUME DOWN button while pressing POWER. A menu will most likely appear, use the VOLUME DOWN button and navigate to "AP Fastboot", now press the VOLUME UP button. The phone should say it is OK to Program like in the following screen
    attachment.php

Next, connect the USB cable to the computer, it should detect and install a driver. Check in device manager for a "Mot Single ADB Interface" under ADB Interface. If it is not listed, try to force the drivers to look in the "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Motorola Shared\Mobile Drivers\Drivers" folder.
    attachment.php

Once the driver is loaded, open up RSD Lite and the internal codename should be listed under one of the ports. In RAZR HD (GSM) it says Fastboot VANQUISH_U S.
    attachment.php

4. At this point, I would recommend to download the firmware to the computer that will be used for the flashing (once the phone is detectable in RSD Lite, that is a good indication the computer can detect the phone, navigate to http://sbf.droid-developers.org and locate the correct firmware and version that should be loaded on the phone. If the firmware is not listed there, please put a request into the firmware team (supply the default.prop and build.prop files). They are pretty good with locating firmware! The firmware files are generally large (ranging anywhere between 200mb and 1500mb) so now would be a good time to top-up that phone charge (if possible). If it isn't possible to charge the phone, don't worry, the phone will automatically turn off if it doesn't detect a flashing process after a few minutes.

Flashing Time!
Once the preparation has completed, flashing is very straightforward. Extract the downloaded firmware files to a folder on your hard disk, then use RSD Lite to load the XML file up. Power on the phone into fastboot mode again, and plug in the phone into an internal USB port on the computer, then press the start button. If everything is successful the phone should begin booting into the stock system. The flashing process usually takes 10-20 minutes depending on the size of the files and the power of the phone. If there are any failures, be sure to read the "Before getting started" section again, and hopefully someone on the forum can help recover the phone with you!

Just flashed my xt925 following your instruction, worked like a charm. Just needed to add the "getvar" line deleting but it's great tutorial.

DonaldBrown214

Aug 13, 2013
XT907

I've got the Droid Razr M, XT907, and it WAS rooted with motofail2go (DJRBliss' method). I used NoBloat to remove a bunch of bloatware, and then the phone got factory reset by a mischievous coworker who thought I would just have to sync with Google again to get everything back. Now I'm softbricked, and I have tried using RSD Lite and Razr M utility to flash stock fastboot files to restore to virgin Jellybean 4.1.2. Nothing has worked, can't do an OTA update, can't flash stock files, can't regain root access.

When I enter into AP Fastboot, I see Battery OK, then Transfer Mode: USB Connected. I'm not seeing "OK to Program".

Whatdo?

backslashV

Aug 24, 2009
@danifunker
Will it be ok to perform these commands prior to flashing?
> fastboot erase boot
> fastboot erase cache
> fastboot erase recovery
> fastboot erase system
> fastboot erase userdata
and what are the next steps after those actions?

Last edited:

alki1979

Mar 25, 2013
Welcome to my first tutorial! Please make suggestions in this thread on how to improve it. I will try to be a comprehensive as possible but also as general as possible since flashing firmware to Motorola phones is a pretty consistent process.

Disclaimer:
Please note, like almost everything else on XDA-Developers.com doing this process without fully understanding it can possibly brick the phone (although if it probably already is) thus, I cannot be held liable for any damages caused by following this process.

In other words, the person performing the work performed in this post is fully responsible for their actions on this phone.
/Disclaimer

Before starting with the flashing a Motorola phone, please review the following information:

2. Firmware from other regions can sometimes be flashed, but not always, this is why it is always recommended to stick with the same firmware branch that is already on the phone
  3. The phone that will be flashed should be fully charged, the fastboot flashing process only allows for phones that are over 50 or 60% to be flashed.
  4. Use a USB 2.0 port that is directly connected to the motherboard of the computer (preferably on the back of a desktop, or internal ports on a laptop)

1. Download the latest Motorola USB & Charging Drivers from http://www.motorola.com/Support/CA-EN/Support-Home/USB-Drivers-and-PC-Charging-Drivers
  2. Download the latest available RSD Lite software (~6mb) - As of March 4th 2013, it is 6.1.4 and can be downloaded from here : http://d-h.st/KNN
  3. Ensure the computer can detect the phone in fastboot mode (I have seen a number of problems with different versions of Windows, if it doesn't work on one PC, try a different one). To perform the test, power off the phone completely and boot it into fastboot mode. Unfortunately since Motorola phones are all built uniquley, this tutorial cannot cover all of the different methods to boot a phone in fastboot, but the most common method is to hold the VOLUME UP button and VOLUME DOWN button while pressing POWER. A menu will most likely appear, use the VOLUME DOWN button and navigate to "AP Fastboot", now press the VOLUME UP button. The phone should say it is OK to Program like in the following screen
    attachment.php

Next, connect the USB cable to the computer, it should detect and install a driver. Check in device manager for a "Mot Single ADB Interface" under ADB Interface. If it is not listed, try to force the drivers to look in the "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Motorola Shared\Mobile Drivers\Drivers" folder.
    attachment.php

Once the driver is loaded, open up RSD Lite and the internal codename should be listed under one of the ports. In RAZR HD (GSM) it says Fastboot VANQUISH_U S.
    attachment.php

4. At this point, I would recommend to download the firmware to the computer that will be used for the flashing (once the phone is detectable in RSD Lite, that is a good indication the computer can detect the phone, navigate to http://sbf.droid-developers.org and locate the correct firmware and version that should be loaded on the phone. If the firmware is not listed there, please put a request into the firmware team (supply the default.prop and build.prop files). They are pretty good with locating firmware! The firmware files are generally large (ranging anywhere between 200mb and 1500mb) so now would be a good time to top-up that phone charge (if possible). If it isn't possible to charge the phone, don't worry, the phone will automatically turn off if it doesn't detect a flashing process after a few minutes.

Flashing Time!
Once the preparation has completed, flashing is very straightforward. Extract the downloaded firmware files to a folder on your hard disk, then use RSD Lite to load the XML file up. Power on the phone into fastboot mode again, and plug in the phone into an internal USB port on the computer, then press the start button. If everything is successful the phone should begin booting into the stock system. The flashing process usually takes 10-20 minutes depending on the size of the files and the power of the phone. If there are any failures, be sure to read the "Before getting started" section again, and hopefully someone on the forum can help recover the phone with you!

is there a solution like this for Att Atrix HD?

alki1979

Mar 25, 2013

Disclaimer:

/Disclaimer

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Flashing Time!
\

I have an atrix hd and was wondering why I keep getting fails
with rsd? 1/23 partition

mitsus

Jan 12, 2009
I'm try to flash stock ROM into xt925. I've delete <step operation="getvar" var="max-download-size" /> and process start, but it stop for indeterminate time into Status [17/22 flash system "system_signed"]!!

Please help me to solve

is0lde

Jul 24, 2013
Failed Flashing Process

Would be best to download the files before entering the bootloader... I heard some nasty stories bout battery emptying out in BL/recovery and it messed up while flashing.

Charge up the phone before flashing and have the files ready prior to flashing.

Sent from my XT925 using xda app-developers app

I am trying to resolve a Encryption unsuccessful screen. when I tried flashing stock ROM or reflashing 4.1.2 RSD gives me a Fail Flashing Process message.. 1/19 flash partition "partition_signed" --phone returned fail.
Please help?

RikRong

Feb 16, 2013
Google Pixel 5
Google Pixel 6a
I am trying to resolve a Encryption unsuccessful screen. when I tried flashing stock ROM or reflashing 4.1.2 RSD gives me a Fail Flashing Process message.. 1/19 flash partition "partition_signed" --phone returned fail.
Please help?

What system version is the phone on and which FXZ are you trying to flash? It looks like you're trying to flash an older system version.

is0lde

Jul 24, 2013
What system version is the phone on and which FXZ are you trying to flash? It looks like you're trying to flash an older system version.

The Phone is or was on Rogers 4.1.2 Jelly Bean.
I tried flashing
"9.8.2Q-50-XT925_VQLM-20_AmericaMovil_BR_SIGNED_S12_USAVANQUCLABRLA01F.0R_VANQJBCLABRLA_P007_A007_S1FF_v2_fb.xml"
and
"7.7.1Q-144_VQL_S3-49_USERSIGNED_CANADA_SIGNCanadaIRDUnlk_USAVANQURGRCANA005.0R_CFC_fastboot.xml"

I was going to try
"cm-10.2-20130812-UNOFFICIAL-epinter-xt925" using fastboot..?

is0lde

Jul 24, 2013
I have been unable to fastboot any rom or flash commands. I just get remote write failures, and partition errors.
Anyone confirm if its bricked or just my bad methodology?

InvaderDJ

Dec 15, 2010
Will this also unroot and relock?

I finally decided to dig my DROID RAZR MAXX HD out of my closet and get it on KitKat. Before I retired it I was unlocked and rooted using the old "motopocalypse/motochopper" exploit and was running CM10. I just want to get the phone back to stock and locked and use it as a good backup/travel phone.

If I flash the official KitKat firmware from the SBF site will that also lock and unroot? Thanks in advance for any help.

bweN diorD

Jun 12, 2011
I finally decided to dig my DROID RAZR MAXX HD out of my closet and get it on KitKat. Before I retired it I was unlocked and rooted using the old "motopocalypse/motochopper" exploit and was running CM10. I just want to get the phone back to stock and locked and use it as a good backup/travel phone.

If I flash the official KitKat firmware from the SBF site will that also lock and unroot? Thanks in advance for any help.

once unlocked, it can not be locked back that we are aware of, so, no.
and yes root will be gone.

iBolski

once unlocked, it can not be locked back that we are aware of, so, no.
and yes root will be gone.

But, because it's unlocked, you can still root it by sideloading via the CWM custom recovery.

You can just flash the latest FXZ which will flash you straight to Kit Kat. Get it from here:

http://sbf.droid-developers.org/phone.php?device=5

You want Android 4.4.2 Blur_Version.183.46.10.XT926.Verizon.en.US

You can use either RSDLite or SamuriHL's House of Moto to flash it.

bweN diorD

Jun 12, 2011
But, because it's unlocked, you can still root it by sideloading via the CWM custom recovery.

You can just flash the latest FXZ which will flash you straight to Kit Kat. Get it from here:

http://sbf.droid-developers.org/phone.php?device=5

You want Android 4.4.2 Blur_Version.183.46.10.XT926.Verizon.en.US

You can use either RSDLite or SamuriHL's House of Moto to flash it.

or this http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2474393

btw, he said he wanted it "stock", thats why i dint se it necessary to explain rooting.

Last edited:

Daniyal907

Jun 14, 2014
Phone Returned Fail

Failed Flashig Process 1/22 oem fb_mode_set > Phone Returned Fail OR when I Delete OEM Line then it's says usb error occurred while reading writing Plzzz Help

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Disclaimer:

/Disclaimer

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

4. At this point, I would recommend to download the firmware to the computer that will be used for the flashing (once the phone is detectable in RSD Lite, that is a good indication the computer can detect the phone, navigate to http://motofirmware.center and locate the correct firmware and version that should be loaded on the phone. If the firmware is not listed there, please put a request into the firmware team (supply the default.prop and build.prop files). They are pretty good with locating firmware! The firmware files are generally large (ranging anywhere between 200mb and 1500mb) so now would be a good time to top-up that phone charge (if possible). If it isn't possible to charge the phone, don't worry, the phone will automatically turn off if it doesn't detect a flashing process after a few minutes.

Flashing Time!
    Hi shredrex, I am also having the same problems and I want to flash back to rogers/fido 4.1.2. May I know where you got your files from? I would really appreciate it!!

I posted the wrong link in the original tutorial, thanks for flagging it.

Check this site : http://sbf.droid-developers.org/

Good luck!
    i´m trying to install the telcel firmware and also used 2 different computers with the lastest drivers and rds lite 6.1.4

I followed all the steps and doesn´t work for me I´ve got the next error

failed flashing process. unknown fastboot command getvar

Help me please :(

The firmware you downloaded has a .xml file in it. Remove the line with Getvar in it, and try to flash again.
    The firmware you downloaded has a .xml file in it. Remove the line with Getvar in it, and try to flash again.

Can we have this put into the tutorial please.

Also, as for the OP in general, thanks for putting this here; its not so clear elsewhere on this section of the forum and everything that is useful to a Motorola noob is specifically for the XT926... even the blog posts linked to. I had a lot of anxiety over trying this in the past because things as fundamental as this, concerning Motorola and these phones in particular as well, are scattered and disorganised in various places on the internet. Its frustrating and makes one want to shy away from trying things out for fear of not being able to return to stock or bricking their device. I come from an SGS2 which had no fastboot to worry about, for example, and even though the RAZR HD forum had few participants when I first got mine, there was still a lot to be confused about and to shy away from.
    download motorola fastboot under linux and flash the files from linux, its so much easier... theres a .bat file that shows you what files you have to flash in which order, etc...

http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1433815&d=1351300008