[Q] Is a "Hard reset" the same as a power cycle?

Search This thread

pdes

Aug 2, 2008
My Z1 will not work properly with my Garmin GPS. I need the GPS to manage calls when on a motorcycle. I really don't want to re-build my phone unless completely necessary (and especially not if there is an inherent compatibiliy issue!). So, I was wondering whether the hard reset using the "hidden" button was the same as powering off and on. If it's a deeper process, I'll give it a go and see whether my issues are resolved.

Thanks

romaha

Jun 25, 2010
Novosibirsk
Samsung Galaxy Watch 3
No, it justs turns the power off

Red button and power botton is not the same.
1. Red button doesn't properly shut down your phone (umount filesystems, wait for application finished correctly etc)
2. Red button make "deeper" shutdown. I find it when trying to fix problem with charging. No power button or power+vol combination helps, only red button do.

It seems like you cut off power cable on your computer, when red button pressed :)

gregbradley

Retired Forum Moderator
Red button and power botton is not the same.
1. Red button doesn't properly shut down your phone (umount filesystems, wait for application finished correctly etc)
2. Red button make "deeper" shutdown. I find it when trying to fix problem with charging. No power button or power+vol combination helps, only red button do.

It seems like you cut off power cable on your computer, when red button pressed :)

red button and volume + and power do the same thing

Its just like pulling the battery out.