[FLASHABLE ZIP] Google Gapps + Amazon AppShop - HDX 7", 8.9" (Thor, Apollo)

Search This thread
I don't know. I created a ROM slot, flashed the stock ROM that Hashcode has in his SafeStrap thread (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2556677), and then flashed the thor-gapps-installer that is on the OP of this thread. It looks from your screenshot that you don't have any of the amazon apps at all. Mine are still all there. You're definitely flashing the thor-gapps-installer from this thread and not the thor-gapps-rom that Cpasjuste did in the other thread? (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2585690)

your the best made my week I was using the original rom man o man thanks gmail and amazon apps fc who cares im sure it will work out wonderful thanks to all and especially you my friend:victory::victory::victory::victory::victory::victory::cool:

timstapl

Sep 20, 2012
any luck with kindle books?

Has anyone had any luck getting kindle books to work with this method?

My Amazon video, play store and google apps all seem to be working fine, but I cannot get the kindle reader app to launch, and there doesn't seem to be an obvious way of removing it to attempt installing it via the play store.

Thanks!

kschang

Dec 11, 2010
San Francisco, CA

My Amazon video, play store and google apps all seem to be working fine, but I cannot get the kindle reader app to launch, and there doesn't seem to be an obvious way of removing it to attempt installing it via the play store.

Thanks!

Rename it with ES or Root explorer, then download the Playstore one.

This will probably break the narration tool (i.e. text to speech)

EDIT: Not that simple. Amazon's package also installs Amazon CMS (DRM) so merely renaming the original APK means the app will download but errors out with "unknown error -24"

Last edited:

wc4usa

Nov 24, 2013
Samsung Galaxy S9
Moto G Power
Working Kindle reader app

Thanks!

I have 3 different ROM slots with various combinations of backups/HashCode's Amazon rom/ the GAPPS installer zip and/or the "lite" verrsion of the gapps installer -- and I've got the Kindle reader app working fine on all 3 with all my books -- by installing: Kindle ver. 4.2.0.54. A link to this can be found in the "Android Development/THOR/RECOVERY LOCKED..." forum -- post #126 by LinearEquation -- See: "If your Amazon apk's aren't working..." (Sorry, I can't link because I'm a noob.) There are also several references to this, I think, in the KF HD7 forums because "buggy" Amazon apps are not unique to HDX!

The newer (& newest) Kindle app on PlayStore will not work. Period. I happened to use CleanMaster to delete my stock/pre-installed Kindle reader (it deletes the data, folders, etc.) -- then installed the above-mentioned Kindle 4.2.0.54.apk. It asked me to register; I did, and now have all of my books. (btw:You won't get the Prime lending library with this.) On one of the successful installs I got one FC -- but a simple system reboot fixed that with no further issues.

ps; if you use this -- make sure auto-updates for Kindle is turned off in PlayStore -- or the issue will return.

Last edited:

stellafella74

Dec 26, 2013
Warwickshire
[FLASHABLE ZIP] Working Google Gapps ! (hdx 7")

Hi all I'm a newbie to this site and new to customizing my android device. I've got several but never felt the need to root till now. The kindle fire hdx has awesome specs its just a shame about the amazon bloatware. Ownership should give people the ability to customize anyway they want. being new to this I've been very careful as I've read alot of threads with people who have bricked their device. I followed android cowboys instructions on rooting and it went without any glitches so big thanks to him for all his hard work and I followed Cpasjuste instructions on flashing his rom. At first I had a couple of issues with gmail crashing also chrome crashed. I uninstalled them rebooted, reinstalled and rebooted again,that seemed to fix the problem and now chrome,gmail,playstore and google plus all work. I've also had problems with the screen rotation but only with certain apps and games so i can live with the screen lock fix. I also found after flashing the rom the app for the camera was missing,through trial and error I found the best app to be camera awesome,other camera apps I tried suffered from the screen rotation glitch. All in all I'm very pleased, I think this is as best it will get till the bootloader gets unlocked. Big thanks to android cowboy, Cpasjuste,Hashtag and anyone else that has given up their free time to benefit the rest of us.:highfive:

Reactions: Hanzo.Hasashi

kwmaeng91

Dec 21, 2013
It works great!!

It works great!! I appreciate your hard work:victory:

Got one question. Since now many part of the amazon is removed, will it block autoupdate? or should i install android firewall?

Thanks again for your good work!

presta24

Jan 5, 2014
Kindle app not working

Im more or less a noob here. My bro in law helped me to root. Then I installed safestrap and flashed the gapps myself. I can get into my gmail by opening the mail folder but not via the gmail app. My main concern is that my Kindle app will not open. So to read any of my books I have reboot in stock mode. Any ideas fellas? Also, not sure if it synced all my google info or not. Not all my apps are there.

Again thanks a lot! I was thinking of returning the HDX for the 2013 Nexus, now I dont have to!!!

Last edited:

tech6

Nov 20, 2011

My Kindle App isn't working either. However, the work around that allows me to read my Kindle books is an app called Aldiko. It will not allow access to your Kindle books unless you have placed them on your Kindle and not downloaded them or purchased them from Amazon. However, I did stumble across a fix that is a combination of something ec4USA offered and another member who I can't recall their name that may help you. Please visit my post here for more information:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=49318341 Post #24

HTH

Thanks!

Last edited:

Mineturtle33

Jan 15, 2013
Which apk is used to fix wallpapers and widgets? Can you attach them?

Sent from my 2013 Kindle Fire HD with Tapatalk

acesicillo

Jan 14, 2014
Black Screen

:confused:

I follow all instructions, but when install .zip from safestrap and wipe, the kindle puts in black screen and dont start!!!

:rolleyes:

Sj12345

May 22, 2012
Bakersfield
Question

Can i do this in stock rom? i dont want to install safestrap in my kindle. i just want to have google play working with downloads, i dont care amazon appstore

Install the gapps that I would use
Remove "/system/app/SetupWizard.apk" to bypass gapps welcome screen as it depends on stock "Settings.apk"
Remove "/system/app/MarketIntentProxy_1010.apk" (not sure if needed)
Replace "/system/framework/services.odex" with this one (recompiled with signature check disabled) : services.odex
Remove "/system/app/DownloadProvider.apk"
Remove "/system/app/DownloadProvider.odex"
Remove "/system/app/DownloadProviderUi.apk"
Remove "/system/app/DownloadProviderUi.odex"
Copy CM-10.1 DownloadProvider.apk to "/system/app/"
Copy CM-10.1 DownloadProviderUI.apk to "/system/app/"

that work?

mongoofy

Jan 15, 2014
Blargh... help please!

Hey all, hoping t figure out what I am doing wrong here - read this (and many more) entire thread(s) and keep hitting the same wall.

Rooted Kindle Fire HDX7 (bought xmas eve).Safestrap 3.70 TWRP v2.6.3.1
Rom slot stock, or any of the 4...

On installation get the following rundown (attached image).

Also have tried cm-10.1-20130812-UNOFFICIAL-jem and cm-11-20140107-UNOFFICIAL-tate - all to no prevail.

Gmail/Chat: mongoofii@gmail.com

Would LOVE to get this working for my self and my son ASAP.

Thanks so much.

Cpasjuste

Jun 8, 2007
I'v got a good news for you, i did success in getting kindle app shop and play store working together, on the stock download provider. Also The install process (which use my xposed module) will be easier and should work on both 7" and 8" hdx !

Edit : first post updated with the new procedure.

Last edited:
Reactions: damianlph and tech6

butman

Feb 10, 2011
I'v got a good news for you, i did success in getting kindle app shop and play store working together, on the stock download provider. Also The install process (which use my xposed module) will be easier and should work on both 7" and 8" hdx !

Edit : first post updated with the new procedure.

Glad that you try make it work for 8.9! I'm a little noob about safestrap and xposed stuff.

So the doubt i have is: I must install the Xposed Framework and the HDXPosed.apk on the Amazon mojito rom first, and then i go to safestrap and flash gapps?

Thanks!

Cpasjuste

Jun 8, 2007
Glad that you try make it work for 8.9! I'm a little noob about safestrap and xposed stuff.

So the doubt i have is: I must install the Xposed Framework and the HDXPosed.apk on the Amazon mojito rom first, and then i go to safestrap and flash gapps?

Thanks!

Yes that's it ! Just be sure to do all this on a safestrap ROM slot to prevent any brick.

Envoyé de mon KFTHWI en utilisant Tapatalk

holeshot77

Jul 11, 2008
Grimes, IA
When I create a new partition it is installing a new os, right? So I can stop trying to restore to that partition?

Also, what is good size for partition? I have the 8.9 64gb.

Sent from my G2 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    BE SURE TO PLAY ON A SAFESTRAP ROM

Here is how to "easily" install Google Apps (gapps) on our HDX devices (tested on 7", should work on 8.9").
    This procedure will keep all amazon app services working, thanks to an Xposed module.

Installation

Informations
    • thor-gapps-installer-*.zip is just stock jb gapps with "welcomescreen.apk" removed and stock launcher added if needed
    • all work is done in HDXPosed module, more information on the HDXPosed thread

Download

Installed on Stock Rom Working

For anyone who wants to know. I have a 32GB Kindle HDX 8.9. I rooted my kindle then used KindleFree to install google services. I installed the XPosed mod without safestrap and everything is working without issues. I have not had a single problem with mine. All google apps including google hangouts and google+ work. I have not tried gmail as I prefer the default mail client so I have not installed gmail and I probably wont but everything else is working.

Edit: I forgot to mention that all of the amazon services are working as well. I can download and install apps from both the playstore and the amazon store, watch movies, download books, download and listen to music and download documents. I haven't had any problems with any services for amazon or google not working. The only unknown for me is gmail but like I said earlier I prefer the default mail client so I have not tried gmail.
    When you say stock do you mean the unrooted one?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda app-developers app

*sigh*

When you first install safestrap recovery, and boot into it, it will stay very clearly that you're dealing with STOCK ROM (and recovery robot at the boot menu will be RED, not green). That means you're MUCKING WITH STOCK ROM, not a "copy" of a ROM (i.e. safestrap).

In order NOT to muck with stock ROM (i.e. live your life on the edge), you "backup" the stock ROM, create a ROM slot (probably 1, name it "mod test1 or whatever) restore your backup into it, and activate that so you from now on boot into the COPY of your ROM. Then you can flash, edit, distort, or multilate your ROM... and as long as you can get into safestrap recovery, you can simply reset the ROM slot by loading a backup, and you're back in 5 minutes. And your "stock ROM" (rooted, but unmodified) will stay UNTOUCHED.

Got that? :)
    Sounds like there's no way to keep Amazon services working while allowing Play store downloads to work. I'm a huge Amazon spender and prime customer so it'd be nice to have it working alongside Play store without resorting to rebooting to different rom slots.
    Currently uploading the flashable zip !

One problem with it tough, gmail is not working anymore, something to do with the sync service ... while it work fine on my initial rom ! Can't understand but will probably find later ... in the meanwhile it can be used to test play store.

zip uploaded and first post updated !