[GUIDE] The Generic SD Issue (READ FIRST)

Search This thread

Aqua1ung

Jun 17, 2010
Sorry guys, no more SD cards for yours truly. I will always spring for the phone with the biggest storage, however much it may cost. You get what you pay for.

Reactions: KingAmir

gigeaky

Apr 18, 2010
Exmouth
I'm sorry if this was posted but I didn't had the patience to read all 5 pages (ignorant I know) but I experienced a total wipe of my sd card out of the blue a couple of months ago and I lost everything... It just happened, I didn't do anything it was lying on my desk. I'm not asking for anything just saying... Never heard of anything like this before...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

bojanbl

Feb 5, 2010
How can I find out is my SD card gone for good? I tried dozens of options, card readers, phones, usb card reader and not a single sing of life of SD card. There is no any sign of SD cadrd in windows and in device manager, neither in Ubuntu... Is there any option to revive it? (I have - had :( - 32GB SanDisk Ultra microsd)

Last edited:

hb-kevin

Jun 21, 2009
I happen to work in a Sprint store as a repair tech. One thing I can definitely say has worked in fixing many micro SD cards is cleaning the contacts with denatured alcohol. It's a cleaning alcohol that is perfectly safe on electronics such as computers, motherboards, and phone parts. If all else fails, try giving the contacts a gentle scrub with some alcohol and a soft toothbrush.

BloodSkin

May 17, 2011
This thread has been created to address the hundreds of "Ma SD Don't Work" Threads spawned in the Accessories forum. After seeing and answering many of these, I though it would be appropriate to simply create a thread for this.​

Almost 80% of all of these defective SD card threads have common solutions. I will list these below.

1) A corrupt SD card:

2) Dirty Contacts:

3) Corrupt Data:

4) Casing:

5) The "Write Protected" Issue

Please hit thanks if you found this useful.
Please read this before posting another SD thread.

If any further help is required, please leave it down below.

EDIT: Thanks to Cooleagle for making this a sticky. Because of the stick, many more people will see this first and not have to create a thread.

very nice. bookmarked this just in case.

kind of on topic, heres a little bit of info for a little less common problem that is still somewhat related to this post http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1908466

CoolApps

May 12, 2011
Depending on which type of corruption if it is missing all it's partitions then you can fix it fully.
I managed to get mine working by doing it using a card reader since the built in one will not detect it due to the partitions.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

aakashasaj

Mar 20, 2012
Surat
Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra
A lot of people have sd card issue and most mite end up buying a new card.
I was too having a sandisk 8gb (w/o warranty, and i guess was duplicate) sdcard which was courrupted within 2 months, tried a lot of things but everything failed,
so i decided to buy a new sdcard,
But this time i took dual care and time before buying a new sd card and found this i.e

A card with "5" year manufacture warranty.
"5 year" is like "god" is like more than enough.
There is a company
http://www.strontium.biz/
1)Provides 5 year warrnty even on 2gb card
2)Service center are located in most of the areas of world. (Check the site for your location)
3) And price is almost same and sometimes even less than other companies.
4 )Available through most of online shopping sites (or check main site for where to buy details)
5) the product is so immune that after a rough use its working well and fine.
So all your worry about using a expensive sdcard with 10 times care would be gone away.

Also please see:
This is posted just for help and knowledge sharing, no intendent to do ad or anything.

Sent using xda premium
Phone: Galaxy mini gt 5570
Rom: Cm 10.1
Card: storium 8 gb
Class: 4

mmrakk

May 20, 2013
Prague
8GB microSDHC vs Nokia 3120 classic which support only microSD

i just bought sandisk 8gb second-hand from my neioghbour.. its has been format before sold to me.. but i put in my nokia 3120 classic, the microSD not detected.. i already copy about 3gb song and pics (that assumed the microSD detected on my PC). when i told my neighbour and put in his phone, it detected.. and again when i put it back to my phone (that nokia).. agan it not detected..
are the microSD is damaged or my phone who can't read the size of the microSD ??

Sandisk 8GB microSDHC versus Nokia 3120 classic which support only microSD format (up to 4GB - 2 GB and 4 GB cards use larger block sizes and may not be compatible with some host devices) >> NOT COMPATIBLE end of story.

penguinjoe

Mar 16, 2012
Toronto
Need to add one more to your list OP. This is one that bit me in the ass the last time I tried to move to CM 10.1

Format incompatibility. CM 10.1 does not support the exFAT or NTFS filesystems required to make effective use of SDCards >32GB.

Let me explain:

SDXC MicrosSD cards now come in capacities over 64GB and, as shipped, phones like the Samsung Galaxy S4 supports them in hardware and software.

Capacities of over 32GB are very trouble-prone when using the mroe common FAT32 file system found on lower capacity SDcards. Worse, Windows absolutely refuses to format a +64GB SDCard to FAT32. Samsung (and I am sure other vendors that support 64GB SDCards) have licensed Microsoft's exFAT filesystem to legally provide support for exFAT. However CyanogenMod does not have this licensing in place and Google does nto provide blanket licensing for it.

This is a royal pain to those of us that have a 64GB SDCard in our Sammy GS4s, but want to move to SM10.1 or related rom. This leaves either reformatting your +64GB SDCard as FAT32 using a third party utility OR downsizing to a 32GB SDCard if you want to run anything except the bloated, OEM-branded, as-shipped ROM.

RebDovid

64GB SDXC MicrosSD sporadically unavailable

I have a sporadically unavailable 64GB SanDisk SDXC MicrosSD. Generally, when it becomes unavailable, that is, when the phone is unable to "see" the card or its contents, restarting the phone again makes it available. But sooner or later it again becomes unavailable.

I tried wiping the card with a microfiber cloth. When I reinserted it in my phone, it wasn't seen. Restarting the phone made it available.

My phone is a Galaxy S3 running Stockorama version2 with 4.1.2. The same problem existed, however, on my previous ROM.

juniorr7710

Nov 4, 2010
New York
This thread has been created to address the hundreds of "Ma SD Don't Work" Threads spawned in the Accessories forum. After seeing and answering many of these, I though it would be appropriate to simply create a thread for this.​

Almost 80% of all of these defective SD card threads have common solutions. I will list these below.

1) A corrupt SD card:

2) Dirty Contacts:

3) Corrupt Data:

4) Casing:

EDIT: Thanks to Cooleagle for making this a sticky. Because of the stick, many more people will see this first and not have to create a thread.

Could read anywhere here is this issue was covered, i dropped my galaxy, phone suffered no scratches but SD card is unreadable now. I tried it in my laptop as well an still unreadable... any assistance much appreciated, thanks

KopiJahe

Jun 25, 2010
Pasuruan
Need to add one more to your list OP. This is one that bit me in the ass the last time I tried to move to CM 10.1

Format incompatibility. CM 10.1 does not support the exFAT or NTFS filesystems required to make effective use of SDCards >32GB.

Let me explain:

SDXC MicrosSD cards now come in capacities over 64GB and, as shipped, phones like the Samsung Galaxy S4 supports them in hardware and software.

Capacities of over 32GB are very trouble-prone when using the mroe common FAT32 file system found on lower capacity SDcards. Worse, Windows absolutely refuses to format a +64GB SDCard to FAT32. Samsung (and I am sure other vendors that support 64GB SDCards) have licensed Microsoft's exFAT filesystem to legally provide support for exFAT. However CyanogenMod does not have this licensing in place and Google does nto provide blanket licensing for it.

This is a royal pain to those of us that have a 64GB SDCard in our Sammy GS4s, but want to move to SM10.1 or related rom. This leaves either reformatting your +64GB SDCard as FAT32 using a third party utility OR downsizing to a 32GB SDCard if you want to run anything except the bloated, OEM-branded, as-shipped ROM.
You can use SD Association's SDFormatter to format your SDCard to it's "factory state"

Reactions: Boldy72

gamepois0n

Mar 1, 2013
so useful :D I had kept a broken SD card that contains some important info, see if this guide might help me bring it back :D

butla

Nov 22, 2008
It's worth a try.

Ok so this may get long winded but stay with it, it may be worth it.
I had 3 x 32gig cards 'fail' and I thought this can't be right. I noticed that sometimes when I rebooted the phone the SD would be OK and then a short time after the phone would say it couldn't see it again and it needed to be reformated. So it was intermittant. Even in the PC it would sometimes be seen and other times not. So I started to look for a pattern. The SD started out fine until I put them in the PC to transfere data files music etc. A short time after that they would start to play up and 'fail' saying they needed to be reformated when back in the phone. But as mentioned I could sometimes get them to work again. If you have exprience this type of behaviour try the following.
Keep trying to put the SD into a PC until it does read, I had to use different usb slots with an adapter but eventually they do read, then back it up. Then reformat the SD using SD Formatter 4.0 at www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4
Then reload the SD with your backed up files. I had 3 x SD fail in 4 weeks. I used this method with 1 of the failed SD's and it has worked without issue for 3 months. I then did it to the other 2 SD's and have both of them running in my Note 10.1 and Acer 501. I suspect my issues were related to some structure change in the SD when I put them in the PC but I haven't had an issue since using this format tool. I don't know weather it is just pure luck but it did work for me.
Try it and see if it does help your issues, if so please just hit thanks - I would be interested to see how many had the same issues and this helped.
Thanks for reading.

Last edited by a moderator:

ftkatyowser

Mar 19, 2013
I have a unique issue ("unique" meaning that I can't find anything on it anywhere, but I'm probably not looking hard enough). I have a 32gb sandisk microsd, and I was using it in my tablet for a while before it suddenly unmounted. I put it in a reader for my computer, but it doesn't mount at all- doesn't even show up in disk management. The only thing keeping me from scrapping and saying "corrupt data" is that when I put it in my tablet (galaxy tab 2 plus) it says "sd card blank or has unsupported file system" and then unmounts the card. Same thing happens if I just hit "mount sd card" in the storage menu. My s3 is in the same boat as the computer, it does not see the card at all (or is unmounting the card faster than I can see). I have a good amount of data I would like, none life-threatening but I would like to fix this card if I can.

corvaxmuzzy

Jul 30, 2012
I have a unique issue... I would like to fix this card if I can.

It sounds like the disk has become partially corrupted. Your situation sounds like a good candidate for simple data recovery. My favourite apps are Lsoft's Active@Disk, Paragon's programs, and Easus's programs. There are also free programs, such as Recuva and PC INSPECTOR Smart Recovery. You can get them from MajorGeeks.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Kingston said:
    995193720208439342.jpg

1) A corrupt SD card:
    Deftone said:
    SD cards, especially the Micro SD generation can be damaged very easily if you are not careful. Any physical damage to the card will or the gold contacts will cause it to become unreadable. You know your card is corrupt when the computer cannot explore the card. SD cards can be damaged by forcing them out of the device they are in. If your SD card has become stuck in your computer, camera, MP3 player or printer.

It is best to take the device to a professional to have it removed, rather than trying to force the card from the device using probes, such as paperclips or screwdrivers. If the casing for your SD card becomes damaged or you accidentally damage the inside of your card, you could lose the data currently stored on the card and render the card useless in the future. Also, once it is corrupt, you cannot even sell it for parts or use it as a paperweight because of its low weight.
    2) Dirty Contacts:
    Deftone said:
    If the gold contacts are dirty in anyway, this will mean the device will not be able to read it. Using a finger can scratch the contacts and make it corrupt. Instead use a cloth, microfiber if you have one. The reader, (device) will also accumulate dust over time. Clean out the reader with an earbud. This may also solve this issue.
    ADDITIONAL: Thanks to hb-kevin for mentioning that you can " clean the contacts with denatured alcohol. It's a cleaning alcohol that is perfectly safe on electronics such as computers, motherboards, and phone parts. If all else fails, try giving the contacts a gentle scrub with some alcohol and a soft toothbrush. "
    3) Corrupt Data:
    Deftone said:
    Removing an SD card from a computer without properly ejecting it can cause software damage to the card. Removing your SD card while your computer is trying to read it or removing the card from a camera or MP3 player that is powered on could cause your SD card to lose the data that is stored on it and force you to reformat the card before using it again. Many tools can be found online to help you with this pursuit.

4) Casing:
    Deftone said:
    SD cards are enclosed in a small plastic casing that can be easily damaged if the card is left unprotected in a pocket, chewed on by the dog or stepped on. If the casing for your SD card has become damaged, do not put the card into a device (it might become stuck). Instead, take the card to a data recovery center in your area and have a professional recover any files you might need from the card.

Deftone said:
    On many SD cards (not many micro) there is a physical switch on the side of the card. This is a write lock. This means that if the switch is up and locked, the sd will refuse any data trying to be written to it. As a result, no data will be copied to the card - if it is in a computer, you will get a popup dialogue notifying you that it is write protected, just flick the switch.

The write protection could have also been enabled in a computer. To disable it, just right click on the SD in my computer and then click properties. Then go to attributes. If "read only" is checked, uncheck it. This could be the source of your problems.

Looks like a nice guide buddy, has been made a sticky.

Keep up the good work & Cheers ! :)

Let me explain:

Nice guide maby we need it to stickied. :D

Sent from my LG-P999 using xda premium

Thanks for taking the time to read it. I have PM'd cooleagle the mod but nothing yet. If I still have nothing by tonight, I will PM another mod because cooleagle might be too busy.
    Not possible

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk