Easy way how to improve 3G(2G) troughput

Search This thread

Stimpoff

Oct 30, 2006
Prague
UPDATE: it seems that for some users is needed to do two reboots after each change of prop file.

It seems that is work for most users with rom based on DRC83. It seems that works in US and EU region. Therefore I decided to start separate thread (something was discussed in cyanogen's thread).
I tested it on cyanogen 4.2.7.1 but it should work with other ROMs too. I think that improvement is depedent on presence of HSUPA feature in your network.
Try it and let us to know....

Comparison video - two G1 simultaneously (sorry for poor quality-Nokia)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bskKwh2xBXs

I have found that my cyan G1 is much slower in uplink in 3G network than official TMO EU G1. Same radio but "primary band" (phone info menu) was different....
Cyan (and other US ROMS):
62.50S.20.17H_2.22.1.26l
TMO EU:
62.50S.20.17U_2.22.1.26l

I found difference in build.trout.prop (build.prop - TMO) which make this difference.

Cyan (TMO US):
ro.ril.hsxpa=1
ro.ril.gprsclass=10
TMO EU:
ro.ril.hsxpa=2
ro.ril.gprsclass=12

I changed values in build.trout.prop.... TADAAA
62.50S.20.17U_2.22.1.26l is showed in phone info. Uplink is almost three times faster. It seems that is some improvement in EDGE too (gprsclass).

THEORY:
US ROMS has disabled HSUPA feature.
ro.ril.hsxpa=0 - UMTS r99
ro.ril.hsxpa=1 - HSDPA
ro.ril.hsxpa=2 - HSDPA/HSUPA

script which apply all stuff (thanks cloverdale)
note: script use cyanogen build.trout.prop
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=5081309&postcount=7036

or

1) adb pull /system/build.trout.prop build.trout.prop
2) edit with notepad++ (or other unix format capable editor)
3) adb remount
4) adb push build.trout.prop /system/build.trout.prop
5) reboot

in on other roms change build.trout.prop to build.sapphire.prop or build.prop depending which one your ROM using

Last edited:

docsparks

Aug 28, 2009
www.dcombl.com
I have **** upload speeds. And my buddy at his house, has really really slow 3g speeds, in some area its fast for him, but at his home, it sucks.

Ill try this right meow.
:holds breath:

chingy1788

Apr 17, 2009
Hmm Interesting...

Isnt HSUPA for uploads?
so it will only affect upload speeds?

but I'll give it a try anyway

Nedlinin

Apr 13, 2009
Huntsville, AL
It seems that is work for most users therefore I decided to start separate thread (something was discussed in cyanogen's thread).

I have found that my cyan G1 is much slower in uplink in 3G network than official TMO EU G1. Same radio but "primary band" (phone info menu) was different....
62.50S.20.17H_2.22.1.26l
TMO EU:
62.50S.20.17U_2.22.1.26l

I found difference in build.trout.prop (build.prop - TMO) which make this difference.

Cyan (TMO US):
ro.ril.hsxpa=1
ro.ril.gprsclass=10
TMO EU:
ro.ril.hsxpa=2
ro.ril.gprsclass=12

62.50S.20.17U_2.22.1.26l is showed in phone info. Uplink is almost three times faster. It seems that is some improvement in EDGE too (gprsclass).

THEORY:
ro.ril.hsxpa=1 - HSDPA

So is this a European mod only? You say you were slower than the TMO Eu release. Im assuming its because of a different wireless frequency used? Not really sure.. more info would be great..

Also, which Cyan builds do this apply to? Only the newest or all of them? Good info to have in the first post!

Stimpoff

Oct 30, 2006
Prague
So is this a European mod only? You say you were slower than the TMO Eu release. Im assuming its because of a different wireless frequency used? Not really sure.. more info would be great..

Also, which Cyan builds do this apply to? Only the newest or all of them? Good info to have in the first post!

I updated first post little bit. I posted this yesterday in cyan thread and US users confirmed improvement what was for me quite supriesing. I expected improvement for EU users with canogen mod (or other US based mod).

chingy1788

Apr 17, 2009
Ok...
for people in Australia on the Three Network...

2 bar reception

No mod:
Download:
123kbit/s, 246kbit/s (Max)
Upload:
88kbit/s, 115kbit/s (Max)

With Mod:
Download:
308kbit/s, 308kbit/s (Max)
Upload:
114kbit/s, 115kbit/s (Max)

So theres some improvement

Tested using Xtremelabs Speedtest app

docsparks

Aug 28, 2009
www.dcombl.com
No change for me, my uplink speed actually dropped a tiny bit.

before:
dl: .59mbps
ul: .41mbps

after:
dl: .55mbps
ul: .37mbps

edit*
also used speedtest.net, and full bars

Last edited:

mr_deimos

Nov 22, 2007
Wow, nice find :)
It did improve 3G speed for me, however not exactly the way i expected - there was only a slight change in upload speed, but a big change in download speeds.
And some numbers showing the change (speed measured with speedtest.net app from market).
Before modification:
d/l [kbps] u/l[kbps]
1340 101
1310 100
1494 106

And after the modification:
d/l [kbps] u/l[kbps]
4025 138
3738 137
3523 138

To keep the test reasonably accurate the phone was just sitting on the desk in exactly the same place during both tests. I did't have full signal reception though so upload speeds may be even higher in places with better 3g coverage.
Doing the modification doesn't seem to break anything and is childishly simple - i just used root mode in Estrongs file explorer to edit the file. In my opinion is worth a shot, especially for those from europe (US roms probably have this disabled for a reason).

LucidREM

Jan 18, 2009
Baltimore
www.lucidrem.us
build.prop

Cyan (TMO US):
ro.ril.hsxpa=1
ro.ril.gprsclass=10
TMO EU:
ro.ril.hsxpa=2
ro.ril.gprsclass=12

THEORY:
ro.ril.hsxpa=1 - HSDPA

i have seen differences:

US_DREAM:
ro.ril.hsxpa=1
ro.ril.gprsclass=10

US_SAPPHIRE:
ro.ril.hsxpa=2
ro.ril.gprsclass=10

not sure if that directs anyone .. but those are the OTA settings on unmodified phones

Stimpoff

Oct 30, 2006
Prague
Wow, nice find :)
It did improve 3G speed for me, however not exactly the way i expected - there was only a slight change in upload speed, but a big change in download speeds.
And some numbers showing the change (speed measured with speedtest.net app from market).
Before modification:
d/l [kbps] u/l[kbps]
1340 101
1310 100
1494 106

And after the modification:
d/l [kbps] u/l[kbps]
4025 138
3738 137
3523 138

To keep the test reasonably accurate the phone was just sitting on the desk in exactly the same place during both tests. I did't have full signal reception though so upload speeds may be even higher in places with better 3g coverage.
Doing the modification doesn't seem to break anything and is childishly simple - i just used root mode in Estrongs file explorer to edit the file. In my opinion is worth a shot, especially for those from europe (US roms probably have this disabled for a reason).

Hmm, interesting
your network operator obviously doesn't have HSUPA
my speed was before
2100/340
now
2700/900
BUT I have opportunity to test it in empy cell... in brand new network.
Therefore I tried to find out why was uplink so slow.
BTW: prewious .23 radio has better troughputs than .26I in "H" mode

MontAlbert

Jan 10, 2007
i tried it on my sapphire using build.sapphire.prop and maybe it worked, maybe its a placebo.... who knows- i posted the modified script in the sapphire forums.

DanFarva

Mar 2, 2007
Kansas City, MO
Confirmed improvement here. G1 - CM4.2.7.1

3 Bars signal

Before:
522/151
551/139

After:
1013/152
982/147

Used the Xtremelabs app to test

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    UPDATE: it seems that for some users is needed to do two reboots after each change of prop file.

It seems that is work for most users with rom based on DRC83. It seems that works in US and EU region. Therefore I decided to start separate thread (something was discussed in cyanogen's thread).
    I tested it on cyanogen 4.2.7.1 but it should work with other ROMs too. I think that improvement is depedent on presence of HSUPA feature in your network.
    Try it and let us to know....

Comparison video - two G1 simultaneously (sorry for poor quality-Nokia)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bskKwh2xBXs

62.50S.20.17H_2.22.1.26l
    TMO EU:
    62.50S.20.17U_2.22.1.26l

Cyan (TMO US):
    ro.ril.hsxpa=1
    ro.ril.gprsclass=10
    TMO EU:
    ro.ril.hsxpa=2
    ro.ril.gprsclass=12

THEORY:
    ro.ril.hsxpa=1 - HSDPA

or

1) adb pull /system/build.trout.prop build.trout.prop
    2) edit with notepad++ (or other unix format capable editor)
    3) adb remount
    4) adb push build.trout.prop /system/build.trout.prop
    5) reboot

in on other roms change build.trout.prop to build.sapphire.prop or build.prop depending which one your ROM using
    to summarize this...
    This mod could help in areas with at least 7,2Mbit HSDPA in downlink
    Definitely improve uplink in HSUPA area - without this mod isn't possible to break 380kbit barrier

It will not help in case that you are blocked by operator's QOS (throtling, shaping)
    It will not help in interfered areas.

Don't expect miracles in case your operator doesn't have sufficient technology.

From previous post is visible that somebody experiencing huge improvement, somebody slight, somebody non improvement and some few degradation.

Again this mod isn't an miracle which will improve 3G speed beyond operator's capabilities. It just enable higher coding schemes on your phone, that's all.