[ROM] Galaxy Player 5.0 INTL (YP-G70) - Stock/Rooted/rj Kernel

Search This thread

njguyc

Jan 2, 2012
If you want lagfix, you should use my other ROM. As you already experienced, if you lagfix a stock ROM, you may not have sufficient space to put everything back in because of extra overhead of ext4. If you really want to do that, you need to remove some system apps to free up sufficient space.

Is there any reason you want this stock ROM vs the WT ROM in the other thread? The stock ROM in this thread is more for a simple base for people to do all the modding they want. So, I don't plan to add any non-stock features except the kernel and root.

But for the WT ROM, I will add whenever I see fits (or I actually use ;)).

Since our YP-G70 is not a phone, I usually turn it off when not using it. So I prefer a odexed rom which will give a faster bootup. But your WT rom is deodexed. In one of your post, you mentioned can move some system apps (e.g. flash, map) to user apps in rooted stock rom using TB pro, is it safe? Also I wish to know whether any advantage using "integrate update to rom" (for system apps) in TB?
BTW. Many thanks for ur help on GPS tweak, my GPS fix in 10-15sec now!

Last edited:

WT Ho

Jul 4, 2011
Since our YP-G70 is not a phone, I usually turn it off when not using it. So I prefer a odexed rom which will give a faster bootup. But your WT rom is deodexed. In one of your post, you mentioned can move some system apps (e.g. flash, map) to user apps in rooted stock rom using TB pro, is it safe? Also I wish to know whether any advantage using "integrate update to rom" (for system apps) in TB?
BTW. Many thanks for ur help on GPS tweak, my GPS fix in 10-15sec now!

Actually deodexed ROM will only experience boot delay on first boot after a Dalvik cache wipe. As you use your device, the Dalvik cache will be rebuilt, which has similar effect as odexing the ROM. Therefore, after some regular uses, your boot time will be on par with odexed ROM.

Would you mind sharing what you have change in the gps.conf in the end? I wonder what setting in gps.conf is the most important one.

As for using TB. It is usually safe to move system apps that can be found on the market. Actually, if an system app can be found on the Market, you can delete the system app using TB and install the one from market (it is less likely to run into trouble). "Integrate update to ROM" may or may not reduce system space. All system apps cannot be uninstalled or updated (technically speaking). When an update is available, say for Google Map, Android will not remove the old version under your system directory, but instead in will install the update as user app. If you integrate the update into the ROM, TB will actually install the update version back in the system directory. So, it may or may not free up extra space depending on the size of the new version.

Last edited:

njguyc

Jan 2, 2012
HI
Actually deodexed ROM will only experience boot delay on first boot after a Dalvik cache wipe. As you use your device, the Dalvik cache will be rebuilt, which has similar effect as odexing the ROM. Therefore, after some regular uses, your boot time will be on par with odexed ROM.

Would you mind sharing what you have change in the gps.conf in the end? I wonder what setting in gps.conf is the most important one.

As for using TB. It is usually safe to move system apps that can be found on the market. Actually, if an system app can be found on the Market, you can delete the system app using TB and install the one from market (it is less likely to run into trouble). "Integrate update to ROM" may or may not reduce system space. All system apps cannot be uninstalled or updated (technically speaking). When an update is available, say for Google Map, Android will not remove the old version under your system directory, but instead in will install the update as user app. If you integrate the update into the ROM, TB will actually install the update version back in the system directory. So, it may or may not free up extra space depending on the size of the new version.

Thanks WT, I have tried different tweaks in the beginning. Finally end up with quite a simple one:
NTP_SERVER=nz.pool.ntp.org
XTRA_SERVER_1=http://xtra1.gpsonextra.net/xtra.bin
XTRA_SERVER_2=http://xtra2.gpsonextra.net/xtra.bin
XTRA_SERVER_3=http://xtra3.gpsonextra.net/xtra.bin
SUPL_HOST=supl.google.com
SUPL_PORT=7276
DEBUG_LEVEL=0
INTERMEDIATE_POS=0

For curiosity, I changed back to original one yesterday and found there's actually no difference. Now I have fix 10-15sec with original conf (testing with GPS essentials from Market). If I use Sygic, I can have immediate fix. I doubt GPS might have learning function bcoz once you used more, it had a quicker fix. The 1st time I used it with your rom, no fix over 3 min, that's why I started to look for some tweaks.But I am sure PFGPS v2.0 not working on my device (no fix at all). I checked their conf and found it was for A-GPS device.

Edit:Why integration of apps to rom take so long? I tried Market but lost patient finally (manually stopped it after 5min). After reboot, Market showed a strange interface. Tried TB restore of Market (app+data), but never end (>5min, have to manually stop again).

Found TB pro (my version is 4.7.6) can only restore data not apps (if restore any apps, never finish). But same version on my smartphone works fine. Does it have the same issue as XDA app which need to return a value etc? Have you got TB restore app function working on your device? I noticed that everytime I open TB, it always shows a system conf warning msg as attached (no matter I ticked debug or not), push ok and it started (there's no problem of backup though). Not sure whether it is related to the restore function. If it is not rom related, I may start a new thread in general area.

Attachments

• SC20120219-000145.jpg
    SC20120219-000145.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 372
Last edited:

njguyc

Jan 2, 2012
Possible to cook some mods using UOT Kitchen

Hi WT, is there any problem if I want to cook battery mod (add % only) via UOT kitchen with only 1M free space left in rom? Have you tried with this odexed rom?

WT Ho

Jul 4, 2011
Hi WT, is there any problem if I want to cook battery mod (add % only) via UOT kitchen with only 1M free space left in rom? Have you tried with this odexed rom?

That's 'probably' good enough. UOT kitchen works with odexed rom as well. However before you do these modding, please make sure you do a backup in CWM Recovery first. If you have a backup, it is actually very harmless to try UOT. The worst can happen is boot loop, but you should still be able to go back to recovery mode and restore your system.

I have seen way too many people on this forum crying for help because they didn't do a backup. So, always do a backup first.

Reactions: njguyc

njguyc

Jan 2, 2012
Thanks, done successfully! See screen shot

Attachments

• SC20120223-215410.jpg
    SC20120223-215410.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 433

njguyc

Jan 2, 2012
I have now moved Gmail and Gmap to user apps, and got 12 M space, have lagfix now (change to ext4, still >6M left), really cool!

Sent from my YP-G70 using xda premium

xrayA4T

Aug 5, 2005
Joburg
Compass Spinning

Hi, I've installed the latest version of this but the compass just spins erratically. I never tested the stock Froyo kernel compass so I don't know if it is a hardware issue but I've read there is a gingerbread compass bug. Has anyone else had this issue and is there a fix?

WT Ho

Jul 4, 2011
Hi, I've installed the latest version of this but the compass just spins erratically. I never tested the stock Froyo kernel compass so I don't know if it is a hardware issue but I've read there is a gingerbread compass bug. Has anyone else had this issue and is there a fix?

People seems to be complaining about the compass bug on gingerbread all over the place. So far, I don't see a good solution yet. Hopefully, Samsung or Google will get it fixed upstream in next release.

njguyc

Jan 2, 2012
Hi WT, KPL is out, could you pls update?

Sent from my YP-G70 using xda premium

matacc

Sep 13, 2010
varaždin
so its not important which androids is on device,i have 2.3.6. and i have read somewhere that root for gingerbread is a little bit more complicated,i just want to root it for some application,thanks

michaelga67

Dec 5, 2012
hi i just baught the 5.0 international player of ebay and it still has firmware 2,2 and i want it rooted i have been doing a lot of reading and by flashing this G70XXKPH-rooted-rj14 seams the easiest option for me for now the only question and it is poss a silly one should i have my sd card mounted or on mounted when i flash the player and dose the recovery get installed on the player or is it installed on external mounted sd one last question can your card be formated in ntfs or dose it have to be fat32 for to be compatible for this player sorry for being such a noob to all this but there is so much information on this forum you can sometimes get lost looking for simple answers:confused::confused:

Munemasa

hi i just baught the 5.0 international player of ebay and it still has firmware 2,2 and i want it rooted i have been doing a lot of reading and by flashing this G70XXKPH-rooted-rj14 seams the easiest option for me for now the only question and it is poss a silly one should i have my sd card mounted or on mounted when i flash the player and dose the recovery get installed on the player or is it installed on external mounted sd one last question can your card be formated in ntfs or dose it have to be fat32 for to be compatible for this player sorry for being such a noob to all this but there is so much information on this forum you can sometimes get lost looking for simple answers:confused::confused:
You can take the sd card off if you are afraid of data loss when you wipe it, but you can install the new ROM with it inside. It must be FAT32.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    These are custom ROMs for International Galaxy Player 5.0 with minimum modifications. What you get is essentially a stock gingerbread ROM, rooted plus the custom kernel (including CWM) from rumirand.

News and Status
    [04/19/2012]Added a rooted XXKPH ROM.
    [01/27/2012]Updated to include rj's r10 kernel. (better battery life :D)

G70XXKPH-rooted-rj14
    • Based on G70XXKPH stock ROM (Thanks tapioco2000 for providing the stock ROM)
    • Rooted
    • rumirand's custom kernel r14 (see this thread for information about the kernel)
    • CWM-based Recovery v5.0.2.7 (included in rumirand's kernel)
    • Supported locale: English, many EU languages & Korean

G70XXKPF-rooted-rj10
    • Based on G70XXKPF stock ROM
    • Rooted
    • rumirand's custom kernel r10 (see this thread for information about the kernel)
    • Supported locale: English, many EU languages & Korean

G70ZSKP8-rooted-rj10
    • Based on G70ZSKP8 stock ROM
    • Rooted
    • rumirand's custom kernel r10 (see this thread for information about the kernel)
    • Supported locale: English, Chinese (Simplified/Traditional/HK) & Korean (Interesting, no Japanese?)

Previous Versions
    G70XXKP8-rooted-rj8 (alternative download link, thanks to Rueben_)
    G70ZSKP8-rooted-rj8

How to flash?
    1. Full wipe
    2. Flash using Odin (if you are not sure how to use Odin, do some research about this first)
    3. Restart and you are good to go

Will it work on my Galaxy Player?

• Galaxy Player 5.0 International (with a physical home button) WORK
    • Galaxy Player 5.0 US (without physical home button) DO NOT WORK
    • Galaxy Player 3.6, 4.0 (US or International) DO NOT WORK

Acknowledgement
    Actually I did very little to create this ROM. All credits should go to rumirand and Entropy512 who make the custom kernel and CWM possible. If I miss anyone, just let me know.

Disclaimer
    I am not an experienced Android developer and this is my first ROM ever, so don't expect much from me if you run into problems. And I am not responsible for any damage done to your device.
    Our first rom for this device? Brilliant thanks, do you plan on doing tweaks in the future to the ROM e.g. making it faster etc. I will try this now and post feed back later :)

Hers the multi upload link for more choice on were to download.

http://www.multiupload.com/TWIVKOS0KO

EDIT: ROM does not boot up stuck on the Samsung splash screen. :(

Have you wipe the cache partition and do a factory reset? If there is old user setting in data partition, it can cause unexpected behavior.

I can do some small tweaks if it doesn't need to go too deep into the system, no guarantee though. Many new features will come from rumirand's kernel actually. e.g. lag-fix should come fairly soon.
    Have you wipe the cache partition and do a factory reset? If there is old user setting in data partition, it can cause unexpected behavior.

I can do some small tweaks if it doesn't need to go too deep into the system, no guarantee though. Many new features will come from rumirand's kernel actually. e.g. lag-fix should come fairly soon.
    Forgot about that im new to Samsung and Odin, thought it did it for you. Ive just wiped Dalvik cache, wipe data and cache partitions and its WORKED thank you. :)
    Later I will create a full recovery for those who bricked their Galaxy Player.
    Does this have Vietnamese? If you know, where do I find ROM with Vietnamese?

There is no Vietnamese in these 2 ROM. May be you can have a look at the ones that based on 2.3.6. They seems to have more languages but not sure if Vietnamese is included.

Have a look at these 2
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1458325

or

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1465144