Help, Moto g won't boot up any rom

Search This thread

chente323

Oct 20, 2010
I unlock the g bootloader got it to root I have the latest cwm recovery been trying different ones also, but some how when I try to install any rom that's out there it won't boot up it only stays on the boot screen . Any ideas

Last edited:
Reactions: jamiethomaswhite

forgotter

Mar 31, 2014
Silchar
Guys, please search the forum before posting, so your issues would get resolved quickly.

OK, Now towards your problem.
A lot of people are getting the same error and the results from corruptioning of /data. First try factory reset from fastboot, then reboot. If it doesn't help then do a factory reset again and reboot your phone. If doesn't seen to help either then the only option left is to flash stock firmware through PC. Search the forum and you will get the desired result. Beaware that you will end up losing all your apps and SD card data.

chente323

Oct 20, 2010
Guys, please search the forum before posting, so your issues would get resolved quickly.

OK, Now towards your problem.
A lot of people are getting the same error and the results from corruptioning of /data. First try factory reset from fastboot, then reboot. If it doesn't help then do a factory reset again and reboot your phone. If doesn't seen to help either then the only option left is to flash stock firmware through PC. Search the forum and you will get the desired result. Beaware that you will end up losing all your apps and SD card data.

I have factory reset from fastboot a couple of times also been Goin to stock a few times, been searching everywhere I haven had any luck the phone just been doing the same thing all the time.

I have rooted, install roms, an customized over 20 android devices I have own an never had this problem

forgotter

Mar 31, 2014
Silchar
I have factory reset from fastboot a couple of times also been Goin to stock a few times, been searching everywhere I haven had any luck the phone just been doing the same thing all the time.

I have rooted, install roms, an customized over 20 android devices I have own an never had this problem
So here's a detailed instruction for you to follow.
1. In fast boot mode connect phone to PC.
2. In CMD (adb) in PC type the command "fastboot devices" without quotes and post the reply to me.
3. In the CMD, type the command "adb erase userdata","adb erase cache" without quotes. (It will wipe all your data and SD card)
4. Now download the firmware (new firmware download it in case there may be issues with the old one you have downloaded) and also TWRP-2.7.0.0.falcon by dhacker. Copy both the files in the adb folder.
5. Rename the twrp-2.7.0.0.falcon.IMG to recovery.img
6. Connect your phone to PC in fastboot mode and flash the recovery by topping command "fastboot flash recovery recovery.img"without quotes.
7. On your phone scroll to recovery option and long press volume up key until the phone vibrates. The phone will boot into recovery.
8. In recovery goto advanced-file manager. And check whether your /datafilleris empty or not (it will be empty)
9. In recovery go to wipe and wipe /system /data /cache. Next reboot your phone to boot loader mode.
10. Flash any firmware from your PC through fastboot. Then reboot your phone.
If it doesn't help either reply to me, there's other workaround too.

chente323

Oct 20, 2010
2. In CMD (adb) in PC type the command "fastboot devices" without quotes and post the reply to me.
3. In the CMD, type the command "adb erase userdata","adb erase cache" without quotes. (It will wipe all your data and SD card)
4. Now download the firmware (new firmware download it in case there may be issues with the old one you have downloaded) and also TWRP-2.7.0.0.falcon by dhacker. Copy both the files in the adb folder.
6. Connect your phone to PC in fastboot mode and flash the recovery by topping command "fastboot flash recovery recovery.img"without quotes.
7. On your phone scroll to recovery option and long press volume up key until the phone vibrates. The phone will boot into recovery.
8. In recovery goto advanced-file manager. And check whether your /datafilleris empty or not (it will be empty)
9. In recovery go to wipe and wipe /system /data /cache. Next reboot your phone to boot loader mode.

This is the same thing a friend told me to do we did it had no luck Did it 2 times just in case I dint do it right the first time

Last edited:

forgotter

Mar 31, 2014
Silchar
Moto g not booting up.

I hope you have an unlocked boot loader.
The first thing you need to find out is that are your phone's partition writable and readable.
1. Download the latest CM11 nightly to your PC rename it to "CM.zip" and extract the contents to adb folder (adb folder should be in C drive i.e. C:/adb ). You will get boot. img , system (folder), and others.
1. connect your phone to PC in fastboot mode.
2.In adb type the below commands one by one without quotes. And let one command get processed before typing other.
"fastboot devices" (in response it must show you something like TJ9*****)
"fastboot erase userdata"
"fastboot erase cache"
"fastboot push C:/adb\system /system/"
"fastboot flash boot boot.img"
"fastboot flash recovery recovery.img"(flash the philz recovery now)
"fastboot push C:/adb\boot.img /data/"(to verify whether /data is writable or not)
"fastboot push C:/adb\boot.img /cache/"(to verify whether /cache is writable or not)
"fastboot push C:/adb\CM.zip /data/media/0/"(to push the CM11rom to sdcard to flash it through recovery)
Then boot your phone to recovery. And see the logs, it should show
/system mounted
/data mounted
/sd-ext error mounting /sd-ext
/cache mounted
If it shows /data can't be mounted or error mounting /data. Then go to wipe and wipe /data and /sdcard and then again push CM.zip to /data/media/0/. If you don't see this error, then choose to wipe to install a new rom. After this remount /system /data /cache and flash the CM11.zip or you can flash stock firmware through mfastboot.

This method will definitely work since I, myself had this very same issue and got it resolved the very same way.

P.S. Try this method and only of you get some error then reply as I an sure it will solve your issue.

Last edited:

chente323

Oct 20, 2010
I hope you have an unlocked boot loader and have TWRP(2.7 by dhacker) installed.
The first thing you need to find out is that are your phone's partition writable and readable.
1. Download the latest CM11 nightly to your PC and extract the contents to adb folder. You will get boot. img , system (folder), and others.
2.In adb type the below commands one by one without quotes. And let one command get processed before typing other.
"fastboot erase cache"
"fastboot push system /system"
"fastboot flash boot boot. img"
"fastboot push boot.img /data"(to verify whether /data is writable or not)
"fastboot push boot. img /cache"(to verify whether /cache is writable or not)
"fastboot push CM.zip /data/media/0/"(to push the CM11rom to sdcard to flag it through recovery)
/system mounted
/data mounted
/cache mounted
If it shows /data can't be mounted or error mounting /data.Then go to wipe and wipe /data and /sdcard. If you don't see this error, then chose to wipe to install a new rom. After this remount /system /data /cache and flash the CM11. zip.

This method will definitely work since I, myself had this very same issue and got it resolved the very same way.

P.S. Try this method and only of you get some error then reply as I an sure it will solve your issue.

Thanks I will give it a try tomorrow since it's wife phone I don't have it w me now. I'll get back at u let u know if it work

notnowjohn

Apr 6, 2014

Hi forgotter! I have the same problem... won't boot with any ROM. I've followed your instructions but stil stucked on the boot logo. I will try the second method you provided now, hope that works :crying:

forgotter

Mar 31, 2014
Silchar
@notnowjohn

Didn't know why first method didn't worked for you but the second one would definitely work. If you get any error then reply to me, and yes in my second method post by mistake there are some extra space added after full stop (.) e.g. in boot. img (it is boot.img ) do please avoid that.

notnowjohn

Apr 6, 2014
I hope you have an unlocked boot loader and have TWRP(2.7 by dhacker) installed.
1. Download the latest CM11 nightly to your PC and extract the contents to adb folder. You will get boot. img , system (folder), and others.
"fastboot erase cache"
"fastboot push system /system"
"fastboot flash boot boot. img"
"fastboot push boot.img /data"(to verify whether /data is writable or not)
"fastboot push boot. img /cache"(to verify whether /cache is writable or not)
"fastboot push CM.zip /data/media/0/"(to push the CM11rom to sdcard to flag it through recovery)
/system mounted
/data mounted
/cache mounted
If it shows /data can't be mounted or error mounting /data.Then go to wipe and wipe /data and /sdcard. If you don't see this error, then chose to wipe to install a new rom. After this remount /system /data /cache and flash the CM11. zip.

Hi again Sir, I've followed all the instructions, but when I check the logs it says "Can't Mount" of "Can´t open" for everything.
This is what i saw during the proccess

"fastboot devices" (in response it must show you something like TJ9*****) T08830R89M

"fastboot erase userdata" OK

"fastboot erase cache" OK

"fastboot push system /system" Doesnt do anything, show adb commands

"fastboot flash boot boot. img" I deleted the space between . img. Phone says Mismatched partition size (boot)

"fastboot flash recovery recovery.img"(flash the philz recovery now) Phone says Mismatched partition size (Recovery)

"fastboot push boot.img /data"(to verify whether /data is writable or not) Doesnt do anything, show adb commands

"fastboot push boot. img /cache"(to verify whether /cache is writable or not). Again deleted the space between . img. Doesnt do anything, show adb commands

"fastboot push CM.zip /data/media/0/"(to push the CM11rom to sdcard to flag it through recovery) Doesnt do anything, show adb commands

Its anthing more I can do??

Thank you very much! I can believe I brick my phone :(

forgotter

Mar 31, 2014
Silchar
Hi again Sir, I've followed all the instructions, but when I check the logs it says "Can't Mount" of "Can´t open" for everything.

"fastboot devices" (in response it must show you something like TJ9*****) T08830R89M

"fastboot flash boot boot. img" I deleted the space between . img. Phone says Mismatched partition size (boot)

"fastboot flash recovery recovery.img"(flash the philz recovery now) Phone says Mismatched partition size (Recovery)

"fastboot push boot.img /data"(to verify whether /data is writable or not) Doesnt do anything, show adb commands

"fastboot push boot. img /cache"(to verify whether /cache is writable or not). Again deleted the space between . img. Doesnt do anything, show adb commands

"fastboot push CM.zip /data/media/0/"(to push the CM11rom to sdcard to flag it through recovery) Doesnt do anything, show adb commands

Don't worry your phone is fine.
Whenever adb shows m mismatched partition it's fine and usual.

I understand your problem now, I just think if I your device now , I would have repaired it within minutes. Never mind, follow the below steps .

Download the philz recovery to your PC, flash it through fastboot on your phone. Then go to recovery on your phone immediately and choose wipe-wipe data and sdcard. And then flash the stock firmware through mfastboot or install any ROM through recovery.

forgotter

Mar 31, 2014
Silchar
If you can't push system to device don't worry , it's of no use at all because you'll format it before flashing the rom. But if you're flashing through recovery then make sure to push CM. zip to /sdcard/.

You need adb tools on your PC, just search Google for adb tools and download it. You need stock firmware of your phone on PC if you'd flash the rom through mfastboot and you need philz recovery ( to flash it on your phone.)

If you can't get anything or don't understand anything then do search the forum for help because all the things are already mentioned and if i had to answer it mostly would be copy-paste. But still if you need help, I am there. Just post your problem.

Feb 12, 2014
pluiz halp!

If you can't push system to device don't worry , it's of no use at all because you'll format it before flashing the rom. But if you're flashing through recovery then make sure to push CM. zip to /sdcard/.

You need adb tools on your PC, just search Google for adb tools and download it. You need stock firmware of your phone on PC if you'd flash the rom through mfastboot and you need philz recovery ( to flash it on your phone.)

If you can't get anything or don't understand anything then do search the forum for help because all the things are already mentioned and if i had to answer it mostly would be copy-paste. But still if you need help, I am there. Just post your problem.

I'm having similar issues as everyone else here. I unlocked my bootloader following Motorola's instructions on their website, then I used Superboot to root the phone (which I don't think worked as CWM and TWRP kept asking to install SU on reboot). After that I put CM 11 M4 on sdcard and flashed.

This is where it went wrong. I rebooted and got a bootloop, so I looked around online and ended up wiping everything and trying again. It still didn't work so I followed instructions to reflash stock firmware, this didn't work either. By this time the phone had been on ages and went dead. Now it won't turn back on and won't register as charging from USB or from wall plug.
I have no idea what to do as nothing worked before hand and now I can't access it to resolve the issue.

I'm panicking atm because I'm contracted to Virgin Mobile in the UK and this voids the warranty. I just don't know what to do D:

forgotter

Mar 31, 2014
Silchar
I'm having similar issues as everyone else here. I unlocked my bootloader following Motorola's instructions on their website, then I used Superboot to root the phone (which I don't think worked as CWM and TWRP kept asking to install SU on reboot). After that I put CM 11 M4 on sdcard and flashed.

This is where it went wrong. I rebooted and got a bootloop, so I looked around online and ended up wiping everything and trying again. It still didn't work so I followed instructions to reflash stock firmware, this didn't work either. By this time the phone had been on ages and went dead. Now it won't turn back on and won't register as charging from USB or from wall plug.
I have no idea what to do as nothing worked before hand and now I can't access it to resolve the issue.

I'm panicking atm because I'm contracted to Virgin Mobile in the UK and this voids the warranty. I just don't know what to do D:

Plug the phone to wall charger and leave it to charge for the whole night, the next when you'd restart the phone it should boot up. Sometimes the phone discharged itself to such a level that it didn't have enough juice left to show the battery charging status even.

After that follow instructions from post #7 on page 1 and paste all output commands you see. Well, the phone should boot up.

sinkadorable

Feb 12, 2014

now my phone was stuck on UBL warning message and cannot enter recovery
when i flash recovery fastboot say Mismatched partition size (Recovery) :crying:

Last edited:

forgotter

Mar 31, 2014
Silchar
now my phone was stuck on UBL warning message and cannot enter recovery
when i flash recovery fastboot say Mismatched partition size (Recovery) :crying:

Mismatched partition size is usual , no need to worry about that. What do you mean by UBL warning message? And yes, after you flash recovery, enter in recovery mode and wipe data and sdcard and then flash any ROM from fastboot.

And if you get into an error or solution doesn't work then post your problem but detailed so I can get to the main cause of the problem.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Moto g not booting up.

I hope you have an unlocked boot loader.
    1. Download the latest CM11 nightly to your PC rename it to "CM.zip" and extract the contents to adb folder (adb folder should be in C drive i.e. C:/adb ). You will get boot. img , system (folder), and others.
    "fastboot erase cache"
    "fastboot push C:/adb\system /system/"
    "fastboot flash boot boot.img"
    "fastboot push C:/adb\boot.img /data/"(to verify whether /data is writable or not)
    "fastboot push C:/adb\boot.img /cache/"(to verify whether /cache is writable or not)
    "fastboot push C:/adb\CM.zip /data/media/0/"(to push the CM11rom to sdcard to flash it through recovery)
    /system mounted
    /data mounted
    /cache mounted
    If it shows /data can't be mounted or error mounting /data. Then go to wipe and wipe /data and /sdcard and then again push CM.zip to /data/media/0/. If you don't see this error, then choose to wipe to install a new rom. After this remount /system /data /cache and flash the CM11.zip or you can flash stock firmware through mfastboot.

@notnowjohn

Didn't know why first method didn't worked for you but the second one would definitely work. If you get any error then reply to me, and yes in my second method post by mistake there are some extra space added after full stop (.) e.g. in boot. img (it is boot.img ) do please avoid that.

Don't worry your phone is fine.
    Whenever adb shows m mismatched partition it's fine and usual.

I understand your problem now, I just think if I your device now , I would have repaired it within minutes. Never mind, follow the below steps .

Download the philz recovery to your PC, flash it through fastboot on your phone. Then go to recovery on your phone immediately and choose wipe-wipe data and sdcard. And then flash the stock firmware through mfastboot or install any ROM through recovery.
    I unlock the g bootloader got it to root I have the latest cwm recovery been trying different ones also, but some how when I try to install any rom that's out there it won't boot up it only stays on the boot screen . Any ideas