[How to] get full ubuntu and your favorite desktop in webtop

Search This thread

redeyedjedi

May 1, 2011
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I have a question out of curiousity, would it be possible to integrate this hack into the upgrade to ICS roms? Considering it upgrades webtop, would it be possible to replace to files so that it installs a linux friendly system if the partitions are already in place on the SD?

Sent from my MB865 using xda premium

OP is working on doing exactly this as we speak.

C

chicknlil

Add me to the list of new lapdock owners (running rooted OTA) that would love to be able to use this mod.

Thank you so much for everything you do for this community, Jim. It's people like you that make me stay with this phone, this ecosystem. Big kudos to you.

marnold425

Feb 1, 2013
I would love to do this if only it were as easy as partitioning and flashing a zip looks like wayyyyyyy too much just to use the lapdock as a somewhat desktop and having to adb everytime i reboot is kinda a no go for me
Add me to the list of new lapdock owners (running rooted OTA) that would love to be able to use this mod.

Thank you so much for everything you do for this community, Jim. It's people like you that make me stay with this phone, this ecosystem. Big kudos to you.

marnold425

Feb 1, 2013
When I get down to running this line of the code I get this error

sh ./setup_webtop.sh
./setup_webtop.sh[119]: .: /osh/upath.sh: not found
root@edison:/data/local #

Last edited:

eetu1923

Mar 6, 2013
a few hints

well after sadly not being able to ship my test device to Jim, it got shelved and i just now am tinkering with it trying to put the ubuntu webtop on it..

so after some tries i found out some things that may not be clear for anyone still trying this ( if any)..

1.- you have to be on GingerBread for it to work
2.- you have to be rooted
3.- you have to install busybox 1.20 on it or the adb commands wont work.

Well at this point i have to say some things i perosnaly did, and happenned to me.. first i went back from the JellyBean leak 3 update to GingerBread for this to work. ( this can only be done on an unlocked bootloader and im a lucky test device).

for some reason in gingerbread when i connect the lapdock the webtop app starts fine and then after 5 seconds or so it goes to a big M screen saver and the phone goes back to phone mode.. this didnt happenned on the JB leak and webtop worked fine..

so even if i managed to run Jim script here.. i cant download the desktop from synaptic or anything ause the webtop just goes bak to phone mode for no reason.. and i cannot find a way to fix this..

eetu1923

Mar 6, 2013
Ok so quick update.. i managed to put the phone on 2.3.5 after tinkering and finding out i had to:

1.- replace some files on the original stock image ( i could only find an ATT image by the way. InlineFlashing_edison_5.5.175.16_cfc_p3_APBP_CID285.xml
2.- After several tries i found out that after flashing the lockscreen got stuck if i didnt had a sim card inserted.. weird huh?.

so i re did everything again.. but the same thing happens.. first the webtop launches ok when i connect it with the lapdock but after 5 seconds it shuts off and the phone goes back to phone mode.. i just cannot find why is this happenning, sometimes it works ok though and i have tried doing the ctrl+alt+T to het the temrinal and i get an error saying the temrinal is nowhere to be found.. I did saw a not linkable message while the script was running... any help guys?..

eetu1923

Mar 6, 2013
well i tried again and again.. but the script keeps giving me that unlinkable error at the end when it wants to reboot.. so i reboot it manually..
so far the other errors are gone, busybox 1.19 gets rid of some other small errors in the script.. the end result now is.. well the webtop doesnt load this time.. but im guessing im close to something because it tries to load and the screen stays black.. the thing is that the webtop error shown in the video above is still happening even though the webtop doesnt show... it just waits 5 seconds and goes back to the phone.. showing only a big red M on the lapdock screen..

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ok, Today I will show how to fully unlock the webtop feature in the Atrix 2, so that you can use your favorite Linux apps and desktop, to be more productive while using webtop.

This will be in several posts to make this easier to read and understand.

There are several requirements I will list here, first:

1) A way to use webtop - The HD, or lapdock, or have completed the webtop mod for the HDMI connection Here
    2) This is most important, and if you completed 1, then you most likely have done it, root your Atrix 2
    3) A USB SDcard reader. I have the Sandisk imagemagick, but any one you like will do
    4) Be able to ADB from your computer to your phone
    5) Not afraid of a little command line work :)

Partition Instructions:
    Depending upon your operating system, free software is available so that you can partition and format your device without losing all the data on it.

You will need to get one of the apps / iso images below, I recommend the live iso with gparted on it, just because I am a UNIX/ Linux guy by trade and choice, and this is what I use.

Linux gparted live iso image:
    http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php

Windows MiniTool Partition Wizard:
    http://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html

You must create a parition on your SDcard for webtop, as this is is a full Operating System and takes a good bit of space. I made mine around 8GB on my 32GB card, and for the purpose of showing you here, I created a 4GB partition on a spare 16GB card I have. 1GB is the minimum, because that is what is already being used on the Atrix2 and I think it is about 80% full or so.

The partition you create MUST be a primary partition and formated to ext3.

For Windows here are some screen shots from another board that may help, with instructions:

This is what the MiniTool Partition Wizard screen looks like when I have an 8 GB SD card inserted. As you can see, there's currently one single FAT32 partition present.
    http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=651143&d=1310342755

When you right click on the partition, you'll see a Move/Resize option. That's the one you want to select for non-destructive partitioning.
    http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=651144&d=1310342755

At that point, you can select how large you want your partition to be. You want to make sure that the "Unallocated Space Before" stays at 0.00 MB, so that the new partition will be the second one. In my case, I've opted to create a 4 GB partition as the second partition.
    http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=651145&d=1310342755

Once that has been set up, right click on the Unallocated space, then select Create.
    http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=651146&d=1310342766

We're not worried about the warning that Windows throws up, particularly since we know we'll be creating a partition that Windows can't read anyways. So just hit Yes.
    http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=651147&d=1310342766

Create the second partition at the maximum size with the following settings:

Create As: Primary
    File System: Ext3
    http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=651148&d=1310342766

After that's done, click on the Apply Changes button.
    http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=651149&d=1310342766

And now you're done! Put the card back into your Atrix2

Now for gparted:

If you are familiar with Linux and know how to use gparted, just resize your FAT32 partition to whatever size you want, then create a partition at least 1GB in size (I recommend 4GB), and make it an EXT3.

Now for the rest that are using the iso here is some info and screen prints:

Launch gparted:
    Here is a screen print of my desktop with gparted running:
    picture.php

Now in the upper right corner there is a little drop down that has something like /dev/sda in it, change this to your SDcard, mine was /dev/sdc.

Next right click on the partition in the middle of the screen, it should be surrounded in green, then click Resize/Move:
    picture.php

Then when the next screen comes up, drag the arrow from the left to the middle of the screen to resize the partition, to the size you want, this is in MegaBytes:
    picture.php

Now will have one partition that is ready to resize, and it should look like this, you will click on the "Apply all Operations button":
    picture.php

Then a little window with the percentage will show up and tell you when it is complete, just click the close button when it finishes.

Next you will right click on the unallocated part of the SDcard and click new:
    picture.php

Then you will tell it how big in new size box, I let it do the whole thing at 4GB, then select ext3 in the File system drop down menu:
    picture.php

Then after you click add in the last screen, you will click the "Apply all Operations button" Again:
    picture.php

Now it will show the percentage window again, and when it is complete, click the close button.

Done! Now it should look like this:
    picture.php

Put your SDcard back into your phone now.

Next will be how to copy over some patches and a script that will do a lot more, and a manual way for the brave.
    Now that you can get into synaptic, go find a desktop you like and install it.

I use gnome and I like it, but here is a list of KNOWN working apps, I am sure there are many more, just know some will not work at all.

Working Programs:
    OpenOffice
    XFCE4
    Xchat
    LxTerminal
    Transmission
    lxpanel
    rdesktop
    VLC Player (Video is choppy)
    Gnome-Panel
    Evolution Email
    Chrome-Browser

Now that you have a desktop you want to run, lets set it up to start for you instead of that launcher at the bottom of the screen now.

After installing your DE of choice thru apt-get or synaptic, navigate on your phone with Root File Explorer to /osh/usr/local/bin/ and open the file "start-oshwt-2.sh" in the text editor and you will be presented with something that looks like this:

#! /bin/sh
    ### BEGIN INIT INFO
    # Provides: start_lxde2.sh
    # Required-Start:
    # Required-Stop:
    # Default-Start:
    # Default-Stop:
    # Short-Description: started by adas user at login
    ### END INIT INFO

PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin
    export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib:/usr/local/lib

. /lib/lsb/init-functions
    export `fbcp_dsba`

log_action_msg "Will now start OSHWT 2 scripts"

sfalv -i "/usr/lib/gvfs/gvfs-gdu-volume-monitor"

# start OSHWT 2 scripts
    sfalv -i "awn-autostart"
    sfalv -i "webtop-panel"
    sfalv -i "webtop-wallpaper"
    sfalv -i "evbridge"
    webtop-wallpaper &
    evbridge &
    sfalv -i "window_switcher"
    system-config-printer-applet >/dev/null 2>/dev/null &
    sr-test avahi_start &

# IKXWEBTOP-5690 workaround.
    # xkb is broken in 10.10 in that each time a keyboard is connected
    # the layout of all other keyboards become the layout of
    # the last connected keyboard.
    # There is an xorg.conf.d rule that forces all keyboards to
    # layout 'us(android)' but for some reason it is not working for
    # evfwd. Here we force xkb to work with 'us(android)' so evfwd
    # is assigned the right layout.
    setxkbmap 'us(android)'

Note:
    I highlighted the section you are interested in in Blue.
    The sfalv -i "awn-autostart" command might also bin the file /osh/usr/local/bin/start-oshwt-1.sh

From here, if you comment out the sfalv -i "awn-autostart", then add to the script sfalv -i "xfdesktop" and sfalv -i "xfce4-panel" if you installed xfce4 or whatever Desktop environment you installed. If you followed this, your script should look like this:

#! /bin/sh
    ### BEGIN INIT INFO
    # Provides: start_lxde2.sh
    # Required-Start:
    # Required-Stop:
    # Default-Start:
    # Default-Stop:
    # Short-Description: started by adas user at login
    ### END INIT INFO

PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin
    export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib:/usr/local/lib

. /lib/lsb/init-functions
    export `fbcp_dsba`

log_action_msg "Will now start OSHWT 2 scripts"

sfalv -i "/usr/lib/gvfs/gvfs-gdu-volume-monitor"

# start OSHWT 2 scripts
    #sfalv -i "awn-autostart"
    sfalv -i "webtop-panel"
    sfalv -i "xfdesktop"
    sfalv -i "xfce4-panel"
    #sfalv -i "webtop-wallpaper"
    #sfalv -i "evbridge"
    webtop-wallpaper &
    evbridge &
    sfalv -i "window_switcher"
    system-config-printer-applet >/dev/null 2>/dev/null &
    sr-test avahi_start &

# IKXWEBTOP-5690 workaround.
    # xkb is broken in 10.10 in that each time a keyboard is connected
    # the layout of all other keyboards become the layout of
    # the last connected keyboard.
    # There is an xorg.conf.d rule that forces all keyboards to
    # layout 'us(android)' but for some reason it is not working for
    # evfwd. Here we force xkb to work with 'us(android)' so evfwd
    # is assigned the right layout.
    setxkbmap 'us(android)'

picture.php
    I want ubuntu at ICS LEAK 4.0.4 very much..because I`m in Russia, and I want to have a russian input keyboard.

Be patient!

I am working on getting ubuntu back for webtop for ICS... but the "Official" OTA has not even been released yet. I am working on things using the leak, but that is no guarantee... So, again just hang tight, I am working in the background to bring the ubuntu webtop back from the dead.
    Ok, so now that we are partitioned we can do some real fun stuff, and by fun stuff I mean command line. :)

I would make sure you are plugged into a power source when you are doing this part, becuase the script will run for a very long time, it is copying 1GB of data to your SDcard, and installing a patch that includes another 100 or so MB of needed programs.

Go get this tarball

IT IS VERY IMPORTANT THAT YOU COPY THIS INTO /data/local ON YOUR PHONE

Copy this to your system with:

adb push webtop_unlock.tar /data/local

Now connect to your phone with ADB

adb shell
    su
    cd /data/local
    tar -xvf webtop_unlock.tar
    chmod 755 setup_webtop.sh
    sh ./setup_webtop.sh

This will do a whole lot of things, like copy the webtop install to your SDcard, then patch it, so that you can run synaptic and a termial and disable the FACLs and MACLs that Motorola has implemented, so that it is not locked down anymore.

***Note: I only had a chance to run and test this script once, so if it is an issue please let me know nicely in a post here, or PM me, but please copy any errors or get a screen print if you can, so that I know what to fix. Please don't post a reply with it did not work, give me as much info as you can.

After your phone reboots ADB into it again, and do this:
    su
    mount -o remount, rw /

**take note that you must run the "mount -o remount, rw /" command anytime you reboot your phone because any programs you get thru apt-get or synaptic will error out during installation
    Now that you have most of what you need Do this:

Connect to webtop with whatever method you like, HD dock, or lapdock, or TV (you most likely have to have a bluetooth keyboard mouse to use your TV).

Then when the webtop session starts:
    Ctrl+Alt+T

picture.php

When the Terminal launches type this at the command line and hit return
    sudo apt-get update

From here, you can run "gksu synaptic" and use the password "test" to start installing various different programs and packages that are normally available on Ubuntu.

picture.php

Dependencies
    Take caution when modding Webtop because there are some dependencies that will break Webtop if they are upgraded such as anything ending in a .mot or anything resembling that.

Credits
    Please thank [mbm] for fixing what Motorola took out, without him, none of this would be possible without his patch.

Sogarth for being the pioneer of Webtop hacking.