[Q] Root for sm-T217A?

Search This thread

cfli1688c1

May 10, 2012
i have not touch my tab in 2 days, this morning, i open it up and it said updated. I look and its got 4.4.2. Looks like i still have root access, i can go to root browser and browse into system\app

thats funny...

hold that.. guess i spoke too soon, su is gone
well, at least i am on 4.4.2, still happy

very strange, i can still goto terminal and do a su, it will let me go to /system folder

---------- Post added at 09:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:37 PM ----------

looks like i still have su in /system/xbin

i dont want to reboot the device and then su is gone. anyone know i can keep root from here? thanks.

Last edited:

Grommet45

Mar 16, 2013
Does this help on the T217A in any way. Its supposed to be used with Octopus box????

1. Disconnect USB cable from phone.
2. Go to Menu->Settings->More->About Device.
3.Tap on "Builds numbers" 7 times to enable developer options.
4. Go to Menu->Settings->More->Developer options.
5. Turn on "USB Debugging" option.
6. Go to Calculator application. Enter "(+30012012732+" number, to get phone dial window.
7. Enter "*#0808#" number.
8. Select "DM+Modem+ADB".
9. Close window.
10. Go to dial window.
11. Enter "*#9090#" number.
12. Set "Diag config" to "[1]DM/DUM over HS-USB" value.
13. Restart phone.
14. Press "Read Info" in software.

Im haveing a problum with line 12. Do i enter it just as it is in the quotes? Typeing in the word over in between too?

DSTG

Jul 29, 2012
Killeen
Kingo attempts but does not get past checking root. TowelRoot crashes after pressing make it rain.

Anyone know if we can odin back to 4.2.2?
Hope I'm not to late for you.
I gave is a shot. Do NOT do it. I figured it would happen with a locked (and updated) bootloader, but I tried anyway thinking a soft brick, but it was a pretty hard brick. Took it to the Samsung guy at best buy, he couldn't flash it. I complete unrooted to update, but then with the whole SD card issue wanted to go back to 4.2.2. Tried ODIN (3 different versions all with the same results) to get 4.2.2 on there and it failed. Without at 4.4.2 download anywhere I couldn't put it back to 4.4.2. Then again, neither could the Samsung rep at best buy. Took it to AT&T store to see if they could fix it, ended up going to warranty to Samsung. Just got it back today (on 4.4.2 unfortunately). On the warranty form they apparently replaced the USB port, not sure why, but anyway, there you go. I'm sure if there as a 4.4.2 download somewhere, I could have odined it back to life but who knows, I'm only guessing, I don't know crap. Oh yeah, when the 4.2.2 failed, it also said "there was an issue with firmware update" and all the stuff up top still said "official", so I guess there was no trace of root or flashing and stuff, hence why they fixed it under warranty. Looked like a bad download/update or whatever and not like tampering.

Last edited:

cfli1688c1

May 10, 2012
anyone know how to get tethering working on this tab? thanks

found it, just install a tethering app from the app store and i am good to go

Last edited:

phaent

Dec 11, 2014
I've looked pretty heavily and still not seeing a viable root for 4.4.2 on the T217A device (ATT), is this correct? If so, is there any kind of time-table, or are we SoL because it's an older device?

Kevinreid1

Oct 20, 2010
Works for me, SM-217A Build JDQ39.T217AUCUAMHC

What version of Kingo are you using neither 1.3.* nor 1.2.* work for me same Build as you.. do you still have the android_root.exe for the version of Kingo you used?

---------- Post added at 07:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:59 AM ----------

I need root method for 4.2.2 current kingo doesn't work for me and the Tether Apk for Samsung with Bluetooth tether built in. Also can anyone tell me how to keep this from updating to 4.4.2 or 4.4.4 the download has already started so for now I turned off my wi-fi.. Thanks for any help.

Kevinreid1

Oct 20, 2010
Built in tethering

Thanks Kingo Root worked!!

---------- Post added at 11:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:46 PM ----------

Thanks for starting this thread for the SM-T217A, Now if anyone know how to enable tethering would be awesome after rooting this :D

I can't find the Samsung built in tethering app anywhere on my 217a the one with buletooth tethering built in. I have several Samsung devices is there a way to transfer the files needed from one of those? Galaxy Mega at&t, S4 Mini Appalachian Wireless, S4 Mini Duos Unlocked and rooted, Galaxy tab 2 7.0 Verizon, The first 3 are on 4.4.2 the last 1 is on 4.1.2 and my 217A is 4.2.2 rooted. Help and detailed instructions needed... Thanks :)

ELutts

I can confirm the same on my newly rooted SM-T217A, Kingoapp is awesome :)

I realize this post is more than likely for an older update for the SM-T217A so I apologize if this has already been addressed and I just missed it, but the 4.4.2 update DOES NOT work with Kingoroot, or CF-Autoroot, or Superroot, or One-Click Root, or any other attempt I've made. No to Framaroot, also Towelroot doesn't work. There's got to be a way to get it to work because all the OTHER versions of this tab have been rooted. Also, it's extremely hard to find a custom recovery for this ATT version, so anyone out there that knows how to compile TWRP, or even CWM recoveries, the little guys back here that still have to use this tab instead of one of the newer, nicer ones would really like a little help if you could find the time. Thanks to anyone out there that can help. I simply want the bloatware off of this thing, and to update the kernel so the battery isn't painfully awful anymore.

-ELutts

Reactions: Droidlyen

laptopspares

Mar 4, 2016
Sim Unlock SM-T217A

We need to unlock the bootloader first, a few of us have been working on this in one of the other threads, so far I got mine sim unlocked, ATT said that would also unlock the bootloader, but it didn't, need to call them again and press the issue.

Can you let me know how you unlocked it - did you manage it for free ? Thanks

Adam75228

Jan 7, 2017
Ok so new to android, because i broke screen on my factory unlocked bbZ10. Im very use to the simplicity of the non branded unlocked blackberry. I got my unlocked T217A, because it has the hardware to be a fully functional cell phone. I have read the rom/bootloader issues, but it appears that i may just need to change APN protocol setting from IPv4 to APN protocol: IPv4/IPv6... so could it really be that smiple? And how would one ungray that setting line in APN?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I just rooted my SM-T217A using Kingo Root. there's no recovery, but at least now I can use titanium backup and ad away.

www.kingoapp.com
    Would this help in any way???

Does this help on the T217A in any way. Its supposed to be used with Octopus box????

1. Disconnect USB cable from phone.
    2. Go to Menu->Settings->More->About Device.
    3.Tap on "Builds numbers" 7 times to enable developer options.
    4. Go to Menu->Settings->More->Developer options.
    5. Turn on "USB Debugging" option.
    6. Go to Calculator application. Enter "(+30012012732+" number, to get phone dial window.
    7. Enter "*#0808#" number.
    8. Select "DM+Modem+ADB".
    9. Close window.
    10. Go to dial window.
    11. Enter "*#9090#" number.
    12. Set "Diag config" to "[1]DM/DUM over HS-USB" value.
    13. Restart phone.
    14. Press "Read Info" in software.
    Confirmed

I have also confirmed that Kingoapp does in fact root the AT&T Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 SM-T217A. Perfect! :good::good:
    How did you turn on usb debugging? I don't see the developer options tab.

Go to "about phone" and tap the build number 7-10 times and it will enable developer options.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD
    I have been searching to no avail...Is anyone working on rooting the AT&T version of the Galaxy Tab 3 7.0? I have seen the threads about the 211, but I don't know if there are enough differences to cause problems. I have looked here on the forums and elsewhere and it doesn't seem like anybody is working on this variant of the Tab 3. Any help would be appreciated.