GPS Cycle Computer v3

Search This thread

AndyZap

Jul 12, 2008
Yet Another GPS Tracker? - yes, but:
- this is a nice one - thanks to excellent design by expo7! And you can set your custom background and button images;
- can select GPS run interval: from "always on" to "run every 10 min" - this is useful if you want to reduce battery power usage;
- has usual cycle computer display: time, distance, speed (current, average, max) plus a graph of your track.

The tool logs GPS data into a binary file (so a lot of data can be stored in a compact form), which can be loaded back for viewing, or saved into .kml / .gpx file to view in e.g. GoogleEarth. With the latest version of GoogleMaps, you can view KML files on your phone. Just click on a kml file in file explorer. Note there is a bug in the latest GoogleMaps installation, so KML files does not work - read the manual how to fix this.

The files are now stored at Google Code web site, please download the latest version from here: http://code.google.com/p/gccv2/downloads/list

What you need to download (go for the latest version!) :
- GpsCycleComputer_X.XX.cab - the application itself. To install, copy CAB into your phone, and click on it from your phone File Explorer. The manual (file called Readme.htm) is installed on your phone, in the same folder as the application. E.g. if you install into "Internal Storage" on English Windows, the path to the application will be \Internal Storage\Program Files\GpsCycleComputer.
- GpsCycleComputerSource_X.XX.zip - A complete source code in C#, uses CF .NET 2.0. Feel free to change anything you like!

If you have questions about Live logging on www.crossingways.com, please visit this forum: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=484809

attachment.php

Attachments

• preview.jpg
    preview.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 101,770
Last edited:
Reactions: Cheque

carloshdez

Jun 23, 2008
I'll give it a try ;) thank you.

Does it work with the screen switched off?

Edit: now I see the backlight off button xD

Last edited:

carloshdez

Jun 23, 2008
Hi,

the tracker works great! buuuuuut I have a problem, I can't import the .kml file into google earth. Although I open it (with a text editor) and the coordinates seem correct, when I import it, google earth sets all the coordinates in the north pole ¿?¿?

Last edited:

S_Hammer

Jan 9, 2007
Very Nice

Hello,

it really looks good :) And i like the "simple" stuff. Exactly the needed functionality. The only thinmg I miss is the possibility to save the files as GPX.

Oh and it would be perfect if it is possible to disable all button's but the power button when the screen is of.

Thanks for the tool. I will test it in Australia next month.

And I will have a look in the sources :)

Br Martin

Last edited:

AndyZap

Jul 12, 2008
Strange that you do not see anything in Google Earth. I just tested again, all OK. I use Windows version: "Google Earth 4.3.7284.3916 (beta) Build Date Jul 8 2008"

The KML file is quite simple - I looked an existing KML sample supplied with Google Earth (called, of course, "KML Samples"), found the simplest one with "path" and simply put the new coordinates there.

Try to put a single point in the coordinates and see if it works for you?

The only bit this I can think of is the "Z" coordinate, which is "optional" according to Google manual. But maybe in your version you need that "Z" as well (this will be the 3rd number after lat/long, - put 0 there, note it is separated by comma.

Also I removed entry called "<LookAt>" - but seems my version can set the eye position automatically...

AndyZap

Jul 12, 2008
Re the buttons: I have not explore all the Diamond settings in details: on mine, by default, all the buttons are locked as I click software button "BkLight Off". Then I switch it back with hardware "power" button. Do you have the same?

BTW: here is the Google sample I used as a template - try if this works (and after removing which field it does not!). BTW, according to Google help, it might be possible to use GoogleMaps for viewing KML file (but I was not able to make this work on Diamond) - anyone tried?

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<kml xmlns="http://earth.google.com/kml/2.2">
<Placemark>
<name>Tessellated</name>
<description><![CDATA[If the <tessellate> tag has a value of 1, the line will contour to the underlying terrain]]></description>
<LookAt>
<longitude>-112.0822680013139</longitude>
<latitude>36.09825589333556</latitude>
<altitude>0</altitude>
<range>2889.145007690472</range>
<tilt>62.04855796276328</tilt>
<heading>103.8120432044965</heading>
</LookAt>
<LineString>
<tessellate>1</tessellate>
<coordinates>
-112.0814237830345,36.10677870477137,0 -112.0870267752693,36.0905099328766,0 </coordinates>
</LineString>
</Placemark>
</kml>

carloshdez

Jun 23, 2008
Hi,

The problem is that you use the comma character to separate the decimal part, whereas kml files use the dot ;)

this is:

google: -112.0814237830345,36.10677870477137
you: -112,0814237830345,36,10677870477137

I replaced the commas for dots and now google shows the route correctly

BTW, the Z coordinate is not needed, as you guessed.

Please fix this, I love this software!!!

Last edited:

HansZimmer

Jan 15, 2007
Thank You, your tools sounds great !! It runs on my Diamond, but i Am inhouse at the moment, so no gps signal, but it works so far. can you explain the "GPS sample validity" a little more, please ? i donßt understand your readme. And "GPS activity", does it mean that the tool saves point in this time frame or that GPS is activated after this time, send the position, goes off and wait for some minutes ? And when it goes on, how long do it try to receive a signal ? For example, if i go in a house, does it start the gps and try to receive for hours or does it switch the gps off after some time ?

I hope you keep developing, very good start for the concept. Is there a chance to improve the design :) ? Maybe in Manila style ? Like the small "stopwatch 1.01" tool, simple, but great design, improves it a lot !!

hans

HansZimmer

Jan 15, 2007
one more: on my diamond, one press on hardware buttons and the button light goes on, second press screen goes on :( Any idea ?

hans

AndyZap

Jul 12, 2008
Would love to make a bit nicer design, but have not learn yet how to do skins ... Anyone would like to try? - the source code it attached:)

Regarding start/stop : if you select an option "GPS activity" "run every xx sec", then:
1) as soon as you get a valid sample (to decide that it is valid - the second option is used "GPS sample valid xx sec") - GPS is switched OFF and a timer started for xx sec.
2) as timer expires, it starts GPS
3) GPS starts searching and as soon it get a valid sample (see 1)...

So, it means that you need to add "search time" to "timer time" - that will be your distance between samples. Clearly, the longer the timer time, it will takes longer for GPS to get a valid sample again.

The battery usage is printed at start/stop - I specially added this to estimate usage. I did not have much chance to test, but with "GPS always on" and "3 sec valid time" (as you load the file back, it shows as "gps options 0/3 sec" after file name) - I think it shall run for
about 3 hours.

BTW, I noticed the application hangs sometimes when it frequently start/stop GPS (I tried 5 sec / 5 sec), AND you have a few other applications running (blame Microsoft ... it was not me). I guess the GPS start/stop is a bit stressful for the system, so this could explain. I am looking into this. At default mode (0/3 sec) all seems works fine. Again - look at source code, maybe you have some suggestions?

Riel

Mar 1, 2006
Born
www.zzapps.nl
Re the buttons: I have not explore all the Diamond settings in details: on mine, by default, all the buttons are locked as I click software button "BkLight Off". Then I switch it back with hardware "power" button. Do you have the same?

BTW: here is the Google sample I used as a template - try if this works (and after removing which field it does not!). BTW, according to Google help, it might be possible to use GoogleMaps for viewing KML file (but I was not able to make this work on Diamond) - anyone tried?

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<kml xmlns="http://earth.google.com/kml/2.2">
<Placemark>
<name>Tessellated</name>
<description><![CDATA[If the <tessellate> tag has a value of 1, the line will contour to the underlying terrain]]></description>
<LookAt>
<longitude>-112.0822680013139</longitude>
<latitude>36.09825589333556</latitude>
<altitude>0</altitude>
<range>2889.145007690472</range>
<tilt>62.04855796276328</tilt>
<heading>103.8120432044965</heading>
</LookAt>
<LineString>
<tessellate>1</tessellate>
<coordinates>
-112.0814237830345,36.10677870477137,0 -112.0870267752693,36.0905099328766,0 </coordinates>
</LineString>
</Placemark>
</kml>

Yes, search for TrackMe here on XDA, and for the serverfiles.
The serverfiles have a build-in google maps API, sure you can work it out.

sheep707

Jul 9, 2008
Thank you so mutch

I searched many, many time for a tool like this!

I will try it, today evening....

Great Job

cojones

Jan 14, 2004
Faringdon
great app - a suggestion

This is a fantastic app...I love the simplicity and the functionality.

I'm trying to find something that is as close to Nokia's sports tracker as possible for WM6.1 and this is near as perfect.

One suggestion for added functionality...

is it possible to add markers to show:
  • fastest point
  • slowest point
  • highest point
  • lowest point
These are then visible on the .kml file in google earth/maps.

Keep up the good work!

cheers, cojo

AndyZap

Jul 12, 2008
I will be posting the latest version into the first post, so please check it for updates. The latest update is for KML output fix, also I added GPX output day before.

Re battery usage - I noticed that as you switch GPS on, the battery reduces quickly (which looks ok, as battery current increases, so voltage drops), but then it drains the battery not as fast. I.e. 20 min run might not be an indication how long it will last.

S_Hammer

Jan 9, 2007
Hy Andy,

the 1) part makes me a little bit worried. Can you change that to a number of sattelites used or a certain hdop to decide that a signal is valid instead of taking a "GPS sample valid xx sec"

I really like your tool :) It would be nice to have a option for the folder where the logs should be stored.

Br Martin

Would love to make a bit nicer design, but have not learn yet how to do skins ... Anyone would like to try? - the source code it attached:)

Regarding start/stop : if you select an option "GPS activity" "run every xx sec", then:
1) as soon as you get a valid sample (to decide that it is valid - the second option is used "GPS sample valid xx sec") - GPS is switched OFF and a timer started for xx sec.
2) as timer expires, it starts GPS
3) GPS starts searching and as soon it get a valid sample (see 1)...

So, it means that you need to add "search time" to "timer time" - that will be your distance between samples. Clearly, the longer the timer time, it will takes longer for GPS to get a valid sample again.

The battery usage is printed at start/stop - I specially added this to estimate usage. I did not have much chance to test, but with "GPS always on" and "3 sec valid time" (as you load the file back, it shows as "gps options 0/3 sec" after file name) - I think it shall run for
about 3 hours.

BTW, I noticed the application hangs sometimes when it frequently start/stop GPS (I tried 5 sec / 5 sec), AND you have a few other applications running (blame Microsoft ... it was not me). I guess the GPS start/stop is a bit stressful for the system, so this could explain. I am looking into this. At default mode (0/3 sec) all seems works fine. Again - look at source code, maybe you have some suggestions?

AndyZap

Jul 12, 2008
I think I was not very clear about "valid xx sec" - Of course, first of all I check that the position/velocity/heigth is "valid" - this information is provided by the GPS. I.e. this means that you have proper GPS lock first. Also each gps sample has time stamp, so I additionally check that the sample is fresh enough. This seems useful when you switch "off" GPS, then switch it "on" - and it could return "old" sample at start.

Regarding the location of the stored files - I thought it is quite easy to remember that these are stored with the application (so you do not need to search for them...). If you would like to change the folder, the easiest would be to copy the tool in any place you like! I just wanted to keep the number of buttons (and options) to very minimum ...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello,
    attached the new beta24:
    - copyright string for maps
    - improved "Input LatLon"; additional waypoint is created if you add a name
    - additional option: voice commands only when leaving track for more than 100m (configurable in map options) [feature not thoroughly tested]

remark to copyright: I thought that it must be present on the screen for legal reasons, but noone needs this information and noone wants the map be covered by this copyright information. Therefore I made it as small as possible and put in in the lower corner where it disturbs not much. But if you want, I can make it in big bold letters in the middle of the screen - here it is. (It only urges people to disable it completely.)

to my remark of my new android phone: I think it makes no sense to port (write new) GCC to Android. There are already good applications which are already on a much higher level than GCC.
    I will reduce my engagement in developing GCC to a lower level (in the last few weeks it was already very low).

Regards, Klaus
    Hello low.flying.pigs
    attached the version 4.10beta7, which should fix this error.
    Klaus
    new final version 4.12

Hello friends of GCC,

at the dropbox link
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/69ps6iqg4ajau3r/_cXdntYYU6
    is the new final (and perhaps the last) version 4.12 of GCC.
    There are also some AddOns for GCC at this dropbox link.

changes from the last beta are:
    - additional option: voice commands only for important messages i.e. when leaving track for more than 100m (configurable in map options)
    - additional option: beep instead of voice commands (especially for devices without voice capability i.e. S3857)

Regards
    Klaus
    Hello lfp, hello Cheque,

I have made a first beta with your suggestions.

- statistics also for kml import
    - improved time unit display when > 24h
    - backlightOff button now on first position in menue. Reactivation with click on left half screen -> main; on right half -> map
    - improved map display while moving map
    - map label color can be configured in Options - Main screen - Select fore/back/mapLabel-color...

- bugfix T2F import with large files (>4096 points)

Regarding backlight: Can't you use the hardware power button? How do you reactivate your device? On my device, when I use the backlight button, the touch screen is still working, but you can't see what you are doing. To reactivate my device I had to use the power button. I have improved this now.

Regarding small black corners sometimes: there is a very sophisticated algorithm to select the best map files to display. This makes sense for arbitrary maps which could overlap each other. For OSM-style map tiles this algorithm is not optimal and has its weaknesses. It could be done much more structured and with less effort. The black corners show especially when some zoom levels are missing, e.g. you have only zoom level 14 and 16. I have now changed the map tile selection for OSM-style maps. Please test if it has some weaknesses.
    Furthermore I will investigate if I can change the behaviour so that the map is displayed 1:1 (and ev. 3:2) pixel of the map to pixel of the display. This will greatly improve the quality of the map presentation, but requires much effort because some things must go the opposite way as now.
    Klaus
    new version 4.5

Hello,
    version 4.5 of GCC is now online:
    http://code.google.com/p/gccv2/downloads/list
    Jürgen, a new developer, has added a couple of nice features and fixed some bugs:

********* version 4.5 *********
    new features:
    - if track2follow and current position can´t be displayed on the same screen:
    * an additional line indicates the shortest way
    * the distance between T2F and current position is shown
    - New context menu on the map screen:
    * show the start / end position of the track to follow,
    * add an check point (only if logging is active)
    * reset map to current position
    - new energy safe options
    * switch GPS off during power off (tracklog will be interrupted, a popup will inform the user)
    * switch Backlight off after timeout
    - if a track log is activated, and in the file dialog the cancel button is pressed, logging is not started.
    - Input Lat/Long can now additionally be used, to navigate to a specific point (e.g. usefull for Geocaching)
    - in map screen: arrow now in color of track line (configurable)

Have fun
    Klaus