cramfs
nodev ramfs
vfat
msdos
nodev jffs2
yaffs
yaffs2
nodev mtd_inodefs

I apologize, I'm so new to Android I don't know what some of those terms mean?

Just guessing what's not shown It doesn't have and suspect nodev preceding something means it doesn't have that either.

So I suspect it does have ext2 and ext3 and should use one of those?

Is one preferable over the other?

Again, sorry for being such a n00b..

Thanks and Best Wishes,

b7

---------- Post added at 05:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:04 PM ----------

Some googling and think I've answered my own question.

ext4 with journaling turned off would be best as journaling entails extra writes to the sd card shortening its potential life and also takes a performance hit.

But since my gingerbread phone only has ext2 and 3 then 2 would be preffered as 2 has no journaling and journaling cannot be turned off in ext3.

Im new but will learn fast and probably screw some stuff up along the way.

Any comments good or bad or advice is much appreciated.

Thanks Guys!

b7

Nodev represents filesystems which can't be used by block devices(hard disks and memory cards...)
Mostly I wouldn't care if it ext2 or ext3 or ext4...end user performance is about same ...

If you plan on Filesystem tinkering then I would suggest keep the tune2fs and fsck binaries handy ...

Usually I use ext2 on my mini pro and it works without any problems since a year ...
On my old phone when I used ext2 ,I had massive app crashes on reboot ...so I tweaked the script for mandatory fs checking on boot(fsck the second sd card partition) ..

Mostly it's trial and error ...

I wouldn't give a damn about "articles" claiming "potential wear" with journalling..
SD Cards are cheap and expendable ...Practically it's impossible to predict it's life so all that "research is faulty"

Reactions: brut7

brut7

Mar 26, 2013
Thanks karandpr,

I went with ext2 and that seems to be fine so far.

I can't seem so far to get a swap file going. Swapper II keeps giving me an error ...

I'll keep plugging away!

Reactions: fathertomany

lsander

Jun 28, 2012
Gdynia
Huawei P9 Lite
Redmi Note 8
Yaa there are so much filesystems but not on phones I think. I use program mentioned in this thread and there are only normal ext partitions. Have no problem with ext partition.
So ext 4 is newest and someone say not stable but ai use it for a long time on phone and also choosen it when installing ubuntu on my.laptop. Dont care about this all filesystems because on phone they give nothing. So great tut and keep going.
Actually dont why people havr problems with this. It so much easy on winows and linux.

Sent from my WT19i using xda app-developers app

karandpr

Senior Mod | DC Lead | MC
Staff member
Feb 20, 2011
Xiaomi Redmi 4a
Nokia 6.1 Plus (Nokia X6)
Thanks karandpr,

I went with ext2 and that seems to be fine so far.

I can't seem so far to get a swap file going. Swapper II keeps giving me an error ...

I'll keep plugging away!

Personally I feel swap is useless ...
Most stock kernels don't support swap so swapper may not work..

brut7

Mar 26, 2013
For swap partition, you must select file system "linux swap", not ext!

Sent from my dual-booting ICS/JB O3D!

Yes I have it that way, 10 gigs fat 32 for data, 3 gigs ext2 for apps and 1 gig (almost) Linux Swap.

oh well...

Thanks though!

---------- Post added at 04:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:28 PM ----------

Personally I feel swap is useless ...
Most stock kernels don't support swap so swapper may not work..

Thanks for the info karandpr, I think I'm ready to give up on swap, reclaim that 1 gig and call it a wrap.

I've learned so much here in the past couple weeks. Thank You all very much.

b7

Thanks for the guide!

I just got me a 32 GB SD card.

How should partition that?

I thought:

28 GB FAT32
3 GB EXT4
1 GB Swap

But I wonder whether 28 GB FAT32 is too big for Android to manage and if I should make 2 smaller partitions (for instance 14 + 14 GB).

What do you think and advice?

I have been using a 32GB card for quite a while now, with only 2GB at the end of it given to extra partitions. Android handles it without problem. The only thing you may (or may not) notice is that media scanner takes a bit longer to finish.

Sent from my dual-booting ICS/JB O3D!

JadHusin

Sep 21, 2012
Melaka
I think I followed all the partitioning steps until installing SWAP and app2SD right. But then, the phone wouldn't read the SD card and even on PC this happens. See pic :

Attachments

• 60865_1284418690476_2950882_n.jpg
    60865_1284418690476_2950882_n.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 964

ibietela

Feb 26, 2013
what is the swapper used for?

Hi can you please tell us what the swapper is used for? To increase how ram or what? And how do i know it will work on my phone? Can i also use EXT2 because my phone current partition is using it.

Hi can you please tell us what the swapper is used for? To increase how ram or what? And how do i know it will work on my phone? Can i also use EXT2 because my phone current partition is using it.

Hi,

Swap is, in short, virtual RAM. With swap, a small portion of the hard drive is set aside and used like RAM. The computer will attempt to keep as much information as possible in RAM until the RAM is full. At that point, the computer will begin moving inactive blocks of memory (called pages) to the hard disk, freeing up RAM for active processes. If one of the pages on the hard disk needs to be accessed again, it will be moved back into RAM, and a different inactive page in RAM will be moved onto the hard disk ('swapped'). The trade off is disks and SD cards are considerably slower than physical RAM, so when something needs to be swapped, there is a noticeable performance hit.
Unlike traditional swap, Android's Memory Manager kills inactive processes to free up memory. Android signals to the process, then the process will usually write out a small bit of specific information about its state (for example, Google Maps may write out the map view coordinates; Browser might write the URL of the page being viewed) and then the process exits. When you next access that application, it is restarted: the application is loaded from storage, and retrieves the state information that it saved when it last closed. In some applications, this makes it seem as if the application never closed at all. This is not much different from traditional swap, except that Android apps are specially programed to write out very specific information, making Android's Memory Manager more efficient that swap.

Font: [GUIDE] Increase RAM using Swap File and Swap Partition

mazterjay

It's better to use Linux Based partition tools for Partioning-Formatting ext based File systems .
Mini-Tool and EASEUS are good tools but they are not the best nor reliable ...
It's adviable to use Partion Magic or Gparted Live for Optimum results

Insmod the ext4 modules with init.d(before Link2SD script) for ext4 support on Locked Bootloader (Thanks to zxp for the modules )

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1919861&highlight=modules

Create an USB Stick with XBOOT and boot from the USB stick to keep your OS in touch :) (just a small tip).

Thanks to karandpr for the ISO tip :laugh: :good: :victory:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi Guys! Today I will teach you how to make a partition in your MicroSD Card.
    Is very useful have a dedicated partition to have your Apps, and other for you data. The swap partition is very useful to spped-up your system, but NEVER can cosiderated how additional Ram memory. All depends of you SD speed.
    If you know something of Android, the process is very simple, however, I made this guide as easy as I could, with screenshots and stuffs.

Requirements:

- A Smartphone (this guide is based in 2011 MDPI)
    - Root
    - Busybox
    - Android (Gingerbread, Ice Cream Sandwich or Jelly Bean, I tested in 4.0.4 & I use in 4.1.2)
    - Unlocked Bootloader (need EXT4 support, not allowed in stock kernel)
    - EXT4 Kernel Support (most of kernels for Xperia 2011 have EXT4 support)
    - A FORMATED 8GB MicroSD Card or Higher
    - The MiniTool Partition Wizard (Free)

After to Partition your MicroSD Card (to step 2 & 3):

- Link2SD
    - Swapper 2 (for Root Users)
    NOTE: I’m no responsible if you brick your phone, be very careful.
    Ready? Here We GO :good:

Step 1: Partition your MicroSD Card

Note: To make this post, I will use an 16 GB card how as example, but if you have lower on higer, can use it choosing your favorite sizes. Sizes witch I used are for reference, and you can use the sizes what you prefer. Repeat, I am NOT responsable for damages in your MicroSD Card, Phone on another damage in your hardware.

First To All, Connect your MicroSD with the adapter and open MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition

38330985.jpg

You can see the principal partition of you memory. Right Click and Choose Delete

37898109.jpg

Now right click in your memory and click "Create". Set the dialog how the image.

73348386.jpg

Next, click in the Unallocated space, click in yes and set it a new partition how this image:

31568607.jpg

To continue, click again in the Unallocated space, click again in yes and set it again a new partition how this image:

91383323.jpg

Now click in apply.

10840792.jpg

And Wait for the action finish.

24738369.jpg

When has finished, disconnect your MicroSD (secure) and follow the step 2.

Step 2: Setting Up Your Phone: Link2SD

Now, we procced to configure the Swap, and the EXT4 for apps partition in your phone.

First Install Link2SD.

Shut down your Phone and put the partitioned MicroSD card in your phone. Now Start your Phone and open "Link2SD", and give Root Permisions. Select ext4, wait while script is creating and reboor your phone.

screenshot2013012920233.png
    screenshot2013012920234.png
    screenshot2013012920235.png

Open again the Link2SD and go to Settings, and choose this parameters.

qtjq.png
    screenshot2013012920264.png
    screenshot2013012920265.png

Now, when your install an app, this will be automatical moved to the EXT4 partition. Remember, when you will going to install an app and wanna have in your phone memory, discheck "Auto Link", and install, after recheck "Auto Link". With Link2SD you can install, uninstall, Link and remove links of your apps.

Step 3: Setting Up Your Phone: Swapper 2 .

Now we configure the SWAP partition in our Android. Is very simple. Install Swapper 2 , open and set Root permission, and click in "Ads Off"

screenshot2013012921252.png

Now go to Settings and set "Swap Size" and "Swappiness" how show the images.

screenshot2013012921264.png
    screenshot2013012921265.png

Now go to Advanced Preferences and set this:

screenshot2013012921262.png

Now go to principal screen of Swapper 2 and ON the swap partition.

screenshot2013012921273.png

Finish! Now, you have you SWAP partition working :fingers-crossed:

Enjoy you Phone with EXT4 + SWAP! :highfive:

NOTE: this tutorial and the images are of my authority. Remember, this is only any of a lot of ways to part your MicroSD Card (CWM, TWRP and other windows apps and linux commands make it) and get SWAP working (there are millions of scripts and other apps that do), but this is the way that I use and think is the easiest to get swap and ext4 parts.

Remember press Thanks!
    Partitioning your SD card works with locked bootloader aswell. First you must have Rooted device, CWM installed, busybox and a memory card.

1) Backup and format your SD card.
    2) Enter CWM
    3) Go into advanced and pick. Partition SD card
    4) Choose the sizes you want
    5) Reboot and download Link2SD from play store.
    6) Open it and pick sdext2.
    7) Reboot and you have it. To check, open file manager and go into Data. There should be a folder called sdext2

Press thanks if I helped

Sent from my WT19i
    HI sayhellotwoheaven,

Hey guys, I have a new, low end t-mobile concord running gingerbread and I'm rather new to android, this is my first droid phone.
    I am generally excellent in a windows environment and rooted the phone yesterday (yes, it's really rooted with SU and all) using instruction found on this website.

So I'm planning on partitioning and using for storage/apps/Linux swap just as shown in the tutorial using a 16 gig class 10 card.
    The phone really needs the extra space and assume the swap is used as RAM like in a pc.

Do the think using ext4 format will work on a gingerbread phone or should i use ext2 or 3?
    Please remember I'm capable but new to all this.

Thanks guys, great tutorial and love the website.

Best Wishes,

b7

Go to terminal emulator or adb shell and execute the following command ..
    Code:
    cat /proc/filesystems
    It should provide you with list of filesystems supported by kernel/OS....

Hi,

Swap is, in short, virtual RAM. With swap, a small portion of the hard drive is set aside and used like RAM. The computer will attempt to keep as much information as possible in RAM until the RAM is full. At that point, the computer will begin moving inactive blocks of memory (called pages) to the hard disk, freeing up RAM for active processes. If one of the pages on the hard disk needs to be accessed again, it will be moved back into RAM, and a different inactive page in RAM will be moved onto the hard disk ('swapped'). The trade off is disks and SD cards are considerably slower than physical RAM, so when something needs to be swapped, there is a noticeable performance hit.
    Unlike traditional swap, Android's Memory Manager kills inactive processes to free up memory. Android signals to the process, then the process will usually write out a small bit of specific information about its state (for example, Google Maps may write out the map view coordinates; Browser might write the URL of the page being viewed) and then the process exits. When you next access that application, it is restarted: the application is loaded from storage, and retrieves the state information that it saved when it last closed. In some applications, this makes it seem as if the application never closed at all. This is not much different from traditional swap, except that Android apps are specially programed to write out very specific information, making Android's Memory Manager more efficient that swap.

Font: [GUIDE] Increase RAM using Swap File and Swap Partition
    It's better to use Linux Based partition tools for Partioning-Formatting ext based File systems .
    Mini-Tool and EASEUS are good tools but they are not the best nor reliable ...
    It's adviable to use Partion Magic or Gparted Live for Optimum results

Insmod the ext4 modules with init.d(before Link2SD script) for ext4 support on Locked Bootloader (Thanks to zxp for the modules )

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1919861&highlight=modules