Search This thread

Lekselius

May 18, 2009
this did not work for me.

new blocked state: true even after doing

pm block com.sonymobile.advancedwidget.entrance
reboot

several time.

The state should be "new blocked state: true" after running "pm block com.sonymobile.advancedwidget.entrance" so the command has been successful. Repeating the same command does not toggle the value.

(To reverse you should run "pm unblock com.sonymobile.advancedwidget.entrance" and then the state should be "new blocked state: false")

To check if the command has worked after reboot, on the home screen slide from the homebutton (the house) upwards, if you only have the google now symbol all is as expected. If you still have both "google now" and "what's new", something is wrong. Also the "What's new" app should not be visible anymore in the app drawer.

ghackett

Aug 7, 2007
I just got my Z2 two days ago and I ran into the same problem : What's New app sucks.

So here is the solution without root

1) run adb (I assume you have a working adb)
2) adb shell
3) pm block com.sonymobile.advancedwidget.entrance
4) reboot
5) Done!

And Please "Thanks" me if this works for you.
Thanks so much! Worked on my new Xperia Z3 Compact too! TIL

3Shirts

Jan 18, 2009
Bedford
Yep, worked on full size Z3 as well. I'm so used to swiping straight up for Google Now, that bloody thing was getting on my nerves!

Mar 23, 2011
Out of curiosity, can you run this command through a terminal emulator instead of connecting to a computer and using adb?

garment69

Mar 19, 2008
I just got my Z2 two days ago and I ran into the same problem : What's New app sucks.

2) adb shell
4) reboot
5) Done!

I know this is probably a dumb question so apologies but, how do you PM block?

garment69

Mar 19, 2008
Do you have a working ADB?

Yes, just not sure what the exact command would be. I have only used ADB a few times.

Actually, not sure if it is working. I have my device connected and after typing cmd and getting the command prompt window I can get my device listed. Typing in "adb devices".

Last edited:

garment69

Mar 19, 2008
Yes, just not sure what the exact command would be. I have only used ADB a few times.

Actually, not sure if it is working. I have my device connected and after typing cmd and getting the command prompt window I can get my device listed. Typing in "adb devices".

I got it working. Thanks for taking an interest!

pdes

Aug 2, 2008

2) adb shell
4) reboot
5) Done!

For a newbie, there must be some stuff missing! Could you please fill in the blanks as to what needs to be selected in ADB (unrooted) when the device should be connected, whether there needs to be some USB connection changes etc.

Cheers

zippy01

Jul 26, 2012
Thank you for this worked on my Xperia Z with my root disabled :)

I did get some errors in cmd but that may have been an out of date ABD?

It was something about app_process causing a security error

cherry919

Feb 10, 2011
Not working on Verizon Z3v

I was able to successfully execute the block command on the Z3v, but upon reboot I kept getting force closes, I unblocked it with adb and my phone booted properly, all is well. Things are never easy with Verizon. Still looking for a solution.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    get it done without root

2) adb shell
    4) reboot
    5) Done!

2) adb shell
    4) reboot
    5) Done!

That worked Perfectly!! thanks dude.

One question though, what would be the reverse of the "pm block com.sonymobile.advancedwidget.entrance" cmd, so the whatsnew button would re-appear? Just in-case i need to send my phone in for repairs......again :(

And for those wanting an absolute noob explanation:
    1: download adb (I cant post outside links yet, so just google this, there should be 3 files in a zip)
    2: store it in the root of C:\
    3: go into your phone Settings>about Phone>then click like 10 times on the 'build number' box until you are granted developer privileges
    4: go into your phone Settings>Developer Options>and enable USB debugging and connect your phone to the computer
    3: open cmd in administrator mode
    4: navigate to the folder with adb by typing the following: cd c:\adb
    5: type the following then press enter: adb shell
    6: type the following then press enter pm block com.sonymobile.advancedwidget.entrance
    7: reboot
    I've tried to remove on a rooted 402 rom using both ES file explorer and titanium backup without success, they both say uninstall failed. :(

install this app from paly store then uninstall what you want

i uninstall "What's New" from this app https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ljmobile.system.app
    What does the swipe up from home button area look like after removing What's New? Is there only the Google icon? Is it centered? Just curious....

Since i got root now, i uninstalled it via "Titanium Backup". And yes, only Google icon and centered.
    D
    Deleted member 3358925

2) adb shell
    4) reboot
    5) Done!

Thanks! That worked great.
    Looks like you can also disable the Small Apps widget and launcher like this as well :D