Desire HD GPS Fix

Search This thread

19ninety

Apr 14, 2010
Oxford
After having no GPS for about a year and getting annoyed with it not working I accidentally found a post about soldering wire to the contacts.
Well, rather than soldering I wondered if I could make a little tin foil antenna. Works a treat!! Pics below:

Attachments

• P1030242.JPG
    P1030242.JPG
    26 KB · Views: 6,086
  • P1030243.JPG
    P1030243.JPG
    29.4 KB · Views: 6,516

michaelopolis

Jul 9, 2012
Seems like a great idea,, much easier than soldering,,,, did you sandwich the foil between two pieces of paper ,, was it easy to clip it back together with this mod.
Very tempted to try it.

krzych

Jul 29, 2009
Warsaw
hi,im struggling with enanche GPS signal too. just two questions..is it just aluminium foil ( http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/12/Folie_2007.jpg ) or some other foil? and behind,is a piece of paper to cover motherboard contacts?
thanks in advance
Any conducting foil should be good enough if you ask me. But look at other threads - about resistance/lenght of the antenna etc. - this one is quite a guess, but should be better than not having antenna at all. By the way, if you have broken antenna (the cover), you could apply this patch to the cover leaving the spring contacts to do the resto fo the job.

And more... A new cover (antenna) on eBay is about 6 pounds? (10 euros?) - is it worth of making this by yourself when you can get a new cover?

rickowsky

May 23, 2009
After having no GPS for about a year and getting annoyed with it not working I accidentally found a post about soldering wire to the contacts.
Well, rather than soldering I wondered if I could make a little tin foil antenna. Works a treat!! Pics below:

Could you please post the URL to that web? I'd like to know how to open that cover

Thanks

zphantom1

Mar 21, 2010
Cassville, MO
Template

Is it possible that you could upload a folding and cutting template? Also, (and I believe it was mentioned a bit back) it appears that you have a piece of paper behind the foil to prevent accidental contact with the board other than on the antenna points. Would something like this also work on the other antenna points?:confused:

mitmeister

Jan 3, 2011
Chennai
Nice idea .. but i am afraid of shorting motherboard contacts... Perhaps any more detail from you in the long run would be appreciated...:)

Also my spring contact broke as soon as i tried to pull it up. so may be soldering a wire would fix my GPS!!!

shaz2sxy

Aug 20, 2012
Tried this. It helped a little but couldnt get a good connection and as soon as i moved the phone it would go :(
probably try to soldier a wire onto it

19ninety

Apr 14, 2010
Oxford
Is it possible that you could upload a folding and cutting template? Also, (and I believe it was mentioned a bit back) it appears that you have a piece of paper behind the foil to prevent accidental contact with the board other than on the antenna points. Would something like this also work on the other antenna points?:confused:

Damn, sorry I missed all the replies!!!
So to make the template I used a craft knife and a board and trial and error cut the paper until it fitted correctly, once I have that done I used that as a template to make the foil.

I used the paper to prevent the foil from touching the motherboard. Its just regular kitchen foil.

To remove the cover I CAREFULLY used a razor blade to lift the side of the cover closest to the camera, its very tight the first time you try and open it, once it been off a couple of times its really easy to do.

To update this methods results, I found it worked for a while but then I started having GRP issues again. I was going to solder a wire in the instead but was due a upgrade so ... HOX ftw.

Soldering a wire in there would be pretty easy using a fine tip on a gas soldering iron, may be a bit more fiddly with a regular fixed bit electric iron but certainly doable. This would be a better fix, though have a look on fleaBay, it may be worth trying a new GPS cover ... I'm certain the issue lies with a really ****ty connection between the motherboard pins and the antenna points on the back of the cover and nothing else.

Sorry again for the slow replies guys, I posted and set for notifications and then forgot about it, was only by chance I found the notifs in my spam folder.

Last edited:

AndroidAdski

Dec 9, 2012
GPS FIX

If you flash the file attached to this reply it will fix your gps issues :)

Attachments

• vision_wipe_efs-signed.zip
    417.9 KB · Views: 277

xburian

Nov 27, 2012
If Im flashing it, some error occure and it is aborted.
Im doing something wrong.
Should I rename the file or something like it?
Thanks for reply.

Sent from DHD - Tapatalk

mmessass

Jan 5, 2008

EDIT: Please dont jump into conclusions too soon as I did! At first I thought tha this fix was working 100% but I then noticed that although I (at last) had a signal it was too weak compared to a 'healthy' gps receiver and the phone lost it as soon as i got in a moving car or changed direction.
I used tinfoil from my kitchen, plain printer paper, a pair of scissors and a cheap modeling knife. I used the 'trial and error' method just like you said and cut out the paper for insulation first. I trimmed holes for the two flash leds and the strange circular part right next to them.. I then cut the tin foil a tad larger than the papers area and I folded its edges all around to keep it from falling apart.
Congratulations for thinking so cleverly. Thank you for uploading and sharing this fix.

With 19ninety's permission I could draft up a template for that and upload it later on.

With
Nice idea .. but i am afraid of shorting motherboard contacts... Perhaps any more detail from you in the long run would be appreciated...:)

Also my spring contact broke as soon as i tried to pull it up. so may be soldering a wire would fix my GPS!!!

EDIT: My spring contact also broke apart but it seems to have little on this fix. If the tinfoil has enough width then it should lie correctly on what remains of the broken spring on the main board. The problem is that after a few days the tinfoil looses some of its width due to continuous stress that we apply on the phone (while holding it or having it in our pockets) and thus loosing contact

Last edited:

19ninety

Apr 14, 2010
Oxford
This gps fix WORKS 100%. I just tried it and i got instant gps fix using gps test app. I used tinfoil from my kitchen, plain printer paper, a pair of scissors and a cheap modeling knife. I used the 'trial and error' method just like you said and cut out the paper for insulation first. I trimmed holes for the two flash leds and the strange circular part right next to them.. I then cut the tin foil a tad larger than the papers area and I folded its edges all around to keep it from falling apart.
Congratulations for thinking so cleverly. Thank you for uploading and sharing this fix.

With 19ninety's permission I could draft up a template for that and upload it later on.

With

My spring contact also broke apart but it seems to have no affect on this fix. If the tinfoil has enough width then it should lie correctly on what remains of the broken spring on the main board.

Sure you may make a template if it helps anyone else who has this issue :)

Reactions: mike72_1

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Could you please post the URL to that web? I'd like to know how to open that cover

Thanks

It's just round the corner:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1318892

Sent from my HTC Desire HD using xda app-developers app
    This gps fix WORKS 100%. I just tried it and i got instant gps fix using gps test app. I used tinfoil from my kitchen, plain printer paper, a pair of scissors and a cheap modeling knife. I used the 'trial and error' method just like you said and cut out the paper for insulation first. I trimmed holes for the two flash leds and the strange circular part right next to them.. I then cut the tin foil a tad larger than the papers area and I folded its edges all around to keep it from falling apart.

With

My spring contact also broke apart but it seems to have no affect on this fix. If the tinfoil has enough width then it should lie correctly on what remains of the broken spring on the main board.

Sure you may make a template if it helps anyone else who has this issue :)
    No sense buying new cover, it doesn't help...

It also worked for me.
    I tested the old one with a DMM and there was a broken circuit, so the antenna was obviously not connected.
    The new cover was perfect, and now I get a lock in about 4-20 seconds, depending on the weather conditions.:victory: