[GUIDE]LG G Pad 8.3 GPE (V510)(ROOT)(Recovery)(4.4.4 Sideload)(ROM)(GENERAL INFO)

Search This thread

akshunj

Feb 27, 2011
Atlanta
Awesome step by step instructions. Easily adaptable to linux. THANKS!

To any linux users, once you reboot the tablet into the bootloader, you will need to issue the fastboot commands via SU at the linux command line: sudo fastboot oem unlock

Hope that helps someone.

--Akshun J

Reactions: Mixinitup4Christ

sleekmason

Dec 22, 2013
Fayetteville
sleekmason.wordpress.com
linux user

To any linux users, once you reboot the tablet into the bootloader, you will need to issue the fastboot commands via SU at the linux command line: sudo fastboot oem unlock

Hope that helps someone.

--Akshun J

I would absolutely love it if you would post a how to in total for linux! I am using AntiX, but could boot into mint or something else if there is some sort of catch.

Mixinitup4Christ

Jun 23, 2013
Grand Prairie, TX

Hope that helps someone.

--Akshun J

I would absolutely love it if you would post a how to in total for linux! I am using AntiX, but could boot into mint or something else if there is some sort of catch.

I'm going to add that linux tip to the OP!

Also, akshun, if you had any linux setup tips I'll post them to the OP and credit you!

Mindspin_311

Feb 25, 2011
Sandy Springs, GA
I was able to unlock my GPE, having issues flashing Root and TWRP.

I am getting the following error when I run "fastboot boot PALMAN.img" - cannot load "PALMAN.img" : No such file or directory

This is how I got there..

cd Desktop/android-sdk-windows/platform-tools

adb devices

adb reboot bootloader

fastboot devices

fastboot boot PALMAN.img

I have the PALMAN.img saved to my internal storage.

Last edited:
Reactions: rsevarg

Mindspin_311

Feb 25, 2011
Sandy Springs, GA
With the command you are running the img file needs to be in your platform-tools folder

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

That's what I figured. I was sort of piggy-backing off the N5 process since the commands here are somewhat vague to me.

How do I get adb looking on the phone for the PALMAN.img file? What command string do I need to run?

Also, once I have TWRP flashed, can I simply use TWRP to flash the SuperSU ZIP?

schalmers

Apr 17, 2010
OnePlus 7T
Google Pixel 6
You need to move the image file to your pc you can't flash it from the phone as far as I know. Once you are in twrp you can flash SuperSU.zip which needs to be left on your phone

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Mindspin_311

Feb 25, 2011
Sandy Springs, GA
Thats what I thought. I might just follow this set of instructions from the N5 thread, seems to be the same.

2. Installing a Custom Recovery

Turn the phone off. Then boot it into the bootloader/fastboot mode by holding volume down + power.

Rename the recovery file that you downloaded above to recovery.img. *Make sure that you rename it to recovery.img NOT recovery.img.img* Remember that you should place the file in the platform-tools folder inside of the android-sdk-windows folder on your desktop.

Open command prompt and run the following commands:

Code:

Code:
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
On the phone, use the volume buttons to scroll onto "Restart Bootloader" and hit power to select it. After the bootloader reloads, use the volume buttons to scroll onto "Recovery Mode" and power to select it. You should then be greeted with your newly installed custom recovery.
Close the command prompt window.

3. Rooting

Now that your phone has an unlocked bootloader and a custom recovery installed you have a two options to gain root (Pick one or the other. You don't need to do both)

Option A) Flash SuperSU binaries which will give you root with the stock rom
Confirm that you have downloaded the SuperSU zip from the downloads section above and that it is located in the platform-tools folder inside of the android-sdk-windows folder on your desktop.
Turn the phone off then boot into the bootloader. (volume down + power). Once in the bootloader use the volume rockers to scroll onto Recovery Mode, then press power to select it. This should bring you into your newly installed custom recovery. Leave the phone at the home page of the custom recovery.
Open a command prompt window and run the following commands:

Code:

Code:
adb push UPDATE-SuperSU-vX.XX.zip /sdcard/
This will copy the SuperSU zip onto your phone. Once the command has completed continue.

Instructions for TeamWin Recovery Project (TWRP):
Install > browse to SuperSU zip and select the it
Swipe to confirm the installation. Then reboot.

mushat3k

Mar 12, 2012
Cleveland
I got root but in a slightly differ manner. I unlocked my g pad and then booted up twrp, however I forgot to put the supersu zip anywhere (unlocking wipes the tab and I don't have an external yet). When I went to reboot it asked if I wanted to install SuperSU so I swiped to yes.

It installed but the tab was not rooted. After this step I had to update SuperSU from the play store and at that time I gained root

Sent from my LG-V510 using Tapatalk

Mindspin_311

Feb 25, 2011
Sandy Springs, GA
OK, so I dropped the PALMAN.img into the Platform Tools folder, then ran the following command:

Code:
fastboot flash recovery PALMAN.img

It ran and said finished, but I when I tried to boot into TWRP via Vol Down + Power, the phone booted like normal. I then did "adb reboot bootloader" and launched recovery and I got an error message on the tablet saying "No command".

Im stumped now. Do I need to rename PALMAN.img to recovery.img?

---------- Post added at 09:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:26 PM ----------

I got root but in a slightly differ manner. I unlocked my g pad and then booted up twrp, however I forgot to put the supersu zip anywhere (unlocking wipes the tab and I don't have an external yet). When I went to reboot it asked if I wanted to install SuperSU so I swiped to yes.

It installed but the tab was not rooted. After this step I had to update SuperSU from the play store and at that time I gained root

Sent from my LG-V510 using Tapatalk

Ok, I renamed PALMAN.img to recovery.img and did the process again, everything worked.

Same thing happened to me, it halfway flashed SuperSU, then once the tablet booted, I updated and finished the process.

sleekmason

Dec 22, 2013
Fayetteville
sleekmason.wordpress.com
How to unlock the bootloader and root in Debian Linux

This guide assumes you are in root for the commands, and have a basic understanding of the terminal. Use sudo if you wish. Part of this comes from this guide: http://avedo.net/773/install-adb-and-fastboot-under-linux/ part from this guide: http://bernaerts.dyndns.org/linux/75-debian/280-debian-wheezy-android-tools-adb-fastboot-qtadb and partly from this forum. I'm using i386 AntiX (debian pure), if you are using amd/64 bit you will need some dependencies:

Code:
dpkg --add-architecture i386
Code:
apt-get update ; apt-get install libc6:i386 libncurses5:i386 libstdc++6:i386

you will need to go into developer options to enable debugging on your device.

You will need to create the udev rules for your phone on your computer. use "lsusb" to find the manufactures code. it will show up as a nexus 4 device...interesting.

Create a folder /etc/udev/rules.d/99-android.rules you can use gedit if you like:
Code:
 gedit /etc/udev/rules.d/99-android.rules

Put this inside and save, changing the manufactures code as neccesary, and changing "your-login" to your login name.

Code:
# Google Nexus devices
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="18d1", MODE="0666", OWNER="your-login" # Google Nexus devices
## restart udev## #
Code:
service udev restart

I'm keeping this simple, so here we go! Use the above links as reference as neccesary.

Code:
apt-get purge android-tools-adb android-tools-fastboot
##You shouldn't use adb from the repositories##
2. Down load the latest adb bundle from here: http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html
Code:
unzip adt-bundle-linux-x86-20131030.zip
Code:
mv adt-bundle-linux-x86-20131030 /opt/android-sdk-linux-x86-20131030
## (other google products reside here. Also, this takes a minute or so on slow machines)##

Code:
ln -s /opt/android-sdk-linux-x86-20131030/sdk/platform-tools/adb /usr/bin
##(this links to /usr/bin to make life easy)##
Code:
ln -s /opt/android-sdk-linux-x86-20131030/sdk/platform-tools/fastboot /usr/bin
##(same)##
7. We are ready to begin!
Code:
./adb start-server
Code:
adb devices
You will need to confirm the connection on your tablet.

Now we can start the process of unlocking the bootloader.

Code:
adb reboot bootloader
Code:
fastboot oem unlock

Start and wait to fully reboot. This will factory reset the device, at least it did mine, and so you will have to go back into developer options to enable debugging. to have root you will need to install a custom recovery. The latest twrp is probably the way to go and can be downloaded through this thread

11. Download supersu THROUGH THE LINK ON THIS SITE!! to your phones sd card.
12. download the TWRP image THROUGH YOUR COMPUTER, and place in the folder /opt/android-sdk-linux-x86-20131030/sdk/platform-tools, and rename it to
Code:
 recovery.img
13. reconnect to device and open terminal, goto
Code:
 cd /opt/android-sdk-linux-x86-20131030/sdk/platform-tools
Code:
 fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
15. On the phone, use the volume buttons to scroll onto "Restart Bootloader" and hit power to select it. After the bootloader reloads, use the volume buttons to scroll onto "Recovery Mode" and power to select it. You should then be greeted with your newly installed custom recovery. Thankyou @mindspin_123!
16. navigate to the supersu zip and install. Reboot!! YES!!!!! you're rooted.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mixinitup4Christ

jk8260

Dec 23, 2013
Avalon
Success, different TWRP experience than expected

Noob things worth noting about my experience...

- First thank you for these instructions and the links they were all very helpful. :good:

- At first my device was not recognized by 'ADB devices' command I think because my S4 drivers were conflicting (windows would ding and act like it was connected but no tablet showed up in Explorer). So from Windows device manager I uninstalled the drivers (only possible while plugged in to the tablet or it would disappear) then reinstalled and did then get the yellow triangle in device manager and then pointed the update of drivers to the Google USB Debug Driver from post #1. I also toggled between MTP (Media Device) and PTP (Camera) under the USB computer connection setting in the Notification area. Then ADB wold finally list my device with 'ADB devices' command.

- After the unlock the bootloader screen said 'unlocked' but I was no longer connected via ADB, so after waiting awhile to be sure that it was finished I then manually rebooted with the power button. At that point I got the android guy with the universe in his stomach for awhile (formating and resetting I am guessing) then rebooted once more when all done just to be sure before

- Similar to #31 after unlocking my V510 and manually rebooting I then booted into TWRP but had not copied the SuperSu to my SD card (dooh). So when I selected Reboot from the TWRP menu it then prompted me something close to 'You do not have root yet, would you like to install SuperSU' which I agreed to and the tab rebooted. Once rebooted back into the stock ROM I checked the notifications area and there was a message that said something like 'Click here to install SuperSu' and finish rooting which I did. After that when I tried starting SuperSu it told me that I needed to upgrade it from either the PlayStore or by downloading and the using TWRP. I choose the PlayStore method and simply clicked the 'Update' button on the SuperSu page in the PlayStore.

All good and rooted now.

Just wanted to add my observations that were slightly different than expected so to help any other noobs out there, all in all it was very easy and fun. Just rooted my S4 recently and this was much easier, partly why I got the GPE version of the LG 8.3...

thanks again

bstaruk

Jun 10, 2013
Boston
brian.staruk.me
Everything worked perfectly for me, except one thing: make sure you put the recovery img file in the same directory as your ADB executable. So if you followed this guide, that'd be in "C:\Android-adb\".

If you try to install the recovery img from another folder (like I did) it'll say it was installed successfully, but when you try to boot into recovery you'll get the broken android symbol.

Cheers!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    How to Unlock, Root, Update, Install Custom Recovery, and ROM your LG G Pad 8.3 GPE (V510)

First off if you aren't already familiar with ADB and FASTBOOT, please take some time and read over this post (thanks @ricky310711 ).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Drivers

Windows 7 -- MTP Installs automatically, ADB Bridge requires Google USB Driver
    Windows XP -- MTP needs LG Drivers, ADB Bridge requires Google USB Driver

LG United Mobile Driver (from G2) -- Will install drivers to access G-Pad as MTP device
    Google USB Debug Driver

Installing ADB Drivers
    Windows
    1. Right click on the device with the triangle (Probably named "LG V510") in device manager
    2. Choose "Update Driver"
    3. Choose "Browse My Computer for driver software"
    4. Locate where the Google USB drivers extracted with the "Browse" button
    5. Choose "Next"
    6. You computer should pick the drivers up and install
    Linux (Thanks @sleekmason )

This guide assumes you are in root for the commands, and have a basic understanding of the terminal. Use sudo if you wish. Part of this comes from this guide: http://avedo.net/773/install-adb-and-fastboot-under-linux/ part from this guide: http://bernaerts.dyndns.org/linux/75-debian/280-debian-wheezy-android-tools-adb-fastboot-qtadb and partly from this forum. I'm using i386 AntiX (debian pure), if you are using amd/64 bit you will need some dependencies:

Code:
    dpkg --add-architecture i386
    Code:
    apt-get update ; apt-get install libc6:i386 libncurses5:i386 libstdc++6:i386

you will need to go into developer options to enable debugging on your device.

You will need to create the udev rules for your phone on your computer. use "lsusb" to find the manufactures code. it will show up as a nexus 4 device...interesting.

Create a folder /etc/udev/rules.d/99-android.rules you can use gedit if you like:
    Code:
     gedit /etc/udev/rules.d/99-android.rules

Put this inside and save, changing the manufactures code as neccesary, and changing "your-login" to your login name.

Code:
    # Google Nexus devices
    SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="18d1", MODE="0666", OWNER="your-login" # Google Nexus devices
    ## restart udev## #
    Code:
    service udev restart

I'm keeping this simple, so here we go! Use the above links as reference as neccesary.

Code:
    apt-get purge android-tools-adb android-tools-fastboot
    ##You shouldn't use adb from the repositories##
    2. Down load the latest adb bundle from here: http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html
    Code:
    unzip adt-bundle-linux-x86-20131030.zip
    Code:
    mv adt-bundle-linux-x86-20131030 /opt/android-sdk-linux-x86-20131030
    ## (other google products reside here. Also, this takes a minute or so on slow machines)##

Code:
    ln -s /opt/android-sdk-linux-x86-20131030/sdk/platform-tools/adb /usr/bin
    ##(this links to /usr/bin to make life easy)##
    Code:
    ln -s /opt/android-sdk-linux-x86-20131030/sdk/platform-tools/fastboot /usr/bin
    ##(same)##

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    How-To

---------------------------------------
    How to sideload the 4.4.2 Update
    This should be quite simple:

1. Download the 4.4.2 OTA (Stolen from: This Thread)
    2. Make sure you have USB Debugging enabled in Developer Options
    3. Connect the device to your computer and make sure the drivers are installed
      Code:
      adb devices
    4. Command your device to reboot into the recovery
      Code:
      adb reboot recovery
    5. When the recovery loads you will see a red exclamation point, press and hold the power button, press the Vol. Up button, release both buttons
    6. Make sure your device is connected
      Code:
      adb devices
    7. You should see a list;
      -Reboot System
      -Apply Update from ADB
      wipte data/factory reset
      -wipe cache partition​
    8. Choose "Apply Update from ADB"
    9. Sideload the Update ZIP
      Code:
      adb sideload a0bd45922b5958a38acef76f577f527268ef90db.signed-KRT16O.L004_user-KOT49H.L004_user_update.zip
    10. You should get a progress indicator and Status when complete
    How to sideload the 4.4.4 Update
    If you are running TWRP you can skip the steps below and simply restore this backup thanks to @djkinetic!

@cam30era reports problems sideloading this in the stock recovery, if you have problems try booting into TWRP to sideload the update:

1. Download the 4.4.4 OTA (Stolen from: This Thread)
    2. Make sure you have USB Debugging enabled in Developer Options
    3. Connect the device to your computer and make sure the drivers are installed
      Code:
      adb devices
    4. Command your device to reboot into the recovery
      Code:
      adb reboot recovery
    5. When the recovery loads you will see a red exclamation point, press and hold the power button, press the Vol. Up button, release both buttons
      Code:
      adb devices
    7. You should see a list;
      -Reboot System
      -Apply Update from ADB
      wipte data/factory reset
      -wipe cache partition​
    8. Choose "Apply Update from ADB"
    9. Sideload the Update ZIP
      Code:
      adb sideload ff3c360e108c52aac952f10c3dd4c6c5ce66a3ce.signed-KOT49H.L004_user-KTU84P.L002_user_update.zip
    10. You should get a progress indicator and Status when complete
    How to Unlock Your Bootloader

(Note for Linux users: fastboot commands must be issued using sudo. Thanks: @akshunj )
    1. Make sure you have USB Debugging enabled in Developer Options
    2. Connect the device to your computer and make sure the drivers are installed
      Code:
      adb devices
    3. Command your device to reboot into the bootloader
      Code:
      adb reboot bootloader
    4. Make sure your device is connected
      Code:
      fastboot devices
    5. Command your device to unlock the bootloader
      Code:
      fastboot oem unlock
    6. IMPORTANT:You WILL softbrick your device if you don't allow the device to fully reboot before flashing a custom recovery
      If you didn't pay attention and loaded custom recovery before a full reboot:
      1. Download the Stock Recovery(Thanks @autoprime)
      2. Make sure your device is connected
        Code:
        adb devices
      3. Reboot into the bootloader
        Code:
        adb reboot bootloader
      4. Make sure your device is connected
        Code:
        fastboot devices
      5. Boot the stock recovery live
        Code:
        fastboot boot C:\android\17-recovery.img
      6. Let the stock recovery do its thing and then reboot
    How to root the Stock ROM (Maintaining Stock Recovery for OTAs)

(Note for Linux users: fastboot commands must be issued using sudo. Thanks: @akshunj )
    1. Unlock the Bootloader
    2. Reboot
    3. Download the SuperSU ZIP from Chainfire to your SDCard
    4. Connect the device to your computer and make sure the drivers are installed
      Code:
      adb devices
    5. Reboot into the bootloader
      Code:
      adb reboot bootloader
      Code:
      fastboot devices
    7. Boot a Custom Recovery live (TWRP; no cwm yet)
      Code:
      fastboot boot PALMAN.img
    8. Press Install
    9. Select the SuperSU ZIP file
    10. Swipe to Confirm Flash
    11. Reboot System
    12. Have Fun!
    How to Install Custom Recovery
    IMPORTANT:You WILL softbrick your device if you don't allow the device to fully reboot after unlocking the bootloader.
    1. Download a custom recovery (TWRP; no CWM yet)
    2. Unlock the Bootloader
    3. Reboot
    4. Connect the device to your computer and make sure the drivers are installed
      Code:
      adb devices
    5. Reboot into the bootloader
      Code:
      adb reboot bootloader
      Code:
      fastboot devices
    7. Flash the custom recovery of your choice
      (Note: Some people have had issues flashing the recovery with the file named "PALMAN.img" if you have a problem rename it to "recovery.img")
      Code:
      fastboot flash recovery PALMAN.img
    8. Reboot
    Roll Your Own Kernel... BY @sleekmason

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2628951
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    General Info

LG G Pad 8.3 GPE Partitions
    Per the KRT160 stock firmware released by @autoprime
    • 0 - PrimaryGPT
    • 1 - Modem
    • 2 - sbl1
    • 3 - sbl2
    • 4 - sbl3
    • 5 - rpm
    • 6 - tz
    • 7 - aboot
    • 8 - sbl1b
    • 9 - sbl2b
    • 10 - sbl3b
    • 11 - rpmb
    • 12 - tzb
    • 13 - abootb
    • 14 - imgdata
    • 15 - persist
    • 16 - boot
    • 17 - recovery
    LG G Pad 8.3 GPE OTAs

I don't believe there are any custom ROMs available for the V510 yet, I'll keep adding things to this as they come up! This is my first guide, so if you have suggestions please feel free to message me!

THANKS TO:
    @autoprime (for the stock partition images)
    @Dees_Troy and TWRP for the custom recovery
    @Chainfire for SuperSU
    @ricky310711 for the great post on ADB and FASTBOOT
    @sleekmason for teaching us how to roll our own kernel
    The Whole Dev Community!
    Mom And Dad
    Santa Claus
    The Toothfairy
    Global Cooling
    Free Market
    Christopher Colombus
    oh my god. does that mean i cant custom rom on my v500??

Sigh*

Yes, you can. SEARCH THE FORUM! please.
    I have tried a few different drivers with no success. I have an HTC phone that works fine but ADB does not see the Q Pad. It has to be a driver issue. I have installed/uninstalled them multiple times with no success. I even uninstalled the HTC drivers to see if that was the problem, nope...
    Ever tried multiple usb cables (ones I know work) and tried every USB port on my laptop, nothing!

Win 7 Home, LG G Pad 8.3 GPE w/ Android 4.4.2

The driver with the triangle is probably the ADB Composite bridge. Download the Google USB Driver and install it. Then

1. Right click on the device with the triangle in device manager
    2. Choose "Update Driver"
    3. Choose "Browse My Computer for driver software"
    4. Locate where the Google USB drivers extracted with the "Browse" button
    5. Choose "Next"
    6. You computer should pick the drivers up and install
    Thanks for this helpful thread. I've done plenty of root/recovery stuff before with my Nexus devices, but it's always nice to have a thorough step-by-step walkthrough.:good:

A shame that the ROM development for this device is practically zero. :(

I agree, I was thinking that being a GPE device, development would take off. I think someone might be working on a device tree, so we may get CM11 @ some point, but don't hold your breath. Still a good device though, have you tried out Sleekmason's kernel?
    Trying to install the drivers has been an absolute nightmare for me. Tried with a Win 7 Laptop that shouldn't have any possibly conflicting drivers, put the tablet in USB debugging mode, find it in device manager as "other device after disabling MTP and PTP.

"View attachment 2563730

Low and behold, I get this message stating that it doesn't work.

View attachment 2563729

Tried it again on another Windows 7 machine and same problem. I have rebooted everything repeatedly as someone suggested earlier, turned USB debugging on and off over and over along with toggling MTP and PTP but no luck.

I'm already frustrated with this and I haven't even begun! A helping hand would be much appreciated.

-Kevin

Sometimes windows won't automatically see what drivers your device needs. Two things:

First, make sure that you have installed the google drivers as well ad the LG drivers.

Second, if you have to Google drivers installed then you right click on LG-V510 in device manager and choose update drivers. Then in stead of automatic installation choose let me pick the best drivers. Once you get to the list of device catgories you can choose adb category and then the adb composite bridge driver. I think I wrote the exact instructions out in another thread, but I just moved and don't have my computer up to find them. Try searching posts by me in this forum.