FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

View Poll Results: How U like my 1st post?

Awesome

175 Vote(s)
53.35%
Not bad

48 Vote(s)
14.63%
Good

66 Vote(s)
20.12%
Awful

39 Vote(s)
11.89%
Post Reply Email Thread
When installing certain custom ROMs on rooted Android smartphones or tablets, you will encounter “Status 7″ error issues once in awhile with ClockworkMod (CWM) Recovery.

Status 7 error is caused while the ROM’s updater script file checks to see if the phone model of your phone is compatible with the ROM you are installing, called “asserts”.

“Asserts” is a safety mechanism so you don’t accidentally install another phone model ROM on your phone. E.g. You tried to install Galaxy S2 ROM on a Galaxy S3 and ending up hard-bricking your phone but you got Status 7 error which saved you.

Now, this safety mechanism is great but there are times where even if you have the correct ROM for your phone, you will get Status 7 error.

This is due to an error by the developer of the ROM in the updater script, causing havoc, making people install another custom recovery like TWRP recovery for no reason.

You can fix the issue by installing TWRP recovery but if you need to restore your CWM backups later down the line, you will have to re-install CWM recovery, causing a big hassle.

Also, if you update to the latest CWM Recovery using ROM Manager, usually this problem is fixed.

But what if you did update to the latest CWM Recovery and still happens? And yes, it does happen even when you update your CWM recovery.

If you simply don’t want to change your recovery (because if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it) or you still get Status 7 error after changing recovery, you can simply edit the updater script yourself to get rid of the asserts.

All you need is a computer and a zipping program! (You might be able to even do it on your Android device with AndroZip and text editor but I haven’t tried yet.)
MAKE SURE THE ROM YOU ARE INSTALLING IS COMPATIBLE WITH YOUR ANDROID DEVICE AS INSTALLING WRONG ROM CAN BRICK YOUR DEVICE!

Before we begin, e.g. Make sure if you are installing a ROM on AT&T Galaxy S3, the ROM zip file you downloaded is for AT&T Galaxy S3 not for Verizon Galaxy S3.

Step 1. Copy the ROM zip file to your computer and extract it using your favorite unzipping software.

Step 2. Once unzipped, browse to the META-INF/com/google/android directory. You will find two files called “update-binary” and “updater-script”.

Step 3. Rename “updater-script” to “updater-script.txt” and open with your favorite text file editor.

Step 4. Get rid of the line starting with “assert” to next semi-colon. Usually this is the first line or one of the first lines at the top of the text file. Just delete them.

Step 5. Save file.

Step 6. Rename “updater-script.txt” back to “updater-script”.

Step 7. Rezip all the files you’ve unzipped.

Step 8. Copy the new, edited zip file to your phone.

Step 9. Try re-installing ROM, now it should install fine without Status 7 error.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	71.PNG
Views:	27856
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	2386370   Click image for larger version

Name:	72.PNG
Views:	28553
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	2386371   Click image for larger version

Name:	73.PNG
Views:	27393
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	2386372   Click image for larger version

Name:	74.PNG
Views:	26730
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	2386373  
The Following 33 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Ad-Free
26th January 2014, 05:39 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroTix

When installing certain custom ROMs on rooted Android smartphones or tablets, you will encounter “Status 7″ error issues once in awhile with ClockworkMod (CWM) Recovery.

Status 7 error is caused while the ROM’s updater script file checks to see if the phone model of your phone is compatible with the ROM you are installing, called “asserts”.

“Asserts” is a safety mechanism so you don’t accidentally install another phone model ROM on your phone. E.g. You tried to install Galaxy S2 ROM on a Galaxy S3 and ending up hard-bricking your phone but you got Status 7 error which saved you.

Now, this safety mechanism is great but there are times where even if you have the correct ROM for your phone, you will get Status 7 error.

This is due to an error by the developer of the ROM in the updater script, causing havoc, making people install another custom recovery like TWRP recovery for no reason.

You can fix the issue by installing TWRP recovery but if you need to restore your CWM backups later down the line, you will have to re-install CWM recovery, causing a big hassle.

Also, if you update to the latest CWM Recovery using ROM Manager, usually this problem is fixed.

But what if you did update to the latest CWM Recovery and still happens? And yes, it does happen even when you update your CWM recovery.

If you simply don’t want to change your recovery (because if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it) or you still get Status 7 error after changing recovery, you can simply edit the updater script yourself to get rid of the asserts.

All you need is a computer and a zipping program! (You might be able to even do it on your Android device with AndroZip and text editor but I haven’t tried yet.)
MAKE SURE THE ROM YOU ARE INSTALLING IS COMPATIBLE WITH YOUR ANDROID DEVICE AS INSTALLING WRONG ROM CAN BRICK YOUR DEVICE!

Before we begin, e.g. Make sure if you are installing a ROM on AT&T Galaxy S3, the ROM zip file you downloaded is for AT&T Galaxy S3 not for Verizon Galaxy S3.

Step 1. Copy the ROM zip file to your computer and extract it using your favorite unzipping software.

Step 2. Once unzipped, browse to the META-INF/com/google/android directory. You will find two files called “update-binary” and “updater-script”.

Step 3. Rename “updater-script” to “updater-script.txt” and open with your favorite text file editor.

Step 4. Get rid of the line starting with “assert” to next semi-colon. Usually this is the first line or one of the first lines at the top of the text file. Just delete them.

Step 5. Save file.

Step 6. Rename “updater-script.txt” back to “updater-script”.

Step 7. Rezip all the files you’ve unzipped.

Step 8. Copy the new, edited zip file to your phone.

Step 9. Try re-installing ROM, now it should install fine without Status 7 error.

When I tried to rename it, it stayed as a text file. It didn't revert back to the original file.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to pointystar For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift pointystar Ad-Free
2nd February 2014, 05:29 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 26

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pointystar

When I tried to rename it, it stayed as a text file. It didn't revert back to the original file.

Open up the txt file that you made. Then go to Save As and then for File Type select "All Files" and then for the File Name remove the .TXT so its just updater-script and not updater-script.txt then repack
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to drtweak For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift drtweak Ad-Free
24th December 2015, 12:20 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
force windows explorer to show all extensions
Quote:
Originally Posted by drtweak

Open up the txt file that you made. Then go to Save As and then for File Type select "All Files" and then for the File Name remove the .TXT so its just updater-script and not updater-script.txt then repack

Go to file explorer settings, under tools, go and deselect hide formats and extensions.
31st December 2017, 01:45 PM |#5  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by drtweak

it is saying invalid zip file format when i tried to install it!!
ashutosh.heda
8th March 2014, 04:08 AM |#6  

More
Unhappy Still Status 7 Error
Quote:
Originally Posted by pointystar

Trying to download a custom rom to my galaxy grand n7000 and after following all ur steps accurately still persisting with the status 7 Problem..
3rd June 2014, 10:32 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 265

More
i was getting the status 7 error with cwm 6.0.4.7...i installed philz recovery (cwm base: 6.0.4.8 ) and i was able to get past this dreaded error...thanks...
3rd August 2014, 11:52 AM |#8  
Flag home
Thanks Meter: 10

More
super
Super tutorial bro
Thanks
6th August 2014, 08:11 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by AA9

Super tutorial bro
Thanks

The assert trick didn't worked with my Note N7000. I recently repartitioned my internal storage flashing a custom PIT file so I got 6GB of "app storage". Since then, I'm unable to flash aby kernel from recovery mode. Stuff flashed through Odin seems to work. I could also flash SuperSU 0.95 (root only, no kernel) in stock recovery mode.
10th September 2014, 07:41 PM |#10  
Flag Tucumán
Thanks Meter: 291

Donate to Me
More
and Status 0 how to fix it? in this case?

i tried with:

* format my internal sd
* full wipe
* full format
* update my custom recovery

PS: my phone is a G900H. (S5)
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)