Bootable Root SDCard 1.4.0, 1.4.1, 1.4.2

Search This thread

brianf21

Oct 27, 2010
Davie, FL
I expanded on Indirect's bootable root sdcard and create an image that includes a update.zip image. The purpose of this is to root your Nook Tablet so additional software can be installed from the Android market or other sources. You will need a Micro SDCard that is at least 2 GB. If you want to add additional applications, flash this image to the sdcard then put your sdcard in the computer, open up the update.zip file and add your applications to the data folder. This has been tested on 1.4.0, 1.4.1, and 1.4.2 and everything works. Once your nook tablet has been root, you can reformat your sdcard from within the nook and use it as you normally would. Remember, if you have to do this again, you can just reflash the image to the sdcard.

This will add the following:

root
superuser
gapps
unknown sources hack
ez file explorer
adw launcher
Home Catcher
Home Manager (allows you to switch between launchers easily)
BHT
busybox
NT Hidden Setting
GetJar
Amazon App Store
Slashtop HD (Free from getjar)

Unzip file
Flash the image to an SDCard greater than 2GB
Power Down Nook
Put in sdcard
Boot nook
Choose "Apply update.zip from sdcard"
When it is finish, remove sdcard and choose reboot.

Thanks quid246 for pointing out an issue with the permissions.

Download image file:
http://www.mediafire.com/?r2z56nq7c8lu717

Download imaging software
https://launchpad.net/win32-image-writer/0.5/0.5/+download/win32diskimager-binary.zip

Last edited:

Singingdrum

Jul 1, 2011
Is everything on this one download, rather than Indirect's 3 download files? Or is this just the img file?

Singingdrum

Jul 1, 2011
Thanks Brian. Worked just fine. I do have a question, though. I don't get the Amazon app store and the only g apps I get are search and the market? Somebody in the other forum mentioned google plus. I don't have that, gmail, or anything else. Am I supposed to?

Land Master

Jun 18, 2010
Highlands Ranch, CO.
wait, so you used other peoples work and didn't give credit? You added a single line and called it your own? This thread should be closed.

What came first the chicken or the egg? Let me try...

1) Indirect creates the 1.4.1 SD Card root method
2) Indirect enlists the help of brianf21 to "finish what he started"
3) Indirect disappears from the thread never to be seen again
4) Albert creates his SD card thread
5) Brian takes his work and creates a thread where he has control of the OP

Is this close? As someone who has been on this site pretty much everyday for a couple of weeks now I "assumed" that Albert's cards were simply Indirect/Brian stuff packaged with better instructions. Is this true? If not I apologize.

brianf21

Oct 27, 2010
Davie, FL
wait, so you used other peoples work and didn't give credit? You added a single line and called it your own? This thread should be closed.

Indirect asked for help in regards to adding the unknown sources hack and in addition to that, I added other apps and your BHT binaries and busybox. Indirect, had one zip for root and another zip for GAPPS. This does that and more. So, it was more then just one line. I assumed Albert and Indirect were working together on their zips.

mogrith

Jul 30, 2010
Brea
www.mogrith.com
Just did update today. Only thing I noted was clockwork update did not give me load update.zip directly. Ihate to select install.zip then point it to update.zip.

That did work just fine.

Thanks

albertwertz

Dec 8, 2011
Wolfforth, TX
Just for clarifications sake. I have had a compilation thread on rooting with SD cards as new processes have evolved since January 11th at http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1439630. This includes your work brian and others and all credit has been given. I have shot video tutorials and hosted my own files. Also, Indirect and I do not work together on zips. Everyone here works independently, unless otherwise specified. I sometimes mention "we" when referring to developers in my videos because I am talking about the community. So, no, indirect and I do not work together on a single project. We have become friends since we were the first ones to achieve root together and document it, He did not have a nook tablet and I did, we shared my desktop over the net and he programmed the root while I controlled the tablet. We also talk occasionally over gtalk. Other than that... This is why I posted that this thread looks familiar, because it did look very similar to the thread I already created.

---------- Post added at 07:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:15 PM ----------

Looking at your files, it looks like you were able to perfect many flash file errors that were previously causing problems. I do like the setup you have but I am confused on why you are forcing the end user to partition 2 gigs. That file is huge and takes forever to generate the image. Just a suggestion.

---------- Post added at 07:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:44 PM ----------

Brian, were you able to include the live wallpaper hack? and the keyboard hack? this is something that was left out of the SD card root method and was included in the original zergy hack.

brianf21

Oct 27, 2010
Davie, FL
Just for clarifications sake. I have had a compilation thread on rooting with SD cards as new processes have evolved since January 11th at http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1439630. This includes your work brian and others and all credit has been given. I have shot video tutorials and hosted my own files. Also, Indirect and I do not work together on zips. Everyone here works independently, unless otherwise specified. I sometimes mention "we" when referring to developers in my videos because I am talking about the community. So, no, indirect and I do not work together on a single project. We have become friends since we were the first ones to achieve root together and document it, He did not have a nook tablet and I did, we shared my desktop over the net and he programmed the root while I controlled the tablet. We also talk occasionally over gtalk. Other than that... This is why I posted that this thread looks familiar, because it did look very similar to the thread I already created.

---------- Post added at 07:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:15 PM ----------

Looking at your files, it looks like you were able to perfect many flash file errors that were previously causing problems. I do like the setup you have but I am confused on why you are forcing the end user to partition 2 gigs. That file is huge and takes forever to generate the image. Just a suggestion.

---------- Post added at 07:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:44 PM ----------

Originally, I did not have an sdcard to work with so I just create an empty file and mounted it as a sdcard and worked with that. A lot of people were having problems so I went out and picked up a 2gb card so I could test it myself. At that point, I just dd'ed the sdcard to create the image. I can make it smaller for future images.

Brian, were you able to include the live wallpaper hack? and the keyboard hack? this is something that was left out of the SD card root method and was included in the original zergy hack.

I can add these features. Could you please give me the links to the fixes (wallpaper and keyboard hack)? With work and all, I just haven't had the time to keep up with all progress that people are making with the Nook Tablet. Also, could you send me your gmail account should I need to contact you?

Last edited:

brianf21

Oct 27, 2010
Davie, FL
Just did update today. Only thing I noted was clockwork update did not give me load update.zip directly. Ihate to select install.zip then point it to update.zip.

That did work just fine.

Thanks

I noticed that it doesn't always mount the /sdcard. If you mount the sdcard from within CWM, then it will find the update.zip. Why this happens, I do not know.

richard head

Aug 13, 2011
This is about the third one of these things I can't seem to get to work.

Before, it would randomly boot into CWM and then abort when I tried to install something. Now, with this file, I can't even get into CWM. Driving me nuts. I put the damn thing on the SD card after unzipping it, is it just giving me hell because I put the nook through a factory reset trying to get the other file to flash correctly?

Reactions: shulzari

lavero.burgos

Mar 5, 2011
This is about the third one of these things I can't seem to get to work.

Before, it would randomly boot into CWM and then abort when I tried to install something. Now, with this file, I can't even get into CWM. Driving me nuts. I put the damn thing on the SD card after unzipping it, is it just giving me hell because I put the nook through a factory reset trying to get the other file to flash correctly?

Partition your sdcard using this instrutions boot into CWM wipe data, advanced> dalvik cache and you're good to flash a new ROM like CM7>> it formats system while installing so you dont have to do that, if you go back to stock do the wipes, its better to start fresh when you flash a new ROM.

~ Veronica

Singingdrum

Jul 1, 2011
Lost root, can't side load with NT Hidden Settings app on

I just noticed that in the past few days my NT upgraded from 1.4.0 to 1.4.1 even though I rooted with the method in this thread and turned off ota updating with the NT HIdden Settings app. So it's looking to me that this is not actually turning off the ota's. I just thought I'd mention this so anyone using this method uses another method to block updates.

blackomegax

Jul 8, 2007
A report on new 8gb tablets. Shipped with 1.4.2.
Tried every method out there: all of these methods out there result in the stock factory recovery prompt.

Reactions: shulzari

darkquota

Nov 19, 2011
I just tried this out after updating to 1.4.2, and it works successfully (16 GB NT), so I suppose you can change the title to 1.4.0, 1.4.1, and 1.4.2 :). I used the Win32DiskImager from indirect's thread to flash the image to my SD card in case anyone is still unclear on it.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I expanded on Indirect's bootable root sdcard and create an image that includes a update.zip image. The purpose of this is to root your Nook Tablet so additional software can be installed from the Android market or other sources. You will need a Micro SDCard that is at least 2 GB. If you want to add additional applications, flash this image to the sdcard then put your sdcard in the computer, open up the update.zip file and add your applications to the data folder. This has been tested on 1.4.0, 1.4.1, and 1.4.2 and everything works. Once your nook tablet has been root, you can reformat your sdcard from within the nook and use it as you normally would. Remember, if you have to do this again, you can just reflash the image to the sdcard.

This will add the following:

root
    superuser
    gapps
    unknown sources hack
    ez file explorer
    adw launcher
    Home Catcher
    Home Manager (allows you to switch between launchers easily)
    BHT
    busybox
    NT Hidden Setting
    GetJar
    Amazon App Store
    Slashtop HD (Free from getjar)

Unzip file
    Flash the image to an SDCard greater than 2GB
    Power Down Nook
    Put in sdcard
    Boot nook
    Choose "Apply update.zip from sdcard"
    When it is finish, remove sdcard and choose reboot.

Thanks quid246 for pointing out an issue with the permissions.

Download image file:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?r2z56nq7c8lu717

Download imaging software
    https://launchpad.net/win32-image-writer/0.5/0.5/+download/win32diskimager-binary.zip
    Is everything on this one download, rather than Indirect's 3 download files? Or is this just the img file?

One download; unzip the image; flash the image; boot

What came first the chicken or the egg? Let me try...

1) Indirect creates the 1.4.1 SD Card root method
    2) Indirect enlists the help of brianf21 to "finish what he started"
    3) Indirect disappears from the thread never to be seen again
    4) Albert creates his SD card thread
    5) Brian takes his work and creates a thread where he has control of the OP

Is this close? As someone who has been on this site pretty much everyday for a couple of weeks now I "assumed" that Albert's cards were simply Indirect/Brian stuff packaged with better instructions. Is this true? If not I apologize.
    message 1 line 1
    I expanded on Indirect's bootable root sdcard and create an image that includes a update.zip image

Looks like giving credit to me...
    I just tried this out after updating to 1.4.2, and it works successfully (16 GB NT), so I suppose you can change the title to 1.4.0, 1.4.1, and 1.4.2 :). I used the Win32DiskImager from indirect's thread to flash the image to my SD card in case anyone is still unclear on it.