Apr 29, 2009
Saratoga Springs, Utah
How to rollback from ICS leak

***THIS WILL WIPE YOUR DATA***

What you need:

EUU from Timmydean of 3.2.1 V4
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1307539

Your CPUID
Your CPUID was probably changed when you flashed the ICS leak.

How you can find it in the ICS leak

Download and install a terminal emulator from the market and enter in the following.

dmesg > /mnt/sdcard/dmesg.txt

Copy that file to your computer and open it or open it in a text editor on your A500

Look for androidboot.serialno= and the number is listed is your CPUID.

***DO NOT PLUG TABLET INTO COMPUTER UNTIL STEP ******
1. Download and extract root-3.2.1-V4
2. Run PBJ20upgrade.exe (right click and run as administrator).
3. Click Ok on Make sure your ICONIA TAB is not connected to a computer. If a "New Hardware Wizard" window appears, click "Cancel".
4. Click Next
5. Let it install the USB drivers
6. Click Next on Go to Settings/Applications/Development to enable "USB debugging" (see the picture)
7. It will try and scan for the current image version and new image version, this will take about 5 minutes.

Follow the steps to get your A500 into APX mode.
1. Turn off the ICONIA TAB by long pressing the power button for 5 seconds.
2. Use a paperclip to push the reset button, don't release it.
3. Press the power button for 3 seconds.
4. Release the power button
5. Wait for 1 sec and take out the paperclip.
6. Use the USB cable to connect ICONIA TAB and PC
7. Click Yes
THIS WILL WIPE YOUR DATA.

8. Type in your CPUID, click next.

This will reset your tablet to a Rooted 3.2.1. Once it boots up you can install Acer Recovery installer from the market and install CWM recovery and restore your ROM or flash a new one.

Ping192

Dec 21, 2011
Hoofddorp
Thanks, i did this last night. There is another way with CWM directly installed, so you can do a CWM nand restore immediately after the process. I'll post that later today. Currently at the swimmingpool for my son's swimming lessons.

Sent from my Ping192's Custom ROM using xda premium

Last edited:

vizzzy

Apr 28, 2011
Zaandam
On a501

this should work on a501 too right? coz i dont see any androidboot.serialno in my dmesg.txt

edit :- it works. dmesg > /mnt/sdcard/dmesg.txt has to be issued in terminal within few seconds after we reboot the system.

Last edited:

Sanien

Aug 12, 2008
THANKS!

What you need:

Your CPUID

Download and install a terminal emulator from the market and enter in the following.

Copy that file to your computer and open it or open it in a text editor on your A500

3. Click Ok on Make sure your ICONIA TAB is not connected to a computer. If a "New Hardware Wizard" window appears, click "Cancel".
4. Click Next
6. Click Next on Go to Settings/Applications/Development to enable "USB debugging" (see the picture)
7. It will try and scan for the current image version and new image version, this will take about 5 minutes.

7. Click Yes

This will reset your tablet to a Rooted 3.2.1. Once it boots up you can install Acer Recovery installer from the market and install CWM recovery and restore your ROM or flash a new one.

Nice 1! As the fool I was I didn't make a backup before flashing ICS haha

Thanks man.

darkensx

Feb 18, 2011
Dalton NH
ASUS ROG Phone 3
Did you paste your cpuid with the 0x in front? if so remove them. add only 16 digits.

no i removed the 0x before pasting it and if i enter it a 2nd time it accepts it but progress bar looks and stays like this forever
[|||||||_________________________]
never moves passed that also the tab wont enter recovery says the recovery.img is incorrect or something to that effect.

Scanlia

Sep 9, 2010
Dunno why but it says please download the newer image for the upgrade... then just an exit button... does nothin?
EDIT: Never mind... I re-read the post... but I accidentally pulled the USB while it was 'upgrading' is that a problem as now it doesn't work any more?
EDIT2: Oh thank god! It tells you when it works because it says enter Acer Download Mode in the top left in small writing. Seems pretty fool-proof and robust to me, thank you JazzyJames.
EDIT3: Oh crap it failed again... now it wants me to restart it.. :'(
EDIT4: All good 3.2 booted! Thanks again.
(I put all this up for the people like me so they don't have multiple heart attacks either.)

Last edited:

vizzzy

Apr 28, 2011
Zaandam
no i removed the 0x before pasting it and if i enter it a 2nd time it accepts it but progress bar looks and stays like this forever
[|||||||_________________________]
never moves passed that also the tab wont enter recovery says the recovery.img is incorrect or something to that effect.

That's more like your PC not recognizing your tablet in apx mode then. Make sure the driver is installed. If you go to device manager you will be able to check if the driver is installed or not.

nifterific

Jan 1, 2012
i must be screwing up something simple, because when i try and get into apx mode the tablet vibrates, shows the black acer screen and instantly shuts down. i can power on just fine without holding reset but cant figure out apx mode.

a couple times i managed to get it to boot into the lock screen, says "Charging, 0%" with my wifi connecting but no screen response. works fine after a 5-second power button shut off and rebooting. cant figure out apx mode at all for some reason.

Last edited:

jazzyjames

Apr 29, 2009
Saratoga Springs, Utah
i must be screwing up something simple, because when i try and get into apx mode the tablet vibrates, shows the black acer screen and instantly shuts down. i can power on just fine without holding reset but cant figure out apx mode.

a couple times i managed to get it to boot into the lock screen, says "Charging, 0%" with my wifi connecting but no screen response. works fine after a 5-second power button shut off and rebooting. cant figure out apx mode at all for some reason.

The best way to know if your in APX mode is when the screen is off and your power button is white. You don't need to be EXACT on the times of holding down power and reset, the main thing is.

Hold Reset atleast 3 seconds
Continue to hold reset and add power button.
Release power after about 3 seconds.
Then release reset, screen will be blank and power button is white, I myself noticed it works best if the tablet is not fully charged and not plugged into charge.

Reactions: nifterific

nifterific

Jan 1, 2012
The best way to know if your in APX mode is when the screen is off and your power button is white. You don't need to be EXACT on the times of holding down power and reset, the main thing is.

Hold Reset atleast 3 seconds
Continue to hold reset and add power button.
Release power after about 3 seconds.
Then release reset, screen will be blank and power button is white, I myself noticed it works best if the tablet is not fully charged and not plugged into charge.

got it, thanks a ton :)

You should have posted a freaking warning that this deleted EVERYTHING off of our tablets. I lost pictures of my daughter that I'll never get back because of this method and there was no warning what so ever. Generally wiping data means wiping data, not /mnt/sdcard.

Last edited:

CheopsChefren

Mar 20, 2010
Just a question before jumping on this: I have installed the leaked stock 4.0.3, so I lost everything with regards to rooting. Also I can not use Busybox, SuperUser, CWM et all on my Iconia.
With this method I can fallback to 3.2.1 even though I have the stock leaked 4.0.3 installed?
Also the CPUID is not the original one from before flashing the stock 4.0.3, but the CPUID I got from flashing with 4.0.3. Is this a problem?

---------- Post added at 07:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:04 PM ----------

You should have posted a freaking warning that this deleted EVERYTHING off of our tablets. I lost pictures of my daughter that I'll never get back because of this method and there was no warning what so ever. Generally wiping data means wiping data, not /mnt/sdcard.

I am sure there are recovery tools - surely for Windows - who can help you get your "lost" pictures back.

Last edited:

vizzzy

Apr 28, 2011
Zaandam
Just a question before jumping on this: I have installed the leaked stock 4.0.3, so I lost everything with regards to rooting. Also I can not use Busybox, SuperUser, CWM et all on my Iconia.
With this method I can fallback to 3.2.1 even though I have the stock leaked 4.0.3 installed?
Also the CPUID is not the original one from before flashing the stock 4.0.3, but the CPUID I got from flashing with 4.0.3. Is this a problem?

No issues. get the cpuid of from your current rom and follow this method to downgrade. It will work.

wolverine423

Feb 22, 2011
Tennessee

What have we learned?
Back-up files that are important to you.
Take the time to learn about what these tools do before using them.

That being said, the OP should include that ALL data on the tablet will be wiped.

PS: /mnt/sdcard is actually in the data partition (/data/media). Custom recoveries skip over the /media directory when doing a data wipe, by default.

Last edited:

k2thejx5

Aug 10, 2008
Sacramento
Jesus..i spent so many hours trying to get the computer to see the tablet in apx mode and it just won't..any ideas on how to get the drivers installed correctly? Adb is installed and i have rooted quite a number of phones so i know its not Adb:(

Edit: Got it! I had to manually add the damn drivers through device manager.. thank you everyone for the help!!

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

What you need:

Your CPUID

4. Click Next

7. Click Yes

Dunno why but it says please download the newer image for the upgrade... then just an exit button... does nothin?
    EDIT: Never mind... I re-read the post... but I accidentally pulled the USB while it was 'upgrading' is that a problem as now it doesn't work any more?
    EDIT2: Oh thank god! It tells you when it works because it says enter Acer Download Mode in the top left in small writing. Seems pretty fool-proof and robust to me, thank you JazzyJames.
    EDIT3: Oh crap it failed again... now it wants me to restart it.. :'(
    EDIT4: All good 3.2 booted! Thanks again.
    (I put all this up for the people like me so they don't have multiple heart attacks either.)
    Thanks for writing this up.

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk
    did not work for me, it says something along the line "newer firmware" and exit is the only option :(

do you mean the "download newer image" screen?????? As i said in my post
    you see this screen becoz yr tab is connected to your pc and it shouldn't be

Do this once you have your uid:

Make sure your ICONIA TAB is not connected to a computer!!!!!.

Run PBJ20upgrade.exe (right click and run as administrator).

Tab will scan for current and new image version, this will take a few minutes, and becoz you are not connected to your computer, then:

You will see a "Cannot detect ICONIA TAB "screen:

Then follow the instructions on that screen to get into apx mode.

Once you are in apx mode, your tab screen will go black.

you then connect to your computer to begin the flash process...

bootloader version can be detected with Acer Recovery Installer or cwm

Well first let me apologize for my noobness and stupidity -_- I didn't read thru the directions correctly and plugged my tablet in too soon causing the error. I apologize and thank for correcting me

I'll accept your apology if you accept mine:eek:...I'm sorry I was a bit harsh on you,
    Let's hope u can get yourself up n running again without too much trouble:)