Search This thread

ElfinJNoty

Jun 25, 2009
New Haven, CT
www.blissroms.com
LG G4
OnePlus 6
Thank you guys for reporting back... I attempted on D.I.R.T.y ICS 1.0 and had no luck. Sorry for not do a little more testing myself before my first post.

I am more then happy to do some leg work for this. I am not sure what you mean by "userland tools" though. If ya tell me, in noob language(I still speak that from time to time;) ) an idea of what would be helpful... I'm thinking driver? I will dig through whatever I can find to assist.

I am all about helping you help me help you! Thanks for the consideration and look forward to offering any contribution I can.

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA

Putrid Polecat

Apr 12, 2012
Buffalo
Just some tests of internal storage. Mine is 800-ish and standard for Pc36100 is 500-ish. Pretty darn good. I'm eagerly anticipating the latest io improvements.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1338882849478.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1338882849478.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 413
Last edited:

atyoung

Retired Recognized Developer
Aug 9, 2011
Eugene, OR
atyoung.blogspot.com
Just some tests of internal storage. Mine is 800-ish and standard for Pc36100 is 500-ish. Pretty darn good. I'm eagerly anticipating the latest io improvements.

I'm in the process of a major overhaul of the I/O subsystem, so I might be pming you when I have a test or two running so you can do your benchmark thing.

Reactions: Putrid Polecat

BuddaBelly

May 2, 2010
Guthrie, OK
I'm not really sure what's good or bad with the io test but I do know io performance was better for me on GB but I have a feeling with atyoung working on it things will get faster. Here are my results from my one and only test.
44e5fdc7-ad5a-fbf0.jpg
44e5fdc7-ad68-b2b4.jpg

Sent from my HTC Evo 4G using Tapatalk 2

atyoung

Aug 9, 2011
Eugene, OR
atyoung.blogspot.com
That's some of the best io speeds I've seen on an evo. Is that on a ICS rom or gingerbread? What class card you using? What io scheduler are you using?

It should go without saying I/O with gingerbread is way better than ICS. The reasons for this are too numerous to name, but suffice it to say that you will see a fairly major difference between the two, until such time as I or someone like me is able to get things in the block up to snuff, which is half the reason I've been spending so much time on 15.

BuddaBelly

May 2, 2010
Guthrie, OK
Which is why I stick to this kernel like glue. Thanks again for your hard work. Its definitely appreciated.

Sinyc

Jul 9, 2009
Here are some of my benchmarks. Very impressed with IO. Can't wait for your next release. On GB btw.

4cbdf80e-c498-80a8.jpg

4cbdf80e-c4ab-a037.jpg

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G using xda premium.

Putrid Polecat

Apr 12, 2012
Buffalo
That's some of the best io speeds I've seen on an evo. Is that on a ICS rom or gingerbread? What class card you using? What io scheduler are you using?

The 800 I mentioned is the random read score. It is great for Pc36100 but not as good as stock sensation.

I am running:
Deck Reloaded. 44 GB
Mason. 15 rls 3 sbc NON-fso
Oc'd to 1152
Wheatley gov
Deadline
Not running any a2sd

I wasn't testing the sdcard but for the record I have a class 4 32gb samsung.

Here are all the benchmarks scores for internal storage:

45cc6c1c-da22-8a19.jpg

And here they are for sdcard:

45cc6c1c-d793-a6f0.jpg

Last edited:

Sinyc

Jul 9, 2009
Yours are sdcard tests, fyi, not internal storage. Ill do those as well when atyoung gets out the new build.

Yea, I've been running lots of internal tests, but my results are not so impressive. Thought those were internal, I have so many screenshots. My bad. Here are the most recent internal.

4cbdf80e-d6f9-a10b.jpg

4cbdf80e-d706-b33a.jpg

Edit. Just a SQL run. Running latest cm7, .15rc3 SBC non fso, 499 MHz wheatley, deadline.

4cbdf80e-d836-ebff.jpg

Last edited:

atyoung

Aug 9, 2011
Eugene, OR
atyoung.blogspot.com
Yea, I've been running lots of internal tests, but my results are not so impressive. Thought those were internal, I have so many screenshots. My bad. Here are the most recent internal.

Edit. Just a SQL run. Running latest cm7, .15rc3 SBC non fso, 499 MHz wheatley, deadline.

Internal is bogged down by that substandard filesystem we use. yaffs2 is not nearly as fast as ext4 in just about every aspect I can think of. Android adopted ext4 as the standard some time ago, but the supersonic wasn't built for that. I haven't had time to test my theory that infact we could run on ext4 internal, however I have such a build in mind. It would vastly change how things are done however, and would probably need a specialized rom build to make it happen. If I get proof of concept going there, we could see a fairly major increase in I/O across the board. You'll find devices like the gnex use ext4 exclusively.

teh roxxorz

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 21, 2010
In other news, if you haven't been reading the blog, there will be a slight delay in Mason 15 as I am putting the supersonic build of AOKP in order. That will be consuming me till I can get our supersonic back up to speed on that ROM.

Haven't been following as of late, due to new job, but thank you for the update. Hope the work goes well.

ropodope

Feb 1, 2011
Floor Me
In other news, if you haven't been reading the blog, there will be a slight delay in Mason 15 as I am putting the supersonic build of AOKP in order. That will be consuming me till I can get our supersonic back up to speed on that ROM.
oh yeah!

ropodope

Heat it up! Burn it out! I've got a job to do, giving it all to you!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    masonsymbol500x500.png

Introducing the Mason kernel.

This started as a project to bring sbc to the supersonic ICS aokp rom. However I decided to go ahead and move forward with moving over some of the fine work that is going on for the Nexus line and bring it over to our beloved evo4g. I want to stress that to my knowledge the things that will be included beyond what is in tiamat/CM9 proper are not very well tested on our platform.

The overwhelming goal is to bring performance and stability improvements to the supersonic platform. The original idea, had a little less scope. I have now broadened its scope to include ICS, GB, and even Sense soon. The project will actually breed a whole line of kernels built for the supersonic with the needs of it's community in mind. Let's breathe some new life into our platform.

Thanks to the evervolv team without which we wouldn't have ICS on the supersonic at the moment.

Kernel Features:

CPU Frequency governors: conservative, ondemand, ondemandX, interactive, interactiveX, smartass, smartassV2, intellidemand, SavagedZen, minmax, lulzactive, lazy, lagfree, userspace, powersave, Lionheart, brazillianwax

I/O Schedulers: deadline (flash optimized), vr, noop, cfq, bfq, sio

HAVS, KSM (I series), Ext2/3/4, NTFS

Variants:

nosbc - Standard kernel without sbc
    sbc - Smart Battery Control
    hwa - Hardware Acceleration
    fso - File synchronization off

Note on FSO:

I provide this without any warranty at all (not that I do with anything else). Yes, fso makes things faster, it's for the speed hungry among you, however there is the potential, however slight that you can get corrupted data on a crash. Do not run this without a proper nand, it's just a bad idea. I haven't personally had any issues, but that doesn't mean that in theory it can't happen. It's a very strong possibility however slight it might be. The price you pay for speed I suppose.

Note on SBC:

There are some out there who find sbc and unholy abomination. Though again I have not experienced issues personally, there are some out there that claim that it can damage your battery, particularly the lifetime of the battery. There is data to support both sides of this argument, and I'm not here to go over all that. But be warned that it may cause some battery issues, and take care that you are both advised of the risks and willing to take them for some extra juice.

TODO:
    Code:
    * Slated for v0.15/6 sense variant. Yeah you heard me, all your kernels r belong to us.

* Slated for v0.15 Various performance optimizations relating to RCU and power consumption.

* Slated for v0.15 2 more governors.

* Slated for v0.15 Backport of cpufreq from linux 3.0.y.

* Slated for v0.2 Merging of the lines to give us one base kernel instead of 2.

* Slated for v0.3 Linux v3.x.x Lot of work to be done here. Lots of 3.x.x code already being back ported.

Instructions:

Apply with your custom recovery. Amen Ra Style Recovery 3.11 recommended (But not required).

Changelog:
    Code:
    v0.14 - Feature/Maintenance -
      * Added brazillianwax cpufreq governor
      * HWA support in the form of variant
      * Tweaks to RCU
      * Additional tweaks to I/O
      * SLQB
      * KSM
      * FSO

v0.12 - Feature release - Catching us up with the nexus lines set of options.

* Added ondemandX cpufreq governor
      * Added interactiveX cpufreq governor
      * Added minmax cpufreq governor
      * Added SavagedZen cpufreq governor
      * Added Lionheart cpufreq governer
      * Added intellidemand cpufreq governer
      * Deadline tuned for better performance with regard to flash based memory
      * Minor code cleanup

v0.10 - Initial release -

* Moved away from the default config and excluded some things that are really only suited for testing reducing overhead.
      * Added Lazy cpufreq governor
      * Added lulzactive cpufreq governor
      * Added ondemand cpufreq governor
      * Added ext2 support
      * Added ext3 support
      * Added ntfs support
      * Enabled SBC.

Current Builds:

Mason G series:
    Suitable for non hardware accelerated roms, including gingerbread AOSP roms. Works on things like Decks GB 1.3d, and AOKP ICS.

G - v0.14 sbc Mirror 1 (Mediafire) MD5 74da6e014bcdae9db3dd4e80463736c4

G - v0.14 sbc fso Mirror 1 (Mediafire) MD5 e5234c781f2570f81c54e051021bc106

G - v0.14 nosbc fso Mirror 1 (Mediafire) MD5 8c5bc95fd33afd550a53791ab3fa3f8e

Mason I series:
    Suitable for hardware accelerated ICS roms. Latest Evervolv preview builds and decks prebetas.

I - v0.14 sbc Mirror 1 (Mediafire) MD5 78de4224872ca118f671832f2d2359ed

I - v0.14 nonsbc Mirror 1 (Mediafire) MD5 991741161bbf03468d5c66e8f97390f2

I - v0.14 sbc fso Mirror 1 (Mediafire) MD5 97b47a4624b3eb714fb2e05350e485c2

I - v0.14 nonsbc fso Mirror 1 (Mediafire) MD5 9bc6d5e59b92c4943959f66778fe3781

Mason S series:
    Suitable for gingerbread sense roms.

(Comming soon)

Legacy versions:
    Only tested functional on non hardware accelerated roms such as AOKP and Decks GB 1.3d, considered G series Mason.

G - v0.12 sbc - Mirror 1 (dev-host) Mirror 2 (mediafire)

G - v0.12 nosbc - Mirror 1 (dev-host) Mirror 2 (mediafire)

G - v0.10 sbc - Mirror 1 (dev-host) Mirror 2 (mediafire)

Credits:
    Code:
    preludedrew for the supersonic device tree that makes every supersonic ICS go.
    drewis for so much kernel work it's literally amazing.
    caynairb for such a great base for which us that are playing with the supersonic kernel have to work with.
    cyanogenmod team for kernel tree and all their hard work.
    franciscofranco, faux123 for lots of things kernel related.
    Knzo, Tegrak, Ezekeel, jsseidel, Erasmux, imoseyon, Mike Chan, Venkatesh Pallipadi, Alexey Starikovskiy, for governor work.

ngh55 for logo love.

This list could go on forever.

My Blog. My GitHub.

Side note:

I will try my hardest to maintain both this and the rootzwiki thread as time allows. That said let's keep the discussion pleasant and on the topic of bugs and features supersonic users would like to see either quashed or provided respectively. I feel bad for slightly hijacking the aokp and other ICS threads so lets move the kernel relevant conversation here.
    Useful bug reporting:

* Include the Rom you are running.
    * Include the kernel version you are running.
    * Include any custom settings you have changed cpu governor/io scheduler/cpufreq scale etc.
    * Include any tweak scripts you may be running.
    * Include any voltage changes you might be running.
    * Include what you expected to happen.
    * Include what really happened.
    * Include if you can reproduce the bug at will.
    * Include logcat and/or any other logging mechanisms you might have available. OS Monitor is a fine choice.
    * Include screenshots if possible/applicable.

Be as detailed as possible. Good bug reporting is a great way to add to the community, even if you aren't a developer, this is a excellent way to give back.
    One more to be safe.
    This sounds awesome, thanks for all your work on our EVOs. Do you anticipate a release in the upcoming week? I'm not asking for any promises or ETA. Just curious how the progress is coming along.

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA

I'm not sure if it will be this week or not. I had some very ambitious plans for 15, but some of those features need extensive performance testing to determine if they are truly valuable on our platform. Zcache for instance, which in theory should improve performance, however I haven't built up enough running data to prove that is so. I have 22 feature branches of my main line that are in various stages of testing for things that may or may not make it into 15 at the moment. Whats in the bag currently for sure: XZ compressed kernel for faster boot time, scary governor, wheatley governor, new crc32 algorithm that uses native c code with a slice by 8 so its wicked fast compared to the lib we were using before and adds a dash of speed to everything from tcp to the filesystem, as well numerous 3.0 code ports.

Okay can someone update me on all of the governors, I haven't really installed a new kernal since Tiamat 3.3.7 so I'm a little behind. I just want to know what everyone thinks is best for for long battery life but I don't want to sacrifice speed. On Tiamat I used either interactive or conservative depending on the ROM/what I fealt like at the time.

Thanks
    Urge

Well you should feel right at home. Mason is a fork of tiamat really, though it seems to move more and more a different direction every day I work on it. The ones you know aren't much different than you remember. The new ones should be covered in the various posts linked in previous posts.

You might as well use performance. It's effectively the same thing. Lulzactive is broken and stays at max frequency. That's why atyoung isn't including it in the next version.

Indeed this is true. I think wheatley will be the new hotness on the evo, but that's just me.
    I gotta say man, you've got to be my new favorite dev. The quick updates, replies etc. Just great.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Just wait till I really get going. ;) I have a rom planned as well as about 5 applications. You'll be seeing a lot from me here in not too long.

Sent from my HTC Evo 4G using XDA