[ROOT] Howto root easily your Gen8 device [fw 2.0.71 - 2.4.83] + R/W FILESYSTEM

Search This thread

kingkong07

Jun 5, 2006
Chulri, I had follow your method for permanent root my A70 with the F/W 2.1.8, however, when i run the root explorer, i cannot "mount R/O", any idea what was happend and any solution to it?? Many Thx!!

chrulri

Dec 7, 2010
@kingkong07 why would you mount system r/o when you explicitly installed the r/w initramfs??
short answer: it's not possible to mount system read-only, if you wan't read-only system use stock android system.

Reactions: kingkong07

kingkong07

Jun 5, 2006
Thx Chulri, as i want to change the font in my archos 70, according to some teaching guide, i need to install root explorer. while i run the root explorer, I foun that the "mount R/O" button not working..

chrulri

Dec 7, 2010
I've never used this button and I don't know it's purpose. You have read-write filesystem and it doesn't make any sense to me to remount it in read-only mode. so just ignore that little button ;)

chrulri

Dec 7, 2010
Thx again, but i cannot copy the font file into /system/fonts. What should i do?
After using root explorer and pushing that "mount r/o" button I was facing the same problem. A reboot solved that problem.
Don't push the "mount r/o" button or the filesystem seems to be read-only for real :eek:
After the reboot I was able to copy and create files in root filesystem and in /system/fonts directory

kingkong07

Jun 5, 2006
After using root explorer and pushing that "mount r/o" button I was facing the same problem. A reboot solved that problem.
Don't push the "mount r/o" button or the filesystem seems to be read-only for real :eek:
After the reboot I was able to copy and create files in root filesystem and in /system/fonts directory

WOO many THX!!! This work!!!

joelia

Feb 24, 2011
chulri you should edit your first post with a clearer Archos warning about installing the SDE firmware such as this:
Important notices to be acknowledged before downloading and installing the SDE firmware:
- Once the SDE firmware is installed on a device, this device will be watermarked and ARCHOS will be able to detect that this firmware has been installed once.
- Installing the SDE firmware is considered by ARCHOS as a voiding of the warranty and ARCHOS declines all liability and responsibility for any issues resulting from the installation of this SDE firmware.
- ARCHOS strongly advises that only experts in embedded software development should install this firmware.
This firmware is provided "as is" and is not supported by ARCHOS.

Also you should link to the official Archos firmware page. Hotlinking to the SDE aos firmware would have cause users following your steps to miss the important notices about voiding warranty support after install SDE.

Last edited:

joelia

Feb 24, 2011
Ok but you make it ambiguous by using the word 'may', when it is very clear installing SDE will definitely void the warranty.

And again, you should replace your hotlinks to the SDE aos files, use the link to the general Archos update page. They have much more details there and also a final page for user to validate and acknowledge reading the notices before downloading.

rUmtifUsel

Oct 25, 2007
Hannover
www.lorenz.bz
After updating to 2.1.08 +rw my archos just did a bootloop. i've fixed this problem and now my 101 boots probably(2.1.08 +rw). but since the update my archos isn't anymore willing to connect to my wlan (wpa2/psk 54 mbit - linksys router). my archos finds the correct wlan, asks me for the correct key and then starts a neverending cycle of authenticating with my wlan, but never establishes the connection...

has anyone a good idea?

ske714

Jan 1, 2011
Ok but you make it ambiguous by using the word 'may', when it is very clear installing SDE will definitely void the warranty.

And again, you should replace your hotlinks to the SDE aos files, use the link to the general Archos update page. They have much more details there and also a final page for user to validate and acknowledge reading the notices before downloading.

I for one, like the links right where they are. As previously stated, if you're THAT worried about your warranty, DON"T root your phone. Most thinking people know that rooting is not authorized or condoned by the manufacturer. Technically, rooting any device in ANY way voids your warranty. I'm sure it says it right in there somewhere. I don't know because I've never read it. :)

edit:chulri himself has RMAed his tablet, and I'm pretty sure it had the SDE installed at some point. Lets wait and see if he gets a new one before we consider "may" ambiguous.

Last edited:

chrulri

Dec 7, 2010
After updating to 2.1.08 +rw my archos just did a bootloop. i've fixed this problem and now my 101 boots probably(2.1.08 +rw).
how did you fixed that and what was the problem?
but since the update my archos isn't anymore willing to connect to my wlan (wpa2/psk 54 mbit - linksys router). my archos finds the correct wlan, asks me for the correct key and then starts a neverending cycle of authenticating with my wlan, but never establishes the connection...

has anyone a good idea?
never had that problem before. wpa2 here too

rUmtifUsel

Oct 25, 2007
Hannover
www.lorenz.bz
My Archos started with Developer Edition, uninstalled Android Kernel and 2.1.04 +rw custom initramfs + kernel.
I've made the update by using 2.1.08 +rw custom initramfs + kernel.

Recoverymenu / Update Kernel & initramfs / copied the files / automatic reboot
the efford was a crystal clear bootloop :)

my solution was:
try to update kernel and initramfs once again. sadly that didn't work.
after that i've uninstalled the developer edition, reinstalled archos firmware 2.1.08, reinstalled developer edition, updated custom initramfs + kernel to version 2.1.08 +rw, deinstalled android kernel.

now my archos ist booting correctly, root access is granted.... but my wlan is not willing to connect. my archos sees all available wlans, tries to connect and then starts a neverending cycle of authenticating with my wlan, but never establishes the connection...

chrulri

Dec 7, 2010
I think your bootloop was caused because you installed the 2.1.08 kernel while having a 2.1.04 firmware installed. after you updated to 2.1.08 it's working.

now my archos ist booting correctly, root access is granted.... but my wlan is not willing to connect. my archos sees all available wlans, tries to connect and then starts a neverending cycle of authenticating with my wlan, but never establishes the connection...

Does it work when you boot the archos kernel? (if you removed it, just update the firmware again)

rUmtifUsel

Oct 25, 2007
Hannover
www.lorenz.bz

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello community

First of all, thanks to dogmaphobia for his initial work (click for fw 2.0.71)

Don't forget: I'm not responsible for anything ;)
    Installing SDE or rooting your Archos device in any way may or definitly will void your warranty. You can find more information about it on the Archos website: link

Now here we go, you need four things:
    1. An Archos Gen8 device (e.g. A101IT)
    2. Archos Firmware
      - 2.1.02: [Archos server]
      - 2.1.03: [Archos server, Mirror #1]
      - 2.1.04: [Archos server, Mirror #1]
      - 2.1.08: [Archos server]
      - 2.3.20: [Archos server]
      - 2.3.26: [Archos server]
      - 2.3.81: [Archos server]
      - 2.4.19: [Archos server]
      - 2.4.65: [Archos server]
      - 2.4.80: [Archos server]
      - 2.4.81: [Archos server]
      - 2.4.82: [Archos server]
      - 2.4.83: [Archos server]
    3. Archos SDE
      - [Archos server], [Mirror #1]
    4. Rooted initramfs + kernel
      - [fw 2.0.71 +rw]
      - [fw 2.1.02]
      - [fw 2.1.02 +rw]
      - [fw 2.1.03]
      - [fw 2.1.03 +rw]
      - [fw 2.1.04]
      - [fw 2.1.04 +rw]
      - [fw 2.1.08]
      - [fw 2.1.08 +rw]
      - [fw 2.3.20]
      - [fw 2.3.20 +rw]
      - [fw 2.3.26]
      - [fw 2.3.26 +rw]
      - [fw 2.3.81]
      - [fw 2.3.81 +rw]
      - [fw 2.4.19]
      - [fw 2.4.19 +rw]
      - [fw 2.4.65]
      - [fw 2.4.65 +rw]
      - [fw 2.4.80]
      - [fw 2.4.80 +rw]
      - [fw 2.4.81]
      - [fw 2.4.81 +rw]
      - [fw 2.4.82]
      - [fw 2.4.82 +rw]
      - [fw 2.4.83]
      - [fw 2.4.83 +rw]

*: +rw = permanent root, changes to filesystem will be stored in /dev/mmcblk0p2. it has ~30 megabytes free, this should be sufficient for most changes and scripts.
    BE CAREFULLY: if you delete or corrupt important system files and aren't able to boot anymore, you have to flash the "non-rw" root kernel+initramfs, go to /mnt/system/unionfs and remove the changes.

Then you have to the following:
    1. Install SDE (you only have to do this only once, it will even survive a full reformat)
      • reboot Archos device and hold down "Vol-" button after screen went black
      • choose "Update Firmware"
      • connect your Archos device by USB to your computer
      • upload the SDE firmware file to your device
      • safely disconnect the USB connection
      • press ok on Archos device
      • reboot
    2. Install android firmware
      • choose "Update Firmware"
      • connect your Archos device by usb to your computer
      • upload the Android firmware file to your device
      • reboot
    3. Install the custom kernel + initramfs
      • Go to "Recovery Menu" and then "Developer Edition Menu"
      • choose "Flash Kernel and Initramfs"
      • connect your Archos device by USB to your computer
      • upload zImage and initramfs.cpio.gz to your device
      • reboot and hold down "Vol-" button after screen went black
      • choose "Developer Edition"
      now you have temporary root (you always have to boot "Developer Edition" to get root again)
    4. (optional!) permanent root
      thus it will boot always the custom kernel (to revert, reinstall Android firmware)
      • Go to "Recovery Menu" and then "Developer Edition Menu"
      • choose "Remove Android Kernel"
      • reboot

For Updates:
    Just go like this:
    @Techngro
    I was in the same situation as you are: 2.1.03 and permanent root.
    Then did a firmware upgrade from the rescue menu, flashed the new kernel and initramfs and removed again the stock android kernel --> working :)

If it says "update failed" the aos file might be corrupt

Have fun! :D ;)

Big thanks to jfmcbrayer for helping me out!

Links for developers:
    FINALLY!

Thanks to jfmcbrayer (!!!), we can provide you an update for 2.4.81!
    Have a look in the first posting for links and howto update. :cool:

All credit to Chulri for this; I just followed the instructions written on the nice drool-proof paper.
    root (+/-rw) for fw 2.4.19 is online (see first posting) and I'm gonna be offline for two weeks (vacation ;))
    Ok, nice to know ;)

UPDATE: 2.1.08 (+rw) firmware root updates in start posting :cool:
    @bandit01 stfu, impatient little troll! :rolleyes:

@everyone except bandit01: rooting for fw 2.3.81 is available! see start post or project website for download links