FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Mer Linux Port

520 posts
Thanks Meter: 67

By JesusFreak316, Senior Member on 31st January 2010, 08:59 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I have been following the Android scene here pretty regularly but the os I have always really wanted is a full fledged Linux. I heard about, and wanted a N900 because of Maemo but I'm too poor to buy one . I then heard about the Mer project https://wiki.maemo.org/Mer to port Maemo to other devices and saw it booted on the kaiser http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=565480. On page two of that thread it is stated that someone (Mdrobnak) got it up and running pretty well on his Fuze with a couple tweaks to Xorg.conf, the kernel, and to the splash screen (resized to 640x480). I've been working over the past few days on getting it to start on my fuze but haret keeps giving errors about pc_clk_disable. I resized the splash, changed Xorg.conf to be 640x480 and did the rest of the directions on the Kaiser thread, but no luck. I would love to get a port of this going, as being able to use ~95% of Ubuntu packages working on my phone would be awesome. I wasn't quite sure how to patch the kernel; that would be the zImage, right? Any suggestions?

I'm going to be on #mer and #htc-linux irc on freenode quite a bit until we get this working well if anyone wants to discuss things, not that I can contribute much.

Would it be possible to create a rootfs.img file similar to how XDANDROID does it for people too lazy to partition their card or just plain suck like me?
31st January 2010, 09:58 PM |#2  
Retired Senior Moderator
Flag ಠ_ಠ
Thanks Meter: 700

More
Sounds interesting! Keep us updated!
31st January 2010, 10:20 PM |#3  
Flag Warszawa
Thanks Meter: 8

More
Oh god! Ill be in 7th heaven if it's going to be done!
I think you can use the zImage of xdandroid, maybe it'll work
31st January 2010, 10:38 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member

More
I tried the xdandroid zImage but it didn't work. This is really a call for help. I really don't know what I am doing, lol. I'm not even close to being a dev. Try out the steps on the Kaiser thread but use the stable 0.16 distribution as the testing links don't work. See if you can figure anything out.
1st February 2010, 08:36 AM |#5  
Flag Zwollywood
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Maemo on the Raph ? that would be great! maybe we could run it in dual boot with android and abandon WM for ever !
1st February 2010, 05:50 PM |#6  
Recognized Developer
Flag Paris
Thanks Meter: 4,250

Donate to Me
More
To get X working, use glemsom's kernel, and add msm_fb.fix_x=1 to cmdline.
For touchscreen, you might want to add msm_ts.raw=1 (but it can also work without it)
1st February 2010, 07:10 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by phhusson

To get X working, use glemsom's kernel, and add msm_fb.fix_x=1 to cmdline.
For touchscreen, you might want to add msm_ts.raw=1 (but it can also work without it)

Thanks, phh. Will try it when I get home.
1st February 2010, 10:01 PM |#8  
Retired Senior Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 259

Donate to Me
More
that's the old and ugly msm_fb refresh hack.

I will update here once I have xorg working on kovsky and kaiser.
2nd February 2010, 12:10 AM |#9  
OP Senior Member

More
Man, I actually feel like this is getting places. Got Phhusson from XDANDROID and dcordes from the original Android on Diamond thread. Quite the star power.
@dcordes: What needs to be edited to use VGA; just the first screen resolution dimensions in Xorg.conf?
2nd February 2010, 01:25 AM |#10  
Retired Senior Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 259

Donate to Me
More
what image are you using?
2nd February 2010, 01:38 AM |#11  
OP Senior Member

More
I'm using the Smartq5 from here: http://wiki.maemo.org/Mer/Releases/0.16. My main problem is with the kernel though I think; haret hangs after about 15 seconds; I'm gonna create a log of it.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)